• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BrickArts295

GOTY Tracking Thread Master
Oct 26, 2017
Thoughts on the aspect ratio?
Pretty confident the aspect ratio would have been gone with the sequel. I know it was used for both aesthetic and technical purposes (kinda like The Evil Within), but I assume RAD would have reverted back to fullscreen with a future game. Personally it was fine given the type of game it was (I did play RE4 with bards so it kinda reminded me of that XD).

Sharpeye

Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
I do wonder how consumer word and mouth will play out. It did wonders for sea of thieves and state of decay 2. It will certainly open big and the worries of Bend being shut down are unwarranted. Seems that they simply lacked the manpower and organization to effectively tackle a AAA game. A problem they hopefully won't have next time.

peter42O

Alt Account
Banned
Apr 21, 2019
Dang. 4 hours? Where do you live? And about that DLC, we don't know anything. Maybe it's gonna be 3 smaller expansions like for Spider-Man, maybe they decided to do 1 big one. Let's see :)

New York. Can pick up the game tonight at 9pm EST at GameStop. Woohoo!!!

Yeah, have to wait and see. Still hoping!!! :)

SilverX

Jan 21, 2018
Fine, because I'm a huge Jak & Daxter fan. But making sequels for "foreign IPs" isn't a thing anymore for Bend Studio. It's either Days Gone or a new IP. They are doing their own stuff now.

Glad to see there would be an interest, but I think that is a decent route to consider for them.

I mean I commend Sony for being so gung-ho about new IPs, but I don't see the need for every studio to do one. The fact that even Bend was reported to be working on another new IP last year before they even finished Days Gone was really bizarre.

Maybe they'd be better suited for reinvigorating an established series

orochi91

Oct 26, 2017
Canada
I just want Bend and Sony to move past DG as soon as possible.

It still makes no sense to me that they thought biker culture + zombies was the best direction to take.

7 years wasted for this.

Bundy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Glad to see there would be an interest, but I think that is a decent route to consider for them.

I mean I commend Sony for being so gung-ho about new IPs, but I don't see the need for every studio to do one. The fact that even Bend was reported to be working on another new IP last year before they even finished Days Gone was really bizarre.

Maybe they'd be better suited for reinvigorating an established series
Yeah, it was nonsense. Bend Studio is a one project studio. And I don't think they are better suited for foreign IPs. They got a new studio and are still growing. Soon ~150 devs. They want to become an AAA studio and they are now. They wanna do their own stuff and that's good. New IPs are always welcome!
Sony should hand the J&D IP to a smaller-ish studio like they did with Ready at Dawn, years ago, for God of War or Daxter. It worked ;) And yes, RAD is a huge AAA studio now.
Ah, okay. Gotcha. Hope you enjoy the game as much as I will. :)
Oh I will ;) As a huge singleplayer games fan and Sons of Anarchy fan.... I'M READY!
Days Gone will probably sell 2 or 3 million copies and that's it, zero legs on this one with these reviews.
Days Gone will sell way more than that. ~5 million worldwide.

BrickArts295

GOTY Tracking Thread Master
Oct 26, 2017
Days Gone will probably sell 2 or 3 million copies and that's it, zero legs on this one with these reviews.
You underestimate the power of Sony marketing/discounts. Give the game a nice of discounts with some DLC support all throughout the rest of the year and the legs will keep going all the until Black Friday/Christmas where I can assume people will get for like $20-30.

Kage Maru

Oct 27, 2017
I think Days Gone will do just fine. It's not going to be Spider-Man levels of success but considering the size of the team and how well Sony is pushing it, I'm not worried. Still looking forward to playing it tonight.

peter42O

Alt Account
Banned
Apr 21, 2019
Oh I will ;) As a huge singleplayer games fan and Sons of Anarchy fan.... I'M READY!

Same for me. Loved Sons of Anarchy. Ryan Hurst (Opie) was my favorite character even though I liked everyone except for Jax's wife as I was heavily favored towards actress Drea De Matteo. Hehe. Hurst was on Bates Motel and Kim Coates was recently part of Netflix's Bad Blood which was real good. Enjoyed all three shows.

I just need some kind of police drama game that feels like The Shield and I'll be a super stoked!!! :)

Oct 25, 2017

It still makes no sense to me that they thought biker culture + zombies was the best direction to take.

