• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

LiquidSolid

Oct 26, 2017
Indeed. TLOU is one of the few games where a BR mode would makes sense actually. It's a perfect match regarding theme and gameplay. And since ND has been experimenting with "wide linair" levels in UC4 and TLL I wouldn't doubt the engine can handle a big open map.
Wide linear isn't being used to describe the open world-esque sections of those games, it's being used to describe linear levels that allow you to approach them in different ways and take different routes. It's the difference between the level design in UC2/3 and TLOU/UC4 (TLOU is when they coined the term).

Still not convinced that they'll do a BR mode. I bet it takes a lot to make that kinda mode for the game. Plus, would they abandon the type of modes they had for the first game? Doubt it. So they would have to make the BR mode and smaller maps for the elimination modes or whatever. Sounds like a lot of work.
Yeah and if they did do it, they'd need to dedicate a large team to continue supporting it for years. I think if they repeated the same pattern they've had with all their previous multiplayer modes and dropped support after about a year, it'd be an enormous waste of time even bothering with such a massive multiplayer mode.

In other words, I could maybe see them making a BR-esque mode IF the new San Diego team are the ones who're working and supporting it. If not then I can't see it happening because I can't see Naughty Dog splitting off a dedicated BR team.

Oct 27, 2017
Just a random thought, but with Google's upcoming conference and the fact Richard Marks joined them last year, I wondered who took the reins at PlayStation Magic Lab. I always assume it would be Anton Mikhailov since he was the second most well known face of the Lab after Marks, but it's Steven Osman, who joined PlayStation in 2005. His first works was the E3 2005 duck demo hehe. As for Mikhailov I'm not even sure he works for Sony anymore and left Media Molecule I don't know when exactly but I think it was noticed here a while ago.

ArmGunar

PlayStatistician
Oct 30, 2017

WhatCulture Gaming claims that UC5 is a thing. Seems weird that the dev to go out of his way for this.

I really hope this new San Diego studio is doing Uncharted
It's the kind of franchise which can last forever if they have a great story to tell

I wish Sony built a studio just to do Uncharted, like Sony San Diego with MLB or Polyphony with Gran Turismo (or MS with Gears, Halo and Forza)

Angie

Best Avatar Thread Ever!
Nov 20, 2017
Kingdom of Corona
I really hope this new San Diego studio is doing Uncharted
It's the kind of franchise which can last forever if they have a great story to tell

I wish Sony built a studio just to do Uncharted, like Sony San Diego with MLB or Polyphony with Gran Turismo (or MS with Gears, Halo and Forza)
Those are always Goty winners/ contenders with 90 + MC games. So if is true they are building a studio for UC, I wish them luck, because is not easy to fill ND shoes lol

ArmGunar

PlayStatistician
Oct 30, 2017
Those are always Goty winners/ contenders with 90 + MC games. So if is true they are building a studio for UC, I wish them luck, because is not easy to fill ND shoes lol
Uncharted without ND, I'm not sure how to feel about that, probably won't continue ND's +90 streak.

Lost Legacy is awesome and has 85 OC / 84 MC, so no problem here

And "this high visibility project is being developed in collaboration with a major Sony development studio."
If it's really Uncharted, Naughty Dog is here to help/advise

Angie

Best Avatar Thread Ever!
Nov 20, 2017
Kingdom of Corona

Mugen X

Oct 27, 2017
Colorado
Yeah, The Last of Us battle royale actually fits the game. The few people left around desperately trying to survive in a torn apart world. I would actually like that quite a bit. I mean, heck, the name of the game itself lends itself to it. I would still want the kind of MP in the first game to be there though. BR only would be disappointing.
Wasn't the original mode pretty much battle royale with teams?

ElliesKnife

Apr 7, 2018
Why? It's much better than Naughty Dog being forced to continue the series. And such a new team might just use an Uncharted instalment to prove themselves before maybe making their own new IP as next game.
This would be my best guess. They won't be "forced" to make Uncharted, but given the opportunity to work on an established franchise before moving on. Playstation has shown they allow they're devs creative freedom and it allows the developers to flourish in the end.

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
Uncharted without ND, I'm not sure how to feel about that, probably won't continue ND's +90 streak.
its not like its the first uncharted not developed by naughty dog.
and i bet ND will be assisting that team with technology and developers etc. also they seem to have a lot of ex ND devs.

2CL4Mars

Nov 9, 2018
Why? It's much better than Naughty Dog being forced to continue the series. And such a new team might just use an Uncharted instalment to prove themselves before maybe making their own new IP as next game.

It's just that when a studio is made to focus on one franchise in the long run the developers would be worse for it. What will happen is, the quality of some entries are going to be better than others, we can see it with COD games, AC games etc.

I think you can agree that when Guerilla shifted it's focus from Killzone to Horizon it was to the benefit of the developer and us, consumers. Uncharted is a great series yet I personally don't think that a studio created to make Uncharted games is a right choice.

Gerwant

Oct 27, 2017
Just accept that this San Diego team will work on the multiplayer mode for TLoU PII and you will avoid disappointment in the future :P

Kyoufu

Oct 26, 2017
As long as the new Uncharted stars Chloe or you know who, I'll keep an open mind. No Nathan Drake, though. My boy's adventuring days are over.

It's gonna be a young Drake, probably going to release alongside the hollywood movie.

