• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Penny Royal

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
QLD, Australia
I don't see why these "guy from company is a presenter at VGAs" things deserve threads. They're presenting awards. It's not a confirmation of an announcement, just a confirmation that they're handing out an award to someone who probably doesn't have any public speaking skills.

Tbf tho it's PHIL so his spiel presenting the award will probably generate a record 'Phil Spencer Threads Per Sentence' (PSTPS) count on here.

Oct 25, 2017
This might be isolated tweets but I've seen quite several people from the press saying that God of War is still their game of the year:

Honestly, for some reason, I just can not finish RDR2.

I don't know what it is. I mean, I like open world games. I loved Odyssey and want to go back to it soon.

You know what..........

I think I might like Odyssey more...........

LiquidSolid

Oct 26, 2017
For next year I could see

MLB 19
Days Gone
Concrete Genie
Dreams
Medievil
Nioh 2 ?
GOW standalone a la TLL

then DS, Ghost, and TLOU2 in 2020
Nah, I don't think a standalone GoW expansion will happen, nor do I think the Big Three will all come out in 2020. And while Sony will probably publish Nioh 2, I wouldn't really count it as part of their lineup.

My guess is Death Stranding will come out in 2019 (with the release window announced at TGAs), with TLOU2 and GoT in 2020. I'm also guessing PSX 2019 will be the PS4's last hurrah before the PS5 is announced in Early 2020 and Sony will use it to fill out the PS4's 2020 lineup, so it won't just be MLB, TLOU2 and GoT.

I don't see why these "guy from company is a presenter at VGAs" things deserve threads. They're presenting awards. It's not a confirmation of an announcement, just a confirmation that they're handing out an award to someone who probably doesn't have any public speaking skills.
Yeah, I think all the presenter announcements should've just been posted in a single thread, they're nowhere near important enough to deserve a separate thread for each one.

Also, I'm not a fan of executives presenting awards, especially if it's to their own first party games (like Phil apparently did with Ori in 2015). Shit's weird.

SolidSnakex

Oct 25, 2017

I don't know what it is. I mean, I like open world games. I loved Odyssey and want to go back to it soon.

You know what..........

Where are you at? Because when the story really hits its stride it's topnotch throughout.

Terraforce

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017

You know what..........

Man seeing comments like this always question what in RDR2 exactly struck a cord with me. Everyone was fawning over RDR1 for years, but it never stuck with me. But RDR2 definitely feels like what I imagined most people who viewed the first game so highly felt about it.

Personally my top games of this year are: DQ XI > Spider-Man > Monster Hunter World > RDR2 > God of War

God of War was definitely great, but in hindsight it felt a bit short and I felt the final act wasn't as strong as it could have been from a gameplay perspective.

False Witness

Oct 25, 2017
If you've played up to the O'Driscoll main camp part in the intro of the game, you're qualified to talk about almost all encounters in the rest of the game.

I think RDR2 is one of those games that's better to watch than to play and I absolutely adored the first game.

TheRulingRing

Banned
Apr 6, 2018
I don't know how people have managed to jump to the conclusion that the God of War team's excitement for The Game Awards is due to them announcing new content...

I will never understand the world's fascination with that man. He has all the charisma of a 1980s-era Disney animatronic.

Might be the first time I've ever agreed with one of your posts lol.

I'm sure that he's made some really consumer friendly moves for Xbox and has turned the ship right around, but I really can't stand his style. The way he talks so slooowly and deliiiberately while reading from the teleprompter, the typically fake casual clothing to connect with your youthful audience - just wear a goddamn suit like a professional and stop pretending. He just strikes me as the typical corporate salesman type.

Jack Tretton had some elements of this too, although he had the ability to break out of it when necessary and at least to appear more natural. Shawn Layden just appears perpetually on edge, but that gives him an air of authenticity I guess.

Or maybe no one else cares and I'm being unfair.

Kyoufu

Oct 26, 2017
With the exception of Jim Ryan, i'd expect every one of the recognizable Sony execs to at least be on stage during the PS5 reveal. They all have a place to come out and speak.

I'm not sure what Shawn would do/say on the PS5 stage tbh. That's really more about hardware/software developers.

I'm going with #TeamNoShawnOnPS5Stage

Deleted member 36493

User requested account closure
Dec 19, 2017
Whoever made the decision for E3 2016 to open with the live orchestra needs to be involved with planning the PS5 event.

Memento

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
So, now that we know TLOU2 wont be there...

About the other 2 big ones from the trifecta... Death Stranding and Ghost of Tsushima.

