• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Should we move to a new OT after E3?

• Yes

Votes: 412 47.9%
  • No

Votes: 95 11.0%
  • Wait for the Playstation 5

Votes: 354 41.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 11, 2018
Sony sure as hell won't do it, because why would they want a sequel to competitor's exclusive when they have a frigging SpiderMan - game that will sell at least 5 times more as Sunset Overdrive.

I know haha, it's a pipedream. Even the other half of my post, a fully fledged sequel to a Crack in Time doesn't seem likely :(.

FelipeMGM

#Skate4
Oct 25, 2017
Yes, but at what stage? I am not 100% sure about this, but werent there some links and quotes from isomniac/sony about having almost all of their staff on spiderman?

Yep, it was said that the vast majority of Insomniac are working on Spider-Man and that this is the largest team Insomniac has ever had working on a single game.

Those quotes are from 20 months ago, a lot can change in that time span. Also, we have been seeing Insomniac NC hiring for a project that's not Spider-Man and the creative director on R&C 2016 (and longtime designer and director of the franchise) Brian Allgeier doesn't seem to be working on Spider-Man as well.

I don't think its impossible that they have been working on a new Ratchet & Clank in some capacity for the past year and a half

Deleted member 17403

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
What's next for insomniac? New IP for ps5? or more ratchet.
I'm hoping that Insomniac makes a survival/horror third person action shooter that centers around a protagonist that survives the "initial" invasion/arrival of Lovecraftian/Lovecraftian-like creatures. I'm thinking maybe a semi-open world in the vein of Stalker and horrific creatures running amok, much like Dead Space. Weapons and ammunition would be highly valuable and could be used as premium trading goods to attain other precious items but they'd be in such short order that the game would push players to create makeshift weapons and traps for their defense. The creatures in the game would have different behaviors and come is different shapes and sizes. They'd also undergo situational transformations that are increasingly lethal. In addition to this, you'd have insane Lovecraftian cults hunting "heretic survivors" for being non-believers.

This is just an idea I had but I think it'd be a cool direction for Insomniac to go in once Spiderman is complete and I think it's something that they could knock out of the park.

StuBurns

Self Requested Ban
Banned
Nov 12, 2017
They made a lovecraft game for Rift, right?

It's a strange genre to tackle, Bloodborne is amazing, but it doesn't really convey the central impossibly elevated level of the Old Ones. You can't kill an Old One with a pimp cane that becomes a whip...

I remember when Sony trademarked the name The Order 1886, I was hoping it'd be some lovecraft, freaky town in the woods somewhere type thing.

Turkoop

Oct 25, 2017
Cologne, GERMANY
Spiderman will pull an Batman Arkham Knight and release the week after E3. They will hype it up with another trailer.

I saw the booth plans for E3 2018. Bethesda and Square Enix are going big this year with larger booths. I expect Bethesda to take Shrine Auditorium this year because Todd Howard is probably going to announce something big from Bethesda Studios since Fallout 4.

Sony has so many games to show and so many games to announce, they will be back at Memorial Sports Arena since E3 2015. The DMC5 leak said Sony is scaling up for E3. And with Square Enix going in with a bang I expect a press conference from them this year.
That thing with Spiderman would be the greatest thing ever!

I think Bethesda will show us Starfield and launch it in November.

LiquidSolid

Oct 26, 2017
Yes, but at what stage? I am not 100% sure about this, but werent there some links and quotes from isomniac/sony about having almost all of their staff on spiderman?
Most of Insomniac are working on Spider-Man but that doesn't mean they don't have other projects in the works elsewhere. Insomniac are a large company with two studios, they've been a multi-game developer since they were alternating between Resistance and Ratchet & Clank back in the early days of the PS3 and they've released 9 games since Spider-Man entered development (ranging from mobile games to Ratchet & Clank), being a two team studio would be a downgrade.

Because Bayo 3 probably costs around fifteen million dollars to make, and Nintendo are paying for it. Where as DMCV probably costs around forty million, and Sony are just co-marketing it.
Sony are co-funding DMC5 according to the rumours we've heard. But yeah, if Sony were funding DMC5 entirely themselves like Nintendo is with Bayonetta 3, it'd be completely PS4 exclusive, not just console exclusive.

