• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 31, 2017
Let's do something fun spanning the past four generations.

To celebrate Sony's first party output since the PS1, let's put them into two categories: Sony's Game of the Generation, and Sony's most replayable game that generation (it could also be their best game as well). So here's an example:

PS1:

Best: Probably Crash Warped, which has aged as a very solid and fun platformer and found a good balance between difficulty, secrets and fun.
Most Replayable: Twisted Metal 2

This was their weakest generation as they didn't have a robust crop of first party studios yet, and many of their published games were simply regular third party games like Final Fantasy VII (yup, co-published by Sony).

PS2:

Best: Shadow of the Colossus, a game whose influence could be felt years in the future. Cory Barlog, during one of his interviews about God of War, talked about Shadow of the Colossus' feeling of exploration and discovery when discussing God of War.
Most Replayable: Twisted Metal Black or Amplitude, probably. I don't know how their hours compare.

Here, we begin to see improvements in their published games and the size of their first party studios. 2005's GOTY contenders had two Sony games (God of War and SOTC), along with games like RE4 and Guitar Hero.

PS3:

Best and Most Replayable: The Last of Us. I assume not everyone would consider TLOU infinitely replayable, but I've returned to it around once a year and never get sick of exploring the abandoned neighborhoods, city blocks, sewers, etc. and piecing together what happened and using a shiv to those wonderful doors.

Here, we're really seeing the fruits of their growth. Games like Uncharted 2 and The Last of Us dominated GOTY awards. Games like God of War 3, LittleBigPlanet, Demon's Souls and Uncharted 3 were competitive. There were still some issues that many games last gen had, worse frame rates for some of their bigger and more expensive games being the big one for me, but their crop of games really showed improvements.

PS4:

Best and Most Replayable: Bloodborne

There's still time to really see what will influence the most and how often I'll come back to certain games this gen, but so far, I've come back to Bloodborne a bunch of times, I've gotten what would have been several plats had my trophies reset just because I like doing everything, and it's one of the best experiences I've had in gaming full-stop. Will games like Horizon or God of War or Uncharted 4/Lost Legacy fill that as well? Will I return to Last Guardian and remember why I loved it so much? Will upcoming games like Spider-Man, Death Stranding, Dreams, Ghost of Tsushima and Last of Us Part II compete for those spots?

I can totally see that. But for now, it's all Bloodborne.

Last edited:

StuBurns

Self Requested Ban
Banned
Nov 12, 2017
PSX is tough as there are so many questionable ones, like they published FFVII it the US, but it doesn't really count.

Gran Turismo 2 was my favourite 'real' Sony published PS1 game.

2, Ico
P, Motorstorm Arctic Edge
3, Journey
V, SoundShapes
4, Bloodborne

Thorrgal

Oct 26, 2017
It was like 7k below in the UK, had the Switch version released, I would have won...

That's irrelevant. The point is you think anyone who is critical of a Sony published game is a fanboy who doesn't have a PS4. You are wrong. Some of us really don't care which box a game is played on.

In general he's right though. Of course not every single one of them, but you know, most of them, as in the majority

Oct 31, 2017
PSX is tough as there are so many questionable ones, like they published FFVII it the US, but it doesn't really count.

Gran Turismo 2 was my favourite 'real' Sony published PS1 game.

2, Ico
P, Motorstorm Arctic Edge
3, Journey
V, SoundShapes
4, Bloodborne

That's what made it so freaking hard. xD~~

Like, Tekken 3 was published in Europe, but I have a REALLY hard time classifying that since it's not a Sony-owned IP and games like that were so frequent on the PS1. It's honestly amazing how different they were then: 989 and Psygnosis were also publishing arms, a huge amount of their games were simply third party games they paid to publish, and their owned studios were small in number. Naughty Dog and Incognito (which was formed from Singletrac guys) were not just part of the family officially, Insomniac was still independent as they are now, Sucker Punch wasn't a part of the family, Guerrilla and Media Molecule didn't even exist yet.

SolidSnakex

Oct 25, 2017
PSone
Best - Gran Turismo 2
Most Replayable - Gran Turismo 2

PS2
Best - Shadow of the Colossus
Replayable - Gran Turismo 4

PS3
Best -
Replayable - Gran Turismo 6

Too early for the PS4.

