• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Should we move to a new OT after E3?

• Yes

Votes: 412 47.9%
  • No

Votes: 95 11.0%
  • Wait for the Playstation 5

Votes: 354 41.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 36493

User requested account closure
Dec 19, 2017
Yeah, I like vertical slice unveilings, however, Days Gone was lame and not really something the game is about, not with that much ammo.
Yeah actually you're right Days Gone is the exception. Plus they did that weird thing of revealing it early in the show and then saving the gameplay demo for the end. Still confused as to why they did that.

LiquidSolid

Oct 26, 2017
Lol, I actually wanted Insomniac Games to do a Ratchet & Clank (J)RPG.

Insomniac Games, because they quite versatile, and Ratchet is their creation, albeit not first party studio.
Well they did make a R&C MOBA-like, so that's not the craziest idea out there.

I think if for example Spider-Man trailer at E3 last year was the actual announcement there would have been way more positive vibes from the show.

Like let's ask ourselves: did we really need Spider-Man at E3 2016? First of all the trailer there wasn't particularly great. It was fun and all but reeked of being very early. No actual gameplay or release info of any kind. And the event already had big announcements that were enough to carry the show like God of War, Resident Evil 7, Death Stranding, Days Gone.

Sony just needs to be smarter about how to space these things around. There are a ton of other examples. I have said before but TLOU2 could just as well been revealed at E3 rather than PSX.
Nah, I think the 2016 announcement was the right call. We already started hearing things about Spider-Man in early 2016, so who knows how much would've leaked if they'd waited another year. Besides, Spider-Man's coming out before Days Gone and long before Death Stranding (though that was understandable, Sony and Kojima obviously wanted to strike while the iron was hot), so I'm not sure why you'd single it out between all those games.

I don't think announcing TLOU2, Spider-Man and even GoT at E3 2017 would've changed all that much anyway, it still would've been regarded as a disappointment because their new format was such a huge downgrade compared to their old one. There's no personality, very little diversity and seemingly no thought put into it, it's just boring and it brought the entire show down with it. It came off like a conference designed by focus group.

Dragoon

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
If you were given the keys to the castle, what changes what you make. Pretend you're playing Sims for Sony's decisions, 1st & 3rd party. Focus on getting even more variety on their games and expanding on their already dominant output. I think Japan area has been the most disappointing, so I will have more to talk about for that segment. This is me:

Lets start at home, Japan.

* Polyphony Digital:
- Add actual pressure to shake things up, they've been on cruise control for about a decade now. There's no reason for games to take this long when Microsoft is pumping them out that quickly. And if they're going to take this long, make some dramatic changes. Next game is Gran Turismo 7.
- Add back a proper career mode. Do something to invigorate the SP and revolutionize it so it's not too much of the same. Keep it deep and fun as it's been. Fucking do something unique.
- Expand on online. More modes. Add some time runs to compare vs friends.
- Damage implemented very well, visually and the way the car handles. Allow options for on/off.
- Create a track. Like GT6 was supposed to be but improved upon. Allow tracks to be used online.
- cars, cars, cars.

* Studio Japan
- continue helping other teams as they have
- continue making AA sized games
- create a AAA jRPG studio to make a big game. It will be a modernized jrpg if it's going to get that kind of push. Possibly action rpg in the vein of Kingdom Hearts. My suggestion is Legend of Dragoon reboot, but inferior options include a brand new IP.

* 3rd party

- 1 game exclusive deal like TLG with Ueda
- 1 game jRPG AAA deal to fund a game by Sakaguchi and his team
- try to fund another big game, collab with SE, Atlus, or Namco to get it done.
- Capcom collab: Devil May Cry V.
- Capcom collab: Deep Down. Where is this game?
- where the fuck is Bloodborne II
- continue pushing & supporting 3rd parties for games in Japan

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Europe

* 1st party-ish
The idea is to create a team and try out one game and see how it does. If successful, bring them in and start racking games. So give it a proper go.
- variant of Guerrilla Cambridge: Create Medievil II as a full blown proper sequel. This should be looking better than the latest Ratchet & Clank.
- Zipper: Create Socom as a AAA. Yes I know they COD, Battlefield, & Destiny. They should have a FPS or TPS that focuses heavily on online. People have been craving it, lets try this out. Don't noobify. People need to get gut. Strong focus on MP.

