• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Saint-14

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
I don't need it to be a stylish action game - the combat generally looks fine - but I need simply moving around the world to be fun (something most open world games fail at but something Sucker Punch has previously specialized in).
I'm more talking about the speed of traversal and exploration. I am just done with riding a horse around a gigantic map. We've done that too many times this gen. There need to be ways to move around the map and get around story areas that aren't just that - give us speedy runs, high jumps, wall movement, teleports, etc. All the stuff SP is known for.

Re: the combat, it doesn't need to be DMC-level. It just needs to be more interesting than what they've shown so far. A really long open world game is going to be a chore if every combat sequence is just slow-paced duels where you die in one hit but enemies inexplicably take dozens to take down.
We've seen the horse, climbing and grappling hook, what else are they gonna offer? They already said there won't be supernatural elements as far as I know so not much else left to do.

g-m1n1

Oct 27, 2017
Luxembourg
Sony seeking to expand their Liverpool operations (XDev). Negotiating to move away from the Technology Park to take up residence at the waterfront in the former Echo building once renovation is complete early 2020. They want a significant amount of the office space. New location:

WaLLbbH.png
Source?

Dragoon

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
They revealed Ghost gameplay at E3 tho. I'm excited to see them expand tho and go more in depth, not sure if we'll be getting that at VGA tho.
I just mean I want to see more of it. I was blown away when I found out their E3 reveal was a fucking side mission. DS, I want to know as little as possible. After explorer video from E3, I'm done watching it.

LiquidSolid

Oct 26, 2017
I'm more talking about the speed of traversal and exploration. I am just done with riding a horse around a gigantic map. We've done that too many times this gen. There need to be ways to move around the map and get around story areas that aren't just that - give us speedy runs, high jumps, wall movement, teleports, etc. All the stuff SP is known for.

Re: the combat, it doesn't need to be DMC-level. It just needs to be more interesting than what they've shown so far. A really long open world game is going to be a chore if every combat sequence is just slow-paced duels where you die in one hit but enemies inexplicably take dozens to take down.
They're trying to make a realistic samurai game, not fuckin Ninja Gaiden, I think it's safe to say most of that stuff won't be in there. I think it's a good thing, they're going out of their comfort zone and doing something very different.

Liverpool Studio is closed, user talks about XDev.
Sony had a number of different teams at their Liverpool campus, including Liverpool Studio, XDev, Q&A, etc. But yeah, Liverpool Studio was the only one that was closed down.

famikon

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
ベラルーシ

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
They're trying to make a realistic samurai game, not fuckin Ninja Gaiden, I think it's safe to say most of that stuff won't be in there. I think it's a good thing, they're going out of their comfort zone and doing something very different.

I guess I would just rather Sucker Punch not be wasted on the bland "REALISM" kick the industry seems to have nowadays. I loved the inFamous games because they were a joy to just play. Getting around the game world was always entertaining, and even if the individual games (particularly Second Son) may have had their disappointing elements, at their worst they were still fun games to get around the game world and play around in.

Tsushima looks like the opposite of that, and it disappoints me to see it. It just looks like every other "graphics and presentation first, gameplay distant second" game we're seeing nowadays.

Modest_Modsoul

Living the Dreams
Oct 29, 2017
Huge props to Sucker Punch for Tsushima's art direction.

The graphics, details, colors, atmosphere, the wind, the leaves, etc.

Looking forward to see more of it.

Hopefuly maybe at TGA. ._.

Last edited:

8byte

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt-account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Kansas
I guess I would just rather Sucker Punch not be wasted on the bland "REALISM" kick the industry seems to have nowadays. I loved the inFamous games because they were a joy to just play. Getting around the game world was always entertaining, and even if the individual games (particularly Second Son) may have had their disappointing elements, but even at their worst they were still fun games to get around the game world and play around in.

Tsushima looks like the opposite of that, and it disappoints me to see it. It just looks like every other "graphics and presentation first, gameplay distant second" game we're seeing nowadays.

Which games are graphics and presentation first, gameplay "distant second"? What makes you think Sucker Punch is making gameplay "second"? Furthermore, what makes you think games need super powers or to high fiction to have good gameplay?

