• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Should we move to a new OT after E3?

• Yes

Votes: 412 47.9%
  • No

Votes: 95 11.0%
  • Wait for the Playstation 5

Votes: 354 41.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

deadmonkeyuk

Oct 27, 2017
Highlands, Scotland
I believe around 10 Million copies.

And since we are on the subject, for the other exclusives:
God of War - 5 millions.
Detroit - 2 millions.
Spider-Man - from 7 to 9 millions.
Days Gone - 5 to 7 millions.
Ghost of Tsushima - 2 to 3 millions.

Detroit will easily sell more than 2m, Heavy Rain sold over 5m.
Think your guesses for Ghost and GoW are well under.

Sameer Sedlar

Feb 8, 2018
Egypt
Yeah on the long run maybe, but I am thinking the first year will be 5 mil.
Detroit will easily sell more than 2m, Heavy Rain sold over 5m.
Think your guesses for Ghost and GoW are well under.
I based my assumption on the fact that Beyond: Two Souls did not sell that well, so it may take time for Detroit to kick in.
As for Ghost, I am crazy excited about it, but a Stealth\Action game in Feudal Japan, while it may tick all the right boxes, I am not sure it will be for everyone.

AAMARMO

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sony Era Discord Invite:
Hidden content
You need to reply to this thread in order to see this content.

SnowFlakeCake

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't think Sony have given an update on TLOU sales for some time, the last was for UC4 when it sold 8 million or whatever it was. Would have to think, with no evidence at all that TLOU has passed 10 million sales including PS3/PS4. It has been on sale many times as well, I grabbed it on PSN for very cheap some time ago. Also the only game I've played twice, it is that good!

Speaking on PS5, I could not care less about how powerful they make it. Something has got to be done about the first/second parties though, this generation has been awful in terms of their published games. I hardly use the PS4 to play games, that has been the case for the 4 years since it released. Things have just changed a lot this generation with so many online games and developers focusing on few games these days. I really don't give two fucks about 3rd party games, particularly the western studios so yeah, would be great if Sony are able to improve output.

There will definitely be PS4 ports coming to PS5 though, absolutely no way that will not be the case. GT Sport did shit sales wise except for when price was cut, don't think PD will get that leeway they did even during PS4 launch. First year for PS5 will be GT7, TLOU2, Spider-man, Death Stranding, GoT, Dreams etc which would be a great start for the system. Those titles are too big to not put on PS5 as console sale drivers.

Oct 31, 2017
TLOU2 will be the biggest Sony game ever

~15 million.

Quote me on this.

I will and, if this doesn't happen, just for you:

3lLOT10h.jpg

Speaking on PS5, I could not care less about how powerful they make it. Something has got to be done about the first/second parties though, this generation has been awful in terms of their published games.

I've had the opposite experience; this has been some of the most fun I've had with Sony's published games.

chase beck

Banned
Jan 3, 2018
It's deleted, but...

2014: https://www.reddit.com/r/PS4/comments/27bmkf/sonys_e3_showings/
- TLG
- TLOU2
- Unnamed Space Project
- Dead Don't Ride ( this was the first mention of DDR in a public space, a year earlier than shinobi's tease )
- Crash Bandicoot

2017: https://www.reddit.com/r/PS4/commen...of_new_trademarks_ahead_of/dit4dns/?context=2

- Sly Cooper
- LocoRoco
- SOTC Remake
- Jak & Daxter

Of what has been teased, so far Sly and Unnamed Space Project still have yet to materialise.

2014 would also be when Sony Santa Monica were toying with their new Space IP, so its entirely possible that's what the Project was.

SolidSnakex

Oct 25, 2017
The original TLoU sold 8m in just over a year. So I think 10m may be lowballing it. I expect the level of hype that we see with PII will be unlike anything we've seen from Sony before. It's a game with an insane amount of crossover appeal to those that aren't even particularly into gaming. And it's a series that plays very well with female gamers, which is something I expect Sony to drive home since Ellie is the lead this time.

I believe around 10 Million copies.

And since we are on the subject, for the other exclusives:
God of War - 5 millions.
Detroit - 2 millions.
Spider-Man - from 7 to 9 millions.
Days Gone - 5 to 7 millions.
Ghost of Tsushima - 2 to 3 millions.

