• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SDR-UK

Oct 27, 2017
GTA6 gonna be on Decima Engine.

Sony starting their own sports divisions; NBA and MLB on lock. NFL 2K being revived. WWE games gonna turn into the next PSASBR.

BioShock and Borderlands come back in a big way, I'm talking third-person over the shoulder cinematic games with hours of cutscenes.

Max Payne gonna be back too, exclusive contract with Remedy for a reboot of the series.

Battleborn is staying dead.

Penny Royal

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
QLD, Australia
People are missing a detail here.

T2 aren't a studio, they're a publisher too.

Buying T2 would be a road into multiplat publishing for Sony.

They wouldn't spend that much money on a publisher and make everything they do exclusive as they'd never see a return on it.

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
People are missing a detail here.

T2 aren't a studio, they're a publisher too.

Buying T2 would be a road into multiplat publishing for Sony.

They wouldn't spend that much money on a publisher and make everything they do exclusive as they'd never see a return on it.

Yeah, neither would Microsoft if they bought T2.

I think if this turns out to be true, it's just Sony trying to make sure Google or Amazon don't snap up T2 and make the games exclusive to their respective streaming platforms.

Iwao

Oct 25, 2017
Sticking with Death Stranding for September or October 2019. Ghost of Tsushima February 2020 and TLOUP2 June 2020 after E3.
Okay, but Naughty Dog have been hiring QA/localisation and temporary staff like crazy since last year to "finish the game". I wouldn't be surprised if it released this year. I'm still of the belief that Sony is gearing up to launch the PS5 in early 2020, so launching TLoU Part II after then doesn't make sense to me.

daniel77733

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Okay, but Naughty Dog have been hiring QA/localisation and temporary staff like crazy since last year to "finish the game". I wouldn't be surprised if it released this year. I'm still of the belief that Sony is gearing up to launch the PS5 in early 2020, so launching TLoU Part II after then doesn't make sense to me.

True but I don't see PlayStation 5 being released until November 2020.

Iwao

Oct 25, 2017
I still don't know how people find any indications that even one of those comes out in 2019.
Ghost of Tsushima in 2019 is crazy. The other 2? Not so much.

Both are being localised since last year. Death Standing gameplay elements have been finished for a long time, the English recording has been done since the end of last year, they hired a new marketing guy and have shown the first 2 hours to Guerrilla Games, and non-industry people are being shown the game only to come out super impressed. Naughty Dog are full steam ahead, they're an incredibly fast and efficient studio and have been hiring temporary staff since last year to get the game done. I'm sure that internally, this would mean that they are aiming for 2019.

True but I don't see PlayStation 5 being released until November 2020.
It could go either way tbh, but I think the game is in a very advanced state and don't think ND would sit on their game for 6 months longer than necessary.

daniel77733

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It could go either way tbh, but I think the game is in a very advanced state and don't think ND would sit on their game for 6 months longer than necessary.

I believe November 2020 is 100%. If anything, Microsoft needs to release sooner rather than later, not Sony. As for Naughty Dog sitting on the game, it's not up to them and if the Fall is packed like it usually is, why would Sony release it when it could be released a few days/weeks after E3 2020 and Sony uses that for momentum with PlayStation 5. Think about it - TLOUP2 releases to what is almost guaranteed to be a critically acclaimed masterpiece that rivals the first game and maybe surpasses it, gets excellent review scores as a result and after seeing what PS5 will be at E3 2020, what a way to end PS4. Arguably, the best game of the generation for the second time ends their exclusives for the console as they head towards the PS5 release.

I personally believe that there's a far better chance of Death Stranding, Ghost of Tsushima and TLOUP2 all being 2020 titles than there is of TLOUP2 releasing this year. Simply, I just don't think that it will happen. But we'll see.

Screen Looker

Nov 17, 2018
I have a question, whether it is real or not, Sony really needs a acquisition like this one? Acquiring an Insomniac or Bluepoint would make sense because there would be only two or three new studios. But Take Two would bring more than 10 new studios under the WWS umbrela. Would they have the money to keep it all? Or maybe they kept those studios multiplatform?

I don't think they need it. They're working on incubating their own high hits.

I'm on record as acquisitions are usually not worth it, but I think you'd be hard pressed to find anyone thinking this wouldn't work out in the long run.

