• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Omnistalgic

self-requested temp ban
Oct 27, 2017
NJ
It is bad.

Driveclub was a shambles, and the rest of the AAA games there are primarily single player with MP tacked on. The VR games never caught on and are (from Sony's POV) just inexpensive little projects.

Of those only GTS is a great example.

The MP will need a lot more content than the MP of TLOU1 (and even UC4) to excel as a standalone.
Indeed but with the large success of the game it's worth investing in if the MP is even somewhat popular.

ThaNotoriousSOD

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
SOCOM has A LOT of potential in the service model. SOCOM 1 and 2 most of the people I knew just wanted to be milked dry - more maps, guns, skins. It was an e-sport game before it was really a thing. SOCOMBattles > GameBattles > MLG, most people don't realize that. Dance emotes? The community was already doing them 16 years ago now. Skins, sometimes unconventional for the theme? Already used to it.

A true sequel to SOCOM 2, small-scale CQC with 8v8 matches, asymmetrical maps with dedicated modes.

I still get text messages from people I used to play with over a decade ago asking if I know of any SOCOM news since I follow game news and used to know some people with inside information. The thirst is still there.

I'm really surprised that they're not considering this approach for SOCOM. It makes so much sense, it wouldn't compete with BF/COD/Destiny and offers a really unique tactical experience. Being the counter-strike of consoles sounds like a terrific idea to me, and they've seen in the past when done right and not trying to imitate COD/BF that they're very succesful. Everything was going great for SOCOM until they left that formula.

Seeing RB6 Siege have so much sucess this gen should atleast make them realize there are plenty of console gamers looking for a tactical shooter MP experience.

Sarobi

Oct 25, 2017
There isn't a tactical third person eSport shooter out there (or at least not one that makes enough noise on Twitch), so Socom could very much work for them if they marketed it right and actually put effort into setting up the competitive scene for it.

Sense

Oct 25, 2017
If Sony has the audacity to put out a AAA multiplayer game, then they absolutely owe us a AAA JRPG.
One has the potential to be a multimillion seller with a long tail and constant revenue if the reviews are great and the other has a huge barrier to even break a million without an established fanbase like ff, dq(mostly in Japan), kh etc... Even critical darlings like persona or nier only reached like 3 or 4 million after numerous sales.

Quintus

Enlightened
Oct 26, 2017
If Sony has the audacity to put out a AAA multiplayer game, then they absolutely owe us a AAA JRPG.
Although I don't have any problem with a AAA Multiplayer game(PS All Star Brawler & PS All Star Kart please) but please Sony make a big scale AAA JRPG - the fanbase is literally begging for it at this point.

One has the potential to be a multimillion seller with a long tail and constant revenue if the reviews are great and the other has a huge barrier to even break a million without an established fanbase like ff, dq(mostly in Japan), kh etc... Even critical darlings like persona or nier only reached like 3 or 4 million after numerous sales.
If reviews are great and the scale is grand like the PS1 era Final Fantasy's and with Sony marketing machine it will not have any problem clearing 6 Million+. It will expand the market in Asia as well.

OP
OP
JuanLatino

JuanLatino

Cerny’s little helper
Oct 25, 2017

its not like there are many AAA JRPG Games out there to compete with Final Fantasy or Kingdom Hearts tough.
Persona & Nier are not AAA Games, which is why 3/4 Million sales are incredible given their budget.

So you either make a mid budget JRPG Game that needs fantastic scores & have great word of mouth to do well overseas....or you make a AAA Game with high end graphics, to reach that western audience.

Look at Projekt Awakening from CyGames

top_ss_img_01_off.png

JRPG doesn't mean that you need Anime Stylized Characters made for that JP Audience

It's not gonna happen tough. So that dream is dead for me

Oct 25, 2017
its not like there are many AAA JRPG Games out there to compete with Final Fantasy or Kingdom Hearts tough.
Persona & Nier are not AAA Games, which is why 3/4 Million sales are incredible given their budget.

