• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BadWolf

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What difference does it make? A portable PS4 is a brand new handheld. Or you can play PS4 games on some other handheld at the moment?
A portable PS4 without new games for PS4 would essentially be a Vita with just old PSP games on it. I don't think that many people would buy that.

The difference is pretty obvious.

A portable PS4 would be a portable version of the PS4. Its library would consist of PS4 games. It wouldn't require PS4 portable only games. Its success would depend on if people want a portable PS4.

A brand new handheld would be a Vita compared to a PSP. New hardware that requires its own library of games to succeed.

jacks81x

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
NYC
What difference does it make? A portable PS4 is a brand new handheld. Or you can play PS4 games on some other handheld at the moment?
A portable PS4 without new games for PS4 would essentially be a Vita with just old PSP games on it. I don't think that many people would buy that.

Marketing to the mainstream consumers would be a nightmare as well if there is a PS4 that is portable only and one that's a traditional console. Meanwhile, Nintendo has one machine that you pay one price for and is both portable and a home console. Optically, that's not a good look for Sony.

LiquidSolid

Oct 26, 2017
How do you guys expect Sony to juggle their mainline development and PSVR going into next gen.
I think the PS5 will support PSVR and all its software (via backwards compatibility or upgrade patches). Then in 2021/22 they'll launch the PSVR2 for PS5 (with PSVR1 BC) and devs will start transitioning over to it.

I guess it's a tired question at this point, but: do you guys expect Sony to market (i.e.: have trailers, gameplay videos, events...) DS, TLOU and GOT at their own leasure? Or will they still wait until they produce an E3-style thing where they reveal stuff about them all in the same date?

I ask because they usually waited until June to show their games (provided they don't release before or right after E3). Waiting six months for info on Sony's First Party titles is always a bummer, so maybe this year it'll be different and we'll get info on them during a random month, as they don't have to follow that schedule (if that makes sense).
Expect is kind of a strong word. I'll just say that my guess is Sony won't come out of nowhere and host some big, brand new event. They'll stay relatively quiet up until the end of the year and then host the annual TGS conference and then PSX.

How will they market Death Stranding and TLOU2 if they come out this year then, you ask? The same way they did with God of War: Stay silent for a long time (other than maybe a Game Informer cover and coverage) and then boom, release date, trailer, preview event and massive marketing campaign in quick succession in the last 2-3 months leading to launch. They don't need a 6 month launch plan for games we've already seen quite a bit and people are excited about.

Marketing to the mainstream consumers would be a nightmare as well if there is a PS4 that is portable only and one that's a traditional console. Meanwhile, Nintendo has one machine that you pay one price for and is both portable and a home console. Optically, that's not a good look for Sony.
Seems pretty simple to me: "Play all your favourite PS4 games including CoD, RDR2 and Spider-Man in the car/bus/train using your PS4 Portable." If people can figure out the difference between a 2DS and a 3DS then a portable PS4 would be a breeze.

Though like we said before, it isn't going to happen for completely different reasons.

Modest_Modsoul

Living the Dreams
Oct 29, 2017

Lol, ResetEra avatar material.

I guess it's a tired question at this point, but: do you guys expect Sony to market (i.e.: have trailers, gameplay videos, events...) DS, TLOU and GOT at their own leasure? Or will they still wait until they produce an E3-style thing where they reveal stuff about them all in the same date?

In my opinion, it could be either.

As they even could do a new PlayStation Meeting with the remaining big 3 games showed in 4K & 60 fps (PS5).

It's their choice really & just matter of when.

Do you guys think Kojima Productions would be a good aquisition for Sony?

It would be a big get, but we'll see.

I just want a new first party JRPG devoted studio... : (

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
So, this is where Hollie went :)

Oh that's brilliant; good for her! I know she's been a massive fan of the Witcher books and games for years so she'll be a good fit there.

All the same I do wish that they hadn't shuttered a lot of their smaller devs over the last few years, losing Guerilla Cambridge was a blow.

There are also concerns with managing massive team sizes, but maybe this will allow them to do some concurrent development moving forward

Yeah, losing some of those devs towards the end of last gen hurt. Lots of talent there, sadly not backed up by good sales. With the success of PS4 hopefully WWS is solid now and not in danger of anyone closing.

I didn't play Zipper games but this would have been the perfect gen for them. PS2 didn't have an internal modem. PS3 sold significantly fewer consoles. PS4 had neither issue.

Yeah, Zipper would have flourished nowadays. MAG was a great game which released about 3-4 years too early.

yellow wallpaper

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 17, 2017
Has days gone ever been available on best buy? My gcu expires in a month and I want to pre order as much as I can.