StuBurns

Self Requested Ban
Banned
Nov 12, 2017
Sony are co-funding DMC5 according to the rumours we've heard. But yeah, if Sony were funding DMC5 entirely themselves like Nintendo is with Bayonetta 3, it'd be completely PS4 exclusive, not just console exclusive.
It's not a timed exclusive then? Damn, Sony must have paid bank for that.

I really don't understand how Capcom were so hard up at that time. RE6 sold insane numbers, and they were popping out yearly MonHuns that were selling a few million each. They should have been swimming in cash.

Zukkoyaki

Oct 25, 2017
It's not a timed exclusive then? Damn, Sony must have paid bank for that.

I really don't understand how Capcom were so hard up at that time. RE6 sold insane numbers, and they were popping out yearly MonHuns that were selling a few million each. They should have been swimming in cash.
To my knowledge, it was a combination of the insane dev budgets for RE6 and Dragon's Dogma, expensive as hell CG for underperforming UMvC, and mainly a massive investment into mobile that failed to take off.

Not to mention the shitshow that was their Panta Rhei engine.

I feel that DMCV was always inevitable but if the rumors of Sony helping out are true then I'm grateful for that. Help make dreams a reality.

StuBurns

Self Requested Ban
Banned
Nov 12, 2017
I feel that DMCV was always inevitable but if the rumors of Sony helping out are true then I'm grateful for that. Help make dreams a reality.
Well, Capcom said the same about SF5, on Twitter I believe. That if someone wants to cough up so cash to get it rolling, it'll come sooner, but it'd happen eventually anyway.

There's no way they'd have left DMC dead, and given that team went on to Dragon's Dogma, and it did nothing, going back to DMC seems like a no brainer.

I'm surprisingly excited for DMCV. I loved the first one, but I thought the second sucked, and unlike the rest of ERA, the third, whilst fun, didn't blow my skirt up. 4 had great combat, but just the most lackluster, cheap ass campaign. It really disappointed me at the time. And DmC was an utter turd.

One out of five for me is a pretty dire performance, I should be very skeptical, but I don't know why, I'm expecting to be really wowed by it.

I think RE7 being as fantastic as it was is a big help. It was the first Capcom game since RE4 that was really great to me.

LiquidSolid

Oct 26, 2017
To my knowledge, it was a combination of the insane dev budgets for RE6 and Dragon's Dogma, expensive as hell CG for underperforming UMvC, and mainly a massive investment into mobile that failed to take off.

Not to mention the shitshow that was their Panta Rhei engine.

Yeah, they've made a lot of costly mistakes over the years. Throwing huge budgets and teams at games that underperformed (RE6, Dragon's Dogma, UMvC, etc), outsourcing franchises to western studios which almost all ended up bombing, investing heavily into mobile and failing and so on. I just blame everything on Inafune.

It seems like they're very conservative these days, reducing budget sizes (most noticeably on MvC:I but also RE7, SFV, etc), dropping pretty much all western projects, remastering everything they can get their hands on, cancelling Capcom Vancouver's new IP and getting Microsoft and Sony to help pay for games (DR3, DR4, SFV, RE7 VR and possibly DMC5). Though they, as well as Sony, did throw a lot of money behind one great idea, MHW, and it's really paid off for them.

Also, now that MvC:I has come out and has such an obviously low budget, it's easy to see what SFV might've been if Sony hadn't stepped in.

Can't see DMCV being a full PS4 exclusive. Why ?
Not full, only console exclusive, so PS4/PC. It's still only a rumour/leak so far though, so it could turn out to be wrong. We'll see in a few months.

daniel77733

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It would have been extremely stupid on Insomniac's part if Microsoft had publishing rights to an IP that Insomniac owns. Like, what would be the point in owning the IP to begin with? With Spider Man a few more months away, im fully expecting Insomniac to start work on the sequel almost immediately. And isn't Spider Man supposed to be a trilogy? Seriously doubt that it's a one and done. It would have to bomb for it to be one and done but there's not a shot in hell of that happening so we're all good. :)

