• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Cyberia

Nov 8, 2017
xBgn0Nz.gif

Sonicfan059

Mar 4, 2018
She is just promoting the diversity of the studio. I don't see why that has to be taken as discrimination against others.

And yes, we're all human but some of us are at more of a disadvantage than others.
Is it really diversity if one group of people make up a majority of the studio? :D Haha I kid but I think promoting people individually is more beneficial. Have no problem with this though I'm sure they deserve their positions as hard working, talented individuals.

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
Compassionate discrimination. We're all human.

May I suggest stepping back to think about this before digging yourself into a deeper hole?

Hint: the gaming industry has historically been overwhelmingly dominated by men. Someone mentioning the fact that they've got a lot of diversity in their team is a good thing and should be celebrated. As opposed to your take on the matter.

Viceratops

Banned
Jun 29, 2018
She is just promoting the diversity of the studio. I don't see why that has to be taken as discrimination against others.

And yes, we're all human but some of us are at more of a disadvantage than others.
That doesn't even begin to make sense. Plus what DriftingSpirit said ^^^
we are

not sure about you though.
May I suggest stepping back to think about this before digging yourself into a deeper hole?

Hint: the gaming industry has historically been overwhelmingly dominated by men. Someone mentioning the fact that they've got a lot of diversity in their team is a good thing and should be celebrated. As opposed to your take on the matter.
He's being sarcastic. You guys are being taken for a ride.

Kyoufu

Oct 26, 2017
So, to change the subject, when do we expect the Playstation Direct to hit? Around E3 would be boring and unoriginal imo.

Going by what Shawn Layden said about them not having anything to show in June, it'll be sometime later in the year. Probably sometime from September - December would be my guess. Maybe they'll have one big PSX conference this time?

Rat King

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
Going by what Shawn Layden said about them not having anything to show in June, it'll be sometime later in the year. Probably sometime from September - December would be my guess. Maybe they'll have one big PSX conference this time?
Hmm, wouldn't that be too close to a hypothetical PS5 reveal event? They revealed the PS4 in February. Or maybe I'm clueless and we're going to have one PSX for the ages.

poklane

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
Hmm, wouldn't that be too close to a hypothetical PS5 reveal event? They revealed the PS4 in February. Or maybe I'm clueless and we're going to have one PSX for the ages.
PSX late in the year with a PS5 reveal teaser at the end (just show a quick compilation of PS5 games, like 2 secs a game) with a date at the end would be dope. Still would suck though if we have to go that long without some big info.

Chainshada

Oct 25, 2017
PSX late in the year with a PS5 reveal teaser at the end (just show a quick compilation of PS5 games, like 2 secs a game) with a date at the end would be dope. Still would suck though if we have to go that long without some big info.

PSX2019 should end with all the startup sounds in a row and finish with a couple of seconds of silence with the lights out and then the PS5 startup sound with the date of the reveal event.

Mario Bilo

trying to circumvent a ban with an alt account
Banned
Jan 7, 2018
They're never ever going to reveal a piece of PlayStation hardware outside of a PlayStation Meeting. I don't know why people keep thinking they would reveal it at other events.

fanboy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Slovakia

So they have finished their game and instead of letting temporary people go they are actually hiring? Sony is confident in the game's success and wants the studio to grow?

Shawn has publicly stated that around thr time of e3 they wont have anything to show (more like not enough). Them doing some show before e3 wouldnt give much sense. They already explained why they are not on e3 this year. No need to lie about nothing to show... if we dont get something until september, I am expecting just blog posts and then PSX.

Nightengale

Oct 26, 2017
Malaysia
I think the whole "Sony has nothing for E3" thing is being perceived too literally.

I mean, if Sony absolutely wanted to - they could've gone another year with Big Three (GoT/DS/TLOU2) and padded out the rest with third-party games. The read-in of why they're skipping E3 is due to the fact that they have nothing significant or interesting to make from a new reveal/announcement perspective, either due to genuine lack of stuff to announce this year - or that every other project is on PS5 and E3 isn't their timeline to reveal PS5 yet.

I definitely think that we'll see the next update for the Q4 2019/Q1 2020 games for any of the Big Three in a non-E3 related presentation, something that they could do without the pressure of "btw, here's also 2-3 new AAA game announcements that is expected at an E3 level show"

Sonicfan059

Mar 4, 2018
Maybe it's earlier too? The problem with E3 was not only did they rush announcements but they also held them back just so it could be saved for a show. Their wording just made it seem like they didn't like having to show everything off at once.

Eggman

Banned
Apr 16, 2018
I think the whole "Sony has nothing for E3" thing is being perceived too literally.

I mean, if Sony absolutely wanted to - they could've gone another year with Big Three (GoT/DS/TLOU2) and padded out the rest with third-party games. The read-in of why they're skipping E3 is due to the fact that they have nothing significant or interesting to make from a new reveal/announcement perspective, either due to genuine lack of stuff to announce this year - or that every other project is on PS5 and E3 isn't their timeline to reveal PS5 yet.

I definitely think that we'll see the next update for the Q4 2019/Q1 2020 games for any of the Big Three in a non-E3 related presentation, something that they could do without the pressure of "btw, here's also 2-3 new AAA game announcements that is expected at an E3 level show"

Yeah I keep seeing people repeat that. They also have a lot of third party exclusives they can show more of like Nioh 2, Granblue fantasy, some Square exclusives etc.