Yaqza

Oct 27, 2017
There are two new videos about this niche zombie game that's going to flop (according to some posters at least):

Preorder:

The Farewell Wilderness

Shairi

Aug 27, 2018
It's great news that everyone will get into the Dreams Beta now. I was bummed about not getting any code. Now I'm worried that I may have mistyped my name.

And yeah, that's a great Days Gone Trailer.

jacks81x

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
NYC
Seems pretty simple to me: "Play all your favourite PS4 games including CoD, RDR2 and Spider-Man in the car/bus/train using your PS4 Portable." If people can figure out the difference between a 2DS and a 3DS then a portable PS4 would be a breeze.

Though like we said before, it isn't going to happen for completely different reasons.

No, I mean trying to market to people to buy two separate devices to play the same games, when the competitor has a device that is both a console and portable. It's a tough sell. It also allows Nintendo to counter-market against that and tell consumers that they can just pay one price for one device that they can both play at home on the big screen or portable anywhere. It makes the Switch that much more appealing.

gofreak

Oct 26, 2017
These things don't tend to be 'news-y', but it might be an interesting keynote.

https://www.dicesummit.org/news/dice2019_shawn_layden_keynote.asp

The Academy of Interactive Arts & Sciences (AIAS) is pleased to announce five additional speakers for the 2019 D.I.C.E. Summit (#DICE19), taking place Feb. 11-13 in Aria Resort & Hotel Las Vegas. Leading video game executives and creators will gather to participate in the premier industry networking event and listen to key speakers address the conference theme - Trailblazers - tackling some of the industry's biggest ideas and trends.

The Conference Opening Keynote will be presented by Shawn Layden, Chairman of Sony Interactive Entertainment.

(To be more correct, he's chairman of Worldwide Studios, not SIE as a whole)

gofreak

Oct 26, 2017
Layden is the chairman of SIE since 2018, he was the head of SIE America before. President of WWS is Shuhei Yoshida

Layden's title is WWS Chairman... Yoshida reports to him basically. He's been chairman of WWS since 2016, but it seems it's become his primary role since regional sales and marketing groups were consolidated into one global unit under Jim Ryan in 2018.

Andrew House was made chairman of SIE overall when Kodera took over as President/CEO - but he retired from that position a few months later i.e. it was largely an honorary thing, probably to meet corporate tradition. Nobody was announced as his successor afaik. I guess it's a role reserved for retiring presidents.

poklane

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
PlayStation Blog Game of the Year winners: https://blog.us.playstation.com/2019/01/17/game-of-the-year-2018-the-winners/
Best Narrative - God of War
Best Multiplayer - Call of Duty: Black Ops 4
Best Sports Game - FIFA 19
Best Graphical Showcase - Red Dead Redemption 2
Best Art Direction - God of War
Best Sound Design - God of War
Best Soundtrack - God of War
Best Ongoing Game - Fortnite
Best Independent Game - The Forest
Best PlayStation Console Exclusive - God of War
Best Performance - Christopher Judge as Kratos in God of War
Best PS VR Experience - Beat Saber
Best PS4 Game - God of War
Most Anticipated Game (note: games which have won this in previous years weren't eligible) - Kingdom Hearts 3
Studio Of The Year - Santa Monica Studio

BrickArts295

GOTY Tracking Thread Master
Oct 26, 2017
PlayStation Blog Game of the Year winners: https://blog.us.playstation.com/2019/01/17/game-of-the-year-2018-the-winners/
Most Anticipated Game (note: games which have won this in previous years weren't eligible) - Kingdom Hearts 3
The one place where Astro Bot should have won best VR and it doesn't T_T

jacks81x

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
NYC
Andrew House was made chairman of SIE overall when Kodera took over as President/CEO - but he retired from that position a few months later i.e. it was largely an honorary thing, probably to meet corporate tradition. Nobody was announced as his successor afaik. I guess it's a role reserved for retiring presidents.

I think you mean chairman of Sony proper, not just SIE. That's the honorary position that most retired CEOs take at Sony. Kaz is in that position now.

stryke

Oct 28, 2017

Lol don't even throw their most successful FP game a bone.

LiquidSolid

Oct 26, 2017
No, I mean trying to market to people to buy two separate devices to play the same games, when the competitor has a device that is both a console and portable. It's a tough sell. It also allows Nintendo to counter-market against that and tell consumers that they can just pay one price for one device that they can both play at home on the big screen or portable anywhere. It makes the Switch that much more appealing.
It really isn't a tough sell at all, you're just trying to make it one. First, where've you been for the last 2-3 years? Sony already sells two separate devices that play the same games. And second, what makes you think this theoretical PS4 Portable (which probably isn't technically possible) wouldn't have a TV Out port? I'd assume it'd be a requirement of any portable coming out post-Switch (it still baffles me the Vita never had one). So it wouldn't give Nintendo any advantages (not that Nintendo would "counter-market" anyway, they do their own thing) and wouldn't be that hard to position.