You're lowballing God of War, my friend. Also GoW will outsell Spider-Man by the time the dust settles.

Mugen X

Oct 27, 2017
Colorado
The original TLoU sold 8m in just over a year. So I think 10m may be lowballing it. I expect the level of hype that we see with PII will be unlike anything we've seen from Sony before. It's a game with an insane amount of crossover appeal to those that aren't even particularly into gaming. And it's a series that plays very well with female gamers, which is something I expect Sony to drive home since Ellie is the lead this time.
I agree completely, I know a lot of ppl that either game casually or hardly ever but they for some reason played TLOU lol. It's gonna generate a lot of buzz once info starts coming out and I expect it to sell between 10-15 mil. It's likely get a console bundle too

daniel77733

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Something has got to be done about the first/second parties though, this generation has been awful in terms of their published games. I hardly use the PS4 to play games, that has been the case for the 4 years since it released. Things have just changed a lot this generation with so many online games and developers focusing on few games these days. I really don't give two fucks about 3rd party games, particularly the western studios so yeah, would be great if Sony are able to improve output.

Wow. I only played and completed six Sony published games last generation. I have already doubled that this generation. It will most likely be triple by the time this generation ends. Because of that, all the console exclusives and multi-platform games, PlayStation 4 will most likely end up being my second best console of all time.

SilverX

Jan 21, 2018
Just wanted to say that the reveal trailer for God Of War is sitting at 19M views. Game's gonna be huge.

Yeah it can very well be a bigger seller than Uncharted 4. When Uncharted 4 was announced I always thought "That's going to be bigger than Gran Turismo and become the biggest Playstation exclusive." I was right about that, and I am sure I'll be right about God of War topping Uncharted 4

GamerDude

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Something has got to be done about the first/second parties though, this generation has been awful in terms of their published games. I hardly use the PS4 to play games, that has been the case for the 4 years since it released. Things have just changed a lot this generation with so many online games and developers focusing on few games these days. I really don't give two fucks about 3rd party games, particularly the western studios so yeah, would be great if Sony are able to improve output.

Wow. I could not disagree more. Sony's exclusives this gen are so much BETTER than last gen, and we're about to get a whole string of bangers in 2018/2019.

Henrik

Jan 3, 2018
It's deleted, but...

2014: https://www.reddit.com/r/PS4/comments/27bmkf/sonys_e3_showings/
- TLG
- TLOU2
- Unnamed Space Project
- Dead Don't Ride ( this was the first mention of DDR in a public space, a year earlier than shinobi's tease )
- Crash Bandicoot

2017: https://www.reddit.com/r/PS4/commen...of_new_trademarks_ahead_of/dit4dns/?context=2

- Sly Cooper
- LocoRoco
- SOTC Remake
- Jak & Daxter

Of what has been teased, so far Sly and Unnamed Space Project still have yet to materialise.
Unnamed Space Project goes in line with what SIEJ trademarked on 12/28 2017.

If this was late 2014 and early 2015 then it's interesting. Feb 2014 did Santa Monica Studio cancelled Darkside.

Yoshida teased Greg Miller and Colin Moriarty at E3 2015 that Japan Studio is now working on a really great project that he is really excited about. It was around 27:50 in the playtime when he mentioned Allan Becker was needed at Japan Studio to turn around the internal mess and the studio is now working on a exciting project. New Gravity Daze project was also another project he was waiting for the unveil when Colin asked about it.

I read that interview with Yamai from Atlus. They have reached a milestone now for SMTV and can start to hire related staff. Hideo Kojima said last year that somebody can take 7-10 years on a new IP. If your concept is not polished there is nothing to expand on and you have to keep working in the concept and planning stage.

According to Scott Rohde at PSX 2015 Bend Studio had reached a milestone with Days Gone. That means if Days Gone comes out in Aug 2018 it has only been in production for 2+ years.

TiG

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Unnamed Space Project goes in line with what SIEJ trademarked on 12/28 2017.

If this was late 2014 and early 2015 then it's interesting. Feb 2014 did Santa Monica Studio cancelled Darkside.

Yoshida teased Greg Miller and Colin Moriarty at E3 2015 that Japan Studio is now working on a really great project that he is really excited about. It was around 27:50 in the playtime when he mentioned Allan Becker was needed at Japan Studio to turn around the internal mess and the studio is now working on a exciting project. New Gravity Daze project was also another project he was waiting for the unveil when Colin asked about it.

