• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

TheRulingRing

Banned
Apr 6, 2018
I love Horizon for many reasons; its combat, story, world building and some of its characters (Aloy and Sylens especially), soundtrack and art style.

I think it is GOAT-level-obsess-about-it-for-years level good, considering it's the best selling new IP of this generation, and is a leading example of featuring an interesting lead female protagonist, that which the industry really has a problem with.

Hm I guess my problem is that I just don't find Aloy (or any of the main characters except Sylens really) compelling or interesting enough to carry the game to lock-in GOTY status.

They mostly seem like simply-written, one dimensional, unreal-life like characters unfortunately. I guess I was able to overlook it at initially since this was their first such game, but this is the major thing they need to fix imo for the next game to be truly GOAT level.

Iwao

Oct 25, 2017
How's that ridiculous if they were supposedly established to work on PS VR games not grandiose AAA productions. They aren't even officially acknowledge yet on SIE's main WW page, so who knows if the PS VR shift gets rethought for next gen and the studio isn't necessary.
Pixelopus isn't officially acknowledged on SIE's main WW page either, yet they're making a game we know about that has been in development for over 4 years at this point. Remember how we found out that Horizon was supposed to be announced like 1.5 years before it eventually was? You should also consider that Manchester has needed time to settle as a studio and to prototype until they had something that was successfully greenlit.

PSVR is an evident success and profitable for Sony, so this idea that they have to think long and hard about whether to invest in a 2.0 for next-gen is as ridiculous as suggesting that Manchester could get closed down before they even released a game. Especially so when Microsoft will 100% be joining the VR race next-gen, and with leaks providing us Google's plans to bring a game console to market solidified by their doubling down by hiring someone like Dr. Richard Marks who has expertise in home console VR.

Much

The Gif That Keeps on Giffing
Feb 24, 2018
Hm I guess my problem is that I just don't find Aloy (or any of the main characters except Sylens really) compelling or interesting enough to carry the game to lock-in GOTY status.

They mostly seem like simply-written, one dimensional, unreal-life like characters unfortunately. I guess I was able to overlook it at initially since this was their first such game, but this is the major thing they need to fix imo for the next game to be truly GOAT level.

I mean, I disagree, but they can still improve for the sequel when we're talking broader characters. I think both Sylens and Aloy were the best written characters in the game. Compared to many of last years titles, Horizon was applauded for its writing. You apparently don't need a story at all really to win GOTY though, as shown by BOTW.

I guess it's just a difference of opinion, but I can post different gifs if you're tired of Horizon. Just let me know. :P

Last edited:

Omnistalgic

self-requested temp ban
Oct 27, 2017
NJ

I found Aloy compelling enough for a character introduction story, I agree she can have more layers tho. She's like in this grey area of understanding the rituals but thinking they are stupid, I'm tired of "hero" characters so to speak since they aren't that relatable, everyone, as reasonable and tolerant as they strive, has a belief system and values. So I'd like if they branch her out some more, seems like she's infatuated with her predecessor and science. Take her down that route

Strafer

The Flagpole is Wider
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
I rewatched the TLOU2 gameplay video from E3 and just now noticed that you can now crawl, totally missed that the first time, that will add another layer of sneaky sneak.

Hope this time you can actually skip all the enemies, there was times in the first game that I just wanna slip by and not fight at all.

bunkitz

Brave Little Spark
Oct 28, 2017
New Game Plus wouldn't be enough to hype me up for God of War at the moment, sadly...

HStallion

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If its something I'd have to guess its NG+ after they were hyping it up not long ago. I'd love something even bigger but by all accounts it doesn't sound like that's happening.

fanboy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Slovakia
I was thinking for a long time now, that NG+ wont be just normal ng plus... maybe few new enemies in new quests? Not big, something like witcher 3 dlc quests for free?

Edit: okey, apparently no :(

Wonder what that guys were doing in the cory's tour of ssm studio after gow launch...

Much

The Gif That Keeps on Giffing
Feb 24, 2018

Saint-14

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
So new gear, some enemies might have new attacks and the ability to skip cutscenes, sounds good.

Deleted member 5764

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Do we have any news about NG+ in God of War having additional trophies? I'm really close to the Platinum and I'll feel kind of defeated if they add new trophies shortly after I get 100%. I know it doesn't remove my Platinum status, but it will definitely bother me!

BoJack

Banned
Apr 4, 2018
Nah, that would be too soon for that...
I mean, not the entire team. They were working on the post-release content. But always there is a little tiny group, working on the next project, waiting for the whole team to join them.

P.S: I DO NOT WANT A DLC. Just work on the next gen title, please.

Kyoufu

Oct 26, 2017
15084.jpg
41691.jpg

Your avatars crack me up when you quote each other.

fanboy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Slovakia
I mean, not the entire team. They were working on the post-release content. But always there is a little tiny group, working on the next project, waiting for the whole team to join them.

Yeah, i know.. still, I think that would be just too soon. and i think it was department that works on the aninations and stuff...

I dont want any dlc either... bud since just small team can work on sequel for some time, the rest should be working on something :P

Also: ssm already had to choose next director right? Who do you think it is?

noyram23

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I wish GoW has multi region trophy list, I would love to plat it again. It pains me that it will be years till we get a sequel, it's gonna be worth the wait though.

Malkier

Oct 25, 2017

I wouldn't mind a standalone dlc to fill what happened between the series shift more.

BoJack

Banned
Apr 4, 2018
15084.jpg
41691.jpg

Your avatars crack me up when you quote each other.

It's perfection.

Also: ssm already had to choose next director right? Who do you think it is?

That's the real question in this case. We all know what their next project is. We know Barlog is going to make the foundation of his new game with a small team. But new director and new lead writer is a mystery. And I'm very, very worried about that. After watching almost all of Barlog's reviews, I know how important he was, especially as a director. Thinking about GoW Part II without corybarlog scares me.
I wouldn't mind a standalone dlc to fill what happened between the series shift more.

This is going to be the opening of GoW Part II I guess. Prepare yourselves for the next-gen old/young Kratos.

1.21Gigawatts

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Munich
As I am replaying The Last Of Us I thought about how we haven't seen any infected from Last Of Us 2 yet. I think they're going to look absolutely insane.
Do you think they'll show them off in trailers or keep it under wraps until the game releases?

SolidSnakex

Oct 25, 2017
As I am replaying The Last Of Us I thought about how we haven't seen any infected from Last Of Us 2 yet. I think they're going to look absolutely insane.
Do you think they'll show them off in trailers or keep it under wraps until the game releases?

They actually did show them quickly at the end of the PGW trailer. So i'm sure we'll see more before the game releases, although they may keep the new types that Neil mentioned at E3 under wraps.

Modest_Modsoul

Living the Dreams
Oct 29, 2017

Naughty Dog could do a God of War route, and keep everything under wraps except carefully chosen scenes/game-play in future trailers.

+ I hope Part II also have customizable difficulty like Shadow of the Tomb Raider on recent news.

Status
Not open for further replies.