So you either make a mid budget JRPG Game that needs to score sensationally well, have great word of mouth, to do well overseas....or you make a AAA Game with high end graphics, to reach that western audience.

Look at Projekt Awakening from CyGames

top_ss_img_01_off.png

JRPG doesn't mean that you need Anime Stylized Characters made for that JP Audience

It's not gonna happen tough. So that dream is dead for me
God bless Cy games btw. Anime style and Western focused style JRPG. Hnnnng plz be good

silva1991

Oct 26, 2017
With this genius way of thinking, they might as well shutdown Japan studio and never fund another From and Ueda game again in this future. Why should they when they can just make western AAA games that sell 10+ million copies right?

Sense

Oct 25, 2017
With this genius way of thinking, they might as well shutdown Japan studio and never fund another From and Ueda game again in this future. Why should they when they can just make western AAA games that sell 10+ million copies right?
The point was that a big budget AAA JRPG is high risk. It has nothing to do with Japan studios making their quirky games or funding from software games. They should keep doing those and diversify their lineup. A big budget AAA multiplayer focused game is also risky but the reward is very high too and the potential market is bigger too.

Toriko

Dec 29, 2017
I am okay with a AAA JRPG as long as its not turn based trash. I am not playing a combat game where NPC and MC look like idiots taking turns to hit each other. A AAA JRPG with real time combat like Dragon's dogma.. give that to me now.

Bundy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I am okay with a AAA JRPG as long as its not turn based trash. I am not playing a combat game where NPC and MC look like idiots taking turns to hit each other. A AAA JRPG with real time combat like Dragon's dogma.. give that to me now.
I am okay with an AAA JRPG as long as its not another action-based RPG. I am not playing a combat game where NPC and MC look like idiots hitting each other like in a Devil May Cry action-adventure. An AAA JRPG with a turn-based combat system like in Final Fantasy 7-9 or Breath of Fire... give that to me now. There is a reason why JRPGs and the Final Fantasy series got worse and worse after the PSOne generation.

A big turn-based JRPG. Yep, give that to me now!

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017
I am okay with an AAA JRPG as long as its not another action-based RPG. I am not playing a combat game where NPC and MC look like idiots hitting each other like in a Devil May Cry action-adventure. An AAA JRPG with a turn-based combat system like in Final Fantasy 7-9 or Breath of Fire... give that to me now. There is a reason why JRPGs and the Final Fantasy series got worse and worse after the PSOne generation.

A big turn-based JRPG. Yep, give that to me now!

Sony won't waste there time on a turn base RPG unless it's mobile.
Aside from Pokemon they don't sell enough to be worth the ROI .
In fact even in Japan they moving away from turn base the bigger the budgets get .

Bundy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Aside from Pokemon they don't sell enough to be worth the ROI.
Almost everything that Japan Studio does (no From Software collabs) doesn't sell enough to be worth the ROI ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
But they keep developing niche games.
In fact even in Japan they moving away from turn base the bigger the budgets get.
Yeah I see that since the PS2 gen started. It's why most of the JRPGs are trash since then ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017
Almost everything that Japan Studio does (no From Software collabs) doesn't sell enough to be worth the ROI ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
But they keep developing niche games.

Yeah I see that since the PS2 gen started. It's why most of the JRPGs are trash since then ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

That is why Sony Japan now does mostly VR and help out with other stuff .
So for Sony it worth the ROI to help there VR platform .

Elfstruck

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I hope Sony doesn't waste 1st party studio talent on multiplayer games, just make a deal with 3rd party developers
These kinds of thinking is just so outdated. A good game is a good game, regardless. Just because you don't enjoy it, there's plenty of other people who do. This is like saying ND isn't allowed to make an fps game.

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017
Japan Studio does both. VR and standard (niche) games. So they can create niche JRPGs too once in a while.

The last niche games they did was in 2017 since then it's been VR .
Truth is i don't see that changing anytime soon unless Cerny does a small game for PS5.
But you never know and i could be wrong and they could give Toyama some budget but i don't see him making a RPG .
Thing is Sony team most of the time to get there JRPGs but it seem they in no rush to that unless it's From.

