• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

daniel77733

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sticking with Death Stranding for September or October 2019. Ghost of Tsushima February 2020 and TLOUP2 June 2020 after E3.

Acquiescence

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Lake Titicaca
I'm currently playing through Gravity Rush 2 and it really bums me out that we may never get a GR3 😔.

I would love for Sony to give Gravity Rush a AAA budget. The spectacle of GR2 is already amazing, but just imagine what could be done with Uncharteds budget.

I think the Gravity Rush series was fine with the budget it had. Remastered and 2 still ended up looking gorgeous and vibrant without the megabucks.

I definitely agree with you that we need a third one though. Feels like a waste not returning to a traversal system and protagonist that good ever again.

Omnistalgic

self-requested temp ban
Oct 27, 2017
NJ
If I read another impression on Death Stranding saying it's transformative I'm gonna flip! Man! What gives Kojima?! Show us what the new gameplay mechanics are! Was BotW this vague before it's launch?

fanboy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Slovakia
Sticking with Death Stranding for September or October 2019. Ghost of Tsushima February 2020 and TLOUP2 June 2020 after E3.

This doesnt make sense really.

Tlou 2 was more finished then tsushima as of the same time (around e3 last year if I recall correctly?).

Tsushima is open world and new ip, tlou is not (it wouldnt surprise me however if both games are about the same size but still).

Nd has like 2x more devs and they are much more efficient. No way in the hell comes tsushima sooner then tlou 2.

DreamSurf

Banned
May 27, 2018
If I read another impression on Death Stranding saying it's transformative I'm gonna flip! Man! What gives Kojima?! Show us what the new gameplay mechanics are! Was BotW this vague before it's launch?
Ik why should I trust a friend of Kojima's opinion on the game? Ofc they are gonna say it is amazing but why tf do division devs know what is good their own games are fucking lifeless GAAS.

I really don't understand the marketing. I get being secretive and actively support it but after a trailer showing what the fuck you do in the game. Even 30 seconds of clips mashed together is fine.

ArkhamFantasy

Oct 25, 2017
There was more gameplay footage in BOTWs announcement trailer (3 years before it launched) than there has been in all of DS footage combined, they've basically only shown cutscenes and walking.

BOTW had tons of footage before it released, they let people play it for 45 minutes at E3. You should also keep in mind that friends visiting Koji Pro are not going to give you an unbiased opinion of the game, they're of course going to be complimentary even if they just saw really rough prototypes to them.

daniel77733

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This doesnt make sense really.

Tlou 2 was more finished then tsushima as of the same time (around e3 last year if I recall correctly?).

Tsushima is open world and new ip, tlou is not (it wouldnt surprise me however if both games are about the same size but still).

Nd has like 2x more devs and they are much more efficient. No way in the hell comes tsushima sooner then tlou 2.

Agree with everything you said but im sticking with my prediction.

Omnistalgic

self-requested temp ban
Oct 27, 2017
NJ
Ik why should I trust a friend of Kojima's opinion on the game? Ofc they are gonna say it is amazing but why tf do division devs know what is good their own games are fucking lifeless GAAS.

I really don't understand the marketing. I get being secretive and actively support it but after a trailer showing what the fuck you do in the game. Even 30 seconds of clips mashed together is fine.
There was more gameplay footage in BOTWs announcement trailer (3 years before it launched) than there has been in all of DS footage combined, they've basically only shown cutscenes and walking.

BOTW had tons of footage before it released, they let people play it for 45 minutes at E3. You should also keep in mind that friends visiting Koji Pro are not going to give you an unbiased opinion of the game, they're of course going to be complimentary even if they just saw really rough prototypes to them.

All valid stuff I thought I was the only one. I do think Kojima had a cool concept in his head and the art direction is fantastic. But it's about time for the receipts.

I remember Botw being basically Nintendo's entire E3 that year because everyone's experience was so different with the game. Is it even open on that level?

Sorel

Oct 27, 2017
I think the Gravity Rush series was fine with the budget it had. Remastered and 2 still ended up looking gorgeous and vibrant without the megabucks.

I definitely agree with you that we need a third one though. Feels like a waste not returning to a traversal system and protagonist that good ever again.

I feel like 2 was in reality more 2 and 3, they knew it was gonna bomb and Toyama went all in cause he knew it was the last one. I'm happy we still got it cause I loved it, almost cried at the end with the acapella, it was Wonderfull. But honestly the franchise completely bombed, don't do a 3.

Was a bit disappointed with some of the reveal though. Like the environment is beautiful, why can't I fall in it, see my people ? and the twist was a bit of nonsense and the weird stuff (I can't seem to find the word I'm looking for, esoteric maybe?) took a bit too long to come. It's just nitpicking though cause I really loved it. Kat best super-hero, hands down.

nolifebr

Banned
Sep 1, 2018
Curitiba/BR
This is very cool. A guy posted on Reddit that he's playing Horizon on his work (an airport) with the Remote Play.
https://www.reddit.com/r/PS4/comments/b0eh3l/image_god_i_love_remote_play_playing_at_work/

XTq7EhC.jpg

Next generation will have a big focus on this. And if that rumor that Sony will make a tablet/portable (like Switch) to run PS4/PS5 games via streaming is real. They'll make a good amount of money.

Oct 25, 2017
Ghosts I'm not too down on when it come to seeing about it but goddammit we been seeing Ds and tlou2 as long as days gone. It's worst for Ds cuz Kojima don't never be quiet mans all over social with the game but not the "game" of that makes sense

Seeya

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This is very cool. A guy posted on Reddit that he's playing Horizon on his work (an airport) with the Remote Play.
https://www.reddit.com/r/PS4/comments/b0eh3l/image_god_i_love_remote_play_playing_at_work/

XTq7EhC.jpg

Next generation will have a big focus on this. And if that rumor that Sony will make a tablet/portable (like Switch) to run PS4/PS5 games via streaming is real. They'll make a good amount of money.

