• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Angie

Best Avatar Thread Ever!
Nov 20, 2017
Kingdom of Corona
You're right.

It'll sell 10 mil in a month.
Z0nUEXB.gif

Desfrog

Oct 29, 2017
Who cares if it outsells God of War, Spider-Man will be Insomniac's first mega hit and give them the recognition they have always deserved. That's enough for me :)

Sense

Oct 25, 2017
Spider-Man will most likely outsell god of war. It is tapping a different audience. Heard a lot of comic book enthusiasts who never owned a console picking one up for this game. It is also kid friendly from the looks of it.

Apex88

Jan 15, 2018
I think Spider-Man will sell at least 3 million by the end of the year.
I'd put it closer to 6m - maybe 8m. Should do 3m in it's first week or two then onto the Christmas shopping season.

For comparison God of War sold 5m first month. I think that will be over 8m by the end of the year.

Alandring

Banned
Feb 2, 2018
Switzerland
I expect a press conference at PGW which will include from SIE WWS. As for PSX we can only speculate now. They can either decide to have only panels and livestream from the showfloor or go back to a keynote that focus on indies and third parties. I don't expect anything first party related at the keynote like 2015.
I think they will skip PGW and do a conference at PSX (like in 2016). Last year, PGW was just one week before the launch of the Xbox One X, but this year they have no reason to do a conference in October.

Deleted member 11262

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Spider-Man will outsell GoW short term and long term. Spider-Man is an IP that does well all over the world and considering that it will "nuke from orbit" in the USA - as Benji says - this will be a global juggernaut.

No doubt.

Omnistalgic

self-requested temp ban
Oct 27, 2017
NJ
Well it's not like GOW is done selling guys. Both of these has potential to be 10+ million sellers, after that milestone I don't think Sony cares anymore.

Based on Shuhei's comments, I actually think Sony's next goal is to have a hit MP game. They have Horizon, God of War, Spider-Man, TLOU, Uncharted, and hopefully Days Gone as potential story focused IP for next gen.

Henrik

Jan 3, 2018
I think they will skip PGW and do a conference at PSX (like in 2016). Last year, PGW was just one week before the launch of the Xbox One X, but this year they have no reason to do a conference in October.
Wasn't a press conference at PSX in request by Naughty Dog?

How do you explain 2015. Big update from SIE WWS and announcements. If TGS will indeed announce new console games since 2015 they will bring that update to PGW. Plus we are still waiting for Manchester Studio's big VR project. We need an update on WiLD. It's been three years since we saw it. MediEvil Remake handled by xDev based in Europe. Dreams needs a update on the beta release.

But we have to wait and see. If they announce a press conference at PGW then that will be the last major event of the year for announcements from SIE WWS.

fanboy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Slovakia
GoW sales surprised the heck out of me... but that doesnt change the fact, that when 10 kids walk into game store, 9 of them will choose spider-man game over everything... and lets be real, most of us will do the same. It may not outsell Gow in its first month/3 months, but long term... cmon, it will be selling everytime some kid walks up into store and sees that red flag amongst other games.. sony and insomniac knew what they were doing with that cover... it really doesnt have to be good. it just needs to catch your eye... rest will be easy, its fucking spider-man, biggest comic book IP and pretty much number 1 comic book character all around the world.

Every kid will know about this game by christmas either from youtube, their friends, other media or just because of seeing the game in every single store, probably next to to sweets in their local shop (:P ok, you know what I mean) so we know number one christmas wish/gift for many of youngsters - buy me PS4 with spiderman... good luck parents :P

Much

The Gif That Keeps on Giffing
Feb 24, 2018
GoW sales surprised the heck out of me... but that doesnt change the fact, that when 10 kids walk into game store, 9 of them will choose spider-man game over everything... and lets be real, most of us will do the same. It may not outsell Gow in its first month/3 months, but long term... cmon, it will be selling everytime some kid walks up into store and sees that red flag amongst other games.. sony and insomniac knew what they were doing with that cover... it really doesnt have to be good. it just needs to catch your eye... rest will be easy, its fucking spider-man, biggest comic book IP and pretty much number 1 comic book character all around the world.

