• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

orochi91

Oct 26, 2017
Canada
Even if Sony wanted to acquire a fuckton of studios I don't see why you'd go after a big fish. Maybe my calculations are wrong but as of the moment of me typing this comment Take Two has a market cap of $10,69B at $94,50 a share. Sony reportedly wants to buy Take Two at $130 a share, which would put the price at $14,7B? Just think about the insane amount of independent studios you can acquire or start from scratch for that kind of money. You could buy Insomniac, Quantic Dream, Blue Point, From Software for a fraction of that amount.
Also, such a huge acquisition wouldn't only be expensive because of the initial cost of closing the acquisition, you'd be adding thousands of employees to your paycheck overnight.
+1

It literally makes no sense.

And consider the number of employees needed to maintain/develop behemoth titles like GTA and RDR.

Those titles are gonna siphon so much resources from WWS.

Last edited:

Femto0

Banned
Apr 28, 2018
Even if Sony wanted to acquire a fuckton of studios I don't see why you'd go after a big fish. Maybe my calculations are wrong but as of the moment of me typing this comment Take Two has a market cap of $10,69B at $94,50 a share. Sony reportedly wants to buy Take Two at $130 a share, which would put the price at $14,7B? Just think about the insane amount of independent studios you can acquire or start from scratch for that kind of money. You could buy Insomniac, Quantic Dream, Blue Point, From Software for a fraction of that amount.
Also, such a huge acquisition wouldn't only be expensive because of the initial cost of closing the acquisition, you'd be adding thousands of employees to your paycheck overnight.
All the studios you mentioned haven't a massive ip like gta. If Sony wants take two is more for the IPs than the developper

Funky_Monkey

Oct 31, 2017
+1

It literally makes no sense.

And consider the number em employees needed to maintain/develop behemoth titles like GTA and RDR.

Those titles are gonna siphon so much resources from WWS.

The only slightest of possible sense it makes is that you would have the entire take two catalog of games to add to your streaming service. But this is not going to happen,

poklane

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
All the studios you mentioned haven't a massive ip like gta. If Sony wants take two is more for the IPs than the developper
True that, but GTA would also become a lot smaller if locked to a single platform (still fucking huge though).
But at the end of the day if this rumor is true I'm sure Sony has ran the numbers to see if it's worth it or not.

Dabi3

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Man if that 2K rumor is true, Sony would have NBA 2K and MLB The Show as well as a couple of billion dollar IPs in GTA and Red Dead.

Their multiplayer needs would be solved in one swoop.

Sprinkle in Bioshock and the other IPs.... wow

-PyramidSong

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Argentina
I don't think anyone here could be able to process this
I think that would be something that goes far beyond ERA. The industry as a whole would not know how to process an acquisition of this size, with some of the biggest and most popular franchises being included.

People got upset over Ninja Theory. I can not even imagine what would happen if the rumor was true.
On a sidenote, I was not aware ERA has so many financial experts.

Its June. Phil Spencer its ready to start MS E3. At the same time Sony just upload 10 sec vid on youtube confirming the rumors. Boom. There you have it. Sony won again.

nolifebr

Banned
Sep 1, 2018
Curitiba/BR
I have a question, whether it is real or not, Sony really needs a acquisition like this one? Acquiring an Insomniac or Bluepoint would make sense because there would be only two or three new studios. But Take Two would bring more than 10 new studios under the WWS umbrela. Would they have the money to keep it all? Or maybe they kept those studios multiplatform?

orochi91

Oct 26, 2017
Canada
Benji and Zhuge basically squashed the rumour.

We can all breathe a sigh of relief now.

Focus on expanding Japan Studio, Sony~~~

Oct 27, 2017
I have a question, whether it is real or not, Sony really needs a acquisition like this one? Acquiring an Insomniac or Bluepoint would make sense because there would be only two or three new studios. But Take Two would bring more than 10 new studios under the WWS umbrela. Would they have the money to keep it all? Or maybe they kept those studios multiplatform?

They would be crazy if they acquired T2 and made the games exclusive, they would lose so much revenue.

poklane

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
Real and only answer to the bolded: ¯\_(ツ)_/¯. That's definitely an option: buy Take-Two, but have them operate separately from SIE, although SIE would obviously get some bonuses (exclusive content, game appearing some day appearing on now but not XGP and other competing services).

