• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Shairi

Aug 27, 2018
Nobody has to worry about Bend. Days Gone will sell a ton. They will be fine and probably even grow.

Anyway i hope their next game won't be Days Gone 2. Garvin seems to be a nice guy, but the studio needs a new creative director and lead writer.

Zukkoyaki

Oct 25, 2017
Concrete Genie has that artsy fartsy indie feel that critics love going for it so expect an extra 5-10 points on metacritic :D

Not really... maybe?

On a serious note, I'm incredibly excited for Concrete Genie and think it looks brilliant!

Deleted member 17403

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I wonder how Sony will choose to handle this situation. On one hand, they've invested a tremendous amount of time and money into Days Gone and Bend itself and are presently expanding. I have no doubt that the game will be a financial success, but the ramifications of these reviews will greatly impact the long term sales of Days Gone and its prospects as a franchise. Will Sony be willing to continue to invest and build Days Gone into a franchise even while some gamers, and publications have already written off the game? What do you guys think? Should Bend move on to something entirely new, keeping the lessons that they've learned from Days Gone to craft a better game or do they forge ahead and double down on DG being a totem franchise of PS and make another- keeping the lessons it learned from this game but still carrying that perception of being derivative, unoriginal and in some cases a terrible experience with them?

I've yet to play the game and I've always been excited for it since its unveiling but I'd be lying if I didn't say that I want more from Bend. I don't think zombie games are derivative or unoriginal but I think DG is itself trapped between a rock and a hard place. The game in ways, looks to be an amalgam of both Horizon and TLoU based upon gameplay mechanics and narrative backdrop respectively with the notable distinctions being the bike and the horde. Going forward, I'd love to see Bend do a game that captures the initial moments of pandemonium in these types of games that shows the world going to hell and you're caught within it as opposed to you playing after the world has gone to hell and things have relatively lulled. I imagine the scene from 2005's War of the Worlds where you experience the initial invasion and the immediate days to follow rather than years after the fact. If I were Bend, I would've taken the game in a RE:Outbreak + Stalker direction but that's not what they intended to create so I can't fault them for that. Congrats to them for seeing their vision through. Like Guerrilla, they've demonstrated talent that only needs to be further cultivated for the investment to pay off.

F4r0_Atak

Oct 31, 2017
Home
This whole Days Gone situation is making me wary of how critics are going to review games from now on. They seem harsher and more sensitive to certain things than they used to. Crossing my fingers for Days Gone to sell gangbusters (don'twant Bend to close down). I want to see grow Bend Studio and get the attention and recognition they deserve. :(

Bundy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Nobody has to worry about Bend. Days Gone will sell a ton. They will be fine and probably even grow.

Anyway i hope their next game won't be Days Gone 2. Garvin seems to be a nice guy, but the studio needs a new creative director and lead writer.

They are growing right now as we speak. My guess is they will be as big as Sucker Punch soon. That's the goal.
Bend Studio had 60 developers in its first Days Gone years. They are around 110-130 now. Let's see what they will do for the PS5. My guess is Days Gone 2 :)

Oct 30, 2017
Will Sony be willing to continue to invest and build Days Gone into a franchise even while some gamers, and publications have already written off the game?
I don't think there should be a sequel. The world of Days Gone and the characters are not unique and interesting enough to build the game into a franchise (apparently). Also there will be more than enough AAA-sequels in the next few years from Sony's big studios. Spider-Man2, Horizon2, TLoU2, BB2 (?). Maybe even another Uncharted game from another developer. Bend should create a new IP.

It makes much more sense to develop a sequel to The Order. There's so much you can improve there, the concept/characters/world are awesome. More of that with better gameplay, level design and story.

Oct 27, 2017
Artistically it's great but animations looks a bit rough

From the comments: apparently its a common phrase in bikers weddings lol. Not sure myself

Deleted member 17403

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't think there should be a sequel. The world of Days Gone and the characters are not unique and interesting enough to build the game into a franchise. Also there will be more than enough AAA-sequels in the next few years from Sony's big studios. Spider-Man2, Horizon2, TLoU2, BB2 (?). Bend should create a new IP.

It makes much more sense to develop a sequel to The Order. There's so much you can improve there, the concept/characters/world is awesome.
TO1886 would have to undergo dramatic changes, in my opinion, to be a worthwhile franchise but the damage is done for it and arguably for DG. The game is far too grounded and takes itself far too seriously while not taking advantage of its more supernatural elements. It'd take a total revamp to salvage it imo. The ending was also extremely stupid to be very frank and made no sense.

EssCee

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Let's go back to focusing on the Big 3

Expecting TLOU2 info (previews/gameplay/trailer) by June - with a release date sometime in October

NediarPT88

Oct 29, 2017
Concrete Genie looks very promising. We saw at E3 that the game would be a mix of puzzle (painting the walls so the creatures could interact with the environment allowing you to progress through it) and a bit of stealth/platforming (avoiding the bullies by climbing to roofs so you can continue painting), but the last part of the SoP trailer makes me think you'll unlock some cool abilities and that there's also some kind of combat involved.

