• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 3, 2019
Out of curiosity, does Insomniac run multiple dev teams? We know they'll be working on Spider-Man 2, but how many other dev teams do they have running to make other games at the same time?
They have two studios, one in Burbank, on in North Carolina. The studios aren't necessarily working on different games however. I believe both of them worked on Spidey and the Ratchet remake.

ArmGunar

PlayStatistician
Oct 30, 2017
They have two studios, one in Burbank, on in North Carolina. The studios aren't necessarily working on different games however. I believe both of them worked on Spidey and the Ratchet remake.

I don't know why but I still think we could get Ratchet in 2020 and Spider-Man 2 in 2021

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
Spidey 1 took 3.5 years to make from scratch. No way they take some 4 years for Spidey 2.
well, we need to consider the fact it will release on a new generation of a system => need to get used to new system + increased dev time from increased scope.
so i wouldnt say no way.
developers that took 2 years to make a game last gen take 3 years this gen.

Dabi3

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
well, we need to consider the fact it will release on a new generation of a system => need to get used to new system + increased dev time from increased scope.
so i wouldnt say no way.
developers that took 2 years to make a game last gen take 3 years this gen.

Sure, I guess my point is that the foundation is there (unless they decide to set the next game in London lol), and most rumours point to the next generation console having a similar architecture.

Plus its Insomniac, they churn out games like few do.

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
Sure, I guess my point is that the foundation is there (unless they decide to set the next game in London lol), and most rumours point to the next generation console having a similar architecture.

Plus its Insomniac, they churn out games like few do.
that is true, if insomniac proved one thing this gen, is that they are one of, if not the most efficient AAA studio out there.

Deleted member 36493

User requested account closure
Dec 19, 2017
With how they were able to get out DLCs, maybe it's not incredibly far-fetched. And I wouldn't want them to revolutionize anything. I just want more Spider-Man. Prettier graphics on PS5, some touch-ups here and there, but they laid an incredible foundation and I just want more. Ditto for GoW.

I wonder. Had Spider-Man come out in 2016, we might've seen a sequel last year. It's this new gen that could offset stuff.

Aokiji

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles
The+Last+Of+Us+Part+2
tumblr_pa6wfoYwRb1tdh1jbo3_540.gif

F4r0_Atak

Oct 31, 2017
Home
i rather a have new Shooter IP than another Killzone

Maybe GG will go back to this Project

0lR5Ult.jpg
tenor.gif

I know some people are not very fond of the Killzone franchise, but Killzone 2, 3, Liberation and Mercenary were all amazing. If they could make a new game from the Helgan perspective, it would be awesome.

As for that other project they wanted to work on when they had to choose between Horizon and this one, I would love to see this as a kind of FPS Alternate History RPG.

F4r0_Atak

Oct 31, 2017
Home
lol, maybe. But since people are speculating on what's coming up next I was curious to know if Insomniac would have the reserve manpower to crank out another title. So say for a moment their other dev teams aren't working on a R&C game, any speculation on what they could be doing? Of course the other games could either be MS exclusive or multi-plat, just wondering if there's any other speculation or indication of what they could be doing.
First of all, don't forget they are working on a VR title for Occulus called Stormlands I think. So I would assume they have the manpower to make 2 projects (1 big AAA and 1 medium sized) rolling viable for them. Also, it seems that their next project has been kinda "confirmed". Apparently, Sony already greenlit Spider-Man 2 and Insomniac Games already started working on it. Take it with a grain of salt. I can verify this information with one of the mods if they want, because I don't want to risk the person's job by saying where I got it.

Shawn Layden was talking about that werewolf project on stage at DICE - so that's 100% dead.
What werewolf project? Guerilla's Or The Order sequel? :P

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
Ya know I never thought about this, but in various threads there's always talk about PS5 devkits and whatnot, but what about PSVR2 devkits? I have to imagine it'd be a lot harder for Sony to put that into the hands of devs, so I wonder how that's handled. Do they actually cobble together a proper headset for devs (not retail units) to test with, or use PCVR headsets?

EDIT.

And I guess on top of that, would a PSVR2 devkit need a PS5 devkit?

Last edited:

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's true that Polyphony might take some time but I believe they have the nuts and bolts to build the next game a lot faster. Gran Turismo Sport took so much time because they redid pretty much everything.

Yeah, i just hope they don't rebuild everything again or make life difficult for themselves.

I'd buy a new Gran Turismo at launch if it happened.

nolifebr

Banned
Sep 1, 2018
Curitiba/BR
Both TLOU2 and Death Stranding in 2019 would be huge for Sony. We would need wait and to see the quality of the games, but 2019 could be a year comparable to 2018 as the best year from Sony in the generation.

Shairi

Aug 27, 2018
Shawn Layden was talking about that werewolf project on stage at DICE - so that's 100% dead.

That's my take, too. They openly talked about it and Sony and GG used it to show that GG chose the more innovative and risky pitch with Horizon. They won't go back and develop the safer and less innovative pitch now. The game would be seen as the second-best option. It's dead.

Turkoop

Oct 25, 2017
Cologne, GERMANY
Both TLOU2 and Death Stranding in 2019 would be huge for Sony. We would need wait and to see the quality of the games, but 2019 could be a year comparable to 2018 as the best year from Sony in the generation.
I mean, Sony has around 18 months to release DS, TLOU2, GoT and some other Games. I'm pretty sure they are planning at least one AAA-title alongside with the launch of PS5. So two of them in 2019 is very likely IMO

Oct 25, 2017
That's my take, too. They openly talked about it and Sony and GG used it to show that GG chose the more innovative and risky pitch with Horizon. They won't go back and develop the safer and less innovative pitch now. The game would be seen as the second-best option. It's dead.

