• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jenea

Banned
Mar 14, 2018
My uncle works at Sony. He said they intend to buy Take Two, release Agent and then sell Take Two.
Of course it's Top Secret, so don't expect any confirmation.

z285714

Sep 9, 2018
Sony spent 5b dollars acquiring Columbia in 1989.Everything can happen.We can't predict the future.

Angie

Best Avatar Thread Ever!
Nov 20, 2017
Kingdom of Corona

Modest_Modsoul

Living the Dreams
Oct 29, 2017
Looks like I'm missing the fun in that thread... : (

But all the rumors of acquiring something, why can't it be a JRPG studio/developers...

Even though it's just rumors, it ought to make me happy for a moment. ._.

Femto0

Banned
Apr 28, 2018
Expect some big moves from everyone soon or later,the streaming services are the future and you need a costant support so a publisher buyout isn't some crazy thing.....

Sidewinder

Oct 25, 2017
Expect some big moves from everyone soon or later,the streaming services are the future and you need a costant support so a publisher buyout isn't some crazy thing.....

Yeah, with Amazon, Google, MS and Sony moving in that direction, nothing is out of the question, but Take Two would've been too big of a fish for Sony...CDPR though ;)

But damn would it suck for instance only being able to play GTAVI on the MS streaming service, AssCreed X on GooglyMoogly and Cyberpunk 2088 on PSNow...

OG_Thrills

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You mean the Take Two rumor?
https://www.marketwatch.com/story/s...er-pressure-amid-boeing-737-8-woes-2019-03-13
Original piece (since been edited):

Here's the thread https://www.resetera.com/threads/ru...y-could-buy-take-two-see-update-in-op.105143/
Take Two's stock jumped almost 7% because of it.

Appreciate the info. Sometimes you have to enter the era abyss if you don't have a reference point. For our next trick, Sony's next console has infinite TFLOPS which you can trade and upgrade on any android device.

My uncle who is friends with a CEO within the Sony Corp and posts frequently on 4chan.

Don't @ me!

gofreak

Oct 26, 2017
In light of debunked rumours like the Take Two one yesterday, it might make sense to look at where Sony is right now in terms of investments.

Sony is on an acquisitions footing at the moment.

Their new CEO had previously led Sony's strategic investments before he was CEO.

His mid term plan calls for a focus on strengthening content IP across the company. His first moves were the EMI acquisition, the Peanuts/Snoopy acquisition and a couple of smaller ones.

The mid term (3 year plan) suggests Sony avoid short term profitability, and invest excess cash flow, of 2 Trillion dollars to build a suite of recurring revenue streams. He has earmarked 1 Trillion quite firmly for capital expenditure in this period, primarily for image sensors, but most of the balance - perhaps 700+ billion yen? - for strategic investments (including the EMI deal). The focus of those investments will be on strengthening content IP and filling holes in technology IP. But given his focus in the strategy on Sony's position connecting users to content IP, I think the bulk of that would be channeled toward content acquisitions.

Ex the EMI deal, that leaves a few billion dollars of new cash in play for acquisitions over the next couple of years, assuming Sony meets their forecasts etc. They could leverage some of the existing cash they're sitting on and other instruments (e.g. stock or debt) in future acquisitions.

For the games business? It is, in the CEO's terms, their largest 'community of interest' connecting content IP to users. He says he wants to strengthen and grow their IP. I wouldn't be surprised to see Sony execute on acquisition activity in this transition phase to PS5, be it more mini acquisitions like Microsoft's recent ones, or the Audiokinetic one, or something a bit bigger. They could, realistically, spend up to and into maybe low single digit billions cash here, if gaming was to get a look-in commensurate with the business's importance to Sony. I'd use that range as an upper limit, when it comes to weighing up future rumours. Double digit billions like the Take Two rumour? That would be a stretch, and outside the scope of their mid term plan it seems. But yeah... do keep an eye on Sony and their cash activities. They are looking for opportunities, and I see little reason to thinking gaming wouldn't be in the mix.

Last edited:

Andrew-Ryan

Banned
Dec 4, 2018
Can anyone with any marketing insight/knowledge of comparable circumstances shed some light how early planning/marketing meetings like this take place before the actually marketing push starts?

Something like a month ago I saw a tweet from Aki (head of market at Koji Pro) with him and Kojima at Sony in the US and he was meeting with the guy from PS Blog and the white board behind them had something about marketing planning or something to that meaning.

But even more in the space of 3-4 days we've seen the following people fly over to Japan to directly meet Kojima/Aki:

David Bull: Global Brand Marketing at PlayStation. Led the marketing for Spider-Man
Jim Ryan: Incoming CEO and President of Playstation
Craig Gibb (?): National Account Manager at Sony Interactive Entertainment Europe. In charge of sales and marketing for AAA releases. (Not sure if it is this Gibb guy since all Kojima says is "Craig" and this is the only Craig I could find that works in marketing for Sony)
Asad Qizilbash: Vice President, Marketing Exclusive Games & World Wide Studios IP Expansion

You don't usually get the play by play commentary that Kojima lets to give with his social media from other developers so I'm not sure if these meetings are indicative of anything important or if this stuff happens regularly with other games all the time and we're just not aware of it. Just my guess but I don't think this many big marketing related people would be flying over to Japan to meet Kojima if something wasn't happening within the coming months.