Andrew-Ryan

Banned
Dec 4, 2018
I personally believe that there's a far better chance of Death Stranding, Ghost of Tsushima and TLOUP2 all being 2020 titles than there is of TLOUP2 releasing this year. Simply, I just don't think that it will happen. But we'll see.
I can see the argument for saying TLoU2 might be a 2020 game. But to say it's more likely that Sony will release all 3 in 2020 than TLoU2 coming out in 2019? Naaaah. Sony releasing all 3 in 2020 is basically 0% or very close to it. No way is it that unlikely that TLoU2 is coming out in 2019.

daniel77733

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I can see the argument for saying TLoU2 might be a 2020 game. But to say it's more likely that Sony will release all 3 in 2020 than TLoU2 coming out in 2019? Naaaah. Sony releasing all 3 in 2020 is basically 0% or very close to it. No way is it that unlikely that TLoU2 is coming out in 2019.

It's obviously not a factual statement, just my personal belief. I just don't see it happening.

Andrew-Ryan

Banned
Dec 4, 2018
It's obviously not a factual statement, just my personal belief. I just don't see it happening.
Yeah I know it's your opinion mate. I just don't think it's reasonable to think the chances are that low, basically impossible. All the little pieces of information we have point to it at least being someone what likely, not nailed on by any means, but it's certainly within the realms of possibility.

SolidSnakex

Oct 25, 2017
Why not? I dont fucking care if they give me 10/10 game within existing ip or not

Because it seems like a waste to have them work on someone elses IP instead of making one of their own. We only get ND games every three or so years, so i'd prefer that wait to be for something that's entirely their own idea.

Deleted member 36493

User requested account closure
Dec 19, 2017
I believe November 2020 is 100%. If anything, Microsoft needs to release sooner rather than later, not Sony. As for Naughty Dog sitting on the game, it's not up to them and if the Fall is packed like it usually is, why would Sony release it when it could be released a few days/weeks after E3 2020 and Sony uses that for momentum with PlayStation 5. Think about it - TLOUP2 releases to what is almost guaranteed to be a critically acclaimed masterpiece that rivals the first game and maybe surpasses it, gets excellent review scores as a result and after seeing what PS5 will be at E3 2020, what a way to end PS4. Arguably, the best game of the generation for the second time ends their exclusives for the console as they head towards the PS5 release.

You bring up a good point. TLOU definitely had a part to play in PS4's early success. After playing a masterpiece, nobody wanted to miss out on the next ND game.

daniel77733

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah I know it's your opinion mate. I just don't think it's reasonable to think the chances are that low, basically impossible. All the little pieces of information we have point to it at least being someone what likely, not nailed on by any means, but it's certainly within the realms of possibility.

We'll just have to wait and see how it all plays out.

Iwao

Oct 25, 2017

We've heard that PS5 was initially supposed to be launching in 2019, but was delayed due to software not being at a mature level. I don't think they need another full year to get software to a point that is acceptable for a console launch. Naughty Dog games have done work in the Fall, they sell. Sony hasn't done that for a while because of what happens to be circumstantial. TLoU Part II launching in the Fall is as capable as launching the following Summer. What you said about it releasing to critical acclaim and being a good setup for PS5, can apply to a situation where the game launches this November and PS5 comes out in March 2020. It's the same amount of time. I understand that everyone wants their favourite games to be the best they can, but as I said, what is actually going on with Naughty Dog adds more weight to it releasing this year than next. We'll see.

Sonicfan059

Mar 4, 2018
The Take Two rumor is just as stupid as Microsoft buying EA rumor. There were actually people who actually believed it and were like "bu bu they have the cash!" Lol Sony already has a ton of IPs they don't even have the manpower to make sequels to dating back to PS1 acquisitions, I don't think they'd buy a ton more IP to pile on top of it.

Expanding current studios with great talent and building new ones like they have been doing is best imo. If they buy another studio it should be a smaller talented one.

daniel77733

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
We've heard that PS5 was initially supposed to be launching in 2019, but was delayed due to software not being at a mature level. I don't think they need another full year to get software to a point that is acceptable for a console launch. Naughty Dog games have done work in the Fall, they sell. Sony hasn't done that for a while because of what happens to be circumstantial. TLoU Part II launching in the Fall is as capable as launching the following Summer. What you said about it releasing to critical acclaim and being a good setup for PS5, can apply to a situation where the game launches this November and PS5 comes out in March 2020. It's the same amount of time. I understand that everyone wants their favourite games to be the best they can, but as I said, what is actually going on with Naughty Dog adds more weight to it releasing this year than next. We'll see.

