• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Iwao

Oct 25, 2017
If I were Sony, I would make a proposal to bring this guy into the WWS (maybe even creating a new studio under his command). This video is freaking awesome.
He left Activision last month saying he wanted to create new things.

That's a great video - thanks for posting.

I think in the same way that Sony has courted creative minds like Hideo Kojima, Michel Ancel and Yu Suzuki to make exclusive games for their platform, I think it would be awesome if Sony reached out to Glen at this early stage and see if there's something they can work on together. I know Sony has survival/zombie-themed games already like Days Gone and The Last of Us, but I think they're really missing that pure horror game like Siren used to be for them.

Deleted member 36493

User requested account closure
Dec 19, 2017
I mean I think there's a lot that's fairly obvious:

- Horizon 2 is in active development
- God of War 2 is in planning or development
- Spider-Man 2 is in planning or development

Iwao

Oct 25, 2017
I'm actually surprised at just how ignorant IGN can be at times.

On the latest episode of Beyond, Lucy said that they can't see Death Stranding being an actual packaged game that does anything for Sony, refers to it as a "mind experiment", and Brian doesn't see it as actually releasing on the PS4, and had to ask his co-workers if it's actually been announced as a PS4 game (which it has and it's only been plastered over the trailers and marketing materials). Yes... a multimillion dollar episodic mind experiment that will skip the PS4 is Death Stranding alright /s. Brian also fed into the stupid "Kojima is taking too long, look at his twitter feed, all he does is waste time eating food, watching movies and travelling the world" narrative, that Kojima himself has already debunked.

They also brush off BC despite the signs pointing towards how no-brainer of a move it is (x86 -> x86), how crucial it actually might end up being going into PS5, and how important keeping people in your ecosystem has become. They say we've got ports of some of the best selling games of last-gen, to support that Sony will do the same, when in fact there have been less Sony commissioned remasters this gen than there were on PS3, and the ones there have been, have for the most part not been incredibly successful.

Last edited:

BaldwinAce

Oct 28, 2017
Montréal, Québec, Canada
Is it me or did Dayz Gone appeared today on PSN in the pre-orders options? We can't actually pre-order it though since the actual purchase button isn't there yet, buuut. I'm thinking it might just be waiting for a surprise mid-early 2019 announcement in the days to go (see what I did there?) for it to be available, and that Sony ended up being too quick on the trigger.

Oct 25, 2017

On the latest episode of Beyond, Lucy said that they can't see Death Stranding being an actual packaged game that does anything for Sony, refers to it as a "mind experiment", and Brian doesn't see it as actually releasing on the PS4, and had to ask his co-workers if it's actually been announced as a PS4 game (which it has and it's only been plastered over the trailers and marketing materials). Brian also fed into the stupid "Kojima is taking too long, look at his twitter feed, all he does is waste time eating food, watching movies and travelling the world" narrative, that Kojima himself has already debunked.
I dropped Beyond/IGN years ago. Their content is very poor.

Deleted member 17403

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
That's a great video - thanks for posting.

I think in the same way that Sony has courted creative minds like Hideo Kojima, Michel Ancel and Yu Suzuki to make exclusive games for their platform, I think it would be awesome if Sony reached out to Glen at this early stage and see if there's something they can work on together. I know Sony has survival/zombie-themed games already like Days Gone and The Last of Us, but I think they're really missing that pure horror game like Siren used to be for them.
Sony should resurrect Extermination and tap him to helm the game. Or something that acts as a spiritual successor to both Extermination and Dead Space.

Zukkoyaki

Oct 25, 2017

On the latest episode of Beyond, Lucy said that they can't see Death Stranding being an actual packaged game that does anything for Sony, refers to it as a "mind experiment", and Brian doesn't see it as actually releasing on the PS4, and had to ask his co-workers if it's actually been announced as a PS4 game (which it has and it's only been plastered over the trailers and marketing materials). Yes... a multimillion dollar episodic mind experiment that will skip the PS4 is Death Stranding alright /s. Brian also fed into the stupid "Kojima is taking too long, look at his twitter feed, all he does is waste time eating food, watching movies and travelling the world" narrative, that Kojima himself has already debunked.

They also brush off BC despite the signs pointing towards how no-brainer of a move it is (x86 -> x86), how crucial it actually might end up being going into PS5, and how important keeping people in your ecosystem has become. They say we've got ports of some of the best selling games of last-gen, to support that Sony will do the same, when in fact there have been less Sony commissioned remasters this gen than there were on PS3, and the ones there have been, have for the most part not been incredibly successful.
Ewww. Brian and Lucy are usually pretty solid as well.