Sonicfan059

Mar 4, 2018
Microsoft did try to buy Nintendo. There'a been multiple reports of them eyeing EA. And the market conditions are different right now than they were back then.
Microsoft entered the console market and followed the standard model at the time.
Google is entering the market in 2019 and is trying to pull in a very different direction. It remains to be seen, but it's very unlikely they'll be buying individual studious. And there's nothing stopping Microsoft from getting in on the fun.
Microsoft eying EA was as factual as this rumor. IE not at all.

In light of debunked rumours like the Take Two one yesterday, it might make sense to look at where Sony is right now in terms of investments.

Sony is on an acquisitions footing at the moment.

Their new CEO had previously led Sony's strategic investments before he was CEO.

His mid term plan calls for a focus on strengthening content IP across the company. His first moves were the EMI acquisition, the Peanuts/Snoopy acquisition and a couple of smaller ones.

The mid term (3 year plan) suggests Sony avoid short term profitability, and invest excess cash flow, of 2 Trillion dollars to build a suite of recurring revenue streams. He has earmarked 1 Trillion quite firmly for capital expenditure in this period, primarily for image sensors, but most of the balance - perhaps 700+ billion yen? - for strategic investments (including the EMI deal). The focus of those investments will be on strengthening content IP and filling holes in technology IP. But given his focus in the strategy on Sony's position connecting users to content IP, I think the bulk of that would be channeled toward content acquisitions.

Ex the EMI deal, that leaves a few billion dollars of new cash in play for acquisitions over the next couple of years, assuming Sony meets their forecasts etc. They could leverage some of the existing cash they're sitting on and other instruments (e.g. stock or debt) in future acquisitions.

For the games business? It is, in the CEO's terms, their largest 'community of interest' connecting content IP to users. He says he wants to strengthen and grow their IP. I wouldn't be surprised to see Sony execute on acquisition activity in this transition phase to PS5, be it more mini acquisitions like Microsoft's recent ones, or the Audiokinetic one, or something a bit bigger. They could, realistically, spend up to and into maybe low single digit billions cash here, if gaming was to get a look-in commensurate with the business's importance to Sony. I'd use that range as an upper limit, when it comes to weighing up future rumours. Double digit billions like the Take Two rumour? That would be a stretch, and outside the scope of their mid term plan it seems. But yeah... do keep an eye on Sony and their cash activities. They are looking for opportunities, and I see little reason to thinking gaming wouldn't be in the mix.
Yeah I could see them buying a few studios like locking KojiPro into their ecosystem. Not a huge publisher with multiple developers. With how eager they were to tell everyone that Bungie was aboard PS4 at launch I could even see a Bungie acquisition possibly. That's more of a stretch though.

Last edited:

Strafer

The Flagpole is Wider
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
Why doesnt brok and sindri get recognition, they are awesome too.

Hell, even the world serpent is great.

TheRealTalker

Oct 25, 2017
It is fine Sony you can use all 15 billion on an Ape Escape game. Every single cent.

You can merge the mainline Ape Escape, make it open world akin to Jak and Daxter but larger and more ambitious, then also have a tournament/mini features/modes and content by adding a sequel to pumped and primed in it too.

TheRaidenPT

Editor-in-Chief, Hyped Pixels
Verified
Jun 11, 2018
Lisbon, Portugal
Can anyone with any marketing insight/knowledge of comparable circumstances shed some light how early planning/marketing meetings like this take place before the actually marketing push starts?

Something like a month ago I saw a tweet from Aki (head of market at Koji Pro) with him and Kojima at Sony in the US and he was meeting with the guy from PS Blog and the white board behind them had something about marketing planning or something to that meaning.

But even more in the space of 3-4 days we've seen the following people fly over to Japan to directly meet Kojima/Aki:

David Bull: Global Brand Marketing at PlayStation. Led the marketing for Spider-Man
Jim Ryan: Incoming CEO and President of Playstation
Craig Gibb (?): National Account Manager at Sony Interactive Entertainment Europe. In charge of sales and marketing for AAA releases. (Not sure if it is this Gibb guy since all Kojima says is "Craig" and this is the only Craig I could find that works in marketing for Sony)
Asad Qizilbash: Vice President, Marketing Exclusive Games & World Wide Studios IP Expansion

You don't usually get the play by play commentary that Kojima lets to give with his social media from other developers so I'm not sure if these meetings are indicative of anything important or if this stuff happens regularly with other games all the time and we're just not aware of it. Just my guess but I don't think this many big marketing related people would be flying over to Japan to meet Kojima if something wasn't happening within the coming months.

There has been too many people visiting Kojima Productions, but I'm not sure if it's on purpose or if it's just simply because they are stopping by... I do find strange Craig and Asad Qizilbash to be there.. Asad only goes to studios when he goes for the marketing planning like he did with Days Gone.

Deleted member 864

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It is fine Sony you can use all 15 billion on an Ape Escape game. Every single cent.

You can merge the mainline Ape Escape, make it open world akin to Jak and Daxter but larger and more ambitious, then also have a tournament/mini features/modes and content by adding a sequel to pumped and primed in it too.
I miss Ape Escape. :/

Andrew-Ryan

Banned
Dec 4, 2018
There has been too many people visiting Kojima Productions, but I'm not sure if it's on purpose or if it's just simply because they are stopping by... I do find strange Craig and Asad Qizilbash to be there.. Asad only goes to studios when he goes for the marketing planning like he did with Days Gone.
Do you know when Asad stopped by Bend? Might give some indication of what the time frame usually is. I know he broke the news of a delay with a PS Blog post in October (?)

Cyberia

Nov 8, 2017
tOltCxT.png

Status
Not open for further replies.