• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Azzanadra

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
So, if the game does come out in 2019, should we be worried about the quality? Uncharted 4 was 2016, and Lost Legacy was 2017... leaving 2 years for development, 3 years at most if we assume that the entire team was not on Lost Legacy (but considering how it essentially morphed into a stand-alone Uncharted campaign, I'm willing to bet at least significant manpower and resources were devoted to it).

It feels weird to complain about a game coming out TOO early, but in this day and age I'm expecting the dev time to truly do these AAA juggernauts justice in the 4-5 year range. Either TLOU2 will end up disappointing due to a rushed development/lack of polish or Naughty Dog upped the crunch.... and the implications of that are even more uncomfortable.

Or maybe I'm just a massive pessimist and ND work really smart and efficiently.

z285714

Sep 9, 2018
Emmm...The deadline of Sony may be 2019.But I remember that God of War finished the last scene in 2016.And we got it in 2018...

Nightengale

Oct 26, 2017
Malaysia
Naughty Dog has historically been a studio with very lean development times.

In the PS3 era - they released a game every 2 years.

Even with Uncharted 4 - in spite of it being rebooted midway through development, they managed to crank it out within 3 years of their last big project. In other words, they only took one extra year.

TLL took a year, and that was a meaty game.

2019 was always imo - the most rational release window for TLOU2 given ND's pace of release. 2019 would put it 3 years since their last major release.

SolidSnakex

Oct 25, 2017
So, if the game does come out in 2019, should we be worried about the quality? Uncharted 4 was 2016, and Lost Legacy was 2017... leaving 2 years for development, 3 years at most if we assume that the entire team was not on Lost Legacy (but considering how it essentially morphed into a stand-alone Uncharted campaign, I'm willing to bet at least significant manpower and resources were devoted to it).

It feels weird to complain about a game coming out TOO early, but in this day and age I'm expecting the dev time to truly do these AAA juggernauts justice in the 4-5 year range. Either TLOU2 will end up disappointing due to a rushed development/lack of polish or Naughty Dog upped the crunch.... and the implications of that are even more uncomfortable.

Or maybe I'm just a massive pessimist and ND work really smart and efficiently.

There's zero chance that ND would rush Part II. Just watch or read interviews about it from them. They're extremely passionate about this series and aren't going to allow it to release without it being the best it can possibly be. As far as the development schedule goes, while obviously a lot of the staff were working on TLL, many of the important figures on Part II were working on it rather than TLL. Like Neil, Anthony Newman (co-director) and the two lead game designers (Emilia Schatz and Richard Cambier). So they've all been working on it since wrapping up Uncharted 4.

defghik

Feb 15, 2018
If TLOU2 really is coming out this year it's amazing how little we've seen of it so far. Just the initial reveal trailer (I think they've even said that scene won't be in the game and was made just for the reveal?), the trailer with the mystery woman, and a short gameplay demo.

Screen Looker

Nov 17, 2018
Even with outsourcing I am talking about things like level design, encounter design, AI etc etc.. It is still too quick in this day and age. I am assuming this game is going to have about 16-17 hours of gameplay content.

Yeah, but what do you think is the most time intensive part of creating the game? It's not the design, it's the brute force output of making it all look real. Design is difficult, but no one designer is building out all of those levels.

Mugen X

Oct 27, 2017
Colorado
Benji's constant hints at a 2019 release date, as well as the constant smoke around the rumors tells me it's probably dropping this year. Feels to real not to be true at this point

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
Made a thread on the big rumors about Gran Turismo 7 being a launch title for the PS5
https://www.resetera.com/threads/gr...ystation-5-launch-title.111961/#post-19922921

Comes from this Pastebin leak which was posted in December of last year. Everything here lines up with the specs Cerny detailed today + some more rumored stuff like extra tier of PS Plus.
https://pastebin.com/PY9vaTsR

GCJR3l3.png

Obviously it's nothing set in stone or anything but it's interesting to take a look with what we know now. I wouldn't put it past Polyphony to get GT7 out for the PS5, especially since they've been demoing their ray-tracing tech recently.

I do think the whole remaster thing does put some doubt on this leak though considering the PS5 will be backwards compat with the PS4.

Pharaoh

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 27, 2017
ND are definitely aiming for a 2019 release. Question now is if the'll be able to hit or not.

ArmGunar

PlayStatistician
Oct 30, 2017
I just hope the crunch will not be this intense... yeah that's cool to have TLOU Part II in 2019 but it's not if talents go away from Naughty Dog after the end of development like Straley after Uncharted 4

GamingCJ

Apr 14, 2019
Made a thread on the big rumors about Gran Turismo 7 being a launch title for the PS5
https://www.resetera.com/threads/gr...ystation-5-launch-title.111961/#post-19922921

Comes from this Pastebin leak which was posted in December of last year. Everything here lines up with the specs Cerny detailed today + some more rumored stuff like extra tier of PS Plus.

GCJR3l3.png

Obviously it's nothing set in stone or anything but it's interesting to take a look with what we know now. I wouldn't put it past Polyphony to get GT7 out for the PS5, especially since they've been demoing their ray-tracing tech recently.

I do think the whole remaster thing does put some doubt on this leak though considering the PS5 will be backwards compat with the PS4.