Artistically it's great but animations looks a bit rough

Do they? I really don't see where, I remember it being one of the things that surprised me, the animations were actually pretty good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eeOCsZ6NhTA

Oct 27, 2017
Concrete Genie looks very promising. We saw at E3 that the game would be a mix of puzzle (painting the walls so the creatures could interact with the environment allowing you to progress through it) and a bit of stealth/platforming (avoiding the bullies by climbing to roofs so you can continue painting), but the last part of the SoP trailer makes me think you'll unlock some cool abilities and that there's also some kind of combat involved.

Do they? I really don't see where, I remember it being one of the things that surprised me, the animations were actually pretty good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eeOCsZ6NhTA
Well here it does indeed look good. I was basin my comment on the latest trailer. The facial animation is very 'simple'. It could be an artistic choice of course. I myself am quite excited for this game but i can see some people not liking the looks of it.

NediarPT88

Oct 29, 2017
Well here it does indeed look good. I was basin my comment on the latest trailer. The facial animation is very 'simple'. It could be an artistic choice of course. I myself am quite excited for this game but i can see some people not liking the looks of it.

I thought you were mentioning gameplay. Yeah the way the faces moves is clearly a artistic choice, reminds a bit of Tearaway.

OG_Thrills

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, low 70s is mediocre but it's hardly the disasterpiece that people are making this out to be and overreacting to.

We need to see what those sales numbers look like before anyone claims it's a disasterpiece. I checked all the EU amazon sites and it's still the top selling video games at #1 and has been for some time. Another game came out recently and sold less than my local rappers mixtape so we have to put things into context. I don't think the "bomba" sentiment we're seeing here is moving through the casual audience with the same type of gusto.

If at all.

SDR-UK

Oct 27, 2017
Shame about Days Gone review scores (not that a 70+ is bad, just when compared against other WWS games) and as predicted, the review thread is absolutely crazy. There were some glimmers of brilliance in the myriad of footage they shared pre-release, like the weather systems and the horde gameplay, so it is a shame to see the game isn't as good as it should be.

Looking forward to hearing the FY Earnings, maybe get a glimpse into what line-up we can expect to see this fiscal year.

Anybody think we'll get any studio acquisition announcements? I know it's a very MS thing but I've gotta believe that Sony are shopping around, albeit on a much lesser scale.

Also still #Team2019 on TLOU Pt. II. Sept. 26th. Believe.

DangerMouse

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly, I don't care about the controversy, I kinda want to pre-order Days Gone due to my unrelenting excitement for it. It won't be God of War but it doesn't need to be. I just want a fun game with a cool story and characters.
If it excites you and is the kind of game you like then I think you should get it.
I still picked up Left Alive due to its MGS stealth gunplay plus mecha combo despite the reviews and it's pretty cool if jumpy in difficulty, despite the harsh reviews.

Also, Jones, who also tends to like these kind of open world games, in the EZA review, at least to my ear, reiterated a couple of times that there were aspects of the game it sounded like he really liked a lot and I'm guessing that's what bumped it to a 7.5 over a 7 for him despite the problems and glitches he ran into.

Concrete Genie has that artsy fartsy indie feel that critics love going for it so expect an extra 5-10 points on metacritic :D

Not really... maybe?

On a serious note, I'm incredibly excited for Concrete Genie and think it looks brilliant!
I could see the more mainstream favoring reviewers docking it points though for the same reason lol.

Either way I can't wait, Concrete Genie looks awesome.

Last edited:

Shairi

Aug 27, 2018

They are growing right now as we speak. My guess is they will be as big as Sucker Punch soon. That's the goal.
Bend Studio had 60 developers in its first Days Gone years. They are around 110-130 now. Let's see what they will do for the PS5. My guess is Days Gone 2 :)

Opie was the mvp. And yeah, that's also what i expect.
I still hope they try something else. I'm just not a big fan of zombie settings in general. A high fantasy game with this dynamic weather system would look so stunning.

Andrew-Ryan

Banned
Dec 4, 2018
This whole Days Gone situation is making me wary of how critics are going to review games from now on. They seem harsher and more sensitive to certain things than they used to. Crossing my fingers for Days Gone to sell gangbusters (don'twant Bend to close down). I want to see grow Bend Studio and get the attention and recognition they deserve. :(

From what has been said it seems to be a bloated, repetitive, barren/boring open world game with a poorly paced and structured story and technically issues. How is that "harsh" or overly "sensitive"?

TheModestGun

Banned
Dec 5, 2017
From what has been said it seems to be a bloated, repetitive, barren/boring open world game with a poorly paced and structured story and technically issues. How is that "harsh" or overly "sensitive"?
Yeah in select reviews, sure. I've stated it before though, 38 of the reviews were an 80+ 32 were 70 or below (with lots of 70's) and 11 reviews in between those two.