Every kid will know about this game by christmas either from youtube, their friends, other media or just because of seeing the game in every single store, probably next to to sweets in their local shop (:P ok, you know what I mean) so we know number one christmas wish/gift for many of youngsters - buy me PS4 with spiderman... good luck parents :P

Pretty spot on, in my opinion. I think it'll beat God of War, especially if they do that embargo lift a week before like God of War. If it doesn't review well, it won't sell as well as God of War, or at least as fast, but I think that is very unlikely, given it's developed by Insomniac who we know is extremely talented and is a reputable studio. Previews already seem gleaming. I for one have had this as my most anticipated title this year, even if my hype is swinging constantly. I loved Spider-Man 2 and Ultimate as a kid, no doubt this'll be no different. :)

I'd quite like a pizza mission as reference to Spider-Man 2, because that'll be hilarious. Doubt we'll get that one, but we'll see. :P

1iU5AR3.gif

438... this needs to stop soon lmao

SilverX

Jan 21, 2018
Shu said TGS is the next event for a press conference during the E3 week. No plans to talk about the rest of the year. Nothing was set in stone. There was ChinaJoy with localized games and China Hero Project he didn't mentioned. But the question he got from the interviewer was probably SIE WWS related since he is president of first party games.

https://youtu.be/2xk-TYS7p5Y

Just a reminder: They have canceled Tsutomu Kouno's speech at SGC
http://swedengamearena.com/conference/#speakers

I expect a press conference at PGW which will include from SIE WWS. As for PSX we can only speculate now. They can either decide to have only panels and livestream from the showfloor or go back to a keynote that focus on indies and third parties. I don't expect anything first party related at the keynote like 2015.

That presentation they made last year won't they do again with the backlash they got after.

Thanks for the info, but I at least wanted a Dreams event for Gamescom. Seemed like the perfect time to do it

daniel77733

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I believe that Spider Man will outsell God of War in it's first month and long term but that God of War will be known as the better overall game.

Alandring

Banned
Feb 2, 2018
Switzerland
Wasn't a press conference at PSX in request by Naughty Dog?

How do you explain 2015. Big update from SIE WWS and announcements. If TGS will indeed announce new console games since 2015 they will bring that update to PGW. Plus we are still waiting for Manchester Studio's big VR project. We need an update on WiLD. It's been three years since we saw it. MediEvil Remake handled by xDev based in Europe. Dreams needs a update on the beta release.

But we have to wait and see. If they announce a press conference at PGW then that will be the last major event of the year for announcements from SIE WWS.
In 2015, Sony had four conferences, but it was too much. So in 2016 and 2017, Sony had only three conferences (E3, TGS and PSX in 2016, E3, TGS and PGW in 2017). It will probably be the same this year.

The question is : PGW or PSX ? Yes, Sony Europe have a lot to show, but PSX is their own event. Sony don't need to be at the PGW, but they need to do a better PSX than last year.

Nov 8, 2017
So I've been looking at the current best sellers for Amazon UK for upcoming games, specifically about the September releases:

#1 - Spider-Man
#2 - Red Dead Redemption 2 (October, but the hype is real)
#3 - FIFA 19
#7 - Spyro Trilogy Reignited
#51 - Shadow of the Tomb Raider
#98 - Dragon Quest XI

Nice to see Spider-Man doing well. DQ being low makes sense due to the franchise not being popular the UK. Shadow of the Tomb Raider being so low actually shocked me a little as Tomb Raider games tend to do well in the UK. The Xbox version didn't rank in the top #100, so not sure where that places.

You still can't even buy a physical copy of Spider-Man from Amazon in the US. They are selling it digitally but that doesn't crack the top 100. Even if you narrow it down to the best selling Playstation 4 games the digital deluxe version comes in at #25 and the regular digital version is at #59.

Much

The Gif That Keeps on Giffing
Feb 24, 2018
Hey nice gif, I've played ALOT of Horizon but I've never tried sliding under the larger machines and dealing damage that way. Seems like a viable combat tactic. So thanks for the gif; beyond just looking great, they hold some good information too.

Thank you! I appreciate comments like this. I also posted it in the game's subreddit, and I'm amazed not many take advantage of the belly of the Thunderjaw. You can do the same with behemoths and tramplers too! :)

nYxrrdU.gif

Spidey hype! :)

LiquidSolid

Oct 26, 2017
Looking at DS remaster sales... i dont think it would be such a good idea. I hope they are actually dping something else than DS.
I don't really the comparison. There wasn't that much demand for a Dark Souls remaster because it was already available on PC at 60fps and we we never going to get much more from a remaster. Demon's Souls, on the other hand, has had quite a bit of demand even before the servers went down, because it's "stuck" on a last gen system and a remaster could offer some relatively simple improvements to the resolution and framerate.