* 3rd party
- More focus on funding indie games. I'm not saying drop hundreds of millions, but them funding 4-7 top quality indies a year shouldn't be something
- fund more Housemarquee games. They should be working on 2 games at a time for Sony.
- Fund a mid-tier studio to focus on a single player game. Hellblade tier in terms of funding scale. New IP.
- Fund a mid-tier studio to focus on a online focused game. Hellblade tier in terms of funding scale. New IP.
- Strike another deal with Quantic Dream

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

US of A

* 1st party
- Santa Monica Studios - Get back the indie pumping machine and get them back to work. Didn't make any sense why they downsized there, they were doing well ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

* 3rd party
Crash Team Racing
- funded top dollars, should look a bit better than latest Ratchet & Clank.
- maps, and characters to be from Crash
- DLC to be famous 1st party characters, or expansions
- incorporate good trash talking like Uncharted 4 has
- add an incredible amount of customization options

PlayStation Fighting Game Reboot
- funded top dollars, should look a bit better than latest Ratchet & Clank.
- include iconic 1st party characters
- unlike that BULL-SHIT last game, give me 3rd party characters. Crash, Spyro, Dante, plethora of FF characters, Snake.. snake.. snakeeeeeeeeee!
- DLC packets. FF PS1 Bundle for ex, 2 mains from FFVII, FFVIII, & FFIX
- fix the fighting system, you get a life bar and can get TKO
- add an incredible amount of customization options
- big SP mode

- More focus on funding indie games. I'm not saying drop hundreds of millions, but them funding 4-7 top quality indies a year shouldn't be something (4-7 is US of A and EU combined)

John Bender

Oct 27, 2017
I think you can if you are smarter about it. I'll go a little deeper with my examples, I'll bold the titles that I shuffled around:

E3 2015: FF7, Shenmue 3, The Last Guardian, Horizon Zero Dawn
E3 2016: God of War, Resident Evil 7, Days Gone, Death Stranding, Dreams
E3 2017: Monster Hunter, Shadow of the Colossus, Spider-Man, TLOU2

Just shuffling a few titles make a big difference in making a more well rounded and consistent events.
Well they have three conferences to fill. E3, TGS and PSX (no PGW, Gamescom anymore plz). And they're doing a great job.
Just stop with the pre-show bullshit.

John Bender

Oct 27, 2017
I think one problem that Sony games will always have is that they're more "mature" experiences, and thus less universally appealing.

I've been thinking about this a lot actually. The Last of Us is obviously an amazing game, arguably the game of the previous generation, but there will be undoubtedly people who play it and don't enjoy it purely because of its adult themes. Compare that to, say, Super Mario Odyssey and it appeals to absolutely everyone because that's the whole point of the franchise.
This goes both ways. Mario Odyssey is obviously a good game. But there will be undoubtedly people who don't buy it because they're not interested in... let's call them "family friendly games with a cute main character".
Sony has both. From a strong 3rd party support (Nintendo not so much) and from their own studios (Uncharted, Spider-Man, Knack, Gravity Rush, Ratchet & Clank, The Last Guardian etc.)

get2sammyb

Editor at Push Square
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
UK
This goes both ways. Mario Odyssey is obviously a good game. But there will be undoubtedly people who don't buy it because they're not interested in... let's call them "family friendly games with a cute main character".
Sony has both. From a strong 3rd party support (Nintendo not so much) and from their own studios (Uncharted, Spider-Man, Knack, Gravity Rush, Ratchet & Clank, The Last Guardian etc.)

Yeah I completely agree. I think my point was just... With some of Sony's games I feel like they're more susceptible to one or two negative reviews purely because of the subject matter, whereas more universally appealing games are unlikely to suffer the same fate because they're literally designed to be enjoyed by all.

It makes sense in my head. XD

Oct 25, 2017
What was wrong with its 2017 showing? It looked fantastic.

Nothing looked wrong. I guess I'm a bit concerned about such a small studio by AAA standards making such an ambitious project when they haven't released a home console game in two generations. Days Gone seems more ambitious than Horizon Zero Dawn IMO with all the dynamic systems they have in play. On the positive side they are using UE4 so managing an in-house engine something to be concerned about. I just want it to be want to be really good.

fanboy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Slovakia
Well they have three conferences to fill. E3, TGS and PSX (no PGW, Gamescom anymore plz). And they're doing a great job.
Yeah, they should ditch pre shows. Just divide content and games to PSX, TGS and PGW/Gamescom (they need to have something for Europe and I am fine with PSX beeing in US - and I am from central Europe so...)