Saint-14

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
I'm guessing you haven't played most of the big games in a long time because what you said is far from the reality, most of the big games nowadays are focusing more and more on combat besides the story.

Electro

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Vienna
I'm guessing you haven't played most of the big games in a long time because what you said is far from the reality, most of the big games nowadays are focusing more and more on combat besides the story.

Don't see your quote but I am sure who it is :D

Just in time for a totally new WipEout on PS5... A man can dream, right?

Not unrealistic because Wipeout is amazing especially in VR and I bet Sony will make a new one for PSVR2/TV :)

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Which games are graphics and presentation first, gameplay "distant second"? What makes you think Sucker Punch is making gameplay "second"? Furthermore, what makes you think games need super powers or to high fiction to have good gameplay?

Plodding around an over-large open world map on a horse and then getting killed in one or two hits by a random doofus with a sword or an arrow to the back and then having to reload from a checkpoint doesn't sound fun in any way. Maybe this is just a fundamental disconnect between the ways you and I enjoy games, but I just find absolutely nothing appealing about the gameplay framework they've set up so far. Maybe there's more to it than we've been shown, but "we made open world Bushido Blade" is just the opposite of interesting to me because Bushido Blade was a terrible game.

I am a big fan of Sucker Punch's earlier games, and acting like I'm somehow being irrational for hoping that they carry on some of the things they're best at in their new game feels a bit silly to me.

DangerMouse

Oct 25, 2017
This.
So excited for that game.

I'm particularly excited at the prospect of having two gameplay approach

5l0q887x0i201.gif
Yeah, having two styles in the game is gonna be really neat.

Last edited:

8byte

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt-account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Kansas
Plodding around an over-large open world map on a horse and then getting killed in one or two hits by a random doofus with a sword or an arrow to the back and then having to reload from a checkpoint doesn't sound fun in any way. Maybe this is just a fundamental disconnect between the ways you and I enjoy games, but I just find absolutely nothing appealing about the gameplay framework they've set up so far. Maybe there's more to it than we've been shown, but "we made open world Bushido Blade" is just the opposite of interesting to me because Bushido Blade was a terrible game.

I am a big fan of Sucker Punch's earlier games, and acting like I'm somehow being irrational for hoping that they carry on some of the things they're best at in their new game feels a bit silly to me.

Do we know any of this? I mean, you have no idea if the map is "over-large". Do you know that one or two hits is a death blow? Do you know these things, or are you extrapolating from a few key words in interviews that paint a vague idea of what mechanics will be at play? We know exceptionally little about the gameplay frame work.

We know that combat can be stealth, we know that you can accomplish one hit kills on enemies at given moments, and we know you'll be able to block and exchange blows with your sword. These could all be incredibly fun mechanics with a lot of divergent paths as you progress and unlock different skills...but trying to paint a picture this early when details are so scarce seems a bit strange to me.

It's not irrational, it's just assumption. You're assuming that since it isn't a fantasy title, but is instead grounded a bit more in reality, that it will suck (to you). That seems like a reach. Maybe just wait for more details and information and then start to form these conclusions and have these discussions.

Tornak

Feb 7, 2018
While it's obvious and perfectly fine that you can be wary of the gameplay shown so far, we really know little about this game and its gameplay systems. Or the exploration, for that manner (and the things they talked about last year were, at least, encouraging if anything).

You can reduce any game/gameplay loop to a ridiculously unfair description, especially if you're already pissed that they're not really catering to your tastes (again, understandable in a way, but still unfair).

I'm so happy that Ghost of Tsushima exists. I don't know if it's going to be a good or a great game, but it definitely doesn't seem to just be another "muh realism" game, which is a silly complaint I feel. I enjoyed the inFAMOUS games quite a bit, but fuck no, I don't want them working on that series forever, nor not taking chances and risks.

Kerozinn

Banned
May 11, 2018
Not every game has to be for everyone. I would have no issue with being killed with 2hits.
Im playing NIOH (way of the strong ) right now with with only light armor (not that it matters) and many bosses and enemies can 1shot you or kill you in 2 hits.

