• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 25, 2017
In light of debunked rumours like the Take Two one yesterday, it might make sense to look at where Sony is right now in terms of investments.

Sony is on an acquisitions footing at the moment.

Their new CEO had previously led Sony's strategic investments before he was CEO.

His mid term plan calls for a focus on strengthening content IP across the company. His first moves were the EMI acquisition, the Peanuts/Snoopy acquisition and a couple of smaller ones.

The mid term (3 year plan) suggests Sony avoid short term profitability, and invest excess cash flow, of 2 Trillion dollars to build a suite of recurring revenue streams. He has earmarked 1 Trillion quite firmly for capital expenditure in this period, primarily for image sensors, but most of the balance - perhaps 700+ billion yen? - for strategic investments (including the EMI deal). The focus of those investments will be on strengthening content IP and filling holes in technology IP. But given his focus in the strategy on Sony's position connecting users to content IP, I think the bulk of that would be channeled toward content acquisitions.

Ex the EMI deal, that leaves a few billion dollars of new cash in play for acquisitions over the next couple of years, assuming Sony meets their forecasts etc. They could leverage some of the existing cash they're sitting on and other instruments (e.g. stock or debt) in future acquisitions.

For the games business? It is, in the CEO's terms, their largest 'community of interest' connecting content IP to users. He says he wants to strengthen and grow their IP. I wouldn't be surprised to see Sony execute on acquisition activity in this transition phase to PS5, be it more mini acquisitions like Microsoft's recent ones, or the Audiokinetic one, or something a bit bigger. They could, realistically, spend up to and into maybe low single digit billions cash here, if gaming was to get a look-in commensurate with the business's importance to Sony. I'd use that range as an upper limit, when it comes to weighing up future rumours. Double digit billions like the Take Two rumour? That would be a stretch, and outside the scope of their mid term plan it seems. But yeah... do keep an eye on Sony and their cash activities. They are looking for opportunities, and I see little reason to thinking gaming wouldn't be in the mix.
Good post.

Sony has stated they are more interested in buys akin to the audio kinetic one, but I wouldn't rule out studio buys either. They just need 1 or 2 strategic gets.

Electro

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Vienna
Sony should imo buy some smaller VR studios like Tarsier, First Contact, Impulse Gear, Polyarc or Firesprite.

Give them a good budget and they could make great games for PSVR2.

yukihirasouma

Mar 11, 2018
Do you guys think PSVR2 will be integrated into the PS5 (the processing unit I mean)? Like, will there be one single unit and a separate headset? Or will it continue to be it's own separate thing? If they are not integrated, do you see PSVR2 launching alongside the PS5?

LiquidSolid

Oct 26, 2017
Personally I don't think that his words resolved my query which was meant to be a Trojan horse into understanding Gio's role more.

Is he part of first party now or is he the head of games like Nioh/etc where he signs deals with TP games that are exclusive?
Digging this up because I just caught up with the thread and it's an interesting subject. My impression is that since Gio doesn't mention WWS, he's defining second party as something else and that could just be referring to the kind of projects Third Party Productions used to do. It kinda fits since Sony's the one who was funding the ports/remasters/localisations of those games, which still seems to happen if games like Castlevania Requiem and Borderlands 2 VR are anything to go by.

You can't tell by the way he's typing it?
Even if he was being sarcastic, the fact he felt the need to post that shit at all and not clarify that he was joking in his follow up post makes it well worth the criticism. Just because his intent wasn't as harmful as it may've seemed doesn't mean it wasn't thread shitting. I don't understand how he didn't at least get a warning.

Yeah I keep seeing people repeat that. They also have a lot of third party exclusives they can show more of like Nioh 2, Granblue fantasy, some Square exclusives etc.

It should be phrased as "Sony doesn't have anything they want to announce at the moment". They aren't at E3 because people expect big announcements and the timing isn't right for that at the moment.
That plus Sony aren't happy with the current state of E3, especially when they already have their own trade (Destination PlayStation) and public (PSX) events (not to mention appearances at proper public shows like Gamescom, PGW, PAX, TGS, etc) and don't really need to suffer the Frankenstein mess that E3's turned into.

I fully expect them to return to E3 next year but I doubt they'll have the same kind of presence there that they've had in previous years. I wouldn't be surprised if they drop the booth entirely and just have a conference (whether live or pre-recorded) and host their other E3 related business (private game previews, meetings, etc) off-site.