Just accept that this San Diego team will work on the multiplayer mode for TLoU PII and you will avoid disappointment in the future :P

ND already have their own internal multiplayer team.

Nov 18, 2018
It's gonna be a young Drake, probably going to release alongside the hollywood movie.
This is my guess too but I think it's probably the least interesting thing they could do. In 10 years maybe a reboot with young Drake could work but I feel like it's too soon to do it now.

I'd love another game with Chloe and Nadine but I'd be surprised if they did that.

TazKa

Oct 27, 2017
This is my guess too but I think it's probably the least interesting thing they could do. In 10 years maybe a reboot with young Drake could work but I feel like it's too soon to do it now.

I'd love another game with Chloe and Nadine but I'd be surprised if they did that.

I would like a new gen takes the lead. ND put it on the way with the end of Uncharted 4.

Should we have a connection to Drake, probably necessary and an advantage. Should it try new things, of course, but what? Open world? A more critical view on gameplay with ludonarrative dissonance? Should it go more grounded or embrace the supernatural?

ArmGunar

PlayStatistician
Oct 30, 2017
Where did this rumor come from that there's another UC in development? Just curious

Quentin Cobb, former Naughty Dog game designer is back at Sony, in an unannounced studio in San Diego (not the MLB one)
And the job openings for the studio :
Are you an experienced game developer with a penchant for high quality, 3rd person, Action/Adventure games?
Sony PlayStation is building a new game development team in partnership with the Visual Arts Service Group (VASG), an award-winning, full-production studio that specializes in Animation, Motion Capture, Cinematics, Art and Scanning.
This high visibility project is being developed in collaboration with a major Sony development studio.

Full description here : https://boards.greenhouse.io/sonyinteractiveentertainmentplaystation/jobs/1072108

OG_Thrills

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
A studio dedicated to making Uncharted games is my nightmare.

Given everything we've heard about Sony's handling of studios and ip, I don't think they'd be tethered to making a single ip. At this point it'd almost be uncharacteristic. Perhaps they wanted to make a sequel or take the series in another direction? That said, I agree with your point. Any studio making one game will eventually end up like Bungie and wanting to break free.

Oct 25, 2017
They could just be working on UC to get started but then go in another direction once they have their bearings.

UC4 was the biggest UC has ever been for Sony, so it makes sense that they aren't shelving it just yet. At least it gives Naughty Dog room for a new IP after The Last of Us II.

ArmGunar

PlayStatistician
Oct 30, 2017
They could just be working on UC to get started but then go in another direction once they have their bearings.

UC4 was the biggest UC has ever been for Sony, so it makes sense that they aren't shelving it just yet. At least it gives Naughty Dog room for a new IP after The Last of Us II.

Yeah probably that
First, an Uncharted game, then if success is here, expand the studio and do another Uncharted while a small team can begin discussion about a new IP or another existing franchise to take on

FliX

Master of the Reality Stone
Oct 25, 2017
Metro Detroit
I would also add it must be a super honour to be handed the reigns to such a huge franchise. Why wouldn't a new studio jump at the opportunity.

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah probably that
First, an Uncharted game, then if success is here, expand the studio and do another Uncharted while a small team can begin discussion about a new IP or another existing franchise to take on
Yeah, that sounds right to me. Sony isn't going to turn them into an Uncharted factory. None of their studios are factories aside from Polyphony and San Diego. And heck, they even tried (although poorly) letting San Diego experiment with FTP games.

I would also add it must be a super honour to be handed the reigns to such a huge franchise. Why wouldn't a new studio jump at the opportunity.
Especially if they can handle that task and put a nice spin on the franchise. It would be a great jumping off point for them into doing their own thing.

ArkhamFantasy

Oct 25, 2017

We see franchises get handed over to different developers all the time, it often results in large drops in both critical and commercial success. (Gears of War Judgement and Arkham Origins are probably the two best examples that come to mind). And keep in mind those were massively popular IP.

Dragoon

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
We see franchises get handed over to different developers all the time, it often results in large drops in both critical and commercial success. (Gears of War Judgement and Arkham Origins are probably the two best examples that come to mind). And keep in mind those were massively popular IP.
Even if reboot uncharted sells 7-8m, that is still a success. Add online DLCs and they still print money.

I'm curious what U4 sold, because it feels like it could ve anywhere between 11 to 15m

Dragoon

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I would like a new gen takes the lead. ND put it on the way with the end of Uncharted 4.

Should we have a connection to Drake, probably necessary and an advantage. Should it try new things, of course, but what? Open world? A more critical view on gameplay with ludonarrative dissonance? Should it go more grounded or embrace the supernatural?
open world is bot the answer to everything. Also hurts one of the best things about the franchise, pacing.

ArmGunar

PlayStatistician
Oct 30, 2017
Yeah, that sounds right to me. Sony isn't going to turn them into an Uncharted factory. None of their studios are factories aside from Polyphony and San Diego.

Do we know if MLB games sales are meh/good/very good for Sony, any indication from insiders ?
I always wondered that, I guess it's okay for Sony since SSD did these games for at least 10 years

janusff

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
The new Uncharted studio should do a soft reboot of Uncharted. Differentiate themselves from ND. Lose the cover shooting mechanics and revamp gunplay, make it more tactical. Keep the pulpy tone and grandiose set pieces. Have it star Chloe.

Status
Not open for further replies.