LiquidSolid

Oct 26, 2017
I guess I would just rather Sucker Punch not be wasted on the bland "REALISM" kick the industry seems to have nowadays. I loved the inFamous games because they were a joy to just play. Getting around the game world was always entertaining, and even if the individual games (particularly Second Son) may have had their disappointing elements, at their worst they were still fun games to get around the game world and play around in.

While I'd agree the Infamous games were really fun to play, personally I feel like Sucker Punch's best games have been the first games in their series (Sly 1 and Infamous 1), where there's a lot of rough edges but also a lot of creativity. After those they seemed to refine those series more and more and they got blander and blander with each new installment (though I will say Festival of Blood was a really cool and creative experiment). So them doing something new, even if it doesn't have Infamous' fun traversal, is extremely exciting to me.

Also, I'm really not sure where you're getting the idea enemies will take a dozen hits to kill but you'll die in only one. We haven't seen anywhere near enough gameplay to come away with those impressions and going by how secretive Sucker Punch are being about it, I'm guessing what we've seen might not be representative of the final product. Having said that, assuming the combat system is good, I'd be pretty stoked for a one hit kill mode. I've never played Bushido Blade but one hit kill mode in Way of the Samurai is. Fucking. Amazing.

Oh, I thought Ryan was that until he moved up, and thought Denny was VP of WWS Europe and now moved up to the head position. :P
Noooo, Jim Ryan became head of SIE Europe in 2011, after Andrew House was promoted to SIE CEO. Pretty sure he comes from a business or marketing background too, nothing to do with game development.

DangerMouse

Oct 25, 2017
Noooo, Jim Ryan became head of SIE Europe in 2011, after Andrew House was promoted to SIE CEO. Pretty sure he comes from a business or marketing background too, nothing to do with game development.
Oh that's it, I knew he was business/marketing, I think that's where I was mixing it up yesterday. SIE Europe and SIE WWS Europe.

Last edited:
OP
OP
JuanLatino

JuanLatino

Cerny’s little helper
Oct 25, 2017
i tried to make this for the new thread as a intro...but i don't really like it.

What do guys say?

ilmgelat.png

OP
OP
JuanLatino

JuanLatino

Cerny’s little helper
Oct 25, 2017
Terrible. Shameful.

Is what I would say if I were a bad person. xD

I like it! Wouldn't mind seeing a couple others (some driver or car from Gran Turismo, or a sleeper like a Resogun and a Resogun ship) but this is some good stuff, yo.

you're one of the good guys xD
Yeah in the case i use it , i would add some more characters

It's cool, a bit weird that the beginning of 'Playstation' is on a character though. Also, of you wanna make it more modern, the logo should be white (but i like the old nostalgia logo tbh)

yeah that was the idea - mix it with some nostalgia
the characters on the logo needs to be corrected yeah.

poklane

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
Saw this in the Death Stranding thread, looks like Norman Reedus is almost done with mo-cap and he expects the game to release early 2019 (which sounds quite doubtful to me) https://www.reddit.com/r/DeathStran...foglers_podcast_with_norman_reedus_interview/
Dan: ...Tell me about this video game.

Norman: Death Stranding?

D: Yeah.

N: Oh, it's nuts.

D: You showed me a trailer for it and it just blew my mind, man. So it's all motion capture, obviously.

N: It is, yeah.

D: Do you like doing that?

N: I've never done the kind that I'm doing on this, this is a whole 'nother level, and I've been in a lot of video games, but nothing like this. And Guillermo Del Toro, he just wrote me - he and Hideo and I were supposed to do a different game, and that game kinda fell apart, because Hideo and that company kinda fell apart. It was Kojima and Konami, they kinda broke up in Japan and Sony picked up Hideo and he started his own thing at Sony. So we started this other one, Guillermo is like, "You should do this," I was like "What is it?", he was like "You should do this." Then I met Hideo, he took me to the Video Game Music Awards, right. And he comes walking down the steps, and the steps are lighting up underneath him, y'know, he's like "I'm back!", and then 10,000 grown men, with tears in their eyes, are screaming like Elvis just walked in, and I'm like "Who the fuck is this guy?" He's like a genius, and then you talk to him and you're like "Oh, you are a genius." He would actually be great to direct with movies because you'll say "Y'know, maybe I should do it over here, like this?" and he'll go, "Hmm, why don't you add this on top of it?" So he doesn't go "No, no, no, I see it that way," whatever you bring to him, he just adds a couple more ingredients. He goes "Well, try that then," and you're like, it's even greater.