John Bender

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, they should ditch pre shows. Just divide content and games to PSX, TGS and PGW/Gamescom (they need to have something for Europe and I am fine with PSX beeing in US - and I am from central Europe so...)
Put PSX to Europe every 2 years. One time in the US, next one in EU. But they NEED E3 of course. So E3, TGS, PSX.

Oct 31, 2017
Yeah I completely agree. I think my point was just... With some of Sony's games I feel like they're more susceptible to one or two negative reviews purely because of the subject matter, whereas more universally appealing games are unlikely to suffer the same fate because they're literally designed to be enjoyed by all.

It makes sense in my head. XD

The Last of Us was one of their most mature games and one of their most critically acclaimed.

If they're great games, they'll get great reviews. It's happened with all their great games.

fanboy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Slovakia
Put PSX to Europe every 2 years. One time in the US, next one in EU. But they NEED E3 of course. So E3, TGS, PSX.

Maaan, they wont ignore Europe for a whole year. They will always be in europe with something kinda big.

And no, they wont be switching psx from one continent to the another, certainly not every year.. that would be actually pretty wtf decision because of... everything :D

Wandu

Oct 27, 2017

Since SIE is located in California, US now. I do not see them moving PSX to Europe ever as it has always been in California since its inception. This gen PGW has been every 2 years, and Gamescom was the first 2 years. I am not sure what the plan is for EU going forward

Henrik

Jan 3, 2018
but inferior options include a brand new IP.
If I had a avatar I would have made a avatar bet that RaySpace is a AAA title. I have never been more confident on something. If i'm wrong I admit it. But the feeling of that trademark in Canada gives me positive vibes and same date as Days Gone. If Bend Studio gives a chance on AAA so will the entire WWS.

Oct 28, 2017
Make PSX in Europe and you got a deal, otherwise your idea sucks. Europe is a larger and a more important territory for Sony so for you and other to selfishly suggest that European events get cancelled so you have an ego boost or bragging rights is utterly pathetic.

Dragoon

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
If I had a avatar I would have made a avatar bet that RaySpace is a AAA title. I have never been more confident on something. If i'm wrong I admit it. But the feeling of that trademark in Canada gives me positive vibes and same date as Days Gone. If Bend Studio gives a chance on AAA so will the entire WWS.
I looked on google. Who are these guys, and what have they made? Why don't you have a pic btw?

Wozman23

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Pico Rivera, CA
Re: Platformers, Puppeteer, Tearaway, etc.

For whatever reason Sony just never has success with its cartoony, family friendly franchises like Nintendo does despite putting out some really great games that I think go toe-to-toe with the heavy hitters on Nintendo. (I abandoned Nintendo for Sony generations ago for many reasons, one of which being their failure to introduce new IP, but that's an entirely different can of worms.)

To me, Puppeteer was the most Nintendo-y product to come from Sony thus far. The mechanics were unique and fun, especially Calibrus. It had an amazing art style thanks to the theater presentation and whittled wood look of the characters. It had a wide variety of beautiful environmental themes, and fantastic bosses. And it just had a general whimsy throughout. Everything about it felt fully thought out and expertly crafted. And because it was a new IP, it felt new, like something I hadn't experienced before. Yet it sold like hot garbage, and didn't really get much marketing behind it.

During the days of the PS1 and PS2, Sony had plenty of charming, critically and commercially successful franchises like Crash and Spyro, then Ratchet & Clank, Jak & Daxter, and Sly Cooper. But it does feel as if they have shifted more toward more realistic and more mature experiences. The Horizons, Uncharteds, and God of Wars get all the limelight.

It's been 15 years since the debut of Ratchet & Clank, and a lot has changed in the industry, but the recent game shows that those types of games can still be viable and successful outside of the Nintendo bubble. Media Molecule did well with LittleBigPlanet, and Tearaway performed well considering it was more of a small scale project. Even Sanzaru's Sly Cooper was said to do fairly well thanks to the $40 price point - which is why I'm baffled that we don't have a sequel yet.

I think if Sony can bridge the gap between the success of their large, blockbuster, mature AAA projects and their smaller Nintendo-y games (and add their own incubated indies back into the mix) they could really corner the market, especially right now with Microsoft's anemic first party. They'll never compete directly with Nintendo, because Nintendo has its own approach that is far different than Sony and Microsoft. But they need to make up a batch of whatever that magical Kool-Aid is that Nintendo keeps feeding their fans, so that they can provide those types of games on their platform.