Rodjer

Self-requested ban.
Jan 28, 2018
AAA JRPGs have a limited audience, if Sony wants to sell 10+ million copies they need their "Skyrim" or "Fallout" or "The Witcher".

In this gen we only got 2 AAA JRPGs, KH3 selling 5 million copies on 2 platforms and FF XV selling 9 million copies on 3 platforms, making an AAA JRPG with an anime artstyle and being also a new IP is not the perfect way to secure >10 million copies. If Sony can make a big open world game with character creation, actual choices, different endings they can have a hit, easily.

Modest_Modsoul

Living the Dreams
Oct 29, 2017
First-party JRPGs don't actually have to be like full blown FF or Kingdom Hearts from the get go.

I mean, they could do it if they wanted to, but will it be worth it in return? The budget? The risks? The sales?

Let's say, hypothetically, Persona 5 was a first-party game, selling 2+ millions are enough in my opinion.

In the future, they could be improved, bringing new fans & more sales.

But nope, unfortunately it's not a first-party game let alone exclusive.

The current "efforts" we got are just mobile with no localization whatsoever...

Saint-14

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
First-party JRPGs don't actually have to be like full blown FF or Kingdom Hearts from the get go.

I mean, they could do it if they wanted to, but will it be worth it in return? The budget? The risks? The sales?

Let's say, hypothetically, Persona 5 was a first-party game, selling 2+ millions are enough in my opinion.

GR 1 and 2? It's not like Sony didn't try.

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
Speaking of firesprite, they are the ones making the AAA VR RPG based of a globally recognized franchise right?
I would love if they are making a next gen horizon VR game

Nightengale

Oct 26, 2017
Malaysia
When Shawn Layden last quoted a JRPG, he mentioned Kingdom Hearts.

If Sony does a JRPG that is actively promoted as one, I don't see as any less of an effort than their major titles.

GR1/2 are neat titles - but they fall under the scope of "unique Sony titles" and was never really positioned as flagship-tier in how they're marketed and positioned.

DHR54

Oh well.
Oct 26, 2017
Canada
I just threw this out on my Twitter and for the sake of discussion I wanted to expand my thought and post here.

It's a post born of insomnia and meant for those of us who came out of The Last of Us with genuine melancholy. Last of us spoilers I guess, mostly just speculation. But also I have been really emotionally hung up on the ending of TLOU so it's based on that...

What the fuck am I going to be feeling when NaughtyDog makes me make Ellie Kill Joel? Will I be deviated? Will I be relieved? Will I be numb? I can't bring to imagine how much this game is going to fuck with emotions, with my heart. 💔 There is Z E R O chance Joel makes it through this game alive. And for the record no I don't think he is going to be infected when it happens. I fully expect him to be vilified. Just my feelings based solely on the original game's ending and the silhouette of Joel in one of the early trailers for TLUS2.

Sorry. Late night ramblings and my own melancholy feelings...

Rodjer

Self-requested ban.
Jan 28, 2018

Tornak

Feb 7, 2018
I vastly prefer SP games (to the point where I don't really get excited about online-only ones until I actually have a chance to play them, whether there's an open beta or not), but Sony investing in MP games is good. They should diversify and obviously want to know if they can get a GaaS IP going strong.

I just hope it's not Killzone, though. Nothing against it (really enjoyed 2 and the Liberation is one of my favourite PSP games by far), but something new is always more exciting.

