• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dussck

Oct 27, 2017
The Netherlands
I think The Last of Us 2 in 2019 is a relatively safe prediction. Days Gone wasn't a 2019 game originally. It got delayed. Dreams was also a 2018 game that got delayed into 2019. Ghost of Tsushima was only 50% done as of E3 2018 so is unlikely to be a 2019 game.

You're only left with The Last of Us 2 and Death Stranding. And despite Sony not having release dates set until closer to completion of the title, they almost assuredly have an idea of when they want to release games for the sake of financial planning. That makes it more likely The Last of Us 2 was being planned as a 2019 title since something big from first party would have to be releasing, especially when PS5 is almost upon us.

Dreams was once a 2016 game. Delays happen. All the time.
That's why Sony is very careful with giving out release dates. They did not even dare to mention the year of release for those 3 titles.
I won't be surprised if Days Gone and Dreams would be their only titles this year.

orochi91

Oct 26, 2017
Canada
For better or worse, Sony seems to be extremely tight on leaks. What's the last time something noteworthy from Sony leaked in advance?
Recently, I'd say.

Benji teased a new unannounced major PS4 game from Sony.

Kinda wish more people would leak stuff about it, lol

NeoGAF had way more Sony leakers, for whatever reason.

Saint-14

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
For better or worse, Sony seems to be extremely tight on leaks. What's the last time something noteworthy from Sony leaked in advance?
I don't think Sony is tighter now, it's just that the people who used to leak stuff aren't doing it anymore, like Benji knows there is still a major unannounced exclusive but not saying anything about it.

Deleted member 43

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
Quick question: Does a game bundled with a console count towards sold-through copies?
Depends how it is bundled. If the game is in the box as part of an official bundle, no. If the bundle is being done by a store (or even being bankrolled by a platform holder), basically yes.

It largely comes down to if an individual game's SKU is scanned.

poklane

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
Recently, I'd say.

Benji teased a new unannounced major PS4 game from Sony.

Kinda wish more people would leak stuff about it, lol

NeoGAF had way more Sony leakers, for whatever reason.
I don't think Sony is tighter now, it's just that the people who used to leak stuff aren't doing it anymore, like Benji knows there is still a major unannounced exclusive but not saying anything about it.
Yeah, really wonder when that's gonna be announced, was expecting it at The Game Awards.

janusff

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
by insiders if you mean folks that cagely tease games and make it as vague as possible and sound like they know something and don't say shit even if they're not under NDA and just do it for attention, I could do without em tbh.

janusff

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
We have those in spades already. Give me gopher d style poems back
or a ntkrnl blowout. wew remember that?
what if there are insiders

but there's nothing to leak?
463326135883923478.png

DMVfan123

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Virginia
Sony fans clamoring for insiders/leaks like we don't have a wealth of exclusives on PS4 already released and upcoming in the next year or two
Do you really want the cycle of hype then disappointment over and over. Era Nintendo insiders haven't been exactly a role model of accuracy that any would want.
Hey, don't talk shit about Nintendo insiders on ResetEra!
You tryna die fam?

Couscous

Oct 30, 2017
Twente (The Netherlands)
Sony fans clamoring for insiders/leaks like we don't have a wealth of exclusives on PS4 already released and upcoming in the next year or two

You tryna die fam?
We know they're coming, but we also want to know when they're releasing. It doesn't make them release faster, but I like to know the release date for irrational reasons.

Angie

Best Avatar Thread Ever!
Nov 20, 2017
Kingdom of Corona
I will be the insider that you guys want.

Sony will announce a new game this year.
Unless things change and they wont.

There you go. Feel free to go wild with this tease.

Mezoly

Jimbo Replacement
Oct 25, 2017
You tryna die fam?

It's a hill I'm willing to die for. Plus it's not like I responded to an insider or posted in a thread fill of them to count as "harassment". Although, I saw someone got warned for even making a light hearted joke about insiders on Era. So you would never know lol.

Shairi

Aug 27, 2018
Depends how it is bundled. If the game is in the box as part of an official bundle, no. If the bundle is being done by a store (or even being bankrolled by a platform holder), basically yes.

Now that you are here, Matt. Please, give us something.

I will be the insider that you guys want.

Sony will announce a new game this year.
Unless things change and they wont.

There you go. Feel free to go wild with this tease.

Make a thread.

