• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Yaqza

Oct 27, 2017
Cross gen will be a very common theme for 2020-2021, with a fair bit going into 2022.

Phantom Pain came out 2 years after ps4 launched and was cross gen. I think alot of people are going to be really upset if they think everyone is going to ditch a 100+ million install base overnight.
You are of course right about huge install base, but I remember very vividly that at the beginning of current gen cross-gen titles were overwhelmingly more popular on PS4 and Xbox One. New gen owners are more likely to buy games simply because they want to see those shiny titles in action.

Much

The Gif That Keeps on Giffing
Feb 24, 2018
I would dig this.

I'm just now realizing that at that time I'll have a 3 month old baby. It's all good right I'll still have time to play games.

Right Sanji?

Right? ;_;

I dont't think there is pizza mission?

Now I would be disappointed if it's not in the game.

I was just thinking about that LOL
Doesn't have to be a mission, but a nod to it would be cool

They confirmed he's working as a scientist now and he's 23, I don't think we'll be delivering any pizzas.

This gem deserves a place in the hall of fame for gaming history.

Mugen X

Oct 27, 2017
Colorado
Off topic but does anyone know if EZA talks about TLOUp2 during their impression vids?

I remember blood saying they were going to skip it because it was the same footage shown during the conference but so was Ghost and they talked about that.

janusff

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
Y'all think housemarque and sony will continue the launch game on playstation tradition? Or is that dead as well as arcade for them?

Sense

Oct 25, 2017

StuBurns

Self Requested Ban
Banned
Nov 12, 2017
I want them to make a Wipeout for PS5's launch. Remember that trailer in the Vita game, the early Wipeout competition looked a bit Roll Cage-esque? I want that.

Not sure that would count as 'AAA' though.

StuBurns

Self Requested Ban
Banned
Nov 12, 2017
I would a new Wipeout, but who would develop it now that Studio Liverpool has been closed?
Housemarque, that's what I meant. Who better? Fast, smooth, beautiful, arcadey action. I don't see their place in the 'AAA' market as something radically shifting from their recent work, and Wipeout seems like an apt fit for me.

Sony also love launching with racers. GT7 isn't going to be there, I don't think that Ridge Racer studio they founded with Bamco is happening anymore. Obviously they don't have Evolution.

asheliaX

Feb 3, 2018
The Seychelles
Housemarque, that's what I meant. Who better? Fast, smooth, beautiful, arcadey action. I don't see their place in the 'AAA' market as something radically shifting from their recent work, and Wipeout seems like an apt fit for me.

Sony also love launching with racers. GT7 isn't going to be there, I don't think that Ridge Racer studio they founded with Bamco is happening anymore. Obviously they don't have Evolution.
Ah, okay. Sorry, I thought you were referring to Sony when you said "them". But yeah, I can definitely see Housemarque making a Wipeout game. It's a really good fit, actually. I'm surprised it hasn't been brought up before!

Iwao

Oct 25, 2017
While Microsoft's E3 2018 was excellent, gave me four exclusives (finally!!!) that im very interested in and was an enjoyable well paced showcase, it at the same time is being overrated.

1. 2017 E3 sucked, plain and simple. Because of this, E3 2018 looks a lot better.

2. A year ago, it was after Scalebound, Fable Legends and that Phantom Dust remake were all cancelled and Lionhead was shut down. Adding five new studios this year looks great in general but not so much when you look at it in retrospect.

3. 50 GAMES. 50 GAMES. 50 GAMES.
Big deal. Once again, Microsoft and Spencer goes for quantity over quality. First, a whopping 20 games (40%) were in a shitty five minute Indies montage. I fucking hate this shit. It's fucking stupid and here's why - you can barely see/know what these games or what they play like and still have to research them afterwards on youtube. It's a fucking joke. Nothing against Indies but if you're going to do this shit, each game should be 30 seconds minimum. Not 10 seconds to where it goes so damn fast, it's a fucking blur. So happy that Sony hasn't done this shit in years because it would be the same shit and thus, no point.

Second, at least 15 games (30%) were multi-platform games. Yeah, it's great that they were shown. Hell, I added 6 games out of the 15 but im still buying them for PS4 Pro so it doesn't even matter. People will say that third parties are showing support? Are you kidding me? All of these publishers have been supporting the console since launch. Seriously, WTF? None of these publishers are going to abandon ship or some shit. They will all stay the course now, next gen and beyond. This isn't Nintendo and it's not a console that's soon to be two generations behind.

Third, with the exception of the best damn racing franchise period, Forza Horizon 4, there's not a single major exclusive launching for the second half of 2018. SOT and SOD 2 were above average games at best. Regardless of how anyone looks at Detroit, when you're getting surpassed by what is basically, a QTE story driven game, you've got some fucking problems and issues.

Fourth, the Japanese support is overrated. Yay!!! They get Nier Automata. Congratulations. Only took 15 months to accomplish. The few others, all multi-platform. The only positive is that they're starting to get some Japanese games the same day as PS4.

Fifth, subtract Halo Infinite, Gears in general and FH4...what do you have? You have Ori 2 which will be great, a delayed Crackdown 3 and a broken PUBG. And back to Gears, Gears 5 looks great no doubt but why the fuck is Tactics is PC only? And then people wonder why gamers get pissed off at the exclusives being both Xbox One/PC but yet Tactics is NOT on Xbox One? WTF?

