• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Aokiji

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles
I only believe it if Aokiji confirms it.
source.gif

Gay Bowser

Oct 30, 2017
solely because of the Cell processor which if it wasn't for that, PlayStation 3 would have had more price cuts including the kick ass everyone is buying one $99.99 price point which would have not only led them to winning last gen

I don't think the Cell is solely to blame there. Only one video game console with a hard drive has ever had a MSRP below $149 — and that was the original Xbox, which Microsoft was pretty much dumping onto the market. The cheapest the Xbox 360 with a hard drive ever officially got was, surprisingly, $299, with flash models at $199 being more heavily promoted at the end of its life. The cheapest a PS3 with a hard drive ever officially got was $269, with those weird 12GB flash models at $219.

I wouldn't expect the PS4 to ever get down to $99, even without the Cell. I think those days are behind us.

The PS2 didn't drop down to $99 until 2009, and honestly that price cut didn't really cause it to explode in sales the way you describe. It had been $129 for years at that point.

(or first if you want to exclude the fluke of Wii)

You're clearly on one "team," here, but even so, dismissing "the opposing team's" success as a "fluke" just isn't a good look.

As a PlayStation user, I would certainly hope that Sony wouldn't dismiss their competitors' successful products as flukes. I would want Sony to try to learn what made them appealing, so that Sony could make better products for me.

daniel77733

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't think the Cell is solely to blame there. Only one video game console with a hard drive has ever had a MSRP below $149 — and that was the original Xbox, which Microsoft was pretty much dumping onto the market. The cheapest the Xbox 360 with a hard drive ever officially got was, surprisingly, $299, with flash models at $199 being more heavily promoted at the end of its life. The cheapest a PS3 with a hard drive ever officially got was $269, with those weird 12GB flash models at $219.

I wouldn't expect the PS4 to ever get down to $99, even without the Cell. I think those days are behind us.

The PS2 didn't drop down to $99 until 2009, and honestly that price cut didn't really cause it to explode in sales the way you describe. It had been $129 for years at that point.

You're clearly on one "team," here, but even so, dismissing "the opposing team's" success as a "fluke" just isn't a good look.

As a PlayStation user, I would certainly hope that Sony wouldn't dismiss their competitors' successful products as flukes. I would want Sony to try to learn what made them appealing, so that Sony could make better products for me.

PS3 went down to $200 if I remember correctly and if it wasn't for the expensive Cell processor, I do believe that PS3 would have been $100 at the end of the console's run.

I see Wii as a fluke because Wii U completely bombed and the two consoles before Wii weren't exactly massive sellers. Outside of the fluke of Wii, every Nintendo console declined in sales until the Switch. I just see the Wii as a fluke and gimmick that people got over after the novelty wore off and you can see it by looking at Wii U sales. 100M for Wii and only 15M for Wii U. Yeah, Wii was a fluke.

I'm definitely a Sony guy but I do own an Xbox One X and Switch. In fact, except for Turbo Grafx 16, Jaguar, Neo Geo and Wii U, I have owned every home gaming console since NES. I simply see and believe that Sony is the best because they've proven it consistently since 1995 where as no one else is even close to doing so.

As for Sony making better products, the hardware is important but equally important is the software and in this aspect, Sony has been on a role since Bloodborne. When it comes to their console and setup, I literally have zero complaints this generation regarding PlayStation 4. The dashboard is crisp, clean, fluid, fast and responsive. The store added a search box instead of selecting each individual letter of a title. They added folders which is awesome. If I can put that "what's new" tile in a folder, I would literally have zero complaints.

I don't want Sony copying others especially if it's shitty gimmicks. Just no. Stick to the basics that have made you successful since 1995. No reason to change that direction just because others are doing so. All Sony has to do for me is stay on course with what they've done with PS4 going into PS5 and beyond.

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
Mate, we don't even know if there is a sequel of GoW brewing at Santa Monica. Cory hinted about a planned trilogy but he is not directing the next game, information is scarce if it's happening.
of course there is, their next game is very likely GoW 2, cory just isnt directly working on it, but he did write the general plot points to tackle for the narrative director.

I'm still speechless by the Sony engines.
leandro-amaral-3.jpg

13713.jpg

GOT_Screen_PS4Pro_4K_E32018_00010_1528773444.jpg

oh these scenes just look amazing...... the combination of incredible art direction and really low level optimization worked so well for sony this gen.

Desfrog

Oct 29, 2017
Mate, we don't even know if there is a sequel of GoW brewing at Santa Monica. Cory hinted about a planned trilogy but he is not directing the next game, information is scarce if it's happening.
The game was crazy well received, sold crazy well and ended on cliff hanger. A sequel is absolutely happening, although obviously for next gen at this point.

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017
While all of them + including Insomniac (I didn't forget about you guys : )) amazing, I wish they would give option for 60 fps.

I'm fine with lower details & such for that silky framerate.

CAPCOM with RE Engine in 60 fps already amazing.

Thing is you can see the things capcom had to cut down to get 60fps on the DMC5 demo for eg .
With Sony games going open world or having huge areas it going to be hard to get that 60fps .

Bundy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
the question is how many first party studios they have original engine and how many of them use third party engine like Unreal 4
we know Sony Bend working in Unreal 4
but what about the others Japan studio , Polyphony Digital , Santa Monica Studio , San Diego Studio ..etc ?
They all have their own engines. Looks like Bend Studio and PixelOpus are the only ones working with 3rd party engines. Maybe Manchester Studio, too.

