• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Johannes

Oct 28, 2017
For me, it's just a waste of time and money that every studio has its own engine. I don't understand why Sony allows that. If I was Sony, I would create an engine that each first party studio would use.

I know that EA had many problems with the Forstbite, which they imposed to all studios, but I think it's because Frostbite is a bad engine, not because an engine can't be used for different games.
EA is prime example why this would be an awful idea.

Gran Turismo Sport, Dreams, Uncharted 4, Horizon Zero Dawn, Astobot. Here is five completely different 1st party titles. I have hard time believing that the development process would be faster (and therefore cheaper) if GTS, Dreams, HZD and Astrobot would have used the same engine that Naughty Dog is using.

Heckler456

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
For me, it's just a waste of time and money that every studio has its own engine. I don't understand why Sony allows that. If I was Sony, I would create an engine that each first party studio would use.

I know that EA had many problems with the Forstbite, which they imposed to all studios, but I think it's because Frostbite is a bad engine, not because an engine can't be used for different games.
Just wondering, is this opinion based on any technical know-how?

daniel77733

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

I disagree 100%. Fuck off (not you) with having a "universal" engine as that just restricts what the developers want to do. Let the development studios develop the games that they want to develop and how they want to develop them. EA is a fucking disaster. All the potential in the world and they never ever live up to it. Doesn't matter if Frostbite is good or not because that's NOT the issue. The issue is EA forcing all their developers to use it. Why would any developer use an engine when there's a better engine available for what they want to develop?

Rodjer

Self-requested ban.
Jan 28, 2018

This is wrong, only BioWare had problems with Frostbite (now apparently they are good with it) while Criterion, Ghost Games, DICE, EA Canada and Vancouver didn't have the same problems when they made the sports titles, the battlefield games, the battlefront titles, PvZ and NFS titles.

TheRaidenPT

Editor-in-Chief, Hyped Pixels
Verified
Jun 11, 2018
Lisbon, Portugal
I disagree 100%. Fuck off (not you) with having a "universal" engine as that just restricts what the developers want to do. Let the development studios develop the games that they want to develop and how they want to develop them. EA is a fucking disaster. All the potential in the world and they never ever live up to it. Doesn't matter if Frostbite is good or not because that's NOT the issue. The issue is EA forcing all their developers to use it. Why would any developer use an engine when there's a better engine available for what they want to develop?

Exactly if they need an engine they'll can always talk to Sony like Kojima did.

Each studio and creative team to it's own

Alandring

Banned
Feb 2, 2018
Switzerland
EA is prime example why this would be an awful idea.

Gran Turismo Sport, Dreams, Uncharted 4, Horizon Zero Dawn, Astobot. Here is five completely different 1st party titles. I have hard time believing that the development process would be faster (and therefore cheaper) if GTS, Dreams, HZD and Astrobot would have used the same engine that Naughty Dog is using.
But look at the Unreal Engine. It was used for fighting games (Tekken 6, Street Fighter V), flight simulation games (Ace Combat), RPG (The Outer Worlds), MOBA (Paragon), FPS (Gears of War 4), narrative games (Life is Strange), open world games (Days Gone, Crackdown 3)... and I could continue for a long time.

Yes, an engine can be used for every kind of game, if it is a good engine and if it is made for that. For sure, using an engine made only for FPS for every other games isn't a good idea. But building an own engine, which should be used for every kind of game, is absolutely possible. Yes, it certainly costs a lot of money, but probably less than allowing every studio to use its own engine.

abady-25

Oct 27, 2017
But look at the Unreal Engine. It was used for fighting games (Tekken 6, Street Fighter V), flight simulation games (Ace Combat), RPG (The Outer Worlds), MOBA (Paragon), FPS (Gears of War 4), narrative games (Life is Strange), open world games (Days Gone, Crackdown 3)... and I could continue for a long time.