Press conferences should be awesome this year. The big three, Bethesda, hopefully Square Enix, Ubisoft and EA. Really hoping for a THQ Nordic and WB conference as well. E3 will be fucking awesome if all of this happens!!! I mean, it will be awesome regardless but im way more hyped and pumped for E3 this year than I was last year.

daniel77733

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It seems like they're very conservative these days, reducing budget sizes (most noticeably on MvC:I but also RE7, SFV, etc), dropping pretty much all western projects, remastering everything they can get their hands on, cancelling Capcom Vancouver's new IP and getting Microsoft and Sony to help pay for games (DR3, DR4, SFV, RE7 VR and possibly DMC5). Though they, as well as Sony, did throw a lot of money behind one great idea, MHW, and it's really paid off for them.

Was hoping that Dead Rising 5 was going to be cancelled instead of the new IP. Oh well.

StuBurns

Self Requested Ban
Banned
Nov 12, 2017
It would have been extremely stupid on Insomniac's part if Microsoft had publishing rights to an IP that Insomniac owns. Like, what would be the point in owning the IP to begin with? With Spider Man a few more months away, im fully expecting Insomniac to start work on the sequel almost immediately. And isn't Spider Man supposed to be a trilogy? Seriously doubt that it's a one and done. It would have to bomb for it to be one and done but there's not a shot in hell of that happening so we're all good. :)
Well, think of it the other way, why would a publisher be willing to market a brand that they have no assurance they can iterate on? We have the Activision Destiny contract, they have exclusive publishing rights to Destiny for ten years, whilst Bungie retain ownership of the IP. Acti can even have other developers make Destiny games (although several are specifically cited as not allowed, Valve and Gearbox amongst them).

More traditionally, it's a first rights of refusal deal, I.E. if that publisher wants the sequel, they get it, otherwise the developer is free to shop it around.

OP
OP
JuanLatino

JuanLatino

Cerny’s little helper
Oct 25, 2017
It would have been extremely stupid on Insomniac's part if Microsoft had publishing rights to an IP that Insomniac owns. Like, what would be the point in owning the IP to begin with? With Spider Man a few more months away, im fully expecting Insomniac to start work on the sequel almost immediately. And isn't Spider Man supposed to be a trilogy? Seriously doubt that it's a one and done. It would have to bomb for it to be one and done but there's not a shot in hell of that happening so we're all good. :

they only have the publishing rights on that one title, since they funded and published it afaik. Insomniac could do a Sunset Overdrive Sequel without Microsoft and make it multiplatform, tough there is probably no publisher that is willing to fund it.

so at the end of the day it didn't really pay of to switch from Sony to another Pubsisher. They have their own ip, but can't really do anything with it.

And honestly...i think Sunset Overdrive would have done better on Ps4 and maybe had a bigger future as a Playstation Franchise.

daniel77733

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Well, think of it the other way, why would a publisher be willing to market a brand that they have no assurance they can iterate on? We have the Activision Destiny contract, they have exclusive publishing rights to Destiny for ten years, whilst Bungie retain ownership of the IP. Acti can even have other developers make Destiny games (although several are specifically cited as not allowed, Valve and Gearbox amongst them).

More traditionally, it's a first rights of refusal deal, I.E. if that publisher wants the sequel, they get it, otherwise the developer is free to shop it around.

When the ten years ends, can Activision still make a Destiny game from another developer? The first rights of refusal makes sense and kind of like an NFL player contract when there's an option year that gives the team the right to exercise it.

Overall though, it seems all counterproductive to me. You own the IP but may never have a publisher for it and would probably have to self publish OR you have an exclusive publisher without anything to publisher. Personally, if a developer like Insomniac or any independent developer for that matter wants to retain the ownership of the IP, they should automatically own publishing rights to the IP as well barring them finding a publisher that wants to publish the game.

they only have the publishing rights on that one title, since they funded and published it afaik. Insomniac could do a Sunset Overdrive Sequel without Microsoft and make it multiplatform, tough there is probably no publisher that is willing to fund it.

so at the end of the day it didn't really pay of to switch from Sony to another Pubsisher. They have their own ip, but can't really do anything with it.

And honestly...i think Sunset Overdrive would have done better on Ps4 and maybe had a bigger future as a Playstation Franchise.

