• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

djkimothy

Oct 27, 2017
This is really good. His talk about the problems of having to load the files straight from the HDD made me think that they must have been one of the great advocates for the need for an SSD on PS5.

It's crazy the trickery that needs to go on to make the whole thing work. The amount of assets that need to be loaded up and the limitations they face in trying to unload everything and display on screen. It's witchcraft.

WillySJ3

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Yup, it's shit. How can they keep thinking rationally while working 14-hour days? I just don't believe they can be fully productive all that time since game development needs a lot of thought process.
I used to work 14-16 hours a day, for 5-6 months every year. Some jobs you have to crunch, even if is not a mandatory thing.

Whittaker

Jun 21, 2018
I just think, as a producer, there's a perverse incentive to allow crunch.

If it was legally mandated to pay all hours over 8 in a day at 1.5x their salary converted into wages, I wonder how many studios would suddenly find other ways of scheduling projects to not require crunch and quietly drop how it's an artistically necessary part of development.

If it's so necessary, IMHO, pay for it. Directly. None of these indirect shell games with bonuses (or time off in fallow periods).

Screen Looker

Nov 17, 2018
Yup, it's shit. How can they keep thinking rationally while working 14-hour days? I just don't believe they can be fully productive all that time since game development needs a lot of thought process.

I've done product development in a customer facing role. Let me tell you, after a certain point, you're just rolling through it. I was regularly pulling like 12-16 hour days. Wake up get in at 6, leave at 10 trying to manage all that was needed to be done.

It's impossible to get back into the head space once you leave it, but it's definitley possible to get into it and get through it.

That said, it's an inevitability because literally so much of your day is just meeting with people to get through the problems they're running into, then you have to figure out the solutions then spend all the next day fixing it between meetings about more problems.

It's impossible to avoid crunch or it's equivalent in most areas of life whether education, software, law, etc. eventually, you just don't have enough time. You mostly want to minimize the periods of how long it lasts and you want it to be organized. You want deadlines.

That's probably where the attitude adjustments need to come into play. I watched the Grounded documentary the other day and it's just at the end where they talk about Crunch as this beautiful things you're just like "alright man." I get it because of what comes out, but there's so many ways to avoid it for as long as they experience it in games.

Oct 27, 2017
State of Play after E3 is very good for Sony. This way they can plan release dates more stratigically after their competition does it.

Zukkoyaki

Oct 25, 2017
They should do the next SoP in late June or July. Usually a dead zone for game news being stuck between E3 and Gamescom.

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
We expect nothing at all around E3. Just like Sony's Shawn Layden said. If they had something for a 45 minute State of Play, they would not have left E3 this year.

They're not doing E3 because they don't have new megatons to drop, but no reason they can't do a SoP in June to update us on the titles we already know about. If one of the Big 3 is due out this year then make that the big 'Holy shit' moment of the SoP and fill in the rest with updates on things like a release date for Dreams, Concrete Genie and Iron Man VR. Then toss in maybe a couple of other new game announcements since we have plenty of rumors that there's still more unannounced stuff like Demon Souls remaster, Ratchet and Clank, maybe even Ape Escape. Then on top of that include some of the games Sony has marketing deals for.

I dunno if it'd be 45 minutes, but there's certainly enough potential content to give us a meaty SoP that, at the same time might have been seen as a weak E3 conference.

Bundy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Not during E3 but I do believe the next State of Play will have announcements from the Big Three for the summer. Maybe July or August?
Yeah I expect a SoP around September.
They're not doing E3 because they don't have new megatons to drop, but no reason they can't do a SoP in June to update us on the titles we already know about. If one of the Big 3 is due out this year then make that the big 'Holy shit' moment of the SoP and fill in the rest with updates on things like a release date for Dreams, Concrete Genie and Iron Man VR. Then toss in maybe a couple of other new game announcements since we have plenty of rumors that there's still more unannounced stuff like Demon Souls remaster, Ratchet and Clank, maybe even Ape Escape. Then on top of that include some of the games Sony has marketing deals for.

I dunno if it'd be 45 minutes, but there's certainly enough potential content to give us a meaty SoP that, at the same time might have been seen as a weak E3 conference.
They didn't have any megatons last year either and we still got an E3 Sony presser ;) I'm pretty sure we will never get a "meaty" SoP because that's not what these shows are. I think they will always be short. 10 to 25 minutes.
So yeah, we will get some short 10 - 25 minute State of Plays every know and then. More short ones than one big/long one.
More updates? Another State of Play? Yes, around September is my guess. But not a "meaty" one. The next "meaty" Sony thing will be a PSX later this year imo.

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
Yeah I expect a SoP around September.

They didn't have any megatons last year either and we still got an E3 Sony presser ;) I'm pretty sure we will never get a "meaty" SoP because that's not what these shows are. I think they will always be short. 10 to 25 minutes.
So yeah, we will get some short 10 - 25 minute State of Plays every know and then. More short ones than one big/long one.
More updates? Another State of Play? Yes, around September is my guess. But not a "meaty" one. The next "meaty" Sony thing will be a PSX later this year imo.

That's what I mean. We could get something that's considered meaty for a SoP but if they showed the same thing at an E3 press conference it would be seen as a weak showing. These things are relative to their respective formats.

As for last year, well the lack of new megatons is likely why they went with the deep dive format of the show. They've now done that, so that leaves them with little to no megatons and they can't do more deep dives at another E3 for the same games.

Personally I'm sticking with the prediction of a June SoP. The fact that Kojima is prepping a trailer and said he hopes to talk more about DS in about a month is strong evidence that something is coming. Plus if Naughty Dog is deep into crunch mode then there's a pretty good chance they're ready to show a new trailer for the game.