Nerun

Oct 30, 2017
I'm still happy, that there are companies around that work on SP games or games with SP focus at least. While I'm totally fine to play coop and I really like them, I usually don't care for MP focus or MP only games without coop these days. Maybe it's because of my age or I don't know, still I spend close to 400 hours in PUBG, but like 390 with friends in a team, so doesn't count as MP only ;)

I would be happy to see some games with coop options from Sony Studios in the future and I know that maybe there is more money to make with MP and GaaS titles, but I still love story singleplayer games, even if they are "shorter" at times. Just started playing A Plague Tale yesterday and I really love the setting, the characters and game overall so far. I was so happy with God of War, Detroid, Horizon Zero Dawn and finished Days Gone as well. I also enjoyed AC: Odyssey and Division 2 for that matter, but I don't want Sony to go all MP or online games focus in the near future as well. Sure I could see a Days Gone 2 with coop, but for some genres/games it just doesn't work out that well, especially if long dialogues/story quests are involved. And I would rather see a Days Gone 2 with the same/better story and without MP rather than something like State of Decay 2...

Bundy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Truth is i don't see that changing anytime soon unless Cerny does a small game for PS5.
But you never know and i could be wrong and they could give Toyama some budget but i don't see him making a RPG .
Thing is Sony team most of the time to get there JRPGs but it seem they in no rush to that unless it's From.
An AA JRPG is perfectly fine. We have this conversation every 2 or 3 months here. Take a good look at Nintendo's Xenoblade Chronicles 2. Only ~40 Monolith Soft devs worked on it. 40! That's the size of the Knack 1 team and way smaller than the Knack 2 team (which was a little bit over 60 Japan Studio devs). And yes, Monolith Soft got help from outsourcing, just like Japan Studio did for every game they make.
Xenoblade Chronicles 2 is a nice looking game, if you ignore the atrocious art-design for some characters. So a AA JRPG, developed by a ~50 dev team, .... for the JRPG PlayStation fans... yeah, that would be nice. Sony JRPG fans would shut the fuck up and be satisfied. Instead we are waiting 9 years already for another Sony 1st party console JRPG. Shu/SIEJA don't care as it seems. So the complains will continue.
Cerny won't ever do a JRPG. That's not his thing. Same goes for Keiichiro Toyama.

AAA JRPGs have a limited audience, if Sony wants to sell 10+ million copies they need their "Skyrim" or "Fallout" or "The Witcher".
In this gen we only got 2 AAA JRPGs, KH3 selling 5 million copies on 2 platforms and FF XV selling 9 million copies on 3 platforms, making an AAA JRPG with an anime artstyle and being also a new IP is not the perfect way to secure >10 million copies. If Sony can make a big open world game with character creation, actual choices, different endings they can have a hit, easily.
We don't need an AAA JRPG. It would be cool, but we don't "need" a FF budget. An AA JRPG like Nintendo's AA Xenoblade Chronicles is perfectly fine. Selling 10+ million copies of a JRPG is almost impossible. Even Final Fantasy 15, the most famous JRPG franchise worldwide, didn't sell as much (just realized you mentioned that too in your post I only read the first sentence of your post and started typing :P). And it's available on 3 platforms.

And you have to get rid of the "has to sell 10 million copies" idea, just because God of War, TLOU, Horizon Zero Dawn and Spider-Man sold/will sell 10+ million copies. It seems like some of you are getting used to the idea that a Sony game has to sell 10+ million copies these days to be called a success, because TLOU, HZD, GOW and Spider-Man did (will do). You're in for a rude awakening next gen when the first PS5-only 1st party games are coming out and they will sell a couple of millions "only". Don't make the same mistake that Square-Enix did when they were disappointed that Tomb Raider "only" sold 3.4 million copies in its first month. A lot of Sony's successful first party games will sell 3 to 5 million copies in the first PS5 years and it will be a success. Days Gone will sell 5 or 6 million copies worldwide when all is said and done and it will be a huge success for Bend Studio and SIE. Thanks to the huge active PS4 userbase.