I never believed the rumor of PlayStation 5 being late 2019 because it never made any sense and once Sony pulled out of E3 2019, it was to setup 2020 and take their time. They have four major top tier AAA exclusives that need to be released and just no reason to rush PS5 out to market when PS4 is dominating and still selling at $300. I absolutely think that need another full year to get their software ready. What would be ready for March 2020 if that actually happened? Ratchet & Clank 2 maybe and a Knack 3? LMAO. That would be a disaster. Every studio either just released a game within the last two years or will release one within the next year. Also, third party wise, March 2020 will be nowhere near what Fall 2020 will be. Fall 2020 will have the annual COD, Battlefield 6 if they stay on their two year cycle, Assassin's Creed 2020 and Cyberpunk 2077. Nothing in early 2020 is going to match that let alone surpass it.

Yeah, TLOUP2 this October lines up with a March 2020 PS5 release but what if Sony doesn't plan to hold PSX again this year? Personally, im not expecting another show from Sony until 2020 outside of TGS. I'm not expecting them at Gamescom, Paris Games Week or PSX. Maybe they have someplayable demos or a booth but in terms of holding a showcase, nope. Don't see it at all simply because they won't have enough to show.

I'm hoping for Fall 2020 because I want Ryzen 7 and the console to be $500. 8TF. Native 4K. 16GB RAM and 1 TB SSD. The longer the wait, the better the chances of this happening. And outside of what im hoping for, I just don't see Sony rushing/zooming to market because they literally have no reason to. Sony could literally hibernate for the next 18 months and it wouldn't affect anything. Gen is won, it's over and has been for years.

Now, it's just time to cruise, relax and prepare for PS5 which I don't see until Fall 2020. Plus, releasing six months or more earlier means that you would also be waiting an additional six months or more for the next major top tier AAA exclusive.

November 2020. Full Backwards Compatibility for PS4. Launch day patches for pretty much all of their exclusives which by then would probably be $20 and part of their greatest hits lineup. You add those games and the feature of PS4 BC along with a few new launch day exclusives which I see being Ratchet & Clank 2, Bloodborne 2 from Japan Studio, a new Killzone game from the second team at Guerrilla led by the guy from Rainbow Six Siege (im always forgetting his name) and possibly a new Uncharted game from the San Diego Studio.

Add in third party games that I mentioned earlier and just like that, their launch lineup is stacked. Even if you don't like the new exclusives or any combination of them, you still have the ability to replace masterpieces like Horizon or God of War in Native 4K and more visuals effects and possibly a locked 60 FPS.

I simply see November 2020 as the perfect date unless they want to go September 2020 to lineup with their 25th Anniversary in NA. But as much as I would love this as a fan, I prefer to see them take the extra two months and get everything set for launch which is what I believe they will do anyway. Sony is in the driver's seat and they simply don't need to rush out PS5 in March 2020 especially when Microsoft would just wait six months and release a more powerful console at the same price because I do see Microsoft taking a loss if necessary in order to make an impact.

Releasing PS5 in March 2020 would just backfire and do more harm than good. Here's another reason why they shouldn't do that. Small PS5 reveal in February 2020 and full blowout at E3 2020. With Sony being after Microsoft at E3 in terms of when the showcase is held, Sony can looks and see what Microsoft does and if needed, make some last second adjustments.

If it's me - I would always go last because as the dominant one for 25 years, I don't need to do shit. My history and legacy speaks for itself. My thinking would be in regards to Microsoft - let's see what you got because you're going to need a lot. LOL.

Again, just my personal opinion and what I believe Sony will do. And in some cases, should do.

With all of that said, first things first - DAYS GONE!!! :)

Sonicfan059

Mar 4, 2018
I never believed the rumor of PlayStation 5 being late 2019 because it never made any sense and once Sony pulled out of E3 2019, it was to setup 2020 and take their time. They have four major top tier AAA exclusives that need to be released and just no reason to rush PS5 out to market when PS4 is dominating and still selling at $300. I absolutely think that need another full year to get their software ready. What would be ready for March 2020 if that actually happened? Ratchet & Clank 2 maybe and a Knack 3? LMAO. That would be a disaster. Every studio either just released a game within the last two years or will release one within the next year. Also, third party wise, March 2020 will be nowhere near what Fall 2020 will be. Fall 2020 will have the annual COD, Battlefield 6 if they stay on their two year cycle, Assassin's Creed 2020 and Cyberpunk 2077. Nothing in early 2020 is going to match that let alone surpass it.

