• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

OG_Thrills

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
To be honest, I don't think Sony is going to tout power in the same way the competition does. Given the mindshare they've captured this generation and the momentum that still causes launch day lineups like we saw in South Korea recently, I really believe that content is essential.

I mean, how many of us will remember the PS5's price point or be concerned that the console has less TFLOPS than it's nearest competitor... When Aloy, in all her next gen glory appears on Screen?

And I'm not using Horizon Zero Dawn because it's my game of the gen, thus far. More so to showcase the bevy of IP that has resonated over this generation with the PS audience. From Until Dawn to Bloodborne. I don't think any spec sheet resonates beyond the core audience when compared to games that have resonated.

In short momentum and mind Share coupled with ip that has resonated is the language the broader audience understands. A spec sheet, PS5 or otherwise, not so much. And I'd be suprised if Sony didn't use that combination as their USP as opposed to mentioning TFlops and Navi.

Last edited:
ZhugeEx about upcoming Projects and PSN

ZhugeEX

Senior Analyst at Niko Partners
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Sony are on track to have an extremely strong fiscal year. In fact this year will yield the best results for the Game and Network Services division in the company's history. Once again growth is being driven by the network services segment with full game downloads, add on content and subscription services boosting the bottom line.

Z0zSXri.png

OAQv6Ed.png
OAQv6Ed.png

Dq8G25PXQAAKcfq.jpg

2019 will be another solid year for the platform due to the large install base, growing network sales, strong third party software, first party software and back catalog. Lineup for the first half of the year is set but second half is still in flux. Sony also has a couple of unannounced games (already existing IP) with PS4 in mind but I'm conscious that there have been discussions around making them cross gen/next gen titles. In general, most of the focus for Sony 1P is on PS5 right now. It is still early to talk about next gen but I imagine we'll hear some whispers come out of GDC.

Overall there is a push to further invest in PSN and focus on expanding the services ecosystem around the PlayStation brand. I'm not sure if much of it will be realised this year, but there is definitely a lot in the pipeline for next gen. Overall there isn't much to talk about right now. But when there is I'll update this post.

poklane

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
Sony also has a couple of unannounced games (already existing IP) with PS4 in mind but I'm conscious that there have been discussions around making them cross gen/next gen titles.
Thread worthy?
Edit: don't wanna bother you by pushing you to give us even more info, but since Benji already hinted about this I want to ask anyway. Benji said some time ago that Sony still had 1 major 1st party game (not VR or a Remake), can you confirm that? Or are all these unannounced games smaller scale, VR and remakes?

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
2019 will be another solid year for the platform due to the large install base, growing network sales, strong third party software, first party software and back catalog. Lineup for the first half of the year is set but second half is still in flux. Sony also has a couple of unannounced games (already existing IP) with PS4 in mind but I'm conscious that there have been discussions around making them cross gen/next gen titles. In general, most of the focus for Sony 1P is on PS5 right now. It is still early to talk about next gen but I imagine we'll hear some whispers come out of GDC.

Overall there is a push to further invest in PSN and focus on expanding the services ecosystem around the PlayStation brand. I'm not sure if much of it will be realised this year, but there is definitely a lot in the pipeline for next gen. Overall there isn't much to talk about right now. But when there is I'll update this post.

A couple of unannounced games? wow.

Sorry to ask, but they are after new studios for next gen after all the acquisitions by MS?

poklane

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
Horizon and Uncharted (by that new studio) maybe?
No way that new studio is even thinking about PS4. As far as we know they started up in 2018 so at a 3 year dev time you're looking at 2021, but you also have to factor in the fact that it's a new studio which is gonna add even more time to the development time, so you're probably looking at 2022 at the very earliest, if not 2023.

Feb 26, 2018

Deleted member 24417

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
New games to be announced? Hoping for cross-gen release, I don't think Sony want to make same mistake of Puppeteer, GT6 ecc... only for PS3 when PS4 was approaching.