They would be crazy if they acquired T2 and made the games exclusive, they would lose so much revenue.
True, they'd lose tens of millions of sold copies.
But on the other hand, it would also make them additional money. Games like GTA, Red Dead, NBA 2K etc. would no doubt still be profitable even if locked to a single platform. Also, just imagine the amount of people who'd buy a PlayStation console just to play those games. Sure, that initial purchase of the console would make Sony barely any money (if any at all), but those people would go on to buy PlayStation subscriptions (Plus and Now), they'd go on to buy their games on PlayStation (every piece of software sold brings in money for Sony) and they'd buy accessories like controllers, headsets etc. It would also make the rest of Sony's line-up more profitable as more people would own PlayStation consoles and thus be exposed to other Sony published games such as Horizon, Uncharted, God of War, The Last of Us etc.

B.O.O.M.

Oct 25, 2017
Benji and Zhuge basically squashed the rumour.

We can all breathe a sigh of relief now.

Focus on expanding Japan Studio, Sony~~~

Now, personally do I believe this rumor? No. This is such an immense investment that while I see the strategic reasoning for it, it's still too hard for me to believe it.

But also, would Benji or any other insider we have here have access to information such as this? I really doubt that as well.

asheliaX

Feb 3, 2018
The Seychelles
Small games like GTA, Red Dead, Nba 2k, Bioshock etc.. ^^

On a side note, I'd rather Sony acquired Insomniac Games
Yeah, Insomniac is the one the makes the most sense, but I feel like Insomniac already gets the first-party treatment and their best work is on properties that Sony owns. No real need to acquire them unless there's a real chance of someone else swooping in.

Go after Bluepoint in the West and build them into something truly special. And go after Level-5 in the East and get them proper scenario writers and their games could fill what is a real hole in Sony's catalog. That's the route I'd go.

Oct 27, 2017
True, they'd lose tens of millions of sold copies.
But on the other hand, it would also make them additional money. Games like GTA, Red Dead, NBA 2K etc. would no doubt still be profitable even if locked to a single platform. Also, just imagine the amount of people who'd buy a PlayStation console just to play those games. Sure, that initial purchase of the console would make Sony barely any money (if any at all), but those people would go on to buy PlayStation subscriptions (Plus and Now), they'd go on to buy their games on PlayStation (every piece of software sold brings in money for Sony) and they'd buy accessories like controllers, headsets etc. It would also make the rest of Sony's line-up more profitable as more people would own PlayStation consoles and thus be exposed to other Sony published games such as Horizon, Uncharted, God of War, The Last of Us etc.

When you're right you're right. It's a good point.

Oct 27, 2017

There's a whole laundry list of developers I'd go after ahead of a major publisher like this, for probably a tenth of the cost. Insomniac, Quantic Dream, Frozenbyte, Arrowhead, Fatshark, Three Fields Entertainment, Splash Damage, Human Head, and so on.

Obviously you're not getting a guaranteed smash hit like GTA, but they've got a few open world smash hits under their belt and they're not shy about trying new IPs. Why not throw £100 million at London Studio, grow the team to 300-400 and reboot The Getaway? It's a lot more efficient than spending $15 billion to buy GTA.

GTA
Red Dead Redemption

Bioshock
Borderlands
Mafia

and many many more...

Outside of GTA, RDR and Bioshock I don't really think they have much worth. I know those first two are enormous franchises and getting them exclusive would be enough to 'win' next gen for Sony, but I think it's a huge cost for not much in return. I mean, if Sony wanted to keep them independent that would make more sense I guess, but if they were acquiring all of T2 to integrate into WWS then a huge number of people would be let go.

Personally I think if they're open to spending this kind of money there are other publishers who would be better value for money. I think Capcom would be a good buy, as would Square Enix and maybe THQ Nordic. Heck, they could probably buy CD Projekt for a quarter as much money. And I wonder what Ubisoft's value is, who have a lot more successful brands than most other major publishers.

Jenea

Banned
Mar 14, 2018
Buying Take2 would be a disaster for gamers. Imagine how many studious and how many exclusives you can make with that money.
Multiplatform Gta + Tooooooooooooooons of exclusives >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Exclusive GTA.

Either way, that rumour is fake so nothing to worry about.

TheRealTalker

Oct 25, 2017
I don't believe it

and even if it was true maybe strategically it is sound but being a man with different tastes I would've chosen SQUARE and CAPCOM if there was no other choice but using such money for acquisitions

nevertheless the reactions are always just great and amusing fake or true

Status
Not open for further replies.