It should be phrased as "Sony doesn't have anything they want to announce at the moment". They aren't at E3 because people expect big announcements and the timing isn't right for that at the moment.

Screen Looker

Nov 17, 2018
I was of the opinion they should have quarterly showcases back when this was first announced. Clearly, I was very wrong.

Edit:

I also thought the new launch of the PS Blog would lead to something. Also wrong.

Sharpeye

Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
Going by what Cory and other devs have implied about E3, getting a game demo for the show is extremely stressful and takes up time and resources. That's why I'm fine with more publishers skipping E3 and showing stuff when it's truly ready, which in turn, prevents their stuff from getting overshadowed by other competitors and able to go more in depth with.

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I keep seeing people repeat that. They also have a lot of third party exclusives they can show more of like Nioh 2, Granblue fantasy, some Square exclusives etc.

It should be phrased as "Sony doesn't have anything they want to announce at the moment". They aren't at E3 because people expect big announcements and the timing isn't right for that at the moment.
They even said that at one point. I think Shawn did an interview talking about people expecting big announcements and they want to avoid that for now.

Apathy

Oct 25, 2017
Personally I'm fine, we know what they have coming out with the big and small stuff first party games to the end of the gen. They'll secure some more third party stuff as a way to pad stuff up. I'm sure though that the other studios are on the ps5 train now already so they can't talk about it in conferences and is why they are not going to want to show anything anywhere until they can show the system and some games being worked on (horizon 2).

nolifebr

Banned
Sep 1, 2018
Curitiba/BR
Sony is in a very complicated situation on the matter of events. Canceling PSX for a second year in a row would be pretty strange, but if the PSX does not have anything new/interesting, they may also send the wrong message.

If they really don't do anything during the year to leave everything for a PSX/PS Meeting. It's good that they deliver some bombs.

OléGunner

Oct 25, 2017
Airborne Aquarium
In light of debunked rumours like the Take Two one yesterday, it might make sense to look at where Sony is right now in terms of investments.

Sony is on an acquisitions footing at the moment.

Their new CEO had previously led Sony's strategic investments before he was CEO.

His mid term plan calls for a focus on strengthening content IP across the company. His first moves were the EMI acquisition, the Peanuts/Snoopy acquisition and a couple of smaller ones.

The mid term (3 year plan) suggests Sony avoid short term profitability, and invest excess cash flow, of 2 Trillion dollars to build a suite of recurring revenue streams. He has earmarked 1 Trillion quite firmly for capital expenditure in this period, primarily for image sensors, but most of the balance - perhaps 700+ billion yen? - for strategic investments (including the EMI deal). The focus of those investments will be on strengthening content IP and filling holes in technology IP. But given his focus in the strategy on Sony's position connecting users to content IP, I think the bulk of that would be channeled toward content acquisitions.

Ex the EMI deal, that leaves a few billion dollars of new cash in play for acquisitions over the next couple of years, assuming Sony meets their forecasts etc. They could leverage some of the existing cash they're sitting on and other instruments (e.g. stock or debt) in future acquisitions.

For the games business? It is, in the CEO's terms, their largest 'community of interest' connecting content IP to users. He says he wants to strengthen and grow their IP. I wouldn't be surprised to see Sony execute on acquisition activity in this transition phase to PS5, be it more mini acquisitions like Microsoft's recent ones, or the Audiokinetic one, or something a bit bigger. They could, realistically, spend up to and into maybe low single digit billions cash here, if gaming was to get a look-in commensurate with the business's importance to Sony. I'd use that range as an upper limit, when it comes to weighing up future rumours. Double digit billions like the Take Two rumour? That would be a stretch, and outside the scope of their mid term plan it seems. But yeah... do keep an eye on Sony and their cash activities. They are looking for opportunities, and I see little reason to thinking gaming wouldn't be in the mix.

Great post.

Can anyone with any marketing insight/knowledge of comparable circumstances shed some light how early planning/marketing meetings like this take place before the actually marketing push starts?

Something like a month ago I saw a tweet from Aki (head of market at Koji Pro) with him and Kojima at Sony in the US and he was meeting with the guy from PS Blog and the white board behind them had something about marketing planning or something to that meaning.

But even more in the space of 3-4 days we've seen the following people fly over to Japan to directly meet Kojima/Aki:

David Bull: Global Brand Marketing at PlayStation. Led the marketing for Spider-Man
Jim Ryan: Incoming CEO and President of Playstation
Craig Gibb (?): National Account Manager at Sony Interactive Entertainment Europe. In charge of sales and marketing for AAA releases. (Not sure if it is this Gibb guy since all Kojima says is "Craig" and this is the only Craig I could find that works in marketing for Sony)
Asad Qizilbash: Vice President, Marketing Exclusive Games & World Wide Studios IP Expansion

You don't usually get the play by play commentary that Kojima lets to give with his social media from other developers so I'm not sure if these meetings are indicative of anything important or if this stuff happens regularly with other games all the time and we're just not aware of it. Just my guess but I don't think this many big marketing related people would be flying over to Japan to meet Kojima if something wasn't happening within the coming months.

Another good post with a good eye on things.
I think KojiPro and Sony are designing the marketing roll out plans around DS right now.

Kojima probably has some weird and wild marketing ideas so global planning needs to go accordingly

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.