Much

The Gif That Keeps on Giffing
Feb 24, 2018
It's just beautiful to watch all these gifs and pictures on the internet. Reminds me how much fun I had with my first playthrough of Horizon Zero Dawn and The Frozen Wilds. Over 130 hours.
Its story, the awesome combat, the amazing world of HZD, the soundtrack, the main characte Aloy.... everything is just so damn great. That's the reason why it's still my game of the generation.
It even beats God of War for me (by a nose).

Never expected to like Aloy as much as I have come to. She became one of my favourite video game protagonists, and one of the most relatable well-written female characters which I feel is hard to come by, at least from a male perspective where this industry is dominated by male protagonists (this isn't necessarily a complaint as such, I'm just saying more female protagonists isn't a bad thing and is something I'd like to see!). I really wanna see more female protagonists in gaming with the likes of Aloy and Lara.

To celebrate Sony's first part output since the PS1, let's put them into two categories: Sony's Game of the Generation, and Sony's most replayable game that generation (it could also be their best game as well).

What an awesome idea!

PS1: I never owned one, honestly so I cannot comment.
PS2: For me personally it was KH2. Literally most of my childhood was that game, but I need to dip into Shadow of Colossus it would seem.
PS3: As for the best, it's a toughie. I'd chalk it up to either Uncharted 2 or TLOU.
PS4: Horizon Zero Dawn for me, but it's literally no contest or argument in that you could say either God of War or Bloodborne deserve this spot. All are in my top 5.

Oct 25, 2017
PS3: TLOU for both best game and best replayabilty
PS4: Gen hasn't finished yet, but it's currently between GoW, Bloodborne, UC4 for best game.

Replayabilty is tough because GoW is too recent for me to judge, UC4 I beat 3 times so that's pretty good but I'll go with Bloodborne since I had like 9+ characters.

I can't do PS1/PS2 since it's too hard and I'd have to really give it some thought.

John Bender

Oct 27, 2017

To celebrate Sony's first party output since the PS1, let's put them into two categories: Sony's Game of the Generation, and Sony's most replayable game that generation (it could also be their best game as well). So here's an example:
PS1
Best: Arc the Lad 1+2 (basically one game)
Most Replayable: Arc the Lad 1+2 (basically one game)

PS2
Best: Shadow of the Colossus
Most Replayable: Jak and Daxter

PS3
Best: The Last of Us
Most Replayable: The Last of Us

PS4
Best: Horizon Zero Dawn
Most Replayable: Horizon Zero Dawn / God of War / Detroit: Become Human (Can't decide!)

daniel77733

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
PlayStation
Best - Twisted Metal
Replayable - Can't really say since I played few Sony published games back then.

PlayStation 2
Best - God of War 2
Replayable - Same as PlayStation. My only replayed game on PS2 was RE4.

PlayStation 3
Best - The Last of Us
Replayable - Uncharted 2

PlayStation 4
Best - God of War
Replayable - Uncharted: Lost Legacy

fanboy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Slovakia
Y
I mean I like the game but the story is garbage also the constant interruptions is really annoying.

It has that Ubisoft slime all over it too.

Yep, totally ubisoft game. Trash and stupid story, trash characters, boring cutscenes,, almost no new gameplay mechanics from previous entry, boring and stereotypical missions (that endings lol) and... geez, i really wont play fc6 because of the damn bow again. Its a 7/10 max. For me, player that has played every entry in the series, more like 6/10.

They really werent listening to what Vaas was saying for the whole FC3, were they?

Zukkoyaki

Oct 25, 2017
PlayStation
Best: Spyro 3

PlayStation 2
Best: God of War 2
Most Replayable: Wipeout Fusion

PlayStation 3
Most Replayable: LittleBigPlanet

PlayStation 4 (So far)
Most Replayable: Until Dawn

Loudninja

Oct 27, 2017
Y

Yep, totally ubisoft game. Trash and stupid story, trash characters, boring cutscenes,, almost no new gameplay mechanics from previous entry, boring and stereotypical missions (that endings lol) and... geez, i really wont play fc6 because of the damn bow again. Its a 7/10 max. For me, player that has played every entry in the series, more like 6/10.