But on top of that, this is Bluepoint we're talking about, so they'd probably give it a visual overhaul worthy of calling it a remake. And there's always the possibility of them adding the 6th archstone back into the game, even if I find it extremely unlikely unless FromSoftware are involved.

You're looking at this all wrong. They didn't host a PGW 2017 conference because it was right before the X launch, they skipped PGW 2016 because SIEE were in charge of PS Meeting 2016 where they unveiled the PS4 Pro. Otherwise, Sony have been hosting European conferences for the last decade, there's no reason to believe that's suddenly changed.

Sony didn't get rid of PSX last year because they didn't have enough content, they got rid of it because they've shifted focus from the indies and niche Japanese games that made up 90% of PSX conferences to only the biggest and bestest AAA games. It baffles me that people seriously think Sony couldn't have hosted a 2014/15 style PSX conference last year when those kind of games haven't gone anywhere. Sony just doesn't seem to be interested in shining a spotlight on them any more.

Elandyll

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
In 2015, Sony had four conferences, but it was too much. So in 2016 and 2017, Sony had only three conferences (E3, TGS and PSX in 2016, E3, TGS and PGW in 2017). It will probably be the same this year.

The question is : PGW or PSX ? Yes, Sony Europe have a lot to show, but PSX is their own event. Sony don't need to be at the PGW, but they need to do a better PSX than last year.
Why?

I know that for many E3 was a bit disappointing, but that was mostly due to a snafu in the format itself.
PSX is a fan event, and even if it has a live streamed event it's mostly a smaller scale thing (which blew up a bitndie to the TLOU2 reveal).

Imo, they -have- to do PGW so that the message to their EU fans isn't "Well, sorry that you aren't in the US or Asia, but at the same time we kinda take you for granted".

FliX

Master of the Reality Stone
Oct 25, 2017
Metro Detroit
Is PSX already dated?
I'll be moving to Long Beach in two weeks and should be much closer to the event this time. :D

Turkoop

Oct 25, 2017
Cologne, GERMANY
So I'll be at Gamescom and have a press ticket. Surely Spider-Man is a game I will play. Hope will find time to play VR-games, too.
And yeah, many other games, too. This will be insane.

FusedAtoms

Jul 21, 2018
So I'll be at Gamescom and have a press ticket. Surely Spider-Man is a game I will play. Hope will find time to play VR-games, too.
And yeah, many other games, too. This will be insane.
Be sure to let us know if anything particular stands out! Especially if you do get some time with some VR games I always enjoy reading about people's vr experiences

Saint-14

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
GoW is the fastest selling PlayStation exclusive ever, some of you need to think of that for a little before talking about Spider-Man outselling it, I mean sure it has the potential if the popularity is translated into sales but we have no proof of that.

daniel77733

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Why?

I know that for many E3 was a bit disappointing, but that was mostly due to a snafu in the format itself.
PSX is a fan event, and even if it has a live streamed event it's mostly a smaller scale thing (which blew up a bitndie to the TLOU2 reveal).

Imo, they -have- to do PGW so that the message to their EU fans isn't "Well, sorry that you aren't in the US or Asia, but at the same time we kinda take you for granted".

While I know that PSX is a fan event, im hoping for a showcase at this year's PSX like Sony did in 2014, 2015 and 2016.

GoW is the fastest selling PlayStation exclusive ever, some of you need to think of that for a little before talking about Spider-Man outselling it, I mean sure it has the potential if the popularity is translated into sales but we have no proof of that.

God of War sold 5M in it's first month. I think that Spider Man is going to surpass that because it's more well known brand and mainstream plus it has a teen rating which will help sell more copies.

Last edited:

Sangetsu-II

Oct 26, 2017

I bet it probably has the potential to outsell GoW with the type of marketing it has around it. Like look how many Twitter accounts have privilege to market the game. To different casual markets. That's just a 1min trailer. Imagine when the marketing campaign kicks off.

https://mobile.twitter.com/PlayStation/status/1029042396992925696

https://mobile.twitter.com/insomniacgames/status/1029039669256888320

Status
Not open for further replies.