The thing that people imagine will always be greater than what exists in reality. It's why you should never take people pining after cancelled games seriously.

Elandyll

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
That would mean 5 games in 2019. (Dreams, Days Gone, Concrete Genie) No way!
Not counting MLB (yearly franchise)

2017: Gravity Rush 2, Horizon Zero Dawn, Uncharted Lost Legacy, Gran Turismo Sport, Knack 2, Everybody's Golf, Wipeout Omega Collection + VR (Farpoint...) and playlink stuff

2018: SotC, God of War, Detroit Become Human, Spider-Man
Big VR push: Astro Bot, Deracine, Firewall Zero Hour, The Inpatient...

2019: Days Gone, Dreams, Medievil remake (Concrete Genie is likely to be a PSN-only release type at about 5h long and "indie" developped)...
VR: Blood & Truth (?)

I think 2 more, probably TLOU2 and DS is the least that's going to be announced.

ArkhamFantasy

Oct 25, 2017
I think we're overestimating the effect that other first party games have on each others release dates.

I think Sony would rather launch Days Gone and Dreams on the same day rather than launch Days Gone on the same day as something like Assassins Creed or Destiny 3.

Obviously they'd rather give them some space, but i don't think they're going to shelf a game for 3+ months when its ready to ship just because there's another first party game in the same time frame. Heck, just last year Square Enix released Tomb Raider and Dragon Quest within a week of each other.

Oct 25, 2017
When even the first party focused thread belittles the "smaller" stuff no wonder Sony only worried about big games that take longer and are story focused cinematic experiences

N.Domixis

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
God damn, a Twisted Metal BR would be the perfect way to re introduce the franchise. Drop 100 characters onto a map where they have to go and look for a vehicle and start twisted metaling. Winner gets Colypos's Wish.

Or just cargo drop 100 cars from the sky and let shit hit the fan the moment they all land. Furisously searching the map for weapon items.

Morrowbie

Oct 28, 2017
Yeah, i just hope they don't rebuild everything again or make life difficult for themselves.

I'd buy a new Gran Turismo at launch if it happened.
If PD really did 'future proof' their new car models they could have GT7 out at launch as long as it's using (up-rezzed) assets from Sport and they just add a more meaty single player 'caRPG' mode. It could be exactly the sort of graphical showcase you want at launch of a new console.

Zukkoyaki

Oct 25, 2017
God damn, a Twisted Metal BR would be the perfect way to re introduce the franchise. Drop 100 characters onto a map where they have to go and look for a vehicle and start twisted metaling. Winner gets Colypos's Wish.

Or just cargo drop 100 cars from the sky and let shit hit the fan the moment they all land. Furisously searching the map for weapon items.
There's an indie game on the way looking to fill that niche called Notmycar

Oct 25, 2017

giphy.gif

Shairi

Aug 27, 2018
Not counting MLB (yearly franchise)

2017: Gravity Rush 2, Horizon Zero Dawn, Uncharted Lost Legacy, Gran Turismo Sport, Knack 2, Everybody's Golf, Wipeout Omega Collection + VR (Farpoint...) and playlink stuff

2018: SotC, God of War, Detroit Become Human, Spider-Man
Big VR push: Astro Bot, Deracine, Firewall Zero Hour, The Inpatient...

2019: Days Gone, Dreams, Medievil remake (Concrete Genie is likely to be a PSN-only release type at about 5h long and "indie" developped)...
VR: Blood & Truth (?)

I think 2 more, probably TLOU2 and DS is the least that's going to be announced.

Concrete Genie won't be a PSN-only type game. It will launch as a 40$ AA-release, like Ratchet & Clank and Knack 2.

OP
OP
JuanLatino

JuanLatino

Cerny’s little helper
Oct 25, 2017
tenor.gif

I know some people are not very fond of the Killzone franchise, but Killzone 2, 3, Liberation and Mercenary were all amazing. If they could make a new game from the Helgan perspective, it would be awesome.

As for that other project they wanted to work on when they had to choose between Horizon and this one, I would love to see this as a kind of FPS Alternate History RPG.

The thing is
I would much rather see the resources spend on a new ip than letting 100-150 people work on a new killzone game

Let them make a unique new shooter ip like they did with horizon in the rpg genre

Guerilla games do it !!!!

ViperViking

Jan 15, 2019
Has there been any info, rumor or official, on when LOU2 might release? Please tell me this will finally be the year!

Penny Royal

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
QLD, Australia
Days Gone dev time is normal for AAA new IP, SpiderMan being developed in less than 4 years is just insane.

Insomniac is just absurdly talented and well managed.

Good project management plus a much smaller scope in design.

Spider-Man is an awesome game, but the fun in traversal & combat plus a good story masks a very conservative & fairly limited game design in terms of mission structure. It also doesn't push tech in terms of real-time weather & lighting.

I can't speak to DG mission structure yet, but they're creating a far more diverse & ambitious world than Insomniac did with Spidey.

THIS IS NOT SLAGGING SPIDER-MAN OFF. It's a great game, but from what I've seen I think DG is a much bigger & diverse game.

Status
Not open for further replies.