SIE Japan thought is was okay to fund "super successful" games like Knack 2, Astro Bot VR, Gravity Rush 2, Déraciné VR, Everybody's Golf, The Last Guardian, No Heroes Allowed! VR, The Tomorrow Children, Everybody's Golf VR, etc. So I'm sure they can fund an AA JRPG series, too.
That's what Japan Studio does. Developing/funding mostly smaller-ish, non-AAA games.
I mean I understand why fans of multiplayer games are complaing here. And hey, they got some Sony 1st party multiplayer games this gen. Hell, they are getting another one soon with PREDATOR: Hunting Grounds. We fans of Sony's 1st party games got how many JRPGs this gen? Zero! How many Sony 1st party JRPGs are coming soon-ish, or got announced for the upcoming years? Zero! Cool stuff, Shu/SIEJA. I mean I expect that from Microsoft. But you have a huge division/presence in Japan and we got how many 1st party JRPGs this gen? Yep. As much JRPGs as Microsoft. Congrats on that!

Yep. it is enough for an AA game. And that's exactly what those Japan Studio games are (if you exclude Bloodborne). Looks like SIEJA has no issues with the "return", "budget", "risks" and "sales" of their games. Games like Astro Bot VR, Gravity Rush 2, Déraciné VR, Everybody's Golf, No Heroes Allowed! VR, Knack 2, Everybody's Golf VR, or The Tomorrow Children didn't even sell 1 million nor will they ever sell 1 million. No problem for SIEJA. But it looks like creating/funding a 1st party JRPG is just "too crazy" for SIEJA these days... years.
GR 1 and 2? It's not like Sony didn't try.
They didn't, because Gravity Rush 1 and 2 aren't JRPGs.
Japan studio is the only one that could do it and they are busy with doing smaller games and collaborations.
No problem with that. Let them do another collab to fund a 1st party JRPG ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Last edited:

hubertuss03

Banned
Oct 9, 2018
Japan studio does both - VR games and standard games. Their last games are VR but it doeasnt mean that next will be only VR.
Also, Shu said sometimes ago that he want Japan Studio to release games that show Japanese, unique creativity.
https://twinfinite.net/2019/02/shuhei-yoshida-sony-japan-studio/

ArkhamFantasy

Oct 25, 2017
Aside from Pokemon they don't sell enough to be worth the ROI .
In fact even in Japan they moving away from turn base the bigger the budgets get .

This a common misconception. JRPG players will buy either. Sales are determined by a number of factors; brands, budgets, art style, and of course the quality of the game.

Square Enix's recent AAA JRPGs are action based because the leads of those games happen to prefer action based combat and SE gives them creative freedom over the project. Turn based combat didn't prevent Dragon Quest XI from selling 4 million units, and of course Pokemon is still by far the biggest JRPG franchise and it always has and always will be turn based.

Rodjer

Self-requested ban.
Jan 28, 2018
This a common misconception. JRPG players will buy either. Sales are determined by a number of factors; brands, budgets, art style, and of course the quality of the game.

Square Enix's recent AAA JRPGs are action based because the leads of those games happen to prefer action based combat and SE gives them creative freedom over the project. Turn based combat didn't prevent Dragon Quest XI from selling 4 million units, and of course Pokemon is still by far the biggest JRPG franchise and it always has and always will be turn based.

DQXI sold 3.2 million copies in Japan alone and 800k in the west, that's not a good example.

Bundy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
They are the closest thing to a JRPG you'll get, you fanatics should have bought 20 copies each.
I don't want a "close thing to a JRPG" ;) That's like saying God of War (an action adventure!) is the closest thing we got to a Sony 1st party RPG like Dragon Age becaues God of War had some small RPG-light elements in it :P I want a JRPG. I'm not talking about an open-world action adventure like Gravity Rush. By the way, I have a retail and digital copy of Gravity Rush 1 and 2. So I already bought 4 copies. The retail ones day 1 at launch. I did my job for those niche games ;)

Modest_Modsoul

Living the Dreams
Oct 29, 2017
I've said it before, Monolith Soft took 10+ years to get Xenoblade to this point.

They manage to nurture the series & fans well; I'm very sure future games could be as big as Fire Emblem & such, sales + receptions.

I wish whoever responsible at SIE/SIEJA could see that too; building the studio, game, fans, etc.

Unfortunately, if someone/anyone wont start something, then it stays nothing.

Status
Not open for further replies.