Yes, an engine can be used for every kind of game, if it is a good engine and if it is made for that. For sure, using an engine made only for FPS for every other games isn't a good idea. But building an own engine, which should be used for every kind of game, is absolutely possible. Yes, it certainly costs a lot of money, but probably less than allowing every studio to use its own engine.

it was worked with Guerrilla Games from FPS to open world game

Johannes

Oct 28, 2017

The games you listed are using 3rd/4th version of Unreal Engine from a company who has been in this line of business since the late 90's. At this point Epic has long history of creating engines that would be used in variety of different genres. Sony doesn't share this history, since in many cases the 1st party studios have crafted their own engines to specifically fit their own need. It would cost lot of resources (both time and money) and the outcome would be extremely uncertain: the engine might work well on certain aspects but in certain features extremely bad. In short term this would raise the overall costs and development time, since studios are forced to use one specific universal engine. Similarly in the long term this could also be more expensive route for Sony if the universal engine just doesn't suit well with every 1st party titles.

Deleted member 864

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
image0.jpg

Stolen from...somewhere
lol

Lukemia SL

Jan 30, 2018
Yeah I think people forget that Killzone SF was the first game to use the Decima engine, not HZD.

Then Until Dawn too?

Yep Shadow Fall, Both Until Dawns, Rigs, Horizon and Death Stranding. People confuse it at times for not being Decima used on those games, but it only got named once Kojima came around. Same engine.

Bundy that's awesome.

Thadeus

Oct 27, 2017
PS5 won't actually be a console. It will be a couch. Sony is going into the furniture business and leaving games. Naughty Dog will specialize in varnished tables.

Funny that you mentioned

[Commercial application 2019-4221] trademark :[ image] (standard character)/applicant: Sony Interactive Entertainment Co., Ltd./Application Date: January 10, 2019/Category: 14 (Key ring, etc.), 16 (printed material, etc.), 18 (bag, etc.), 20 (cushion etc.), 21 (for home use or kitchen...

You must be an insider

501807855838691333.png

daniel77733

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Just finished Detroit. Great 8.0/10 game and the best choice and consequence game out there easily. Gorgeous visuals, animations and world. Excellent story and characters. Enjoyed it. If the premise interests me, I'll definitely play David Cage's and Quantic Dream's next game.

SolidSnakex

Oct 25, 2017

I think this is the first interview where he really spells out why they aren't at E3 this year

What lead you to the decision to back away from E3 in 2019?

We've been going to E3 since the beginning, which was... 1995, I believe was the first E3. Back in 1995, and PlayStation One was just out and there were Sega Saturns, there was some Nintendo stuff going on, I'm sure. It really was a trade show focusing on retailers and the media. No general admission, just people in the industry. Retailers would come up and say things like, "Hi, I'm from Sears and I'm the buyer. I'm in charge of Hot Wheels, Barbie, VHS, and video games. So what's this PlayStation thing I am hearing about?" And there was a huge educational component, talking to retailers. Sharing what games were coming out and what products we had, all across the industry. Back then you had actual magazines that were printed on paper.

[Laughs] Oh, I know. Though, we definitely are the vinyl today.

There were longer lead times, obviously, you know your business.

I also remember standing in lines with that guy from Toys 'R Us and he was like, "I do Barbie, and now we need to do video games." That would be an interesting learning curve.

There was functionally no internet then. So, fast forward 22, 23 years. In our business, we conclude all of our major retail activities at an event we call Destination PlayStation which occurs in February. The media landscape has changed, which you know better than anybody, and with the internet being on 24-7, there is no silent periods where people aren't getting game news.

There is not.

It's happening all the time, so those constituencies have become sort of lesser impact at this event, and so you begin to wonder – and this is not necessarily new, this has been going on for some time – what is E3?

I would agree.

What does this show become? They've tried the last couple of years – 'they' being the ESA. I'm on the board so it's me, too – brought in 'prosumers' or people who could get in on a very limited ticket program and you could see very quickly, there is no such thing as a hybrid trade show and consumer show. That's just a car crash. Either your show is optimized around the consumer experience, à la Tokyo Game Show, à la Gamescom, or you're a trade experience like CES or the Motor Show, or E3. The Motor Show I understand because cars are heavy and getting them all together in one place is a massive undertaking, but we're gaming. We live in the ether. We're digital. We're everywhere at once. So what is the role of an event that occurs at, frankly, an arbitrary date in June? How does that work for all the stories you want to tell? This year, coming to 2019, I'll be honest – we just didn't have a new story to tell. And when Sony rings the bell for everyone to come 'round, they have an expectation for something that is completely new and amazing. We looked at the lineup and we can probably only give fans a lot of updates on things they already know, so how does this work for us?