DeathyG

Oct 27, 2017
NW Indiana
I'm good with no leaks. That's why PGW 2017 was my one of my favorite conferences. Ghost of Tsushima, Concrete Genie, Blood & Truth, and Erica were all nice surprises.

modiz

Oct 8, 2018

just to clarify, are you specifically referring to spiderman bundles (because of marvel), or to every sony bundle? because i remember reading the same about not counting bundles but only for spiderman, or is this a change in how sony counts sales from now on?

Iwao

Oct 25, 2017
Nope but his other tweet mentions this about future PS4 games

I can see an Aug release date for DS and Oct for TLOU2

Interesting... that sits close to my prediction of September for Death Stranding and November for TLoU Part II. Ghost of Tsushima being February 2020. Dreams releasing in December sounds wayyyyy off though. What I've been playing of the beta doesn't scream to me "needs almost 12 more months in the oven".

- They've only released five PS4 games between October and January. Knack and Killzone at launch. Driveclub and LBP3 in 2014 and GT Sport in 2017. Outside of the two launch titles, they've released two sports games and a PS3 port. So when you really think about it, do you really believe that Sony is going to release a non-sports game or port between October and January? I simply don't because their last five years have proven it. Until Sony actually does, I'll stick with percentages of what they've done for the last five years.
GT Sport is a Gran Turismo game before it's a "sports" game. GT is one of their biggest IPs, so yeah I believe that Sony is not adverse to launching games around that time, as and when they wish. Circumstances with the development of certain games has meant that some are delayed past that time frame. It's not because they have explicitly chosen earlier in the year as being a particularly superior strategy. Percentages don't necessarily dictate the whole picture, but still, there have been more games (and non-sports games) released between October and January than the ones you listed. They chose to release one of their most important games EVER in November (delayed to December): The Last Guardian.

- You're assuming that TLOUP2 will actually be completed and be ready for release within 10 months. I simply don't. Just because they're wrapping up some stuff doesn't mean that the game is 100% finished. Look at Cyberpunk 2077, CDPR has said that the game is playable from beginning to end but in no way, shape or form is it finished.
Localisation and QA is one of the last phases in the game development. I'm not saying that they're 100% finished, but that they would not have started this process if it wouldn't be ready to ship within 12 months (roughly the average time it takes). I don't think playability has anything to do with this.

- True but it is rare when that happens. More than anything, I don't think that Sony will want to lessen the sales of Days Gone especially when they're supposed to have post launch content. Once TLOUP2 release date gets announced, let's be honest, if it's close to Days Gone, majority will just wait for TLOUP2 and if still interested pick up Days Gone later on in a sale. God of War and Spider Man are two different games and for the most part two different audiences. Days Gone and TLOUP2 while different in their own ways is still similar in concept - avoid or kill freakers/infected aka zombies or whatever you want to call them. Add in REmake2 and if you're Sony, do you really want to oversaturate this survival action horror genre when there's no reason to do so?
Days Gone will sell fuckloads in the 7 or so months before I think TLoU Part II will hit. There's not much to back up your view that the majority will ignore Days Gone. The marketing hasn't even fully began yet, and if it's as good as a game as I think you've said you believe it's going to be, it will be getting enough attention for that reason. Microsoft is happy to release Halo in the holidays alongside the plenty other big third-party shooters. I would not call 3 games in the "survival action horror genre" as oversaturated, and since when is there not a reason to release anticipated games because they kinda fall under the same genre?

- For God of War, maybe it was where they said the game was playable from start to finish. If not, then I was wrong.
You said it yourself that a game being playable doesn't mean something it anywhere close to being finished. You can have a game playable in its entirety without levels being completely designed or with things needing to being reworked or story not being at all fleshed out, or gameplay mechanics not working as they should, or it being generally unpolished.

- Every game that was delayed had a release date attached to it and was then delayed. It's also a huge coincidence that every game that was delayed was from Fall to the following year. That's just too much of a coincidence and I for one don't believe in coincidences. Everything happens for a reason. Just have to figure out what the reason is. For all the delays, more time, QA, etc. could definitely be part of it but getting out of the Fall could also be part of it. Looking at Sony's released games between October and January, as I posted above, it's two launch titles, two sports games and a PS3 port. I personally don't consider any of those five games to be anywhere near the level of all the other games that were delayed except for maybe The Order. Everything else is way above and beyond those five games.
Lots of tenuous theory material there. We have no concrete details on reasons for delay other than ones that Sony and its dev teams gave. Saying something like game delays are done on purpose is a tinfoil theory. Just because you believe something is the reason doesn't mean you have some how "figured it out".