I read that interview with Yamai from Atlus. They have reached a milestone now for SMTV and can start to hire related staff. Hideo Kojima said last year that somebody can take 7-10 years on a new IP. If your concept is not polished there is nothing to expand on and you have to keep working in the concept and planning stage.

According to Scott Rohde at PSX 2015 Bend Studio had reached a milestone with Days Gone. That means if Days Gone comes out in Aug 2018 it has only been in production for 2+ years.

Yea I agree with you, this unnamed Space game is definitely not Darkside. Japan Studio or maybe another Santa Monica IP is my guess (but a stretch, as Cory is probably just starting to work on a new IP).

Oct 25, 2017
I am wondering if Disney/Marvel Studios is going to step up with marketing for the game. Having Tom Holland play Spider-Man PS4 in Infinity War in detail/with commentary would be huge.
Gonna be one of the biggest marketing campaigns this gen. UC4 is still the biggest (first party wise) for now. I remember those Amazon packages with UC4 material on them.

bulletyen

Nov 12, 2017
It's not about debating what he meant; it's what he meant because it's literally what he said.

We already know dev times are longer due to how much the beta/play-testing takes due to the sheer amount of elements of big games nowadays. That's separate from time-to-triangle, which is the length of time to get something playable up and running. There's a difference between that and the length of time it takes to develop past the alpha stages.

If the PS4 were using the cell, development times we're seeing now would seem like paradise in comparison, which is saying a lot.

https://kotaku.com/the-ps4s-developer-friendliness-explained-more-games-1293522585

You know Cerny also said the ease of develop reduced Knack's development time by a year. He also said thanks to ease of development the PS4 had the strongest PlayStation line up ever. At the start of the gen we were under the impression games were going to come out faster, thanks to what he said. It is no stretch to interpret what he said that way.

I couldn't care less how long the time to triangle is, that's internal milestone jargon that means nothing for the average user. All I care about is total length of dev time, including time to get game up and running alongside ambition and budget. And I'm concerned that will go up next gen. I don't care short the time to triangle is within 5 year dev cycles, it's still 5 years for a game to get to my hand. That's all I'm saying.

So, that unnamed space project is probably RaySpace, a PS5 Studio Japan game? Hopefully it's a JRPG. Studio Japan needs a big game beyond Ueda.

RossoneR

Oct 28, 2017
Wow. I could not disagree more. Sony's exclusives this gen are so much BETTER than last gen, and we're about to get a whole string of bangers in 2018/2019.

No they re not. Console, controler, OS aside, ps3 destroys ps4 in terms of first party. Imo and acording to metacritic.
Only thing i can accept as excuse for ps4 re bigger budgets and more complex projects.

2Blackcats

Oct 26, 2017
No they re not. Console, controler, OS aside, ps3 destroys ps4 in terms of first party. Imo and acording to metacritic.
Only thing i can accept as excuse for ps4 re bigger budgets and more complex projects.

Well, I disagree too. Also, I couldn't give a crap what metacritic.com says.

Can someone explain all the love for SOCOM?

I wasn't into military/realistic style shooters until relatively recently. So missed out on it last gen.

Is it comparable to any modern games?

fanboy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Slovakia

Talking about exclusive games, there is not so many titles I am adding to my backlog for PS3 since I bought it for the first time as there are for PS4.

Not even close. PS4 lineup is way better. I dont even want to play as much multiplatforms on PS3 as on PS4.

Modest_Modsoul

Living the Dreams
Oct 29, 2017
I really want a full blown story trailer for Days Gone I'm sold on the gameplay I just need more story.

I actually want to see the updated/final game-play of Days Gone.

The latest videos, concerning about the "Brutal Combat" system, still looks a liiiiiitle bit goofy for me to look at, lol.

Yeah, Bend is not Naughty Dog, I understand that, and it's functional at least.

I just want to see if they update it or not.

RossoneR

Oct 28, 2017
Talking about exclusive games, there is not so many titles I am adding to my backlog for PS3 since I bought it for the first time as there are for PS4.

Not even close. PS4 lineup is way better. I dont even want to play as much multiplatforms on PS3 as on PS4.

