• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

OléGunner

Oct 25, 2017
Airborne Aquarium
This fabled Sony AAA JRPG makes ya'll go for each other throats lol

As we wind down who's ready for 2019 to be another stellar year
Medievil
44921304324_bb4e8c12c5_o.png

Blood and truth
blood-and-truth.jpg
Mlb the show 19
MLB-The-Show-19_11-02-18.jpg

Concrete genie
MV5BYThiMDUxN2UtNTM1Zi00MThmLWJlZGYtNjUxMzRhMjkzZjdhXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNzQzNDM3NTI@._V1_SX1777_CR0,0,1777,999_AL_.jpg

Days gone
yka52jkicbhtnp0v0fs0.png

Dreams
dreams.jpg

2019 variety is clutch.
I worry for Dreams though, hopefully the beta is still on track although its getting late now.

I'm actually most hyped for Blood and Truth! London Heist PSVR was an incredible taste of what London Studio can do (just fix the tracking though pls thx)

Well I for one am already wetting myself.
3605.jpg

Dragoon

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
if they are not acquiring any big studios at least try take this talent and make him join to Sony
i think it will be waste if they didn't try to take him he has big potential

IMO one of the biggest mistakes that happened at Sony is making Fumito Ueda left
totally waste of one of the greatest developers in japan and even in the world this all the fault in ps3 i think
That's not Sony's fault. Pretty much every other publisher would have quit on him a long time ago.

Shairi

Aug 27, 2018
sorry but i dont want sony ever working with level 5 again. everything level 5 has done after the ps2 golden years for sony besides ni no kuni has been absolutely awful, cancelled, or switched to another platform. there's better options to choose from.

Could you name some of these options?

Level-5 is a competent studio. I know that some don't like them, but that doesn't change the fact that they have both experience and enough staff to develop a AAA game for Sony.

The fact that games have switched platforms is not the fault of the studio. If Level-5 works on a First Party game for Sony, that wouldn't happen anyway.

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017
Man I wish I didn't have to wait till April for Days Gone.

Don't really care about Anthem at all in feb.

LiquidSolid

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah, turn based jRPG is AA at most. If people want a jRPG AAA game, it has to be action RPG to get worldwide appeal. Unless they have a switch-like portable controller and it's in the Pokemon/Digimon genre.
I think the important thing is to have no random encounters and battles on the field map, not in separate combat screens. Do that and I think turn based could be viable or at least something along the lines of FFXII's battle system.

Could you name some of these options?

Level-5 is a competent studio. I know that some don't like them, but that doesn't change the fact that they have both experience and enough staff to develop a AAA game for Sony.

The fact that games have switched platforms is not the fault of the studio. If Level-5 works on a First Party game for Sony, that wouldn't happen anyway.
The problem with Level 5 to me is that Hino's a really bad writer but since he's the CEO and President of the company, he can and does put himself on all the biggest games they've released. I don't think it's a coincidence that Level 5's best games are the ones he didn't write (DQVIII/IX, Jeanne d'Arc, Professor Layton, etc).

If they could come up with an arrangement like the one they had with Dragon Quest, where Armor Project basically designed and wrote the games while Level 5 were the ones who built it, that'd be perfect but I'm not sure Hino's interested in those kind of projects any more.

Electro

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Vienna
Sony should buy Tarsier Studios, they made with Statik a great Puzzle game for PSVR and are looking for a publisher.

j5oh1vxx61421.jpg

Oct 31, 2017
Ya know, this thread has been far more fun to read and post recently, I think ever since the news about skipping E3, which opened up more news that 2020 was PS5's likely release date and what studios would be working on.

Electro

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Vienna

Shairi

Aug 27, 2018
The problem with Level 5 to me is that Hino's a really bad writer but since he's the CEO and President of the company, he can and does put himself on all the biggest games they've released. I don't think it's a coincidence that Level 5's best games are the ones he didn't write (DQVIII/IX, Jeanne d'Arc, Professor Layton, etc).

If they could come up with an arrangement like the one they had with Dragon Quest, where Armor Project basically designed and wrote the games while Level 5 were the ones who built it, that'd be perfect but I'm not sure Hino's interested in those kind of projects any more.

That's for sure a problem but I have personally really really enjoyed Ni No Kuni 1 (haven't played NNK2 yet) which was also written by Hino.

Like you said, Sony could hire a concept team that writes and designs the game while Level 5 develops all the gameplay system. Since NNK2 hasn't been a big success, I'm pretty sure they'll take on any major job they get, even if it means that Hino has to take the backseat.

Sony should buy Tarsier Studios, they made with Statik a great Puzzle game for PSVR and are looking for a publisher.

j5oh1vxx61421.jpg

Tarsier is an excellent studio. I'd like to see Sony work more with them.

Deleted member 17403

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Instead a JRPG, I think a good sci-fi WRPG would fit a lot better in the Playstation portfolio. I mean, there are JRPG exclusives (or semi-exclusives) made by third-parties, but an original WRPG like Mass Effect or Cyberpunk, that would have a good and visual combat, could be a hallmark in the catalog, plus a constant source of games if the universe in big and rich enough.
I agree with what you're saying and this is what I envision. A futuristic action rpg where you play as a manhunter (bounty hunter) and it's set in one large, oppressive, dystopian city where the lower rungs of life live in the bowels of the Megacity, which itself resembles the locales in Blade Runner or Batman Beyond. It's rife with murder, prostitution, human trafficking, drug peddling, corruption, etc. and you're an investigator, with a military background, who takes on a client and somehow gets swept up in some conspiracy amongst the nobles. Nobles are the incredibly rich barons who preside over the the common people both literally and figuratively. These barons live in sun bathed, floating cities high above the muck and soot below, who represent the figurative carrot dangling above the masses- the hope that they could one day join their ranks should they display the merit.

I imagine it would play like an amalgam of Deus Ex, The Last of Us, Assassin's Creed, with the interactions of RDR2. It's a game where in order to find clues or get a break in a case, you have to use critical thinking and track witnesses and convince them to provide you with information and which method of persuasion is appropriate depends on that person's life situation and psychology. It's a world that's as free to explore and full of player agency, comparable to GTA5 or RDR2. Players can design their own character and assign them a voice and tailor their strengths and weaknesses to reflect the players playstyle.

Vaser

Oct 31, 2017
Sony Japan should be doing what Cygames is doing, but no, let's just make quirky adventure games that don't sell! Feels bad, man..

Masagiwa

Jan 27, 2018

I am listening. I've been waiting for Kojima to show me some gameplay that makes me want to buy this game.

lapsu

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 31, 2017
First pictures make me think of Project Awakening, second is obviously RaySpace.

Oct 27, 2017
Lol y'all realize it's just the guy in the commercial going through your typical snowy LotR setting and a space setting right? Those aren't real games lol.

Magoo

Oct 28, 2017
UK
The My PS4 life videos are finally working again.

That's a lot of time spent in Witcher 3. And a completely random rarest trophy.

Viceratops

Banned
Jun 29, 2018
Are you sure? Why would they advertise two games from 2014 and 2016?
I wasn't definitely joking. If I had to give it a serious guess I would say that first game is God of War but instead of Kratos being the avatar, it's more of a "you the player" avatar type thing. The game could also be Project Awakening from CyGames

The second picture I have no idea. It looks like the dude from Nex Machina with the Farpoint world along with tornadoes from Just Cause 4.

Status
Not open for further replies.