How they do: that I'm not sure. I was hoping the $40 price point would help, but it's had mixed results. They certainly have a console capable of putting out those types of games. They have the market share. While the demographic may be different, there are still plenty of Sony users in their 30s who either have kids or still appreciate those style games. Look at how well the lackluster Knack did at launch. People want those games. I know I'll always support those games.

Last edited:

LiquidSolid

Oct 26, 2017
Gamescom and Paris are in Europe.

Tokyo games is in Japan.

E3 and PSX are in the US.

Seems fine to me.
Pretty much. They should seriously just go back to how it was in 2015:

E3 - Biggest show of the year
TGS - Japan market focused
PGW - Second biggest show of the year and Europe market focused
PSX - Fan service focused (maybe one or two third party announcements at max, a couple of AAA gameplay demos, niche Japanese games (Ni no Kuni 2, Yakuza, etc), indies and VR games

Thing is, given the way Sony have relegated niche Japanese games and indies to their pre-shows (if they show them at all), I'm not sure they have any interest in those kind of PSX shows any more. And that sucks, last year sterilised any personality they had out of their conferences.

Bundy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Pretty much. They should seriously just go back to how it was in 2015:

E3 - Biggest show of the year
TGS - Japan market focused
PGW - Second biggest show of the year and Europe market focused
PSX - Fan service focused (maybe one or two third party announcements at max, a couple of AAA gameplay demos, niche Japanese games (Ni no Kuni 2, Yakuza, etc), indies and VR games

Thing is, given the way Sony have relegated niche Japanese games and indies to their pre-shows (if they show them at all), I'm not sure they have any interest in those kind of PSX shows any more. And that sucks, last year sterilised any personality they had out of their conferences.
Four conferences are too much. Three is the right number. It's not like Sony isn't at Gamescom or PSX. Just don't have a conference there.

LiquidSolid

Oct 26, 2017
Four conferences are too much. Three is the right number. It's not like Sony isn't at Gamescom or PSX. Just don't have a conference there.
And you're basing that on what exactly? I think they could've easily had a PSX conference last year that stood up with PSX 2014 and 2015 but instead games like Soulcalibur VI and Dreams were shown at TGAs.

fanboy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Slovakia
And you're basing that on what exactly? I think they could've easily had a PSX conference last year that stood up with PSX 2014 and 2015 but instead games like Soulcalibur VI and Dreams were shown at TGAs.

TGA last year had its reason. I am totally fine with what they did because of what (probably) they did it. Lets see how this year plays out. XBX and Switch will be in their second year. There wont be any console launch for a while. I think we will get biggger PSX this year than the last one

Aokiji

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles
where is that sony japan AAA fantasy JRPG!
Soon(?)

You are begging Sony to produce a game like that
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2swWKaPkzFk

This is not the only studio, they have opened another studio in Tokyo last year to focus on high quality photorealistic visuals for high end console.
That seems interesting. But is that all the info on it? A CGI trailer?

now that you said it, he totally does have a Tim Schafer kind of humor lol

Oh Cory, you devil

Sony is determined not to give us a release date for GOW. They must've hated delaying games and hearing the backlash from it.
Correct. Waiting for a cemented date > giving out an empty date to appease forum dwellers

Delay doesn't stop them selling well, why change?
"Why avoid delays"

The problem is they don't have the people / a team for a JRPG. So they have to start a new collab (like they did with Level 5 for Dark Cloud) or acquire a JRPG studio.
I know how you feel. I want a new Sony first party JRPG since.... forever.
We will get one if all the cards fall in place imo. Sony has learned it's better for the studio to want to do the title. The end product is almost always better.

not a fan of Sony's new direction in terms of E3 Presentation (2016/2017) - shorter conference, one trailer after another. Only the Big Games. Feels like a youtube Highlight Reel on a big stage

I would rather have the old format with People like Yoshida on stage - a indie/smaller Games section etc. - felt more personal
Am I the only one who loves trailer blitz e3 conferences? Unless announcing something special I don't see the need for ppl on stage.

Wandu

Oct 27, 2017

I think their format of 4 major conferences per year has been working out pretty well for them. It keeps the excitement going for the brand and keeps Sony in the news about what is coming to PS4. I also think it helps spread out the games that they can show.

Like E3 for example is always their stage to show the huge Fall/Holiday marketing deals which usually has long presentations that take up a lot of time. They also tend to fill this conference with all of their platforms (except maybe Vita).