Yeah, TLOUP2 this October lines up with a March 2020 PS5 release but what if Sony doesn't plan to hold PSX again this year? Personally, im not expecting another show from Sony until 2020 outside of TGS. I'm not expecting them at Gamescom, Paris Games Week or PSX. Maybe they have someplayable demos or a booth but in terms of holding a showcase, nope. Don't see it at all simply because they won't have enough to show.

I'm hoping for Fall 2020 because I want Ryzen 7 and the console to be $500. 8TF. Native 4K. 16GB RAM and 1 TB SSD. The longer the wait, the better the chances of this happening. And outside of what im hoping for, I just don't see Sony rushing/zooming to market because they literally have no reason to. Sony could literally hibernate for the next 18 months and it wouldn't affect anything. Gen is won, it's over and has been for years.

Now, it's just time to cruise, relax and prepare for PS5 which I don't see until Fall 2020. Plus, releasing six months or more earlier means that you would also be waiting an additional six months or more for the next major top tier AAA exclusive.

November 2020. Full Backwards Compatibility for PS4. Launch day patches for pretty much all of their exclusives which by then would probably be $20 and part of their greatest hits lineup. You add those games and the feature of PS4 BC along with a few new launch day exclusives which I see being Ratchet & Clank 2, Bloodborne 2 from Japan Studio, a new Killzone game from the second team at Guerrilla led by the guy from Rainbow Six Siege (im always forgetting his name) and possibly a new Uncharted game from the San Diego Studio.

Add in third party games that I mentioned earlier and just like that, their launch lineup is stacked. Even if you don't like the new exclusives or any combination of them, you still have the ability to replace masterpieces like Horizon or God of War in Native 4K and more visuals effects and possibly a locked 60 FPS.

I simply see November 2020 as the perfect date unless they want to go September 2020 to lineup with their 25th Anniversary in NA. But as much as I would love this as a fan, I prefer to see them take the extra two months and get everything set for launch which is what I believe they will do anyway. Sony is in the driver's seat and they simply don't need to rush out PS5 in March 2020 especially when Microsoft would just wait six months and release a more powerful console at the same price because I do see Microsoft taking a loss if necessary in order to make an impact.

Releasing PS5 in March 2020 would just backfire and do more harm than good. Here's another reason why they shouldn't do that. Small PS5 reveal in February 2020 and full blowout at E3 2020. With Sony being after Microsoft at E3 in terms of when the showcase is held, Sony can looks and see what Microsoft does and if needed, make some last second adjustments.

If it's me - I would always go last because as the dominant one for 25 years, I don't need to do shit. My history and legacy speaks for itself. My thinking would be in regards to Microsoft - let's see what you got because you're going to need a lot. LOL.

Again, just my personal opinion and what I believe Sony will do. And in some cases, should do.

With all of that said, first things first - DAYS GONE!!! :)
I don't believe for a second that rumor that PS5 didn't have enough software so they had to delay it. They KNOW when they plan to launch. If they were planning on 2019 they would plan around that and have internal devs working on it beforehand. We already know 3rd parties have dev kits and 1st party had them longer. It reminds me how before PS4 they patented DRM and ads pretty much same that Microsoft did but they used that to throw people off the scent.

poklane

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
Can someone link me to the birth of this THQ rumor?
You mean the Take Two rumor?
https://www.marketwatch.com/story/s...er-pressure-amid-boeing-737-8-woes-2019-03-13
Original piece (since been edited):
Take-Two Interactive Software TTWO, +5.30% stock climbed 4.7% on rumors that Sony Corp. SNE, +0.93% "is in advanced board level discussions to acquire Take-Two Interactive in a mostly cash deal," that would value the company at $130 share, according to Joel Kulina, head of technology and media trading at Wedbush Securities.
Here's the thread https://www.resetera.com/threads/ru...y-could-buy-take-two-see-update-in-op.105143/
Take Two's stock jumped almost 7% because of it.

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
There's no chance this happens. And tbh I'm not really interested in any of T2's games anyways, though it would obviously be a massive industry event.

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, Sony buying t2 would suck.

All your doing is essentially going "ok, now you guys don't get to play the game."

Like, us ps4 users gain nothing.

Take that 100billion or whatever, and yeah, put it towards your own studios.

Then again....

You think Sony would make back that money eventually? Like, gta6 will be massive obviously.

T2 is a pretty safe purchase.