Deleted member 36493

Dec 19, 2017
I have a feeling that SSM is working on a TLL-sized GoW prequel. Cory said he wants to explore between III and 2018..just a feeling.

poklane

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
New games to be announced? Hoping for cross-gen release, I don't think Sony want to make same mistake of Puppeteer, GT6 ecc... only for PS3 when PS4 was approaching.
Wont matter assuming the PS5 has full backwards compatibility. Just give late PS4 games a significant PS5 Enhanced patch and you're good.
I have a feeling that SSM is working on a TLL-sized GoW prequel. Cory said he wants to explore between III and 2018..just a feeling.
Cory just recently said that all his ideas for DLC were too ambitious for a DLC. They're definitely working on a full sequel.

Feb 26, 2018
You know what.
I'm not that bothered if all those unannounced games will move to PS5 only.
Sony lineup for 2019- early 2020 is great already.

Oct 25, 2017
It's going to be interesting to see Sony's approach on cross-gen titles. If people buy new software and / or pay for PS Plus, I guess Sony doesn't care whether you're spending on PS4 or PS5?

poklane

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
You know what.
I'm not that bothered if all those unannounced games will move to PS5 only.
Sony lineup for 2019- early 2020 is great already.
I feel exactly the same. The PS5 is probably releasing within 2 years and we still have Days Gone, Dreams, MediEvil Remake, Concrete Genie, Death Stranding, The Last of Us Part II and Ghost of Tsushima to go. It's plenty, just let studios with unannounced projects focus on the PS5 so they can focus on taking advantage of the new hardware instead of being held back by a console from 2013.

Feb 26, 2018
I feel exactly the same. The PS5 is probably releasing within 2 years and we still have Days Gone, Dreams, MediEvil Remake, Concrete Genie, Death Stranding, The Last of Us Part II and Ghost of Tsushima to go. It's plenty, just let studios with unannounced projects focus on the PS5 so they can focus on taking advantage of the new hardware instead of being held back by a console from 2013.
All we need to know is when all of this will come out

poklane

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
All we need to know is when all of this will come out
2019 (for sure): Days Gone, Dreams, MediEvil Remake, Concrete Genie
2019 (pick 1 of 3): The Last of Us Part II, Death Stranding, Ghost of Tsushima
2020: 2 of the 3 remaining titles from above. And we'll probably get some smaller stuff as well (VR, remakes, smaller games)
That's my guess

Last edited:

Deleted member 36493

Dec 19, 2017
Gonna be exciting to see what the extra power will allow devs to do in games like Horizon. Flying mounts would be cool.

GoW2 needs some crazy boss fight on Jormungandr or something.

Zeusy

Avenger
Oct 30, 2017
WA
2018 (for sure): Days Gone, Dreams, MediEvil Remake, Concrete Genie
2018 (pick 1 of 3): The Last of Us Part II, Death Stranding, Ghost of Tsushima
2019: 2 of the 3 remaining titles from above. And we'll probably get some smaller stuff as well (VR, remakes, smaller games)
That's my guess
got your years a bit off ;)

Oct 25, 2017
For starters, the X seems to basically sell to US/UK audience, PlayStation usually caters a much wider variety of territories, with also much variety of price sensibility, not all the countries have the same economical power as the US or UK. I am sure Sony knows how well is the pro doing in the different markets compared to slim, so they will have a clearer picture of the price sensibility for each market.
Of course.

I'm saying if the X is doing well in its best places, PS5 would have success in its markets worldwide.

The problem comes after the launch window months, though. XBO had a 100$ price cut just 7 months after release. And after beating by a big margin Sony in the previous generation, you can see where they are now in their main market.
Right, but that is due to numerous issues. It isn't all on the price they launched at.

Price is King. Unless Sony has a clear roadmap to drop price fast (without looking like they're desperate) i doubt they will go 500.
Even now with XBX being discounted during BF, sales haven't been exactly amazing.

As i said, i can see them going 450, releasing early 2020, and dropping to 400 just in time for holiday season once the hardcore have done their work at launch and try to appeal to a wider audience.
I actually think the PS5 will launch at $399. I just think a $499 launch is feasible and can work on the market.

We'll see though!

Oct 25, 2017
Sony also has a couple of unannounced games (already existing IP) with PS4 in mind but I'm conscious that there have been discussions around making them cross gen/next gen titles. In general, most of the focus for Sony 1P is on PS5 right now. It is still early to talk about next gen but I imagine we'll hear some whispers come out of GDC.
Thanks for confirming Sly Cooper, Ratchet and Clank, and Ape Escape are in development for PS4/PS5, Zhuge!

Status
Not open for further replies.