I think you mean chairman of Sony proper, not just SIE. That's the honorary position that most retired CEOs take at Sony. Kaz is in that position now.
No he meant SIE. Why would Andrew House be made the Chairman of Sony Corp?

Iwao

Oct 25, 2017
Lucy O'Brien on the latest Podcast Beyond, referring to Days Gone:
"A lot of people in this office are kinda down on this game"

We can at least gather that IGN probably won't be going to go into reviewing this game with an open mind unless it's done by someone like Lucy. She seems to be a bit more positive about how the game might turn out. "Not ready to write it off" - based on that it sounds like IGN is full of people who have already made up their mind. Having said that, Max Scoville is pretty open about having lowered expectations that could work in the game's favour. I hope the game has the power to surprise.

Last edited:

NoTime

Oct 30, 2017

We can at least gather that IGN probably won't be going to go into reviewing this game with an open mind unless it's done by Lucy. She seems to be a bit more positive about how the game might turn out. "Not ready to write it off" - based on that it sounds like IGN is full of people who have already made up their mind. I hope the game has the power to surprise.

It is journalistic integrity to be openminded and unbiased if it is a news report and not an opinion piece. I don't see why IGN would do a biased coverage, on the other note I'm not that high on the game either. I'll buy it day one but I'm yet not sure what to expect from it)

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way

We can at least gather that IGN probably won't be going to go into reviewing this game with an open mind unless it's done by someone like Lucy. She seems to be a bit more positive about how the game might turn out. "Not ready to write it off" - based on that it sounds like IGN is full of people who have already made up their mind. Having said that, Max Scoville is pretty open about having lowered expectations that could work in the game's favour. I hope the game has the power to surprise.
To be fair, a lot of the hands-on previews last year were similarly down on the game. But I think it's in large part because of such high expectations from Sony these days. That was then, but now that expectations are lowered for this game it could indeed work in its favour.

jacks81x

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
NYC
It really isn't a tough sell at all, you're just trying to make it one. First, where've you been for the last 2-3 years? Sony already sells two separate devices that play the same games. And second, what makes you think this theoretical PS4 Portable (which probably isn't technically possible) wouldn't have a TV Out port? I'd assume it'd be a requirement of any portable coming out post-Switch (it still baffles me the Vita never had one). So it wouldn't give Nintendo any advantages (not that Nintendo would "counter-market" anyway, they do their own thing) and wouldn't be that hard to position.

I'm not trying to make anything. I'm speaking as a consumer, a Sony fan, and a Sony stockholder. It would be a tough sell for them trying to sell a PS4 Portable even to me. If you think it'd be that easy to sell a PS4 Portable, by all means go and prove me wrong. The Vita TV had a HDMI out. I own one, but it's just not a well-thought out product. The resolution is not up to par and games that require touch controls are not supported.

LiquidSolid

Oct 26, 2017
I'm not trying to make anything. I'm speaking as a consumer, a Sony fan, and a Sony stockholder. It would be a tough sell for them trying to sell a PS4 Portable even to me. If you think it'd be that easy to sell a PS4 Portable, by all means go and prove me wrong. The Vita TV had a HDMI out. I own one, but it's just not a well-thought out product. The resolution is not up to par and games that require touch controls are not supported.
Yes, the PS TV was a poorly thought out product but what on earth does that have to do with a theoretical PS4 Portable? Are you saying that the issue isn't the idea, it's that Sony would fuck it up? Because otherwise you're not making much sense. You're asking me to prove you wrong (as if that's possible for a product that doesn't and won't exist) and yet every reason you come up with seems like you're scrambling for reasons to justify your position.

We should really just end this here because this is going nowhere.

Nov 21, 2017

Muntaner

May 12, 2018
Sorry guys - maybe this is OT but I still can't open new threads so I'm asking there.

I remember of an unannounced PS4 exclusive some time ago. Is this still actual and true? Are we waiting for this announcement or has this been debunked?

Saint-14

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Sorry guys - maybe this is OT but I still can't open new threads so I'm asking there.

I remember of an unannounced PS4 exclusive some time ago. Is this still actual and true? Are we waiting for this announcement or has this been debunked?
There is still an unannounced majore exclusive according to a sales insider, whether it's still a thing we don't know.

Status
Not open for further replies.