They really werent listening to what Vaas was saying for the whole FC3, were they?
Agreed I dont mine not having new gameplay mechanics but ti did get stale quick and it feels like you were never making progress.

Oct 31, 2017
PlayStation
Best: Spyro 3

PlayStation 2
Most Replayable: Wipeout Fusion

PlayStation 3
Most Replayable: LittleBigPlanet

PlayStation 4 (So far)
Most Replayable: Until Dawn

Did you work on a lot of levels in LBP? Starcraft was one of my most replayed games, not just for fun factor, but because of all the maps I made and others made.

Zukkoyaki

Oct 25, 2017
Did you work on a lot of levels in LBP? Starcraft was one of my most replayed games, not just for fun factor, but because of all the maps I made and others made.
Not really but I did use it once to create an interactive presentation in a class I took in college lol. Everyone loved it.

But like with Starcraft, the community ensured a never-ending flow of cool content, hence my choice!

Nov 8, 2017
Bottom right. Wigwam Motels are a real thing: did we know Days Gone was going to have actual IRL landmarks in it?

I remember seeing Mt. Bachelor and Mt. Washington and the lava beds and a few road signs for real places. In an interview, the devs said that they've taken the game to some area high schools to talk about game development and the kids were super excited to recognize so many things from central Oregon.

N.47H.4N

Oct 27, 2017
PS1
I never owned one :/

PS2
Most Replayable: God of War 2

PS3
Most Replayable: The Last of Us

PS4
Best: God of War
Most Replayable: Detroit: Become Human

OP
OP
JuanLatino

JuanLatino

Cerny’s little helper
Oct 25, 2017
Ps1:
Best: Crash Bandicoot
Most Replayable: Porsche Challenge

Ps2:
Best: Getaway
Most Replayable: Gran Turismo 3

Ps3:
Best: The Last of Us/Uncharted 2
Most Replayable: All Stars Battle Royale

Ps4:
Best: God of War/Uncharted 4
Most Replayable: Bloodborne

Skeeter49

I wish Jim Ryan would eat me
Oct 25, 2017
We're doing lists?
Uh
PS1:
Best: MGS
Most replayable: Resident Evil 2

PS2:
Best: MGS3
Most replayable: MGS3

PS3:
Best: TLOU
Most Replayable: TLOU

PS4
Most replayable: Bloodborne.

StuBurns

Self Requested Ban
Banned
Nov 12, 2017
Funny that you missed what they were doing, and half of your choices were still Sony published.

Mezoly

Jimbo Replacement
Oct 25, 2017
PS1
Best: MGS / Crash 2 for Sony published.
Most replayable: Crash Bandicoot 2

PS2
Most replayable: God of War 1

PS3
Best: TLOU
Most Replayable: Nothing for me here.

PS4
Best: God of War
Most replayable: Bloodborne.

StuBurns

Self Requested Ban
Banned
Nov 12, 2017
The mini PS1 came with a Dualshock with big triggers?

Man, I thought ND fucked up in UC4. I feel bad now.

Skeeter49

I wish Jim Ryan would eat me
Oct 25, 2017
Early PS1 and PS2 Sony IP's didn't appeal to me much besides Syphon Filter.

I wasn't as big on platformers and JRPG's as I am now. PS3 and PS4 is when Sony IP's really took off and impressed me.

famikon

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
ベラルーシ

PS1
Best: Wip3out
Most replayable: Gran Turismo

PS2
Best: Shadow of the Colossus
Most replayable: Gran Turismo 3 A-spec

PS3
Most Replayable: WipEout HD

PS4
Best: Gravity Rush 2
Most replayable: WipEout Omega Collection

z1yin9c

Nov 8, 2017

I thought it includes all the games....

PS: never played a PS

PS2/PS3: only games I played there were annual PES.....

PS4
Favorite: Horizon Zero Dawn
Replay: Bloodborne / Horizon Zero Dawn, hard to tell

noctix

Oct 27, 2017
PS1
Never owned

PS2
Most replayable: God of War 1

PS3
Best: Uncharted 2
Most Replayable: God of War 3

PS4
Best: God of War|Horizon Zero Dawn
Most replayable: Horizon Zero Dawn

Zukkoyaki

Oct 25, 2017
Early PS1 and PS2 Sony IP's didn't appeal to me much besides Syphon Filter.