Do you guys think PSVR2 will be integrated into the PS5 (the processing unit I mean)? Like, will there be one single unit and a separate headset? Or will it continue to be it's own separate thing? If they are not integrated, do you see PSVR2 launching alongside the PS5?
I guess they could fuck up, like they did when the processing unit didn't initially support HDR, but I'd bet on it being integrated.

No way they launch PSVR2 alongside the PS5 though, the combined price of them both would be absurdly high and you'd kill the PSVR2 as a result. I'm guessing PSVR2 will come out a year or two after the PS5 and in the mean time, the PS5 will support PSVR via backwards compatibility.

Callibretto

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
I dont know how realistic this is, but I'd be cool if PSVR2 can operate stand alone and play some Oculus Quest level games. but can also be plugged in to ps4/5 to play ps4/5VR games.

Carmelozi

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Death Stranding marketing will be insane knowing Kojima. We talk about a guy who led people to believe we would play Snake in MGS2 or did the Joakim Mogren thing.

FelipeMGM

#Skate4
Oct 25, 2017
yo, Ben Hansom from Game Informer did an interview with Nicolas Doucet, head of Asobi Team within Japan Studio and creative director of Astro Bot: Rescue Mission. Its a really great piece where Nico shared some tidbits from Astro Bot development:

-Development time was 18 months
-At its peak, the team was 26 people
-The core team of Asobi (15 people) is mostly young devs that shipped their first commercial game ever with Astro Bot
-The team exists since 2012, and they are one of the first teams within WWS to be introduced to new hardware
-Nico will do a panel at GDC where amongst other things, he will show concepts of prototype designs of PS4 controllers

there's plenty more in there like how the game was originally multiplayer focused and if Nico and team are committed to VR for the immediate future:

Omnistalgic

self-requested temp ban
Oct 27, 2017
NJ
I'm all up for more of what the team has to offer. I would say Astrobot would lose a lot of appeal out of VR but if they can come up with some interesting concepts outside of VR why not use him as a vehicle for new gameplay ideas ala Mario.

DeathyG

Oct 27, 2017
NW Indiana
Death Stranding marketing will be insane knowing Kojima. We talk about a guy who led people to believe we would play Snake in MGS2 or did the Joakim Mogren thing.
Yeah I'm guessing an insane marketing push was one of the conditions when Sony was negotiating with him.

Sony has mastered marketing this gen and I can't wait to see what they do for Death Stranding.

SolidSnakex

Oct 25, 2017
Jordan from GTplanet was interviews about the series on this podcast

https://soundcloud.com/timeextend/017-fantastic-planet

At around 1:31:00 he mentions that he "thinks" the next game is going to be more like the classic entries (he refers to it as CaRPG, which was a name used back in the PSone days), and then quickly says "Don't tell anyone I said that". It's notable that he's really close to PD, so he likely knows what's going on with the next entry.

BrickArts295

GOTY Tracking Thread Master
Oct 26, 2017
I hope Sony turns Asobi into their AAAA dev for the future of PSVR.
They knocked out of the park with their first entry.
They should also grab unto First Contact (Firewall) and Impulse (Farpoint).

FelipeMGM

#Skate4
Oct 25, 2017

this was discussed here, and there's more to it than that. Likely not the traditional AAA game people are expecting:

It's a new small team within London Studio called "Entertainment Team"

I wonder If this is for something in the vein of ERICA/Late Shift/Bandersnatch since they mention that interest in cinema and background in film productions are a plus. Definitely doesnt sound like a traditional AAA console game like some are imagining here

ArmGunar

PlayStatistician
Oct 30, 2017
Jordan from GTplanet was interviews about the series on this podcast

https://soundcloud.com/timeextend/017-fantastic-planet

At around 1:31:00 he mentions that he "thinks" the next game is going to be more like the classic entries (he refers to it as CaRPG, which was a name used back in the PSone days), and then quickly says "Don't tell anyone I said that". It's notable that he's really close to PD, so he likely knows what's going on with the next entry.

I hope they will outsource for the next entry to have a lot of content day one

FelipeMGM

#Skate4
Oct 25, 2017
oh ok, AAA like Dreams?