7 years wasted for this.
When we first heard about Sony Bends next game it was called "Dead Don't Ride" by Shinobi. The way he described the game sounded like something out of Ghost Rider. I was really excited for that kind of game, but at E3 2016 it was just an open world zombie game with hordes. And the name was called Days Gone. I immediately lost interest, but at least the hordes were intriguing.

Elandyll

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

7 years wasted for this.
If you look back at 2013-2014, it was peak The Walking Dead obsession and
twd-daryl-bike-182628.jpg

How do you not understand Bend and Sony thought it was a great idea?

As for how the game will do and its legacy, we shall see.

Andrew-Ryan

Banned
Dec 4, 2018
Yeah in select reviews, sure. I've stated it before though, 38 of the reviews were an 80+ 32 were 70 or below (with lots of 70's) and 11 reviews in between those two.

More critics thought it was good to great than critics thought it was mediocre to bad, by a pretty large amount.

So I kind of think that people are zeroing on the most negative criticisms because negativity is what sticks in people's minds the most. That and there are some bad faith actors that have an axe to grind.
I guess the 72 metascore from 93 reviews and the 72 opencritic score from 84 reviews are both sites run by "bad faith actors that have an axe to grind."

If someone wants to say that in their personal opinion Days Gone is a good, great, excellent, AMAZING etc.. game then fine. I wont disagree with you. But if we're talking about the opinion of critics then the consensus is it reviewed as a below average game. That's an objective fact.

Bundy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Same for me. Loved Sons of Anarchy. Ryan Hurst (Opie) was my favorite character even though I liked everyone except for Jax's wife as I was heavily favored towards actress Drea De Matteo. Hehe. Hurst was on Bates Motel and Kim Coates was recently part of Netflix's Bad Blood which was real good. Enjoyed all three shows.

I just need some kind of police drama game that feels like The Shield and I'll be a super stoked!!! :)
I really liked Gemma in SOA. I wonder why..... ;D

ArkhamFantasy

Oct 25, 2017
I guess the 72 metascore from 93 reviews and the 72 opencritic score from 84 reviews are both sites run by "bad faith actors that have an axe to grind."

If someone wants to say that in their personal opinion Days Gone is a good, great, excellent, AMAZING etc.. game then fine. I wont disagree with you. But if we're talking about the opinion of critics then the consensus is it reviewed as a below average game. That's an objective fact.

Gonna have to emphasis this post because it's very easy to make excuses for why your favorite games don't score as well as you'd expect. I've done the same thing in the past.

There's no conspiracy among game reviewers to screw over your favorite games, they post their honest opinions. nothing more, nothing less. The success of Sony's AAA games the last 2 years inflated alot of peoples expectations for the rest of their games, even though a studio like Bend going straight from Vita>PS4 was never going to be able to replicate the type of success that Naughty Dog and co have seen.

LastNac

Oct 30, 2017
Pretty confident the aspect ratio would have been gone with the sequel. I know it was used for both aesthetic and technical purposes (kinda like The Evil Within), but I assume RAD would have reverted back to fullscreen with a future game. Personally it was fine given the type of game it was (I did play RE4 with bards so it kinda reminded me of that XD).
I would hope it would stay, personally I loved it.

Kage Maru

Oct 27, 2017
I don't understand why anything with zombies in it needs to be frowned upon. I understood it more last gen when even military shooters like COD were putting zombies in their games. However we really haven't seen that many zombie games this gen. So I would be totally down for Bend to have a second stab at the IP of they truly wanted to continue with it.

LastNac

Oct 30, 2017
I actually didn't mind it. At first I remember thinking it was kind of interesting having slightly more side view of the environments and as a big movie watcher that was cool, but overall once I started playing I didn't really even notice the super wide or black bars much anymore so I'm not sure it helped or hurt, also perhaps since I've never really minded black bars on movies either. It may have helped that I was already on a decently sized TV though.
Absolutely agree. I wish more games used it tbh

Bundy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So 72 is now below average, please. 72 is above good game and has always been.
A 7/10 game is good. So some of the "a lot of games are 7/10 lately. So it's below average these days" comments I see is hilarious imho.
7/10 is a good score. Not very good, not great, but good. So there are a lot of 7/10 games out there? Good! :) But hey, whatever ;)
You may have to consider that Sony's average has been 8.5/9.
Just shows you how damn good they are these days :D

NediarPT88

Oct 29, 2017
Remember when Aokiji said we were going to see TLOU2 before E3?

Kojima just said this on his Tribeca talk:

Maybe Sony will do something soon?

Status
Not open for further replies.