- I do believe that Days Gone being delayed also possibly delays their other three games internally.
Okay, but that's not really something that tends to happen. If a game is on schedule and has a release date, Sony isn't going to delay that several months because of another game that was delayed.

- I'm 100% certain PS5 launches in November 2020. I want September 2020 but I believe that Sony will mirror what they did with PS4. As for when PS5 is revealed, again, I believe Sony will mirror PS4 so my guess is February 2020 with PSX being non-existent this year. I believe that Sony will simply let their games do the talking for them because that has been their number one focus since February 2013 and will stay that way regardless of what other aspects they increase or improve upon like PS Now, music, movies on PSN, etc. I wouldn't be surprised if a few leaks happen later this year though. If anything though, this aspect is probably a given.
How are you 100% certain?

- I have June 2020 in my head mainly because I see E3 2020 as where Sony returns after not having a major show for literally two years and quite honestly and quite simply, their showcase would be a storm (where as right now, it's very calm) of PS5, launch date/price/titles and showing off one last trailer for TLOUP2 which for those who aren't ready to jump to PS5 can buy a PS4 if they don't one already simply because the game will obviously be well worth it and it all goes out with a bang and huge momentum going into PS5.
I don't think Sony has really released a big first-party game in the same month following on from E3, other than The Last of Us and again, they're not going to delay a game to E3 because they want to make a splash. It's PlayStation's 25th anniversary this year, there's rumblings that PS5 will be announced this year, and they have tons of PS4 content to account for, and more PS4 games to announce. They're not going to go 1.5 years without a major show, these things considered.

It's day one for me either way but Days Gone being February made the chances slim and now that it's April 26th, I think it's closer to none than slim.
It didn't really do that though. Sony releases games as and when they want.

Last edited:

Saint-14

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
just to clarify, are you specifically referring to spiderman bundles (because of marvel), or to every sony bundle? because i remember reading the same about not counting bundles but only for spiderman, or is this a change in how sony counts sales from now on?
Pretty sure Sony always counts the bundled sales whenever they report numbers (there is no reason to not to, everyone else even does the same), NPD when reporting the monthly charts doesn't count them though which I'm guessing is what he's talking about.

Deleted member 43

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
Talking about NPD/other reporting outfits. Sony of course has access to all types of data, and can report things however they want.

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
Talking about NPD/other reporting outfits. Sony of course has access to all types of data, and can report things however they want.
Ah alright this makes sense. I thought the question was originally in relation to the spidey 9 million units, but NPD makes more sense. Thanks.

F4r0_Atak

Oct 31, 2017
Home

Ok, which brings me to this: does the 9 millions sold-through units achieved by Spider-Man include the bundles too or is it only the game that is calculated in the NPD results?

nolifebr

Banned
Sep 1, 2018
Curitiba/BR
If I were Sony, I would make a proposal to bring this guy into the WWS (maybe even creating a new studio under his command). This video is freaking awesome.
He left Activision last month saying he wanted to create new things.

TheRulingRing

Banned
Apr 6, 2018
So you saying fake news is better than no news?

I mean in this case I don't mind dealing with a bit of fake news to get some true news. At least it would give us some excitement.

We're just talking about games afterall.

We pretty much know they're working on the PS5 and are focusing on it's launch for next year sometime, there's just not much to communicate at the moment really.

I'm sure they could figure something out. For example, instead of a cryptic "dw there'll be something next year" and leave us in the dark for months just tell us there'll be an event to showcase the games early in the year.

Cyberia

Nov 8, 2017
Jesse Snyder (former gameplay director on Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare) has left Daybreak Games and will join another studio in....San Diego
#speculating

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm sure they could figure something out. For example, instead of a cryptic "dw there'll be something next year" and leave us in the dark for months just tell us there'll be an event to showcase the games early in the year.

That would be fair, but I don't think we'll get such an event.

At most I expect a Playstation Experience near the holidays.

ArkhamFantasy

Oct 25, 2017
I don't see Sony even bothering with a press event this year. If they had substantial information to be shown in the first 6-9 month's they'd have something for E3, or a Direct style thing during E3.

If they want to show some stuff in December they may as well wait until early next year and show it during the PS5 reveal.

Status
Not open for further replies.