If they do make a portable... I hope that it's just an alternative version akin to Microsoft's rumoured streaming only version

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
I do wonder if Sony will strive to maintain their current pace of 2 (arguably 3) blockbuster AAA experiences a year with a slew of other titles mixed in, or if they'll aim to increase the amount to 3 to 4 blockbusters a year.

Nov 21, 2017
Sony open studio new studio in Europe (Manchester Studio) and probably new studio in America (Quentin Cobb).
Oh, and PixelOpus.
I wonder if they open new studio in Japan/Asia. What do you think?

I been saying Sony should think about opening 1 or 2 studios in Asia or at least a studio similar to Japan Studio but in China. Canada is another country Sony should open a studio in.

Last edited:

Penny Royal

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
QLD, Australia

XTq7EhC.jpg

Or just make the DS5 MFI certified and just let people stream using their existing device + an app, which completely removes the risk of designing, manufacturing & distributing a piece of hardware.

Jan 3, 2019

XTq7EhC.jpg

I played almost the entirety of Dark Souls 3 on a Vita, 700km away from home. Good times.

Dec 9, 2018
New Jersey
I do wonder if Sony will strive to maintain their current pace of 2 (arguably 3) blockbuster AAA experiences a year with a slew of other titles mixed in, or if they'll aim to increase the amount to 3 to 4 blockbusters a year.
I'm sure they would. Remember, their first-party output includes projects developed by non-Sony developers like Insomniac and Supermassive. Sony likely plans out games two or three years in advance to ensure a consistent release output. It's also pretty clear they like to avoid third-party onslaught like they did with Days Gone.

I don't think they'd be worried with Microsoft's increased first-party support considering they're not even much of a competitor in the future. Microsoft wants to be Netflix in gaming so they'll take on Google and Amazon and the countless other companies. That being said, Sony's more content with releasing games that are of the highest quality. Layden said it himself earlier this year. They're at a point where they are releasing fewer but more ambitious and, quite frankly, more marketable games. These big cinematic games are something Sony excels at at the moment, so might as well keep producing that.

With that in mind, as games get more ambitious they obviously take more resources and time to develop. As a result we're seeing them expand most if not all of their studios and bolstering assistance resources like San Mateo to accomodate for the higher demands of these projects. That strategy could suggest more PlayStation games or bigger ones. It's ultimately up to the studios. Guerrilla is far bigger than in 2017, so they'll operate as a double-teamed dev. We don't know if the same is happening to the rest but many of WWS have recently or are in the midst of moving to new offices to support larger teams to produce larger games or multiple smaller games.

TitlePending

The Fallen
Dec 26, 2018

XTq7EhC.jpg

Playing a Sony PS4 title, on an Apple iPad, using an Xbox controller.

What a time to be alive!

Oct 25, 2017

Femto0

Banned
Apr 28, 2018
It is more likely that i win the lottery than Sony buys take two.....and I don't even play lottery

nolifebr

Banned
Sep 1, 2018
Curitiba/BR
It fits into that story that Sony wants more exclusive IPs to create more content and become a media company (Like Netflix and Amazon). But I do not know if they would have the money to make a purchase of this size.

Screen Looker

Nov 17, 2018
It's not happening, I don't even know why it's a rumor in the first place.
I need that next gen Bioshock though.

I mean, it's pretty easy to know that they must have put in the offer and it leaked to Wedbush they did.

Game industry isn't the only folks with leaks lol

It fits into that story that Sony wants more exclusive IPs to create more content and become a media company (Like Netflix and Amazon). But I do not know if they would have the money to make a purchase of this size.

Any purchase of this size would come with a mix of cash and stock for the shareholders. It's not like they're buying them outright with total cash.

In many cases, the team getting bought would hash out what they thought was the best short and long term value proposition for them in that mix.

Edit: I should say, I don't really think this is happening or would be agreed to, but it is interesting this is even floating as a rumor

poklane

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
Even if Sony wanted to acquire a fuckton of studios I don't see why you'd go after a big fish. Maybe my calculations are wrong but as of the moment of me typing this comment Take Two has a market cap of $10,69B at $94,50 a share. Sony reportedly wants to buy Take Two at $130 a share, which would put the price at $14,7B? Just think about the insane amount of independent studios you can acquire or start from scratch for that kind of money. You could buy Insomniac, Quantic Dream, Blue Point, From Software for a fraction of that amount.
Also, such a huge acquisition wouldn't only be expensive because of the initial cost of closing the acquisition, you'd be adding thousands of employees to your paycheck overnight.

Mugen X

Oct 27, 2017
Colorado
Even if Sony wanted to acquire a fuckton of studios I don't see why you'd go after a big fish. Maybe my calculations are wrong but as of the moment of me typing this comment Take Two has a market cap of $10,69B at $94,50 a share. Sony reportedly wants to buy Take Two at $130 a share, which would put the price at $14,7B? Just think about the insane amount of independent studios you can acquire or start from scratch for that kind of money. You could buy Insomniac, Quantic Dream, Blue Point, From Software for a fraction of that amount.
Also, such a huge acquisition wouldn't only be expensive because of the initial cost of closing the acquisition, you'd be adding thousands of employees to your paycheck overnight.

With the exception of from software none of those studios are take two imo. They'd have one hell of a first party studio lineup if they were to acquire them. Imagine ND, TT, GG, SP, SMS, and MM all developing games exclusively for PS5.

Status
Not open for further replies.