Turkoop

Oct 25, 2017
Cologne, GERMANY
They all have their own engines. Looks like Bend Studio and PixelOpus are the only ones working with 3rd party engines. Maybe Manchester Studio, too.
Yeah I don't think Bend had the time to develop a new engine. And I think Decimal Engine was not available back in the time when they needed it. Pretty sure, when they are happy with it. They will stick with UE4.

Modest_Modsoul

Living the Dreams
Oct 29, 2017
Good thing about Unreal Engine 4 is that it has more colors than 3.

Yeah, realized that 3 probably has something to do with the developers too generation back; dull grey, brown metal art style/direction in games.

Bundy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah I don't think Bend had the time to develop a new engine. And I think Decimal Engine was not available back in the time when they needed it. Pretty sure, when they are happy with it. They will stick with UE4.
Bend Studio is almost as big as Sucker Punch now. Soon (after Ghost of Tsushima and Days Gone) they will be similar in size.
And Sucker Punch has their own (amazing) engine. Bend Studio could make their own engine. The question is, if they want to. As mentioned before: Some of the guys at Bend Studio are one advisory board of the UE4 tech. So maybe they really like to work with UE4 and don't want their own engine.

stryke

Oct 28, 2017
isn't better if they use engine from first party studios ?
i mean
Bend Studio and PixelOpus

Documentation and dev pipeline

Only GG have probably put in the effort make Decima usable by outside studios.

But even then maybe it still didn't suit their needs. Not to mention their technical director already has a vested interested in unreal being on the advisory board.

Lukemia SL

Jan 30, 2018
I stand corrected.

I thought XXXrd using UE4 instead of 3 though...

Granted I didn't play fighting games & FPSs that much so my fuzzy memories of generation back of UE3 games are mostly grey-brown alike.

But at least DmC also colorful just like those pics.

dmc-screenshot-10.jpg

Yeah forgot about DmC using Unreal 3. I don't know why most developers chose this brown, wet and shiny art direction last gen.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
I'm still speechless by the Sony engines.
leandro-amaral-3.jpg

13713.jpg

GOT_Screen_PS4Pro_4K_E32018_00010_1528773444.jpg
I honestly think the reasoning goes back to PS2/PS3: those systems were so overly complicated that they needed incredible talent to make the most of them. Now they still have that incredible talent, but working on a far easier platform to develop for. And the results speak volumes.

But it's not just the engines, it's the huge budget Sony spends on assets for any of their published games, that really shines through. And I'd imagine their Visual Arts support studio will provide a lot of those too.

Sharpeye

Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
So, think we're going to get anything Last of Us related on Valentine's day? Anniversary of Left Behind DLC and the whole love/hate theme they're going with.

Strafer

The Flagpole is Wider
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
I just want them to reveal Joel. I'm dying to see what he will look like.

Bring on next gen joel.

SolidSnakex

Oct 25, 2017
So, think we're going to get anything Last of Us related on Valentine's day? Anniversary of Left Behind DLC and the whole love/hate theme they're going with.

They very well could do something for LB's 5th Anniversary. Although i'm not sure what it'd be. Like if there are any Part II references to Riley, i'd think they'd want to allow players to discover that on their own instead of revealing it through an Anniversary event.

Alandring

Banned
Feb 2, 2018
Switzerland
Bend Studio is almost as big as Sucker Punch now. Soon (after Ghost of Tsushima and Days Gone) they will be similar in size.
And Sucker Punch has their own (amazing) engine. Bend Studio could make their own engine. The question is, if they want to. As mentioned before: Some of the guys at Bend Studio are one advisory board of the UE4 tech. So maybe they really like to work with UE4 and don't want their own engine.
For me, it's just a waste of time and money that every studio has its own engine. I don't understand why Sony allows that. If I was Sony, I would create an engine that each first party studio would use.

I know that EA had many problems with the Forstbite, which they imposed to all studios, but I think it's because Frostbite is a bad engine, not because an engine can't be used for different games.

TheRaidenPT

Editor-in-Chief, Hyped Pixels
Verified
Jun 11, 2018
Lisbon, Portugal
For me, it's just a waste of time and money that every studio has its own engine. I don't understand why Sony allows that. If I was Sony, I would create an engine that each first party studio would use.

I know that EA had many problems with the Forstbite, which they imposed to all studios, but I think it's because Frostbite is a bad engine, not because an engine can't be used for different games.

Each them has their own goals... Bend was a very small studio when it started working on Days Gone.

Who knows what happens after Days Gone has shipped, far as we know Sony could be adopting Decima for theirs teams come next gen....

Until PSX/PS Meeting we have no valid or real info regarding what studios will use beside Guerrilla and Kojima productions who will continue to use Decima.

And Naughty Dog will continue to use their custom stuff

Herey

Unshakable Resolve
Jan 10, 2019
I agree. They will give Days Gone at least one good month of sales (more likely )before they even give another hint or tease about TLOU 2.
I'm really not so sure that they're dependent on each other. Like others have said, Days Gone wasn't meant to be a 2019 game let alone mid 2019.

Bundy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Some studios want to do stuff that almost nobody does. So they have different priorities, different goals. They wanna have their own engine to highlight that. And they can care about their own stuff, upgrading it again and again. No need to support another studio who is also using your engine, etc. Naughty Dog and the Decima Engine wouldn't make any sense, for example.
Bend Studio (open-world game) and Decima Engine tho... maybe :) But hey, let the studios do what they want. They have their freedom. Which is awesome, thanks to Sony.

Status
Not open for further replies.