Hope it doesn't happen though personally. The same way I hope ms doesn't buy ea. Nothing of value is really gained.

Kyoufu

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah, Sony buying t2 would suck.

All your doing is essentially going "ok, now you guys don't get to play the game."

Like, us ps4 users gain nothing.

Take that 100billion or whatever, and yeah, put it towards your own studios.

Then again....

You think Sony would make back that money eventually? Like, gta6 will be massive obviously.

T2 is a pretty safe purchase.

Hope it doesn't happen though personally. The same way I hope ms doesn't buy ea. Nothing of value is really gained.

You're assuming they would be exclusive. There's no reason to think they would be exclusive. Look at Minecraft.

Mugen X

Oct 27, 2017
Colorado
You're assuming they would be exclusive. There's no reason to think they would be exclusive. Look at Minecraft.
Ya it'd be a strange situation for sure, on one hand they could force ppl to buy their consoles with exclusives like GTA, Red Dead, and NBA 2K, but also they could continue generating a shit ton of money if they left it on all platforms. Still with an acquisition that big it'd be foolish to think a few games wouldn't be PS exclusive.

MotiD

Oct 26, 2017
Publishers will start getting bought at some point. There's already tons of Chinese money involved, and with Google getting serious and the possible reactions from Amazon, Apple and Microsoft.. the next few years are going to be wild. You can't predict what Google or Apple will do because they're very different companies coming with a different mindset into this industry and they are freaking ginormous.
If you think some of this won't end up with people losing access to games they always got to play, you have more faith than I do.

TazKa

Oct 27, 2017
Ya it'd be a strange situation for sure, on one hand they could force ppl to buy their consoles with exclusives like GTA, Red Dead, and NBA 2K, but also they could continue generating a shit ton of money if they left it on all platforms. Still with an acquisition that big it'd be foolish to think a few games wouldn't be PS exclusive.

Maybe 12 months exclusivity on PS and then release on all other plattforms, but that could backfire with examples like Rise of the Tomb Raider this gen.

Until I see it, I will not believe the Take Two rumour.

Sonicfan059

Mar 4, 2018
Publishers will start getting bought at some point. There's already tons of Chinese money involved, and with Google getting serious and the possible reactions from Amazon, Apple and Microsoft.. the next few years are going to be wild. You can't predict what Google or Apple will do because they're very different companies coming with a different mindset into this industry and they are freaking ginormous.
If you think some of this won't end up with people losing access to games they always got to play, you have more faith than I do.
Well... Microsoft was huge in 2001 and still is huge. It's up there in size with the other companies yet they didn't buy EA or Activision when they entered the market. I think people are overestimating these companies. I don't think the investors would allow them to funnel 10s of billions into making games exclusive just to be #1.

Donthizz

Oct 26, 2017
no bloodborne 2 or demons souls's 2 but willing to pay billions for take - two. I'm watching you Sony
giphy.gif

MotiD

Oct 26, 2017
Well... Microsoft was huge in 2001 and still is huge. It's up there in size with the other companies yet they didn't buy EA or Activision when they entered the market. I think people are overestimating these companies. I don't think the investors would allow them to funnel 10s of billions into making games exclusive just to be #1.
Microsoft did try to buy Nintendo. There'a been multiple reports of them eyeing EA. And the market conditions are different right now than they were back then.
Microsoft entered the console market and followed the standard model at the time.
Google is entering the market in 2019 and is trying to pull in a very different direction. It remains to be seen, but it's very unlikely they'll be buying individual studious. And there's nothing stopping Microsoft from getting in on the fun.

Nov 21, 2017
Microsoft did try to buy Nintendo. There'a been multiple reports of them eyeing EA. And the market conditions are different right now than they were back then.
Microsoft entered the console market and followed the standard model at the time.
Google is entering the market in 2019 and is trying to pull in a very different direction. It remains to be seen, but it's very unlikely they'll be buying individual studious. And there's nothing stopping Microsoft from getting in on the fun.

Yup also the entertainment industry in general from Music, Movies, Television, and Games are all moving into services. In order for the services to stand out, content is key hence over the last few years you been seeing in the entertainment industry mega acquisitions like Disney acquiring 20th Century Fox, AT&T acquiring Warner, and Sony acquiring EMI are just a few examples. It's only a matter of time before it happens in the Gaming industry. I wouldn't be shocked if in the next 5 years a major gaming publisher or two gets acquired by big corporations like a Sony, Microsoft, Google, Apple, or Amazon.

Status
Not open for further replies.