• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DieH@rd

Oct 26, 2017
Let us not delude ourselves. There is absolutely no reason to announce no-E3-appearance right now, in mid-November.

BGA

Oct 26, 2017
If there's no E3 for Sony next year, then it means they likely have nothing else to show for PS4 gen and that PS5 is still too early to be revealed for 2019.

v_iHuGi

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
tenor.gif

Damn.

StuBurns

Self Requested Ban
Banned
Nov 12, 2017
What "no Sony at E3" has to do with "Ps5 releasing in 2019"?

When Sony announced the Ps4 in February 2013 they also had E3 to show the games. The February event was all about the hardware and a preview of games, while E3 was indepth demos and more games announced.

They need E3 even if they have an early annoncement event.
Because PS4 was wholly distinct from PS3 in library. PS5 won't be from PS4.

The hottest PS5 games are already announced. Yeah, a new R&C here, a Demon's Souls remaster there, but not like previous transitions.

MS are doing it too, Halo is cross-gen without question.

Heckler456

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
Actually, isn't Rosti the guy who always makes thread about E3 plans, among others ? That would explain why he is in the known and why it should spark talks about the next gen timing.

If this is it, I'll be waiting for everyone to explain how Sony has "enough studios" after skipping a second huge event. I also wonder if "no E3" means no presence at all (like PSX) or just no conference. Even if you don't do a showcase, how in the world could they be invisible on the showfloor ?
200.gif

VinFTW

Oct 25, 2017
Um... an overwhelming majority of their games have been Sony exclusive. They have given out some iOS games, 1 Xbox exclusive and 2 multiplatts (Fuse and Song of the Deep).
if it aint broke dont fix it ya know?

Its not a financially unstable studio

theres no reason for Insomniac to be bought IMO

Not that id mind if Sony did get them, it just doesnt seem there is a reason for them to not do what theyre doing now

get2sammyb

Editor at Push Square
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
UK
Why would they announce that they're not doing E3 in November? That's ridiculous. They wouldn't say a thing about that until March or April -- assuming it's even true to begin with.

Kyuga

Oct 27, 2017
If Sony is not at E3 the PS5 will be 2020 minimum. They don't have more games to announce since everything is for next gen now so another E3 with the same 3 games shown at E3 2018 is bad for them.

Tibarn

Oct 31, 2017
Barcelona
No E3 for Sony makes sense if TLOU2/Death Stranding/Ghost... are not ready for 2019. I do believe that some of the games (if not all) will be cross-gen or directly released only on the Ps5, and maybe Sony doesn't want to host another E3 with the same games again and will focus on releasing Ps5 with those games ASAP.

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Whinging? Tell me how you reallllly feel?

It's like when folks laughed that Xbox and Nintendo had no new games earlier in this generation, but somehow it's ok here? Regardless, using whining as your pejorative is really not helping your argument.

I want to see more of their upcoming games, but the sentiment in other camps is "lol what are they gonna show? The same 3 games again?"

Their E3 showed first gameplay of Tsushima, Death Stranding AND Last of Us 2.

Yet some felt Xbox had a stronger showing, which they did because of third parties, despite their first party being more Gears, more Halo and a Battletoads without any footage.

Missing out E3 is in their best interest if they only have the same games to show yet again, even if on paper it's a more impressive lineup than the competition.

Deleted member 3897

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
if it aint broke dont fix it ya know?

Its not a financially unstable studio

theres no reason for Insomniac to be bought IMO

Not that id mind if Sony did get them, it just doesnt seem there is a reason for them to not do what theyre doing now

Playground Games wasn't broken either, yet MS bought them. Why can't Sony buy Insomniac?

Oct 31, 2017
I don't see how Sony skipping E3 would mean PS5 in 2019. Wouldn't that be more of a reason for them to be at E3 next year, to hype their system?

I have no idea what the news is, but it seems kind of weird that everyone is putting so much stock into an anonymous PS4 Reddit post that gained no traction from someone nobody knows, and then used that to determine the launch date for the PS5 is 2019 even though they'd have a ton to show next E3 if the PS5 were releasing in 2019.

I make this post knowing that it'll look really hilarious if that Reddit post is legit and PS5 is releasing next year, but I mean... maybe don't freak out so much over it yet?

Not too early.

PS1 -> PS2 = 6 years.
PS2 -> PS3 = 6 years.
PS3 -> PS4 = 7 years (only due to delay).

Games took a year to make during the PS1 generation. It's different now where a developer likely isn't getting three - four games in a single series out in a single generation, so six years doesn't seem that long considering how ambitious games are.

My opinion, anyway.

Bunkles

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
It's way better to annouce something like this now. People will not create expectations.

Not unless the no E3 announcement was followed by some good news. To simply announce "no E3" now will only lead to months of speculation that will be tough for them to stay ahead of.

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I wonder how Sony would spin this as a positive and what their overall reasoning would be?

"You know what's coming, we gave nothing new to annnounce and will focus on our already announced lineup"

Because they will have their own show? I mean, they have games to show.

The same games that had gameplay demonstrations last E3 but still didn't make their show good enough for some.

It would be better for them to not have a show this year.

Oct 27, 2017
Sony can't afford a year without any new announcements. Even if team 2020 is right, E3 2019 would be the perfect place to at least hint at PS5.

Oct 26, 2017
If Sony is not at E3 the PS5 will be 2020 minimum. They don't have more games to announce since everything is for next gen now so another E3 with the same 3 games shown at E3 2018 is bad for them.

But is that even true? As far as we know TLOU2, Ghost and DS are all for PS4. Why not just show those games again? New footage, this time with a release date. And I'm sure there's more. It's Sony we're talking about, it's like these guys never run out of games.

get2sammyb

Editor at Push Square
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
UK
Don't big corps have to announce their E3 plans far in advance though? Maybe not as early as November, but... early!

I don't remember any E3 plans being announced this early. You usually start hearing about conferences and stuff a few months before when press invites go out, etc.

If they're not going then they'll definitely be planning that privately, but I don't understand why they'd announce it unless they're trying to get communication out ahead of leaks, etc.

Even if it did leak, I still feel like they'd say they haven't announced their E3 plans yet.

iareharSon

Oct 30, 2017
Maybe in place of e3, Sony is moving towards a Nintendo Direct like model? The ramifications for next generation might be all three platform holders forgoing e3 in favor of curated shows that they control?

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
No E3 = No 2019. No reason to not show the PS5 at E3 if a PS Meeting is announced today.

MegaSackman

Oct 27, 2017
Argentina
I need Sony E3 2019 to happen only because of The Last of Us Part II release date (and hopefully windows for Tsushima and Stranding), if Sony is not hosting a conference on E3, then TLOU misses 2019. My bet.

That said, I'm 99% convinced they will be at E3, this sounds like nonsense to me but I've been wrong many times.

Jul 26, 2018
They've shown Ghost/TLoU/Death gameplay ONCE... They showed God of War and Horizon twice at E3, Spider-Man thrice and Days Gone three times as well. This "they will skip E3 if it's again focusing on those three" narrative is DUMB.

Better, longer demos on those, an indie game/VR sizzle reel, some surprise PS PLUS game dropping on the show and the usual third party stuff and a brief teaser for something like Horizon 2 or something is MORE than enough for an E3 showing.

Status
Not open for further replies.