TGS - Japan focused types of games. This can include, but not limited to, marketing deals, exclusives, etc for the Japan market

Gamescom/PGW - This is the tough one as Gamescom is too close to E3, but I don't remember Sony replaying trailers/announcements at these conferences early in the gen. PGW just started in 2015, so that was the first showing of having something separate from Gamescom for the EU market. Last year's PGW was just explosive as they moved some stuff from PSX to PGW for business reasons (my opinion)

PSX - Besides PSX 2017, this has been some pretty big announcements for smaller titles and Vita (early on). This is the fan service event where we got our announcements of FF7 (Steam port), Ni No Kuni 2, Yakuza, etc. Basically any small/niche type of game that can get more exposure vs E3 where there is little to no showing of said games.

Last year as far as conferences go, most of Sony's announcement ammo was fired in 2015/2016. This makes it problematic for 2017 as they changed the format of announcing games closer to release dates vs too early with no details on upcoming games. I don't think this means they are out of ammo, but I feel that 2017 was a reload year for Sony which is why on forums Sony's E3 2017 could see rather muted vs prior years. Then you also had TGAs which had a very big outcome.

I know some people tend to not like the pre-shows going on in 2017, but it was a way to pad out the time block from Ubisoft to Sony's E3 presentation where those small titles got at least some type of exposure at E3.

TLDR; What do you feel about four conferences for Sony being too much as Sony 2017 could be seen as a reload year as far as gaming goes?

Deleted member 36493

User requested account closure
Dec 19, 2017
I feel that Ghost of Tsushima can be the Killzone --> Horizon level jump that can really cement SP as a top-tier studio. I'm already really curious about the gameplay.

Oct 25, 2017
TLDR; What do you feel about four conferences for Sony being too much as Sony 2017 could be seen as a reload year as far as gaming goes?
I don't think it is too much. Sony has the content to keep it all going. As you said, we'll just have years where it all lulls. Sony can improve how they spread out their big games, but I don't think they need to reduce show total. Especially when 2 of the shows (TGS and Gamescom/PGW) have a pretty different flavor overall.

WhovianGamer

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I feel that Ghost of Tsushima can be the Killzone --> Horizon level jump that can really cement SP as a top-tier studio. I'm already really curious about the gameplay.

I think the gameplay will be great. They've already nailed that smokey, nimble combat from Second Son and the traversal should be good. Only thing they'll need to better is the melee.

Oct 25, 2017
Agreed. GG went from completely irrelevant to one of my top Sony studios. Sucker Punch has always been one of my faves, but I also feel GoT will drawn in people who weren't really interested in them before.

I'm interested in content and traversal for GoT.

Humam

Oct 25, 2017
Agreed. GG went from completely irrelevant to one of my top Sony studios. Sucker Punch has always been one of my faves, but I also feel GoT will drawn in people who weren't really interested in them before.

I'm interested in content and traversal for GoT.
I really wonder how the traversal would be because this game will probably be very grounded, will it be just parkour based like AC. I loved the traversal in Second Son they really nailed that aspect.

Wandu

Oct 27, 2017
I don't think it is too much. Sony has the content to keep it all going. As you said, we'll just have years where it all lulls. Sony can improve how they spread out their big games, but I don't think they need to reduce show total. Especially when 2 of the shows (TGS and Gamescom/PGW) have a pretty different flavor overall.

Agrerd. E3 just kept getting better and better, then things changed announcement format-wise for 2017. I feel E3 2018 will be better than 2017.

I really wonder how the traversal would be because this game will probably be very grounded, will it be just parkour based like AC. I loved the traversal in Second Son they really nailed that aspect.

That is a good point. I like Sucker Punch's traversal mechanics. Im curious to see how they implement stealth. As far as combat goes, I am expecting a violent game.

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, traversal is their cup of tea, so I'm curious how they will tackle it. It will need to be fun, sensible, and effective. I think some parkour could definitely be mixed into the equation.

Skeeter49

I wish Jim Ryan would eat me
Oct 25, 2017
Agreed, Infamous was a great series, and this has the potential to be even better.

Helps the reception to it was great, so hopefully it gets the marketing by Sony it'll deserve.

Oct 25, 2017
No clue where Dreams fits.
In 2019. ;)

Just messing with Sanji. :P

I think it will be between October and December. I think December is likely

Agreed. E3 just kept getting better and better, then things changed announcement format-wise for 2017. I feel E3 2018 will be better than 2017.
Yep, I think they will be back on track this year for E3. I expect some big 3rd party showings.

egg

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
I may have missed it but is the Spidey game just called "Spider-Man" or is it still in the "working title" stage.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.