Seeya

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
No need to overcomplicate it, just make it a normal super move like any other fighting game that it deal more HP and more likely to kill opponent. Make it so people get multiple lives in a match if you don't want people to rely too much on super move, or whoever kill the most opponent win as the objectives.

I'll post a summary tomorrow. There are two paths I'm exploring and yours is one of them (or falls more in line with one of them). I don't have the time to prototype anything serious at the moment so most of it is just theory crafting, but I would like to think that my observations are pretty thought out. Overall I'm very interested in the implementation of more DNA from traditional fighting games than we've seen in the party brawler genre thus far.

The original had a good conceptual idea with taking more direct FG inspiration but failed in the execution, or rather didn't foresee the impacts/issues that a super only system would create and then failed to tweak parameters accordingly.

Aside from that, if people are hungry for baseless speculation, there's someone going to a decent amount of trouble in claiming that Sony is going to reveal a sequel to PSABR in October.

Not in terms of fake off cam footage or anything but making lengthy pretty consistent posts, responding to things in consistent detail and saying that they understand why people wouldn't believe them, etc.

Guess we will see XD

https://community.playstation.com/c...ale.topic.html/playstation_all-star-2krV.html

For the record, I don't like the proposed system of a straight build up a lvl 3 equivalent (though it sounds like some sort of —what's that 3D indie brawl like that has a rage mechanic— equivalent, something that buffs you moderately) with a straight HP system.

If they're going to do that then you should be able to spend your Meter on supers of regular moves, but it doesn't sound like that's the case.

Last edited:

SolidSnakex

Oct 25, 2017
ND animator talking about another ND animator...

Be excited.

I love that the released a gameplay video that people accused of being fake, and now they're basically bragging about doing stuff that's even more impressive than what was shown in it. This is why that EA Motive guy noted that whenever Naughty Dog releases a new video the entire industry basically goes over it with a fine-toothed comb to figure out how they hell they're doing it.

Seeya

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I love that the released a gameplay video that people accused of being fake, and now they're basically bragging about doing stuff that's even more impressive than what was shown in it. This is why that EA Motive guy noted that whenever Naughty Dog releases a new video the entire industry basically goes over it with a fine-toothed comb to figure out how they hell they're doing it.

Yet there are still people who do nothing but downplay SWWS on Era :P

Wandu

Oct 27, 2017
Is it me or did Dayz Gone appeared today on PSN in the pre-orders options? We can't actually pre-order it though since the actual purchase button isn't there yet, buuut. I'm thinking it might just be waiting for a surprise mid-early 2019 announcement in the days to go (see what I did there?) for it to be available, and that Sony ended up being too quick on the trigger.

I haven't checked PSN yet, but if im understanding this post correctly, there should be no surprise mid-early 2019 announcement as the release date is set for April 26th. Could just be an error on their part and its not ready for digital preorder yet.

Mugen X

Oct 27, 2017
Colorado
That was kind of the impression we already got from the last demo/trailer. I am trying to keep my expectations in check, but if any studio deserves hype like that, it is ND.
Yep, I follow a few ND employees on twitter and boy are they hyping this game up. I know it's typical that devs do that for the games they're working on, but you can tell that studio is excited to get the game out to the public.

Screen Looker

Nov 17, 2018
Can we stop acquisition talk for all these studio efforts? In business, acquisitions hardly ever pan out. Past a certain number they never do.

Investing in people is the smart thing to do. Acquisitions are just a waste of money when you can find people that fit your culture to build what you want? That's the best approach, not chasing studios.

As the philosophers T-Boz, Left Eye (RIP), and Chili said, "Don't go chasing waterfalls. Please stick to the rivers and the lakes that you're used to."

It makes far more sense to invest in IP that generates hundreds of millions of dollars, so output is speeded up, freeing Santa Monica, ND to work on New IP then waiting an entire generation to see your best studios get around to creating something new.

Rumours suggest Sony have done exactly this btw with them creating an Uncharted studio in San Diego

There is also such a thing as diminishing returns. Not just in sales but also in the team. People do not like to do the same thing every day forever. Variety keeps creativity fresh.

It makes sense to invest in people and let people manage IP, not the other way around.

Sonicfan059

Mar 4, 2018
Yep, I follow a few ND employees on twitter and boy are they hyping this game up. I know it's typical that devs do that for the games they're working on, but you can tell that studio is excited to get the game out to the public.
What if... What if it gets even higher critical reception than the first? Like RDR2 or BOTW good? I could see it selling faster than Spider-Man in that case.

nolifebr

Banned
Sep 1, 2018
Curitiba/BR
I don't believe Sony is interested in creating an entire studio just to work on a single franchise. If this new studio is really working on a new Uncharted, it must be because they have a great reason to do so. Otherwise, I think Sony sees no problem in leaving the franchise aside (see God Of War, which was a franchise that was ready to go into a big hiatus).

