• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Temascos

Oct 27, 2017
Huh, never heard about VASG before, isn't that a bit like ICE and XDEV?

Whilst I haven't played Uncharted 4 or Lost Legacy yet, I'm a bit curious as to if the franchise has lasting appeal now that the main storyline is over (I don't know the details apart from 4 being the last one of Nate's adventures). If it ends up being a Gears/Halo type situation where the gameplay might improve but people aren't really biting into the new storyline made by a new team of developers (Regardless of how talented, experienced, etc they may be).

I'm probably jumping the gun, it's too early to tell given that God Of War has worked out incredibly well and other franchise semi-reboots could work out.

Sorel

Oct 27, 2017

Whilst I haven't played Uncharted 4 or Lost Legacy yet, I'm a bit curious as to if the franchise has lasting appeal now that the main storyline is over (I don't know the details apart from 4 being the last one of Nate's adventures). If it ends up being a Gears/Halo type situation where the gameplay might improve but people aren't really biting into the new storyline made by a new team of developers (Regardless of how talented, experienced, etc they may be).

I'm probably jumping the gun, it's too early to tell given that God Of War has worked out incredibly well and other franchise semi-reboots could work out.

Each Uncharted has it's own story, there's no main storyline so I don't see the issue.

SolidSnakex

Oct 25, 2017

They're all pretty different. VASG are an asset creation/motion capture group within Sony. They help with pretty much every Sony game where scanning and performance capture are involved. ICE team effectively help craft overall tech for all of SIE studios. They were even involved with the creation of the PS4 itself. And XDev are basically a studio that initiates collaborations between Sony and European studios. They help put pieces in place for studios SIE to work with studios like Wild Sheep, Quantic Dream and Housemarque.

Jan 11, 2018
I don't think Uncharted is a franchise that you just hand off to another developer and expect to continue selling well. The #1 appeal of Uncharted is the fact that Naughty Dog makes it, and you get the benefits of a world class developer creating a story that even non-gamers enjoy. i can't tell you how many people including the press have mentioned that they don't even like the core gameplay.

I think you're better off just making a new IP.

They already did though, as others have mentioned. They've also handed off God of War, Ratchet and Clank, etc. They clearly aren't afraid to trust their biggest IP to other developers.

Temascos

Oct 27, 2017
They're all pretty different. VASG are an asset creation/motion capture group within Sony. They help with pretty much every Sony game where scanning and performance capture are involved. ICE team effectively help craft overall tech for all of SIE studios. They were even involved with the creation of the PS4 itself. And XDev are basically a studio that initiates collaborations between Sony and European studios. They help put pieces in place for studios SIE to work with studios like Wild Sheep, Quantic Dream and Housemarque.

Ah! I see, it's a pretty good idea for them to pool their motion capture assets together. Yeah, I knew about ICE for years, even back in the PS2 era but had a complete brainfart with XDEV.

It just makes sense at this point to work together on stuff when possible, saves time and money especially if you're part of the same organisation.

Deleted member 17403

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
As bad as people want ND to work on that nerdy Mass Effect styled RPG in space, I think the chances of another TLOU are good. I get that this is an enthusiast forum, but I find it incredibly strange that people here don't like TLOU for all that it encompasses.
I concur. TLoU, mechanically, shits all over Uncharted imo and that's without taking the new improvements to the gameplay into consideration. Such a great game and would rather that continue than Uncharted if I had to choose but perhaps there won't be a need to and both games can coexist.

Deleted member 17403

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
They already did though, as others have mentioned. They've also handed off God of War, Ratchet and Clank, etc. They clearly aren't afraid to trust their biggest IP to other developers.
But mainline installments weren't given to other studios for the examples you gave. I could be wrong but I don't believe any of the GoW games, R&C or Uncharted games other than Secret Agent Clank, Daxter, Golden Abyss, Resistance: Retribution and Ghost of Sparta/Chains of Olympus were given to other studios. I wouldn't call any of the aforementioned mainline games.

I feel that there is a distinct difference between developers being given side games to work on versus being trusted with developing say Uncharted 4 or GoW 2018.

Jan 11, 2018
But mainline installments weren't given to other studios for the examples you gave. I could be wrong but I don't believe any of the GoW games, R&C or Uncharted games other than Secret Agent Clank, Daxter, Golden Abyss, Resistance: Retribution and Ghost of Sparta/Chains of Olympus were given to other studios. I wouldn't call any of the aforementioned mainline games.

I feel that there is a distinct difference between developers being given side games to work on versus being trusted with developing say Uncharted 4 or GoW 2018.

That's true. But most of those games were still quality, even with though they were made with far less resources than the main games. If given the budget, manpower, and time that the mainline games got, I think some new blood can do a lot of these IP justice.

Morrowbie

Oct 28, 2017
The new studio is rumoured to be working with, or even to be an extension of, Naughty Dog. If it's making a new Uncharted it means the franchise is still under ND.