This is more me speculating, but I think the AAA references that we've been seeing in some job listings may refer more to a level of polish and assets within the game. Like, Astro Bot sure feels as polished as a AAA game, but we know that it was a sub-30 people game made in less than two years

Who knows, maybe they are gearing up for a traditional AAA game, but seeing how they are describing this team and project and considering the background for the studio in the last decade, I think it's likely something smaller, more experimental but with really good level quality and polish

Acquiescence

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Lake Titicaca
yo, Ben Hansom from Game Informer did an interview with Nicolas Doucet, head of Asobi Team within Japan Studio and creative director of Astro Bot: Rescue Mission. Its a really great piece where Nico shared some tidbits from Astro Bot development:

-The core team of Asobi (15 people) is mostly young devs that shipped their first commercial game ever with Astro Bot
-The team exists since 2012, and they are one of the first teams within WWS to be introduced to new hardware
-Nico will do a panel at GDC where he will show concepts of prototype designs of PS4 controllers

there's plenty more in there like how the game was originally multiplayer focused and if Nico and team are committed to VR for the immediate future:

The host said that he played Astro Bot all in one sitting. Like... how?! If I did that I would have collapsed from the motion sickness or the heat or something.

Some of those bullet points though, damn. Must've been a relatively cheap production for Sony to fund if the core team was only 15 people. Many of whom were working on their first game too. Seriously impressive.

Electro

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Vienna
This is more me speculating, but I think the AAA references that we've been seeing in some job listings may refer more to a level of polish and assets within the game. Like, Astro Bot sure feels as polished as a AAA game, but we know that it was a sub-30 people game made in less than two years

Who knows, maybe they are gearing up for a traditional AAA game, but seeing how they are describing this team and project and considering the background for the studio in the last decade, I think it's likely something smaller, more experimental but with really good level quality and polish

They call Blood & Truth an AAA VR game and I hope the next London game will also be a bigger VR game.

Iwao

Oct 25, 2017

To those that think this game isn't coming out this year:

Kojima is comfortable showing the first 2 hours to Guerrilla Games and even non-industry folk like Joe Penna and Vogt-Roberts have seen it. It's impressive enough that when shown people come away calling it "mind blowing", "timeless" and "miraculous".

So, it has to be at a mature enough state of development that the marketing of the game can finally be prospected and seriously considered.

... and what do you know? In the past few days, Jim Ryan visited KojiPro, as did Asad Qizilbash, Craig Malanka and now David Bull. This can only mean that global marketing is being discussed intensely and big things will be coming soon. The game will be almost done at this point. I'm anticipating one of the weirdest yet strongest and most evocative marketing campaigns ever.

Electro

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Vienna

ArkhamFantasy

Oct 25, 2017
Random tweets about a game are not reflective of its development status, i don't know why you guys keep doing this to yourselves.

The only time they've ever commented about the games development lately is too say its behind schedule, And we don't even know what that means because we've been given no release window.

Cyberia

Nov 8, 2017
Gustav Ziolkowski has joined Santa Monica Studio as a progression designer.

jQgCKLn.png

https://www.linkedin.com/in/gustavziolkowski

Iwao

Oct 25, 2017
Random tweets about a game are not reflective of its development status, i don't know why you guys keep doing this to yourselves.

The only time they've ever commented about the games development lately is too say its behind schedule, And we don't even know what that means because we've been given no release window.
Mate, there are more signs of Death Stranding's development status than studio visits. Those only help to solidify what we already know. As has been mentioned multiple times already, the "behind schedule" comment was in relation to something that happened in 2016, and was talked about in December of 2017. We've known about it for ages, but Kojima just being earnest and relaying that information to the person who was asking about the game's status... lately. It was the SAG-AFTRA voice actor strike that threw a spanner in the works and caused a delay to the original projected release date. "Slightly" behind schedule is what he said anyway.

The game's been in localisation since last year, and there's not a chance they would be this deep in marketing discussions if the game wasn't at a certain point. Oh, and yes - we have been given the parameters to figure out what the game's original projected release window was for a good couple of years now.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017

Look closer. It clearly says in the tweet the game is coming February 2020.

Sonicfan059

Mar 4, 2018
Great post.

Another good post with a good eye on things.
I think KojiPro and Sony are designing the marketing roll out plans around DS right now.