D: Wow, that's like Willy Wonka's chocolate factory, man.

N: Yeah, his explanations of stuff, the way his mind works, he's the real deal genius for sure.

D: So can you talk about the theme of the video game? Like what's the storyline, can you talk about any of that or what kinda character you play?

N: It's not the kinda game where you kill everybody in the room. It's a game of bringing people together. How you play it, is you're building bridges from here to there, and other people are doing the same, and you connect, and the character that I play is, he's got this phobia of being touched, and as you play the game the phobia leaves you. It's complicated but once you're in it, it doesn't seem as complicated. It's constantly surprising you with decisions left and right, and what comes at you, and it's a real brave game. It's visually stunning, and the story behind it, it's a whole 'nother level, y'know. It's not Pac-Man, it's not simple, but the philosophy behind it is one that everybody can get.

D: When is it available, it's still in development?

N: I think it's gonna be early this coming year, I have three more [mocap] sessions here in New York starting next week.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I've never played Bushido Blade but one hit kill mode in Way of the Samurai is. Fucking. Amazing.

Okay, if you're a fan of that mode in WotS I can totally understand why you're hyped. I could never manage it in those games, I'd always get nicked by some minor attack and drop dead and lose everything, hah.

Bundy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Regarding the "where are my new announcents" and "you revealed this game too early" guys:

Truth spoken!

TheRulingRing

Banned
Apr 6, 2018
Plodding around an over-large open world map on a horse and then getting killed in one or two hits by a random doofus with a sword or an arrow to the back and then having to reload from a checkpoint doesn't sound fun in any way. Maybe this is just a fundamental disconnect between the ways you and I enjoy games, but I just find absolutely nothing appealing about the gameplay framework they've set up so far.

The only game I can think of that pulls this kind of crap is everyone's favourite game Bloodborne (minus the horse).

Memento

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
The TLOU 2 years reveal react video that PlayStation channel uploaded 2 days ago is almost at 1 million views lol

Dat thirst

I thought for sure it was a teaser for a trailer at TGA... welp

SolidSnakex

Oct 25, 2017
The TLOU 2 years reveal react video that PlayStation channel uploaded 2 days ago is almost at 1 million views lol

Dat thirst

I thought for sure it was a teaser for a trailer at TGA... welp

The Tweet that ND sent out saying that it wouldn't be at the TGA's has 17k likes and the tweet Neil sent out in reply saying that they can't wait for us to see what they have is at nearly 10k.

Memento

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
The Tweet that ND sent out saying that it wouldn't be at the TGA's has 17k likes and the tweet Neil sent out in reply saying that they can't wait for us to see what they have is at nearly 10k.

My TGA hype absolutely died when I read that tweet... but I am glad they announced it early they wouldnt be there because I was like 100% sure we would get a Joel reveal trailer

Deleted member 31133

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 5, 2017
Will today be the day I get my dream announcement?

A full blown remake of Demon's Souls made by Bluepoint.

Going to say a prayer to The Maiden in Black before bed. Hopefully my wish comes true!

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Will today be the day I get my dream announcement?

A full blown remake of Demon's Souls made by Bluepoint.

Going to say a prayer to The Maiden in Black before bed. Hopefully my wish comes true!

As long as we get the Sixth Archstone reconstructed and some of the kinks in the game design (Tendencies, especially) ironed out.

DangerMouse

Oct 25, 2017
My TGA hype absolutely died when I read that tweet... but I am glad they announced it early they wouldnt be there because I was like 100% sure we would get a Joel reveal trailer
Yeah, on the one hand I think it's smart getting ahead of these things if you know your game is particularly high on the trailer demand list and you're not going to be in a show. Though it also makes sense that it's tricky. Since by doing that, you potentially spoil when you will be in a show in the future.

Status
Not open for further replies.