I wasn't as big on platformers and JRPG's as I am now. PS3 and PS4 is when Sony IP's really took off and impressed me.
I'll echo that! Outside of the occasional series like Spyro and Ratchet (sooo outside of Insomniac titles) I wasn't that into Sony IPs until God of War, Shadow of the Colossus, Uncharted, etc.

SolidSnakex

Oct 25, 2017
Aren't the Uncharted and The Last of Us movies still supposed to be a thing?

TLoU's movie is dead at least for now

And even I worked on the script for The Last of Us film, which was a direct adaptation. And now, having some separation from it, I look back and be like, 'I don't want that movie to be made.' Maybe there's something that could be done in [that] world, either focusing on other characters or other time. But, for me – and I know for Naughty Dog and for a lot of our fans – Nolan North is Nathan Drake, Ashley Johnson is Ellie, Troy Baker is Joel. And it would be very disorienting to see someone else in that role.

http://www.slashfilm.com/the-last-of-us-movie-2/

Soprano

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I'm noticing the lack of discussion in first party games threads. I hope this overblown crossplay nonsense isn't driving people away. Some complaints are legitimate, the majority is using it for console wars to prop up their console of choice. So if it's bothering you please ignore it.

OrdinaryPrime

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm noticing the lack of discussion in first party games threads. I hope this overblown crossplay nonsense isn't driving people away. Some complaints are legitimate, the majority is using it for console wars to prop up their console of choice. So if it's bothering you please ignore it.

From what I've seen a lot of people seem to have moved to discord because of how much of that was going on. Unfortunate.

Donthizz

Oct 26, 2017

Yeahit drove people away, but not because of the discussion. Mods were the real reason people moved, it got out of control for a bit.

Elfstruck

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
The negativity on this forum, not just this thread really is insufferable. I don't bother to go on the gaming side anymore, which is a shame, because I used to love reading people's thoughts.

Soprano

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
From what I've seen a lot of people seem to have moved to discord because of how much of that was going on. Unfortunate.

That's too bad. I don't participate much but i love reading post from the usuals.

Yeahit drove people away, but not because of the discussion. Mods were the real reason people moved, it got out of control for a bit.

I see. Well at least they're able to carry on the discussion elsewhere.

The negativity on this forum, not just this thread really is insufferable. I don't bother to go on the gaming side anymore, which is a shame, because I used to love reading people's thoughts.

People hold their opinions way too strongly sometimes. Slowly turning into the other site i guess.

OrdinaryPrime

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

I was thinking about this the other day. Off Topic is rightfully negative with what's going on in the world and the United States in particular, but do you remember how this site started? With everyone being civil and trying to be different than the old site? Be better as Kratos says? I just wonder where exactly we've fallen into the same tribalist bullshit when it comes to consoles that we did previously.

I like Sony's games way more than Nintendo's or Microsoft's. But I don't particularly like what Sony is doing on multiple fronts when handling this Fortnite thing. Consequently as a function of where we are as a society, it's used as some sort of bludgeon because winning a discussion is more important than learning something. Or coming to an understanding. I'm as guilty as everyone else. Plainly, it just sucks.

Elfstruck

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
People hold their opinions way too strongly sometimes. Slowly turning into the other site i guess.

I was thinking about this the other day. Off Topic is rightfully negative with what's going on in the world and the United States in particular, but do you remember how this site started? With everyone being civil and trying to be different than the old site? Be better as Kratos says? I just wonder where exactly we've fallen into the same tribalist bullshit when it comes to consoles that we did previously.

I like Sony's games way more than Nintendo's or Microsoft's. But I don't particularly like what Sony is doing on multiple fronts when handling this Fortnite thing. Consequently as a function of where we are as a society, it's used as some sort of bludgeon because winning a discussion is more important than learning something. Or coming to an understanding. I'm as guilty as everyone else. Plainly, it just sucks.

It all comes down to moderation, but heh, I dont want to get started on that.

Status
Not open for further replies.