Kojima probably has some weird and wild marketing ideas so global planning needs to go accordingly
Kojima's marketing is a crying baby doll in an empty room with Death Stranding levetating.

fanboy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Slovakia

-Nico will do a panel at GDC where amongst other things, he will show concepts of prototype designs of PS4 controllers

Well are they commited to vr? I cant watch the video now

bombshell

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Denmark
So Edward Pereira, gameplay programmer at Naughty Dog, will participate in 3 multiplayer roundtable talks at GDC.
Naughty Dog at GDC 2019
One of them with the topic description:
"Multiplayer games are getting more complicated by the day, developers are starting to manage player counts in one session upwards of 100 players for some very popular modern games. In this roundtable session, attendees will talk about server development practices that range from small, non-intensive, simulations to large scale simulations with ever growing player counts."

The Last of Us Part 2 Battle Royale MP mode? :D

Angie

Best Avatar Thread Ever!
Nov 20, 2017
Kingdom of Corona
So Edward Pereira, gameplay programmer at Naughty Dog, will participate in 3 multiplayer roundtable talks at GDC.
Naughty Dog at GDC 2019
"Multiplayer games are getting more complicated by the day, developers are starting to manage player counts in one session upwards of 100 players for some very popular modern games. In this roundtable session, attendees will talk about server development practices that range from small, non-intensive, simulations to large scale simulations with ever growing player counts."

Is one of those games that BR would make sense tbh. But not with 100 people matches

Oct 27, 2017
I hope Sony turns Asobi into their AAAA dev for the future of PSVR.
They knocked out of the park with their first entry.
They should also grab unto First Contact (Firewall) and Impulse (Farpoint).

I've just looked at their LinkedIn accounts and both studios seem to be in the 30s in terms of headcounts. They would actually both be a good acquisition as it brings in some FPS talent and they could have the opportunity to grow both devs to AAA-capable.

I would love then to return to developing bigger non-VR games. I know it'll probably never happen but I'd love to see another crack at The Getaway. Personally I'd love to see a city like Prague or Berlin or Moscow be featured.

The host said that he played Astro Bot all in one sitting. Like... how?! If I did that I would have collapsed from the motion sickness or the heat or something.

Some of those bullet points though, damn. Must've been a relatively cheap production for Sony to fund if the core team was only 15 people. Many of whom were working on their first game too. Seriously impressive.

I seem to recall that Nintendo was hiring a lot of younger developers too a few years ago (maybe for Splatoon?). Seems to be a good way of getting some new ideas and fresh energy into a project.

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, The Last of Us battle royale actually fits the game. The few people left around desperately trying to survive in a torn apart world. I would actually like that quite a bit. I mean, heck, the name of the game itself lends itself to it. I would still want the kind of MP in the first game to be there though. BR only would be disappointing.

Oct 26, 2017
Naughty Dog at GDC 2019

Heyy Neil was super into PUBG before. The MP style of TLOU would fit BR perfectly. It's all about scrounging for resources and sneaking around. I WANT TO BELIEVE!

janusff

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
Still not convinced that they'll do a BR mode. I bet it takes a lot to make that kinda mode for the game. Plus, would they abandon the type of modes they had for the first game? Doubt it. So they would have to make the BR mode and smaller maps for the elimination modes or whatever. Sounds like a lot of work.

Yan

Oct 29, 2017
Yeah, The Last of Us battle royale actually fits the game. The few people left around desperately trying to survive in a torn apart world. I would actually like that quite a bit. I mean, heck, the name of the game itself lends itself to it. I would still want the kind of MP in the first game to be there though. BR only would be disappointing.

Indeed. TLOU is one of the few games where a BR mode would makes sense actually. It's a perfect match regarding theme and gameplay. And since ND has been experimenting with "wide linair" levels in UC4 and TLL I wouldn't doubt the engine can handle a big open map.

bombshell

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Denmark
Still not convinced that they'll do a BR mode. I bet it takes a lot to make that kinda mode for the game. Plus, would they abandon the type of modes they had for the first game? Doubt it. So they would have to make the BR mode and smaller maps for the elimination modes or whatever. Sounds like a lot of work.
Not sure if it's easier said than done, but would making a big BR map not allow them to just use small contained parts of that map for the objective mode maps?

Status
Not open for further replies.