We're doing fewer games at any given time than any time before in our history. Back in the day, when we were doing 15-20 games at a time; there was always a new game. Something was in a window that we could have that conversation about. But 2019, for us, that confluence just didn't occur. So rather than raising fans' expectations for them to think, "Oh what's Sony going to be saying at E3?" We decided we would step away. To be fair, we weren't the first company to do that. EA and Activision have stepped back, and Microsoft has scaled down. This has engendered a conversation in the halls of the ESA. What do we do? How do we transform E3 into a place of more relevance and now. You look at Comic Con crowds and you get desirous of that, or PAX East or PAX West, and the kind of energy that comes from those shows.

We can speak directly to our fans like never before, and they want to come and associate themselves with our activities as never before. We probably want to find a way to embrace that cohort because that's what it's all about. It's all about direct to consumers. How am I telling my story? And what am I able to show them? So, I would like to see E3 turn into more of a festival of gaming. It's not this company against that company and that company against this company. We're not in our hideaways on our platforms, we're just doorways into this room full of gamers. That's my future hope for E3.

Why is the ESA reluctant to embrace the more fan-focused style of show?

It's not really reluctant. As a collective, we don't know what we don't know and it is… is this Prince of Persia? If I jump, will the bridge be there? That's what the ESA is right now. If we jump from the trade show thing to the consumer show… I do think the bridge will appear. We did PSX, we didn't know what that was going to be like. We did it for the 25th anniversary of PlayStation, but we got lucky. If you build it, they will come. That's the conversation we're having in real time right now with the ESA. Just because PlayStation is not at E3 2019 doesn't mean we won't be there in 2020.

That honestly makes a lot of sense to me.

Iwao

Oct 25, 2017
So we'll never get to see John Kodera on stage?

I don't like Jim's stage presence, nor his shenanigans.

SolidSnakex

Oct 25, 2017
Jim Ryan will be the new CEO of SIE https://www.prnewswire.com/news-rel...sony-interactive-entertainment-300793557.html
Doesn't exactly fill me with confidence when it comes to BC support for future consoles, this is the guy who publicly stated that few people actually use BC and he publicly asked why people would even want to play PS1 and PS2 games

He was simply defending the companies position. There was a time when Sony said rumble was irrelevant as well. That was only because the SixAxis didn't have it. So I doubt that was actually his views on BC. It was more of him just defending the fact that at the time Sony doesn't have BC.

Sonicfan059

Mar 4, 2018
Jim Ryan will be the new CEO of SIE https://www.prnewswire.com/news-rel...sony-interactive-entertainment-300793557.html
Doesn't exactly fill me with confidence when it comes to BC support for future consoles, this is the guy who publicly stated that few people actually use BC and he publicly asked why people would even want to play PS1 and PS2 games
That's not entirely true. He was at an event and was referring to Gran Turismo games. They had all of the games set up and he made that comment about playing the old GT games as opposed to the newer ones with better physics.

"That, and I was at a Gran Turismo event recently where they had PS1, PS2, PS3 and PS4 games, and the PS1 and the PS2 games, they looked ancient, like why would anybody play this?"

He's clearly talking about the series not old games in general. It's not like racing games change that much they're still essentially the same games just with newer cars and better simulation model.

Last edited:

fanboy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Slovakia
I guess that we now know why there were so many guys from media showing up at sony hq lately? Were they all there to interview shawn, or maybe even some other guys from his studios?

nolifebr

Banned
Sep 1, 2018
Curitiba/BR
Very curious to see what will happen for now on. Kodera coming back to the online focus is pretty interesting. Jim Ryan would not be at Sony after 25 years if he was not competent too.

OG_Thrills

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

tenor.gif

Frostbite is arguably the best third party engine in the business but it doesn't "fit" every game and as a result, holds some games back from full potential on various fronts.