I agree that Sunset Overdrive would have done better on PS4 than Xbox One but didn't Sony want to own the IP, Insomniac said no, Microsoft said yes, and well, here we are?

Henrik

Jan 3, 2018
There's no way they'd have left DMC dead, and given that team went on to Dragon's Dogma, and it did nothing, going back to DMC seems like a no brainer.

I'm surprisingly excited for DMCV. I loved the first one, but I thought the second sucked, and unlike the rest of ERA, the third, whilst fun, didn't blow my skirt up. 4 had great combat, but just the most lackluster, cheap ass campaign. It really disappointed me at the time. And DmC was an utter turd.

One out of five for me is a pretty dire performance, I should be very skeptical, but I don't know why, I'm expecting to be really wowed by it.

I think RE7 being as fantastic as it was is a big help. It was the first Capcom game since RE4 that was really great to me.
Let's look at it like this. MH failed to catch on in the West on PSP and Wii. When I look at the team who worked on Dragon's Dogma many came from MH team (designers/planners that worked on both console and portable when there was only one MH team at the time because they reused maps from previous entries in the main series) and when a interviewer asked producer Kobayashi he hoped MH fans would pick it up as well as new players.

Now that MHW has caught on worldwide Capcom doesn't need Dragon's Dogma anymore. They have turned it into a MMO service with old MH devs working on Dragon's Dogma Online with new versions.

While at the time in 2013 when they had many failures and outsourced titles to Western developers, failed attempt on mobile games (which bite them in the long run) there weren't resources for SFV, DMC5 and BASARA 5. They had to go back and earn profits again of being conservative.

BASARA 5 is not confirmed but it's a no brainer to think Kobayashi-P mentioned that in the planning for Famitsu. The other title was going to be announced this year and then released to the world which is obvious DMC5. These two titles will depend on his career after failures with Dragon's Dogma and BASARA Yukimura Den, he said.

Capcom has made a lot of money on MH merchandise since 2015 and released successful titles like RE7 and MHW. Now they want to continue to make interesting games you don't see from other publishers' line-up. Which means they want to be different and has stopped chasing Western ideals.

Oct 31, 2017
I know this is off-topic, but since we're on the subject: my bro is in love with Monster Hunter World, and I loved RE7 and Street Fighter V (and am considering just getting the Arcade Edition to get everything else and getting rid of my base version). Due to Capcom's performance this gen, I'm actually excited now about the prospect of DMCV. Before, I was lukewarm, but Capcom has really done wonders this generation.

Also, like Sony's games (to make this a bit more on-topic), there are single-player/couch sensibilities to the games. RE7 is single-player, Street Fighter V actually has its own story mode and couch co-op, and Monster Hunter World is a big multiplayer game that can easily be played single-player (reminds me of Bloodborne in that aspect).

OG_Thrills

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I know this is off-topic, but since we're on the subject: my bro is in love with Monster Hunter World, and I loved RE7 and Street Fighter V (and am considering just getting the Arcade Edition to get everything else and getting rid of my base version). Due to Capcom's performance this gen, I'm actually excited now about the prospect of DMCV. Before, I was lukewarm, but Capcom has really done wonders this generation.

It's not just Capcom, there's been a resurgence in JRPGs and fighters this gen. Japan's gaming industry is really making their presence known.

Peek-a-boo!

Oct 30, 2017
Woodbridge
And honestly... I think Sunset Overdrive would have done better on PS4, and maybe had a bigger future as a PlayStation franchise.

I absolutely agree with this, even as an Xbox fan!

It's the same if the Ratchet & Clank series was on the Xbox; it would just not be received the same way as it (often) does by the PlayStation audience.

As much as I would like to see a sequel to Sunset Overdrive, or even get a few folks together at Insomniac during their lunch break to make the first game an Xbox One X enhanced title, I really do think its time in the sun has long gone, which is a great shame...

KORNdog

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I agree that Sunset Overdrive would have done better on PS4 than Xbox One but didn't Sony want to own the IP, Insomniac said no, Microsoft said yes, and well, here we are?

it's worked out really well for insomniac. lol. i mean, i get the desire to own your IP's, but the things with IP's is that until they're established and popular. that IP is worthless. and if it started out exclusive to a platform to begin with, it's unlikely you're going to be able to take it elsewhere either, because as people have said, who wants a sequel to a rival platforms exclusive? insomniac should have looked at past experiences with sony, how many sequel were funded for ratchet and resistance and trusted that them having ownership of the IP would have ultimately lead to great things. because i have no doubt in my mind that sunset overdrive would be an established and popular franchise now if they'd have made it for PS4.