More critics thought it was good to great than critics thought it was mediocre to bad, by a pretty large amount.

So I kind of think that people are zeroing on the most negative criticisms because negativity is what sticks in people's minds the most. That and there are some bad faith actors that have an axe to grind.

Bundy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Opie was the mvp. And yeah, that's also what i expect.
I still hope they try something else. I'm just not a big fan of zombie settings in general. A high fantasy game with this dynamic weather system would look so stunning.
Ey, another SOA fan ;D You rock! And yes, Opie was 'da man!

DangerMouse

Oct 25, 2017
Shame about The Order. I think a sequel with improvements like Uncharted 2 could have done wonders for the franchise. The Order had a lot of similarities to Drake's Fortune in terms of the overall game (a short cinematic TPS). Obviously it had a better story/characters which could have been the saving grace for The Order had they done a better job with the writing.
They did nail the gunplay:
giphy.gif
Yup, I really wish they'd get to flesh out the gameplay, interaction, and length side with a second outing since I loved a ton of the framework they created in the visuals, art style, steampunk knights vs paranormal setting and type of story, the characters we got, and the feel of the gunplay.

Also damn do the graphics still hold up. The game still looks gorgeous.
Probably unlikely though :(

LastNac

Oct 30, 2017
Yup, I really wish they'd get to flesh out the gameplay, interaction, and length side with a second outing since I loved a ton of the framework they created in the visuals, art style, steampunk knights vs paranormal setting and type of story, the characters we got, and the feel of the gunplay.

Also damn do the graphics still hold up. The game still looks gorgeous.
Probably unlikely though :(
Thoughts on the aspect ratio?

N.47H.4N

Oct 27, 2017
Days Gone first week will sell way more than a lot of beloved franchises here and the meltdowns will be fun.

peter42O

Alt Account
Banned
Apr 21, 2019
Walking Dead + Sons of Anarchy = still hyped!!! Four hours to go for me!!!

My only concern is that with the free content at the end of June, does that mean the three DLC expansions have been cancelled? I wanted to play a DLC as Boozer damn it!!! :(

Bundy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Days Gone first week will sell way more than a lot of beloved franchises here and the meltdowns will be fun.
Oh pretty sure it will. And yes, it's gonna be fun ;)
Walking Dead + Sons of Anarchy = still hyped!!! Four hours to go for me!!!

My only concern is that with the free content at the end of June, does that mean the three DLC expansions have been cancelled? I wanted to play a DLC as Boozer damn it!!! :(
Dang. 4 hours? Where do you live?
And about that DLC, we don't know anything. Maybe it's gonna be 3 smaller expansions like for Spider-Man, maybe they decided to do 1 big one. Let's see :)

DangerMouse

Oct 25, 2017
Thoughts on the aspect ratio?
I actually didn't mind it. At first I remember thinking it was kind of interesting having slightly more side view of the environments and as a big movie watcher that was cool, but overall once I started playing I didn't really even notice the super wide or black bars much anymore so I'm not sure it helped or hurt, also perhaps since I've never really minded black bars on movies either. It may have helped that I was already on a decently sized TV though.

Last edited:

Kuro

Oct 25, 2017
I think reviews will hurt Days Gone legs but it should still be fairly profitable in the long run for Sony. I just hope they don't green light a sequel and Bend do something new that isn't so story focused. Something more gamey if you will.

N.47H.4N

Oct 27, 2017
Sony made a mistake with Days Gone, called it years ago. Shu puts wayyy more stock in Western IP's, and flat out ignores Japanese ones (Gravity Rush 2) unless they are by Fromsoftware. It's pathetic. Could've secured 3rd party studio titles on PS4, Nier: Automata, Yakuza, Nioh and more. Shu would've probably rejected Ghost of Tsushima if it was from a Japanese studio.

If Day's Gone sales don't match, Sony should strongly consider shutting down Bend. Never has been a highly talented studio.

Days Gone will sell way more than those niche japoneses games. (Nier: Automata, Yakuza, Nioh,Gravity Rush 2)

Shark

Oct 28, 2017
Raleigh, NC
Some here are going to be really surprised at how Days Gone sells apparently. Its biggest competition this weekend isn't another game but it comes out at a smart time (no competition until May 14), has a lot of marketing behind it and appeals to a wide range of consumers.

Oct 27, 2017
Sony made a mistake with Days Gone, called it years ago. Shu puts wayyy more stock in Western IP's, and flat out ignores Japanese ones (Gravity Rush 2) unless they are by Fromsoftware. It's pathetic. Could've secured 3rd party studio titles on PS4, Nier: Automata, Yakuza, Nioh and more. Shu would've probably rejected Ghost of Tsushima if it was from a Japanese studio.

If Day's Gone sales don't match, Sony should strongly consider shutting down Bend. Never has been a highly talented studio.
Why secure 3rd party japanese games? Most japanese game lovers will buy on PS4 anyway. Some devs dont even bother bringing it on other platforms.

Status
Not open for further replies.