Death Stranding is a lock. My question is: do you guys think we are going to finally see combat gameplay or is it going to be another cryptic 8 minutes mindfuck trailer?

And Ghost of Tsushima: do you guys think we will see it at all?

Zukkoyaki

Oct 25, 2017

About the other 2 big ones from the trifecta... Death Stranding and Ghost of Tsushima.

Death Stranding is a lock. My question is: do you guys think we are going to finally see combat gameplay or is it going to be another cryptic 8 minutes mindfuck trailer?

We're due for proper Death Stranding gameplay. I don't think another overly long bizarre trailer would go over super well after like what... 4 of them?

I don't think Tsushima will be there at all. If we see anything else first party (unlikely) I think it would be Days Gone or Dreams since they're the next big games on the docket.

noyram23

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I will never understand the world's fascination with that man. He has all the charisma of a 1980s-era Disney animatronic.
Same here, he has that douche face unfortunately or maybe it's because i'm just bias and I don't care much about MS these days (at least before their acquisitions bare fruits).
I have a feeling anyone expecting sony first party news will be highly disappointed tomorrow
I mean people here aren't expecting anything outside of new Death Stranding footage? Or did I miss something?

DangerMouse

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not sure what Shawn would do/say on the PS5 stage tbh. That's really more about hardware/software developers.

I'm going with #TeamNoShawnOnPS5Stage
I think he's very likely to be there because of this, since he's in charge of Sony's software developers along with Shuhei.

Dunno. There's Michael Denny (who was at the PS4 reveal) and Scott Rohde as well.
Oh yeah, I just skimmed through that to see since I didn't remember all the people who were the presenters. Denny did a good job with the enthusiasm kicking off the games section back then. I wonder if one of the reasons he got that spot was also that Guerrilla, one of the Sony Europe studios, had one of the big first party showings with Killzone Shadow Fall. So maybe he'll do it again especially if HZD 2 is one of the big headliners?
Plus he's probably slightly higher in the company now too since then with Ryan moving up.

Shairi

Aug 27, 2018

I don't expect GoT to be there. But if there is a trailer, we will most likely see the way of the ghost. I think a lot of people will be surprised that Ghost of Tsushima offers a completely different way of gameplay than what was shown at E3.

Really? This is how we got one of the best E3 presentations?

Right? It all started as a joke but then ... epicness!

Kyoufu

Oct 26, 2017
I wonder if one of the reasons he got that spot was also that Guerrilla, one of the Sony Europe studios, had one of the big first party showings with Killzone Shadow Fall. So maybe he'll do it again especially if HZD 2 is one of the big headliners?

Yeah. Can't wait to see what they're doing with that game.

SuperBoss

Oct 25, 2017
They've been streaming pretty regularly. You should check out their twitch if you're thirsty.

Oh I have been. I'm just really anticipating that beta announcement they've been promising, and if the beta is really coming in 2018 like they keep saying, the VGAs would be the perfect place to make that happen in a big way.

Electro

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Vienna
Oh I have been. I'm just really anticipating that beta announcement they've been promising, and if the beta is really coming in 2018 like they keep saying, the VGAs would be the perfect place to make that happen in a big way.

Would be the perfect place but from what Mm devs said, sounds like Dreams will not be at VGA...
No PSX, zero VGA hype from Sony (no Tlou2, no Kojima and no Dreams).

:/

LiquidSolid

Oct 26, 2017
Dunno. There's Michael Denny (who was at the PS4 reveal) and Scott Rohde as well.
Michael Denny was probably there because from what I understand, SCEE were the ones who hosted that event, even though it was in New York. Now that Sony's restructured and they're based in California, I doubt that will happen again. I think Shawn will be the main presenter of all their first party games going forward, since Shu sadly doesn't seem to take part in many events anymore. The last one he took part in was PSX 2016, he wasn't even on the PSX 2017 couch.

I think he's very likely to be there because of this, since he's in charge of Sony's software developers along with Shuhei.

Oh yeah, I just skimmed through that to see since I didn't remember all the people who were the presenters. Denny did a good job with the enthusiasm kicking off the games section back then. I wonder if one of the reasons he got that spot was also that Guerrilla, one of the Sony Europe studios, had one of the big first party showings with Killzone Shadow Fall. So maybe he'll do it again especially if HZD 2 is one of the big headliners?
Plus he's probably slightly higher in the company now too since then with Ryan moving up.
Michael Denny is the head of WWS Europe (while Rohde is the head of WWS America), there's isn't much room for him to go any higher. :P

Status
Not open for further replies.