Although I still think it would be interesting if Sony tried to buy KojiPro, Bluepoint and other studios that have always worked closely with them. With so many talented people leaving their studios (Jade Raymond, Amy Hennig, Glen Schofield, Bruce Straley and etc), maybe it's a good deal to try to get these people under the WWS and let them do whatever they want.

Last edited:

Screen Looker

Nov 17, 2018
Outside of the person you quoted (who is currently busy arguing about MS acquiring EA in the MS thread) there isn't acquisition talk in this thread?

I actively don't look at people's post history. I didn't know a guy was over there doing a thing. Lol

I should have rephrased to say this thread is being nice about acquisition talk by thinking of good relationships that could mutually benefit. I wanted to say it's not about whoever studio as desirable, it takes years to see it turn into something.

Partnerships work great when one has autonomy to create things you like and you pay them to do it in the way that gets them there. There is always the ability to walk away on both sides which helps the art get made with positive tension of a deadline but freedom to hit it however.

Acquisitions remove that and creates negative tension so people leave then you try to keep things going, keep the culture though it inevitably changes and you have to do a new thing just to make the studio productive again. So I'm just against acquisitions in general for the most part. I'd rather invest in building a thing with a studio head as it's pretty much just as risky without costing upfront millions.

The other guy I quoted was talking about investing in creating studios just to build out more games under an IP, not acquisitions. I didn't quote acquisition guy I don't think.

Majiebeast

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
When a thread about a copycat poster, devolves into a bunch of salty people still being mad that the first game is considered by many the best game of last gen, then you know the review thread for the sequel will be an amazing dumpster fire.

Shairi

Aug 27, 2018

Bryan really loves PlayStation. I'm looking forward to Spider-Man 2, but first I really want a new Ratchet & Clank game from Insomniac.

Nov 8, 2017

It's odd that Bend has announced the release date but the Playstation store says "released December, 2019" instead of providing the announced date. It's also odd that it says released. What's up with that?

Squarealex

Nov 11, 2017
If developpers have already PS5 dev-kit, I think PS5 annoucement is for this year. 'cause hardware specs have already fixed. 2018 dev kits for end 2020 ? Meh

Seeya

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't believe Sony is interested in creating an entire studio just to work on a single franchise. If this new studio is really working on a new Uncharted, it must be because they have a great reason to do so. Otherwise, I think Sony sees no problem in leaving the franchise aside (see God Of War, which was a franchise that was ready to go into a big hiatus).

Although I still think it would be interesting if Sony tried to buy KojiPro, Bluepoint and other studios that have always worked closely with them. With so many talented people leaving their studios (Jade Raymond, Amy Hennig, Glen Schofield, Bruce Straley and etc), maybe it's a good deal to try to get these people under the WWS and let them do whatever they want.

Sony has given Established IP to new or smaller studios before (with support) as a means of getting their sea legs, so to say.

Like I said before, IF this studio is making a new Uncharted that doesn't necessarily mean that they will only make Uncharted games.

Spiegel

Oct 26, 2017
I'll post a summary tomorrow. There are two paths I'm exploring and yours is one of them (or falls more in line with one of them). I don't have the time to prototype anything serious at the moment so most of it is just theory crafting, but I would like to think that my observations are pretty thought out. Overall I'm very interested in the implementation of more DNA from traditional fighting games than we've seen in the party brawler genre thus far.

The original had a good conceptual idea with taking more direct FG inspiration but failed in the execution, or rather didn't foresee the impacts/issues that a super only system would create and then failed to tweak parameters accordingly.

Aside from that, if people are hungry for baseless speculation, there's someone going to a decent amount of trouble in claiming that Sony is going to reveal a sequel to PSABR in October.

Not in terms of fake off cam footage or anything but making lengthy pretty consistent posts, responding to things in consistent detail and saying that they understand why people wouldn't believe them, etc.

Guess we will see XD

https://community.playstation.com/c...ale.topic.html/playstation_all-star-2krV.html

For the record, I don't like the proposed system of a straight build up a lvl 3 equivalent (though it sounds like some sort of —what's that 3D indie brawl like that has a rage mechanic— equivalent, something that buffs you moderately) with a straight HP system.

If they're going to do that then you should be able to spend your Meter on supers of regular moves, but it doesn't sound like that's the case.

Bad fake

Status
Not open for further replies.