Donthizz

Oct 26, 2017
Jim Ryan makes sense tbh. Look what PS have been doing in Europe. Also he's been with PlayStation since the beggining I think.

poklane

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
Exactly. If a studio is comfortable using a certain engine just let them use it, forcing a specific engine down their throats is only gonna give you development troubles.

ArkhamFantasy

Oct 25, 2017
Im not saying hes not qualified or that he wont do a good job as president, but ryan consistently has the worst PR I've seen from someone consistently across generations.

Just keep him away from the press.

fanboy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Slovakia
All of these posts about Jim's excellent work in Europe... and thats all, no one actually says anything specific about it. So, what exactly has he done in europe? Thanks in advance, I would really like to know this guy better.

THE GUY

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
All of these posts about Jim's excellent work in Europe... and thats all, no one actually says anything specific about it. So, what exactly has he done in europe? Thanks in advance, I would really like to know this guy better.
I actually just made a post in that thread about his role:
We already know Sony's three regions operate independently. This has been commented on by them in the past. Jim Ryan has also commented on it himself, while speaking about the differences in the markets and their approaches. You can even see it in how SIEE tends to be a lot better about bundles as well as retailer specific advertising among other things.

While SIE may have an overall strategy for the product, there isn't some board determining how everyone is supposed to execute strategy across all of their operations. Each region has a leadership team, and then you have a global leadership team (this consists of the top executives at the company only). The global leadership team is what sets the strategy for the business, and then regional one executes it based on their respective specialties in their regions, and according to their market approach. In particular SIEE is responsible for over 100 territories across Europe, the Middle East, Africa and Oceania. They're basically the biggest operation in SIE. Jim Ryan, before becoming president of SIEE in 2011, was the executive vice-president of Finance at SIEE. He was responsible for managing all aspects relating to that, including being chiefly responsible for analyzing and reporting on data that would aid in management's decisions. That's the important part because it's basically your backbone. Sony's expansion in Europe in the last decade or so, as well as their increased presence in the Middle East etc. has happened under his guidance. The very reason he'll have been promoted to head of SIEE in 2011 will likely have been due to how well they managed to position PS3 in EMEA despite the disastrous global strategy and it's because of the performance of SIEE in particular that the generation wasn't as bad as it could've been.

And besides that, this dude was involved in the PS4 strategy too. The strategy for these systems isn't set up by one person. They have a global leadership team for a reason. That team is basically the advisory position to the CEO. They bring their respective data, insights, and analysis, and it's off that which the CEO determines what his vision is and what to do. And these dudes will likely have extensive discussions and meetings about what they feel is the right thing to do. It's not one guy simply calling the shots and everyone following. The CEO is ultimately responsible and will have a vision, but it's still a team effort for the most part.

Like, we can rip the dude for his comments or whatever, but the man has a strong history of success within the company. And disregarding that, he's not going to suddenly change everything about Playstation just because he's CEO. For one, he's still working with the same leadership team, and they will likely have a goal in place already, which he will have been part of setting up in the first place since he's been part of that team for a long time.

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
So was there a particular reason we got those interviews from Layden today? I know DICE is tomorrow, but was there any other significance to why he decided to to do the interviews now?

Also, is anything from DICE broadcast either live or afterwards?

OrdinaryPrime

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Did anyone else get this Days Gone email where they want me to go to a website at 9 am on Wednesday or whatever?

Squarealex

Nov 11, 2017
Jim Ryan good ? Don't know.

PlayStation Brand is very powerfull on Europe, but man, this is worlwide now. USA Market is different, Japan too...
Also, Sony stop censoring japanese games after Kodera ?

chris 1515

Oct 27, 2017
Barcelona Spain

Have there own engine have some advantage too

http://deanoc.com/to-bespoke-or-not-to-bespoke-that-is-the-question

A blog post from a Dev about this question.

Another advantage at the beginning and until the middle of the generation the Decima Engine performs better than UE4. Now it is probably not the case end of generation but it was told by the technical director of Guerrilla Games.

Status
Not open for further replies.