4. The five new studios.
This is great, no doubt BUT we won't see shit from any of them until 2020 excluding We Happy Few. Also, it's all about the execution and outside of Playground Games, none of the other developers including Ninja Theory are established or at a high enough level yet. Plus, how they all work under Microsoft remains to be seen. They could be turned into Rare making fucking Kinect games for a decade. LMAO.

5. While again, I enjoyed Microsoft's showcase and would score it a 9/10, I also give Sony a 9/10 because at the end of the day, it's about the quality of the games. Ghost of Tsushima and TLOUP2 alone blew away everything on Microsoft's conference period. Add in Death Stranding which looked fucking amazing yet still don't know what it is outside of maybe being a Transporter???. Spider Man is going to be insane come September. Add in REmake2 which surpasses Shadows Die Twice (even though this game looks great and doesn't appear to have to have any of the SoulsBorne stuff I don't like) and crushes DMC 5. I mean seriously, come on. Control looks like what Quantum Break SHOULD have been but wasn't.

The worst part of Sony's conference was the shitty intermission BUT they showed COD/Destiny 2 which they were going to show anyway so at least they were shown and forgotten quickly. Plus, returning to the showcase with Ghost of Tsushima made me forget all about that shitty intermission as boom, I was all in for the second time on the same show.

In summary, when you put things in context, Microsoft's show was better because their previous show sucked where as Sony's E3 2017 was better than this year overall which makes them both looked as great (Microsoft) and a disappointment (Sony) but when you look at things a lot closer like I have, Microsoft still has a LONG WAYS TO GO.

Like my friend always says and I agree 100%, Sony always wins baby!!! And until they get beat and surpassed, that's simply the way that it's going to stay.

I really can't see what people are so buzzed about when it comes to Xbox at E3, other than their conference had a lot of great content. What to take away from this about new studios, is that Phil shut down almost DOUBLE the number of studios than they just announced, 2 years prior to E3 2018. They're still in a craterous deficit.

That was before Scalebound was cancelled.

So that's 9 studios or exclusive games that were in development or cancelled or ceased to exist.

2 of the new studios they acquired were already making exclusives for Xbox, State of Decay and Forza Horizon are already known entities, so that is pretty insignificant. One studio doesn't even appear to be built yet, Compulsion Games so far has made one bad game and one really poor Early Access game that has recently shown signs of improvement, and well... Ninja Theory is probably the only acquisition worth getting excited for.

Then you look back and compare the excitement for the announcement of these studios, and compare it directly to the narrative that began after Phil closed down all those studios back in 2016. I see it as making a mountain out of a molehill for sure. They're not back on track in this regard. 2018 is still poor form in terms of game releases, no greater than 2017 (which gamers and the media raked them over the coals for), and 2019 looks better but still very ho hum.

Xbox has the same amount of Japanese developer support than they did already, Japanese developers like From Software and Capcom have already been on their E3 stage in the recent past to announce games coming to their console, and XB1 was already going to get these games.

Solid conference, but people are without a doubt overselling what this E3 means for Xbox.

Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
ApexNorth
image.jpg

Majiebeast

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Both GoW and Spider-man will pass 10million within a year of their respective release.

Sony is having a damn good year so far.

dbcyber

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Can't wait to find out what Japan studios are cooking up.

PLEASE BE APE ESCAPE
PLEASE BE APE ESCAPE
PLEASE BE APE ESCAPE

It's really time. Bring back Ape Escape! I'd also love to see Japan Studio work with Platinum games on a super quirky game. I would love a AAA quirky game, get Platinum to channel their inner Clover for a new take on Godhand.

RexNovis

Oct 25, 2017
I really don't like all this talk about Sony buying existing studios. I would love to see them start a handful of new studios perhaps with some of the existing talent in their current WW studios taking more of a leadership role.

I really wish Sony would go out on a limb and try to court Amy Hennig back. If they really gave her the funding and the freedom I think she could do some truly great things heading up a new team/studio. To me it looks like an absolute no brainier but for whatever reason Sony doesn't seem interested.

tiebreaker

Oct 25, 2017
I really don't like all this talk about Sony buying existing studios. I would love to see them start a handful of new studios perhaps with some of the existing talent in their current WW studios taking more of a leadership role.

I really wish Sony would go out on a limb and try to court Amy Hennig back. If they really gave her the funding and the freedom I think she could do some truly great things heading up a new team/studio. To me it looks like an absolute no brainier but for whatever reason Sony doesn't seem interested.

Yeah, creating a new studio is better, but I reckon it's a lot more work than just buying an established one.

On another note, why is Sony focusing so much of their studios in USA? They could try to find talents in other regions.

Regarding Amy Hennig, she could work with that new studio/team in San Diego. But she probably already has another gig with EA.

StuBurns

Self Requested Ban
Banned
Nov 12, 2017
Spider-Man will be huge, and it will be ever-green. SM2 will be PS5 only, PS4 will be getting bought for the next five years to some degree. It is going to sell an obscene amount.

Status
Not open for further replies.