Penny Royal

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
QLD, Australia
Outside of guesswork about this new studio based on some staffers and it's location there aren't 'rumours' so much as 'a theory started by people on forums'.

A rumour would at lest be traceable to an actual source, this is just people putting 2+2 together & getting the answer they want.

ArkhamFantasy

Oct 25, 2017

They also sold a fraction of the mainline games to iirc.

TheRulingRing

Banned
Apr 6, 2018
How intentionally dense does someone have to be to think Ghost of Tsushima looks like anything else they've done this gen?

Do you get mad at movie studios making multiple dramas or comedies a year?

The facade is different, but I doubt the core gameplay will be too different.

Diversity of writing, characters and setting are just as important as genre.

If this is the genre that you most enjoy and makes up the bulk of your game time then it's easier for you to assign greater importance to these characteristics. But if you like other genres as much or more.. nah you're stuck with this.

Since you mentioned 3rd party contracted studios - here's a list of non-internal studio Sony games (excluding Playlink) that they published since 2017 till now:

Everybody's Golf
Matterfall
Wipeout Omega Collection
Drawn to Death
Farpoint
No Heroes Allowed! VR
StarBlood Arena
Detroit Become Human
SOTC Remake
Spider-Man
Bravo Team
Inpatient
Firewall: Zero Hour
Deracine

Kindly share what you would categorise as Sony's template based off their external studio portfolio of funding, if you don't mind?

That's the problem - there are games in there that are very different, but they're relegated to small-ish projects. There are only a few in there that I would describe as flagships, maybe Detroit, Spiderman and SOTC. Looking back I guess those are actually quite different to their first party "template", so I'll take that 3rd party comment back. Spiderman is probably closest, being an action-adventure, but it's different enough for sure.

Mani

Jan 14, 2018
London
The new studio is rumoured to be working with, or even to be an extension of, Naughty Dog. If it's making a new Uncharted it means the franchise is still under ND.
Besides, I would rather this new team that's headed by ND talent to tackle Uncharted. It won't be as great as the one made by Neil & Druckmann but it'll still be unlike anything that will be on the market.
Plus this will free up ND to continue TLOU and a new IP next gen.

N.Domixis

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I wonder what it will be called?

Banter Studios
Cinematic Ledge Jump Studios Productions
One man Army Studio
Treasure Hunter Studio
Strange Relics
Or best one

Nathan Drake

So then we have two ND studios. Sony are absolute mad men.

Kolx

Oct 25, 2017
What if the new studio is just an expansion of ND to work on the new game that was rumored couple of days ago?

Deleted member 17403

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
That's true. But most of those games were still quality, even with though they were made with far less resources than the main games. If given the budget, manpower, and time that the mainline games got, I think some new blood can do a lot of these IP justice.
Oh of that I am certainly in agreement. A lot of those studios that developed the side games went on to create and release some AAA games, Ready at Dawn with The Order and Sony Bend with Days Gone. It remains to be seen how Days Gone will perform both critically but perhaps more importantly commercially before we can make any judgements about Bend but RAD had a tremendous opportunity and squandered it.

So maybe it's best that certain studios remain on established properties that more proven studios want to move on from. This way everyone is happy - gamers can continue to get franchises they love or new installments of ones that were previously shelved, developers can continue to get contractual work working on those aforementioned properties and thrive and larger developers can make new AAA franchises.

Everyone wins until the smaller developer wants to create their own AAA property.

Morrowbie

Oct 28, 2017
Outside of guesswork about this new studio based on some staffers and it's location there aren't 'rumours' so much as 'a theory started by people on forums'.

A rumour would at lest be traceable to an actual source, this is just people putting 2+2 together & getting the answer they want.
I don't think by definition a rumour requires a defined source, but I know what you mean. In this case it is speculation rather than rumour.

Although that's exactly how rumours started back at school, I recall. Rumours don't have to turn out to be true. Ones with a known source probably will!

Deleted member 1326

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Hum..I don't know how to read that but yeah. The game could have online mode and a single player campaign.
I mean it would be a missed opportunity because even I, that pretty much only play single player games, recognize there's a lack of big budget 1st party mp games.
Can't say I'd be sad though, another SP game from Guerrilla would be sweet for me, specially if it's not Killzone.

N.Domixis

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Outside of uncharted 2 and 3 LBP 1 and 2 all of Sony's multiplayer games were generic. I'm glad they focused on single player. Now they just need to make a battle Royale for a multiplayer experience and make ND make it.

dobahking91

Oct 26, 2017
I mean it would be a missed opportunity because even I, that pretty much only play single player games, recognize there's a lack of big budget 1st party mp games.
Can't say I'd be sad though, another SP game from Guerrilla would be sweet for me, specially if it's not Killzone.