Bundy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
That's what I mean. We could get something that's considered meaty for a SoP but if they showed the same thing at an E3 press conference it would be seen as a weak showing. These things are relative to their respective formats.

As for last year, well the lack of new megatons is likely why they went with the deep dive format of the show. They've now done that, so that leaves them with little to no megatons and they can't do more deep dives at another E3 for the same games.

Personally I'm sticking with the prediction of a June SoP. The fact that Kojima is prepping a trailer and said he hopes to talk more about DS in about a month is strong evidence that something is coming. Plus if Naughty Dog is deep into crunch mode then there's a pretty good chance they're ready to show a new trailer for the game.
Yeah, they are prepping some trailers for TLOU2 and Death Stranding. Be you won't see them together in one State of Play. Like I said, there won't be a "meaty" one. I'm pretty sure TLOU2 will get a State of Play, together with some smaller games/trailers/indies. And Death Stranding will gets it's own State of Play, together with some smaller games/trailers/indies. I think around September. Let's wait and see :)

Scipio

Apr 18, 2019
The brazilian youtuber Totoro (souce, at 9:00) noticed something new in the God of War documentary. At the moment they put the disc in the dev kit, the camera focuses on the screen and there are two PSP games unannounced for ps4 there: Patapon 2 and MediEvil Ressurrection.

F4r0_Atak

Oct 31, 2017
Home
The brazilian youtuber Totoro (souce, at 9:00) noticed something new in the God of War documentary. At the moment they put the disc in the dev kit, the camera focuses on the screen and there are two PSP games unannounced for ps4 there: Patapon 2 and MediEvil Ressurrection.
Well, Patapon 2 was already announced to be coming, but we never got an update on it.
Source: https://blog.us.playstation.com/201...perience-2017-more-announcements-and-updates/

Last edited:

F4r0_Atak

Oct 31, 2017
Home
Yeah, he actually said that, MediEvil Ressurection is the unannounced game. My mistake.
Not sure why this game though. Even the original devs of the MediEvil games didn't like the changes of the PSP remake. From all the cool Sony exclusives on PSP, why did they choose to remaster this game too? We are already getting a proper remake with the PS4 release due for October. Jeanne D'Arc, Killzone Liberation and Resistance Retribution would have been better choices. :(

aspiring

Oct 25, 2017
Maybe that was just the tile they used for hiding the remake? I mean no point in having a remaster when a remake is coming.

Deleted member 43220

May 11, 2018

No, MediEvil Resurrection isn't coming.
At the begin, they wanted to release a porting of it and Then, after they saw the reactions of the fans, they decided to remake it.

Bundy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Not sure why this game though. Even the original devs of the MediEvil games didn't like the changes of the PSP remake. From all the cool Sony exclusives on PSP, why did they choose to remaster this game too? We are already getting a proper remake with the PS4 release due for October. Jeanne D'Arc, Killzone Liberation and Resistance Retribution would have been better choices. :(
.... it is never coming. We will get the remake instead. The stuff you have seen in the documentary is years old. They clearly canceled the Medievil Resurrection remaster, because we fans told them again and again on twitter that we hate it. Now we're getting the remake ;)

Turkoop

Oct 25, 2017
Cologne, GERMANY

Loudninja

Oct 27, 2017
For the new page some of Days Gone total sales we know:
Japan 160.183 - 3 weeks
UK 110,000 - 3 weeks
Spain 38,000 - 2 weeks
Germany 100K 1 week

Fantastic Germany sales

Last edited:

ToddBonzalez

The Pyramids? That's nothing compared to RDR2
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I just think, as a producer, there's a perverse incentive to allow crunch.

If it was legally mandated to pay all hours over 8 in a day at 1.5x their salary converted into wages, I wonder how many studios would suddenly find other ways of scheduling projects to not require crunch and quietly drop how it's an artistically necessary part of development.

If it's so necessary, IMHO, pay for it. Directly. None of these indirect shell games with bonuses (or time off in fallow periods).
Sony policy is to pay 1.5x for OT past 8 hrs and 2x for OT past 12 hrs. Most junior and mid level employees get paid an hourly rate instead of a salary for this reason.

TheModestGun

Banned
Dec 5, 2017

Don't necessarily agree with the pr friendly part. Weird take, they were pretty damn open about a lot

His statement literally contradicts itself. How can it be "PR Friendly" while simultaneously showing the deep amount of sacrifice it takes. They literally dedicate a section to the studio head holding back tears saying she doesn't want to answer whether the sacrifice is worth it or not at the moment.

TheRulingRing

Banned
Apr 6, 2018

Don't necessarily agree with the pr friendly part. Weird take, they were pretty damn open about a lot

By PR friendly I think he means things like ignoring talking about crunch in too much detail. I see what he means tbh, and I thought the same thing when I watched it.

Don't agree with the eyeroll inducing "unsustainable AAA industry" comment though.

Brotherhood93

Oct 28, 2017

Of course PS/SSM aren't going to release a documentary that portrays them in a negative light but I agree that it didn't seem particularly PR friendly. Schreier has, quite rightly, been very strongly pushing the idea of unionisation and talking about the "unsustainable" industry for a while now though and it may colour his opinion. He probably just wanted a bigger focus on the crunch and pressures involved but I don't feel like it glossed over the sacrifices made either. Just like people who wanted more focus on the actual development of certain parts of the game there is only so much time for each aspect in a 2 hour doc.

Status
Not open for further replies.