Oct 31, 2017
"Announce a console without actually showing a console? That's one approach"

Haha

It was love at first sight (without actually seeing it).
Infamous, sharing, knack, FFXV/kh3 "tease", Deep down.
Thought it was a cool conference overall.

While I totally love seeing a console actually physically reveal, I thought the PS4 announcement was fantastic even though it felt low-key in some ways since it got wonky at the beginning. The reasons I had at the time and still have to this day:

1) There was a lot of worry about the direction of the industry, from motion controls to moving away from gaming and into entertainment as a whole (which is why the "we support used games" announcement at E3 was so important since there were rumblings about if Sony would focus more on entertainment in general than games). Cerny's tech-heavy talk about what's in the system, what it meant for developers, the developers they talked to, ease of development, etc., were all great to hear.
2) The Share function was something I wanted for a while. The ability to capture funny moments, especially online, the ability to share screenshots or stream easily, that all became a reality, and it was made simply with one Share button. I loved the focus on it, and again, it reinforced the "games first" mentality. I'm totally for consoles doing a lot: I watch movies, TV, music, etc., on my PS4. But I buy a PS4 instead of something else so I can also play great games, so the focus was great.
3) Looking back, Killzone/Knack/DriveClub/Infamous... or really, any of the games with a few exceptions compared to what would come later. But it was great to see all of this, great to see a new Infamous, and as someone who doesn't play many racing games, I loved the excitement Evolution displayed announcing DriveClub. Also, The Witness looked wonderful and ended up delivering, though years and years later.

I know I still had a few concerns since PS3's announcement in 2005 and the Killzone 2 video (that, although assumed before, was not only not gameplay and wasn't supposed to be gameplay, but GG hadn't worked on anything past a few pixels) was exciting and then "$599 US Dollars" the next year put a damper on it. But PS4 seemed like it had the right ideas with a develop-centered architecture and a big focus on games and sharing gameplay. I still say the Share feature is one of the absolute coolest things this generation and has allowed me to share and even sometimes get a ton of views, something I never did until the PS4.

StuBurns

Self Requested Ban
Banned
Nov 12, 2017
I seriously still, after all these years, don't understand the 599 thing. Yes, the premium PS3 was, but there was a 499 model, It was 20GB and had no Wi-Fi, putting it exactly in-line spec wise with the premium 360, which was 399. So it was a bluray drive for a hundred dollars basically.

Shin-Ra

Nov 1, 2017
Imagine how it feels to get only two seconds of gameplay teaser, so you slow it down to catch more detail.

vkNxT3Y.gif

StuBurns

Self Requested Ban
Banned
Nov 12, 2017
Second Son was the first open world game that actually had satisfying melee combat. I have high hopes for the sword play in GoT. That title is all kinds of terrible though.

Henrik

Jan 3, 2018
Second Son was the first open world game that actually had satisfying melee combat. I have high hopes for the sword play in GoT. That title is all kinds of terrible though.
RaySpace sounds even more terrible. But who knows, maybe the title makes sense when we see a trailer for it.

RaySpace sounds like LocoRoco trying to be more mature in a weird way.

StuBurns

Self Requested Ban
Banned
Nov 12, 2017
RaySpace sounds even more terrible. But who knows, maybe the title makes sense when we see a trailer for it.

RaySpace sounds like LocoRoco trying to be more mature in a weird way.
If it's a game, yeah, that's a terrible name. If it's some VR live music 3D audio thing or something, it's okay.

Hexa

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
I think a lot of games titles sound awful until they have good games. Sony trademarked Bloodborne and Kill Strain before they were unveiled and IIRC people in general thought they were unimaginative and not very good names. Bloodborne was great, so I don't think most think that anymore. No one talks about Kill Strain anymore, but if they did talk about the title I'd assume it would still be seen negatively.

Status
Not open for further replies.