How s ps4 lineup way better? I want to know. Show me those first party titles.
And third party stuff is irrelevant to initial post.

Henrik

Jan 3, 2018
https://kotaku.com/the-ps4s-developer-friendliness-explained-more-games-1293522585

So, that unnamed space project is probably RaySpace, a PS5 Studio Japan game? Hopefully it's a JRPG. Studio Japan needs a big game beyond Ueda.
If I will recall what Yoshida said to IGN last year about Japan Studio, they are very carefully planning bigger console games. As they see userbase growing they know they have to invest in larger experiences going forward. It meets expectations of the PS4 players and owners of PSVR systems. So that's what they are planning to do, he said. And Allan Becker spilled the beans: "we have new titles in the works that are being made with new technology in mind."

Expect bigger console games in the early console cycle is very risky according to Yoshida. PS2 did that and the reason why Sony moved away from JRPGs in the first place. Nothing met Sony's sales expectations. It was a disaster without quality control. They pumped out too many JRPGs in collaboration with other studios.

Okage, Dual Hearts (killed Matrix Software), Legend of Legaia 2 (not made by original developer), new PopoLoCrois trilogy (stayed in Japan), new Arc the Lad trilogy (problems with the creator being busy with Front Mission for Square Enix, so Cattle Call killed the IP), three more Wild Arms entries and a remake, Level-5 being the option to make bigger JRPGs instead of building a new team.

The higher management at SCEI didn't know what they were doing. They lost control and SCEE couldn't keep up with what SCEA localized from SCEI as far as JRPGs are concerned. It was a mess.

FelipeMGM

#Skate4
Oct 25, 2017
I don't know. Most of his games are primarily MP combat focused, and he was working on a shooter for PSP. I'd love to see him tackle it.

Yeah, but SOCOM is a tactical realistic military shooter. All of Jaffe's games are cartoony and are fast paced action gameplay wise. I just personally dont see the match here

Oct 31, 2017

You know Cerny also said the ease of develop reduced Knack's development time by a year. He also said thanks to ease of development the PS4 had the strongest PlayStation line up ever. At the start of the gen we were under the impression games were going to come out faster, thanks to what he said. It is no stretch to interpret what he said that way.

I couldn't care less how long the time to triangle is, that's internal milestone jargon that means nothing for the average user. All I care about is total length of dev time, including time to get game up and running alongside ambition and budget. And I'm concerned that will go up next gen. I don't care short the time to triangle is within 5 year dev cycles, it's still 5 years for a game to get to my hand. That's all I'm saying.

Length of dev time =/= time-to-triangle, AKA getting playable code up and running. It literally means to get usable graphics on the hardware.

You say you don't care about milestone jargon, but then why are we talking about this? He talked about this during a jargon-laden talk:

In terms of Knack, of course it shaved a year off. If it takes 1 - 2 months to get something playable instead of 6 - 12, it's going to take a year off by default. They used a custom physics simulation on Knack's body, which made it easier to create. You'd be waiting even longer with PS3's complicated architecture. Either that, or the games would run worse as most games I play that target 30fps are a smooth, steady 30, whereas many games I played last-gen were all over the place in comparison due to the complicated development for the PS3.

We also have to look at all games. Middle-earth's sequel took three years. Watch Dogs 2 took a bit over two. Titanfall 2 took a bit over two. Assassin's Creed Origins took three years to develop. Sony just seems to like to give developers as much time as they need.

Last edited:

John Bender

Oct 27, 2017

The latest videos, concerning about the "Brutal Combat" system, still looks a liiiiiitle bit goofy for me to look at, lol.

Well Naughty Dog is a 300+ team. Bend was below 100 for a long time during development. So look at the gameplay trailer again. It looks really good for that.
They're well over 100 now and the game should look even better by now. They're using the newest Unreal tech.

Oct 25, 2017

I just want to see if they update it or not.

Bend also haven't made a console game in over 11 years and days gone is open world and dynamic and not scripted and linear(not that that's a bad thing just saying)

Deleted member 11262

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Bend also haven't made a console game in over 11 years and days gone is open world and dynamic and not scripted and linear(not that that's a bad thing just saying)
And they don't have the resources ND has. ND clearly earned its place and reputation, but comparing everyone to them is unhealthy for your personal gaming experience.
You won't see that level of polish in every game...Deal with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.