Sony PlayStation: First Party Studios & Projects |OT2|

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 31, 2017
I don't see how Sony skipping E3 would mean PS5 in 2019. Wouldn't that be more of a reason for them to be at E3 next year, to hype their system?
I have no idea what the news is, but it seems kind of weird that everyone is putting so much stock into an anonymous PS4 Reddit post that gained no traction from someone nobody knows, and then used that to determine the launch date for the PS5 is 2019 even though they'd have a ton to show next E3 if the PS5 were releasing in 2019.

I make this post knowing that it'll look really hilarious if that Reddit post is legit and PS5 is releasing next year, but I mean... maybe don't freak out so much over it yet?

Not too early.

PS1 -> PS2 = 6 years.
PS2 -> PS3 = 6 years.
PS3 -> PS4 = 7 years (only due to delay).
Games took a year to make during the PS1 generation. It's different now where a developer likely isn't getting three - four games in a single series out in a single generation, so six years doesn't seem that long considering how ambitious games are.

My opinion, anyway.

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder how Sony would spin this as a positive and what their overall reasoning would be?
“You know what’s coming, we gave nothing new to annnounce and will focus on our already announced lineup”

Because they will have their own show? I mean, they have games to show.
The same games that had gameplay demonstrations last E3 but still didn’t make their show good enough for some.

It would be better for them to not have a show this year.

Oct 26, 2017
If Sony is not at E3 the PS5 will be 2020 minimum. They don’t have more games to announce since everything is for next gen now so another E3 with the same 3 games shown at E3 2018 is bad for them.
But is that even true? As far as we know TLOU2, Ghost and DS are all for PS4. Why not just show those games again? New footage, this time with a release date. And I'm sure there's more. It's Sony we're talking about, it's like these guys never run out of games.

Oct 27, 2017
UK
Don't big corps have to announce their E3 plans far in advance though? Maybe not as early as November, but... early!
I don't remember any E3 plans being announced this early. You usually start hearing about conferences and stuff a few months before when press invites go out, etc.

If they're not going then they'll definitely be planning that privately, but I don't understand why they'd announce it unless they're trying to get communication out ahead of leaks, etc.

Even if it did leak, I still feel like they'd say they haven't announced their E3 plans yet.

Oct 30, 2017
Maybe in place of e3, Sony is moving towards a Nintendo Direct like model? The ramifications for next generation might be all three platform holders forgoing e3 in favor of curated shows that they control?

Oct 27, 2017
Argentina
I need Sony E3 2019 to happen only because of The Last of Us Part II release date (and hopefully windows for Tsushima and Stranding), if Sony is not hosting a conference on E3, then TLOU misses 2019. My bet.

That said, I'm 99% convinced they will be at E3, this sounds like nonsense to me but I've been wrong many times.

Jul 26, 2018
They've shown Ghost/TLoU/Death gameplay ONCE... They showed God of War and Horizon twice at E3, Spider-Man thrice and Days Gone three times as well. This "they will skip E3 if it's again focusing on those three" narrative is DUMB.

Better, longer demos on those, an indie game/VR sizzle reel, some surprise PS PLUS game dropping on the show and the usual third party stuff and a brief teaser for something like Horizon 2 or something is MORE than enough for an E3 showing.

Oct 25, 2017
Virginia
They've shown Ghost/TLoU/Death gameplay ONCE... They showed God of War and Horizon twice at E3, Spider-Man thrice and Days Gone three times as well. This "they will skip E3 if it's again focusing on those three" narrative is DUMB.

Better, longer demos on those, an indie game/VR sizzle reel, some surprise PS PLUS game dropping on the show and the usual third party stuff and a brief teaser for something like Horizon 2 or something is MORE than enough for an E3 showing.

Oct 27, 2017
But is that even true? As far as we know TLOU2, Ghost and DS are all for PS4. Why not just show those games again? New footage, this time with a release date. And I'm sure there's more. It's Sony we're talking about, it's like these guys never run out of games.
No because all other games are for PS5 and if this news is correct then it also means that DS, GOT and LOU part 2 will not be releasing in 2019 but 2020 instead sadly

Sep 1, 2018
Curitiba/BR
I don't think they needed to be bought either, but it all depends on the studio culture too.

If they want their independence, that shouldn't be forced
The way they praise Sony just after the Spider-Man release, I would not be surprised to see them accepting a possible proposal from Sony.
But the real question is whether Sony would be interested or not, they seem be very happy with those partnerships.

Status
Not open for further replies.