I just think It depends on marketing. They also need to show the MP first (or same time) and don't wait till one week before release like they did with TLOU lmao

Look at Halo and Gears they don't have that tacked-on MP stigma despite having big SP campaign.

Deleted member 1326

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I just think It depends on marketing. They also need to show the MP first (or same time) and don't wait till one week before release like they did with TLOU lmao

Look at Halo and Gears they don't have that tacked-on MP stigma despite having big SP campaign.
The focus on those are totally on MP, microsoft likes to sell loot... I mean "packs". The SP for those series haven't received much praise in a long time either.
If I could choose I'd rather have games only SP or only MP.

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017
That's the problem - there are games in there that are very different, but they're relegated to small-ish projects. There are only a few in there that I would describe as flagships, maybe Detroit, Spiderman and SOTC. Looking back I guess those are actually quite different to their first party "template", so I'll take that 3rd party comment back. Spiderman is probably closest, being an action-adventure, but it's different enough for sure.

Of course they going to be smaller projects since they don't sell huge numbers .
Certain genres will never become a flagship series in this point in time.
Sony not going to throw AAA money and marketing behind a project where they know they won't get a good ROI.

dobahking91

Oct 26, 2017
The focus on those are totally on MP, microsoft likes to sell loot... I mean "packs". The SP for those series haven't received much praise in a long time either.
If I could choose I'd rather have games only SP or only MP.

That's the point they still have both =P
I think an only MP game with a big budget won't go well with most Sony fans. I don't see Sony taking that risk honestly.

Last edited:

Testobjekt

Jan 23, 2018
Germany
This just happen on the next-gen speculation thread:

tenor.gif

Last edited:

Deleted member 1326

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If PS5 is only a fall 2020 thing then it might be Horizon 2 to launch 1st half of 2020. Idk, I was hoping Horizon 2 would be a PS5 game.

Cyberia

Nov 8, 2017
Shu back at E3:

Sony's E3 2018 press conference remains divisive days after the event. Their opening with The Last of Us Part II still has people talking, but the intermission section is a sore spot. That said, it seems PlayStation has their full slate of games out in the wild in some form or fashion. However, according to Shuhei Yoshida, President of Worldwide Studios, the publisher has more tricks up its sleeve. There are PS4 exclusives that remain under wraps.

During an interview with Jagat Review, the interviewer asks Yoshida if all forthcoming PS4 exclusives are a known quantity. His response, while cryptic to a degree, reveals that there is more on the horizon. "In terms of if there are any unannounced PS4 titles in development, yes, there are," Yoshida says. The interviewer emphasizes their point, again asking if PS4 exclusives are still in the works. Yoshida responds with another affirmative, but notes that he cannot divulge when Sony will reveal these titles.

https://www.playstationlifestyle.net/2018/06/14/yoshida-unannounced-ps4-exclusives/

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017
I think GoW2 has a higher likelihood. It's not open world and SSM didn't release DLC.

No way the new GOW comes out before HZD 2 .
Even if it not open world some of the stages are huge and thing like boss battle are a huge amount of work .
Not to mention the amount of content it has compare to before .
Also i don't think the whole of GG work on the DLC so that still gives them a year plus time over GOW.

F4r0_Atak

Oct 31, 2017
Home
I can't wait for them to officially reveal the MediEvil remake/reboot. How it looks like and who is working on it. I always imagined a current-gen MediEvil would be like a traditional "Legend of Zelda" game with stop-motion style visuals, ala Kubo and the Two Strings or any of the Tim Burton's animated movies.
I don't know how credible he is and it's not exactly breaking news.

But the GT World Tour name is new and he states further news coming.

I don't know why but "World Tour" sounds like a "Forza Horizon" approach. What if it was Sony's take on the Forza Horizon game. :O

Last edited:

dobahking91

Oct 26, 2017
What if it's RAD's new AAA console game ? Their last big game was released almost 4 years ago.

Even if it's not The Order 1887, I'm gonna be so happy to see Sony working with RAD again.

Last edited:

TheRulingRing

Banned
Apr 6, 2018
I don't know why but "World Tour" sounds like a "Forza Horizon" approach. What if it was Sony's take on the Forza Horizon game. :O

The GT World Tour is a competitive championship event that pops up around the world based on in GT Sport. Sounds like that's the direction of the next game, or the person simply missed that and thought this was a game name.

Callibretto

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
I can't wait for them to officially reveal the MediEvil remake/reboot. How it looks like and who is working on it. I always imagined a current-gen MediEvil would be like a traditional "Legend of Zelda" game with stop-motion style visuals, ala Kubo and the Two Strings or any of the Tim Burton's animated movies.

'World Tour' subtitle didn't give the impression of open world approach. It give the impression that the next GT will focused on the career/world tour campaign mode. We will have persistent carreer mode where we race tour all over the world the world.

Status
Not open for further replies.