There is so much nonsense in there, that it's safe to assume it's just a cumulated fanfiction.
First, how the hell is a 3rd Party developer from Europe supposed to know All this Software, strategy and Service stuff. Second, a PSVR for $250 with eye tracking and wireless is literally impossible. Third, the GTA 6 in 2020 with 1 month exclusivity? lol

Manixramz

Apr 4, 2018
There is so much nonsense in there, that it's safe to assume it's just a cumulated fanfiction.
First, how the hell is a 3rd Party developer from Europe supposed to know All this Software, strategy and Service stuff. Second, a PSVR for $250 with eye tracking and wireless is literally impossible. Third, the GTA 6 in 2020 with 1 month exclusivity? lol

Well that was era said for RT , 8k up scaling and SSD but see where are we now .

though the GTA 6 in 2020 is unbelievable but 1 month exclusivity don't surprise me at all .
can't even imaging if take two buyout become reality hahaha

Oct 27, 2017
Not to mention, who releases a console with AAA first party exclusives? That's nuts! (Granted the 2 are termed as remasters). But there is an established formula to first part launch titles. Almost everyone, has one big graphical showpiece or critically acclaimed title to blow everyone away. Then they have one smaller title to release alongside and then a bunch of 3rd party ports and other stuff. That's just how everyone rolls these days.

Saint-14

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
I wonder if Sony is waiting on PS3 2 and 1 BC announcement for a good time or we just aren't getting them, I guess it's better to just expect PS4.

Pariah

Oct 29, 2017
I mean, having connections to the industry always helps, but TLOU aiming for 2019 was clear since a few months ago. When small updates started to accumulate (orientative dates, PS websites including the game among future releases), it was indicative of what's the plan. Besides that, the clearer sign to me was the budget price for Concrete Genie. Sony's no strange to only publishing one big game for Q4, whether it is Gran Turismo or The Last Guardian, but they've rarely done the same with a smaller game. Neither Concrete Genie, nor Medievil if it got released this year, would have the presence to lead PS4 into Christmas. There has to be something else, and from what's announced, TLOU looks like the best candidate.

Though that doesn't mean they'll be able to do it.

Andrew-Ryan

Banned
Dec 4, 2018

SageShinigami

Oct 27, 2017

GCJR3l3.png

Half of this is already confirmed, isn't it? It looked like BS before but I'm not so sure anymore. The remaster thing sounds wrong but then there's this:

As in many other generational transitions, this will be a gentle one, with numerous new games being released for both PS4 and the next-gen console. (Where exactly Hideo Kojima's forthcoming title Death Stranding fits in that process is still unconfirmed. When asked, a spokesperson in the room repeated that the game would be released for PS4, but Cerny's smile and pregnant pause invites speculation that it will in fact be a two-platform release.)

Maybe that was BS, but maybe not.

kingkenny76

Oct 31, 2017
Half of this is already confirmed, isn't it? It looked like BS before but I'm not so sure anymore. The remaster thing sounds wrong but then there's this:
Maybe that was BS, but maybe not.

IMO I think this part is lost in translation, I think they just mean that the games will get a free upgrade like Borderlands 2 got just recently with 4K remaster upgrade.
The PSVR2 stuff does sound too good to be true though.

GamingCJ

Apr 14, 2019
IMO I think this part is lost in translation, I think they just mean that the games will get a free upgrade like Borderlands 2 got just recently with 4K remaster upgrade.
The PSVR2 stuff does sound too good to be true though.

I said it before: the PSVR2 stuff is absolutly impossible. Some other things, like GTA6 in 2020 are absurd as well. Also there is just no way a small 3rd developer Party from Europe actually knows the entire Software, Hardware and Services strategy including prices.
All fake af, some things that turned out to be true were easy guess es, the Rest plain luck.

Last edited:

GamingCJ

Apr 14, 2019
I thought Cerny implied that PSVR 2 isn't coming with the PS5? Which makes that leak not true.
I wouldn't say so. He said PSVR1 would be ps5 compatible, and that's all he is gonna say now. The thing that makes this "leak" not true, is that it describes specs for a >$1000 VR Headset launching for $250.

Deleted member 36493

User requested account closure
Dec 19, 2017
So with Mark Cerny working with Insomniac on Spider-Man and choosing that game to demo on the PS5 devkit, I think that Insomniac may have had devkits for a while now. I definitely expect a Year 1 game from them.

Benji

Self Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
ND are definitely aiming for a 2019 release. Question now is if the'll be able to hit or not.

Yep

Goal is 2019. Has been for a long time. Question is if they can do it or not.

Without going into details Sony has already started speaking with certain partners about marketing on the game. They are gearing up to launch it.

poklane

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
Yep

Without going into details Sony has already started speaking with certain partners about marketing on the game. They are gearing up to launch it.
Shieeeeeeeetttttttttt
I'm guessing we might be seeing a new State of Play with The Last of Us Part II as the main showcase soon then?

Benji

Self Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Shieeeeeeeetttttttttt
I'm guessing we might be seeing a new State of Play with The Last of Us Part II as the main showcase soon then?

No idea and I'm done with all the Last of Us 2 hinting.

But people thinking this is a Q4 2020 launch or later are crazy. It's going to be either this Fall or early next year

F4r0_Atak

Oct 31, 2017
Home
People seem to have forgotten that ND was working on The Last of Us Part 2 before they made Neil Druckmann and Bruce Straley work on Uncharted 4. It would be a first in a long time that ND releases a gameduring the holidays if it is indeed a #Team2019 game. :P
I said it before: the PSVR2 stuff is absolutly impossible. Some other things, like GTA6 in 2020 are absurd as well. Also there is just no way a small 3rd developer Party from Europe actually knows the entire Software, Hardware and Services strategy including prices.
All fake af, some things that turned out to be true were easy guess es, the Rest plain luck.
GTA VI in 2020 is ludicrous! With rumors saying that their next game could be a new Bully, GTA will most likely be a late gen release for next-gen (just like on PS3).

Last edited:

ArmGunar

PlayStatistician
Oct 30, 2017
Yep

Hope there is not a lot of crunch and this internal date is realistic for them

Status
Not open for further replies.