• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Should we move to a new OT after E3?

• Yes

Votes: 412 47.9%
  • No

Votes: 95 11.0%
  • Wait for the Playstation 5

Votes: 354 41.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

dbcyber

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Again, I understand Sony is top tier when it comes to cinematic single player experience, but it would be great if a couple of their studios actually increased their scope or created something with a co-op perspective in mind

Agree with this. Just speaking for myself here but there are enough similarities where I will just end up waiting for The Last of Us Part 2 to get my post apocalyptic fix with similar kind of setting and 3rd person gameplay(not counting quality of gameplay) . About the only thing that would convince me to get Days Gone is the ability to ride around with a friend.

Deleted member 40133

User requested account closure
Banned
Feb 19, 2018
Agree with this. Just speaking for myself here but there are enough similarities where I will just end up waiting for The Last of Us Part 2 to get my post apocalyptic fix with similar kind of setting and 3rd person gameplay(not counting quality of gameplay) . About the only thing that would convince me to get Days Gone is the ability to ride around with a friend.

Not to be a jerk, but remember those people on early ps3 gen that uncharted was Sony's response to gears because it was a tps? That's actually a more accurate sentiment than days gone and last of us being similiar

Deleted member 40133

User requested account closure
Banned
Feb 19, 2018
Wait...does that mean Sony could use Spidey in Venom, but they choose not to?

I doubt that. That would be too dumb even for Sony Pictures. There's more to it, which is why I'd call it unprecedented.

Dude....Sony owns the spiderman movie IP exclusively still. Do as much googling as you want, it will always come back that answer

kowalski

Oct 27, 2017

https://hdtvpolska.com/hdtvpolska-god-of-war-event/

Translate:

On Friday, March 9 in Warsaw, in the Jomsborg Hold, a pre-premiere display of God of War, organized by the Polish PlayStation division, was held. The editors of HDTV Poland in the form of Piotr Gmerek and Jakub Krawczyński had the opportunity to play the first few hours of the game, as well as to interview the main game designer, Derek Daniels. Are there any fans of Kratos here? You will be able to expect an interview in the form of a video and a description of the impressions on March 19, when the embargo on sharing materials about the game passes by 4:00 PM. Therefore, here you will get a taste of what will appear later. Anyway, the time spent in the Viking village would be considered very nice. We can guarantee that God of War is not only a technological show of the PS4 / PS4 Pro, but also a really solid mechanical game in which there is no shortage of pure gameplay. During our interview, we asked for both inspiration and technical aspects, as well as some elements of gameplay. The premiere of God of War will take place on April 20, and the game will support 4K resolution (via checkerboarding) as well as HDR and a wide range of colors. We are looking forward to both the premiere and the moment when we present to you more broadly our impressions and the interview. Are there any fans of Kratos here? Are you waiting for a new installment of the series? What do you think about the God of War mix and Norse mythology?

Oct 31, 2017
Sony has been really good with spreading exclusives this year. Thought I'll throw my 2 cents on what would be the perfect release for games yet to have a date.

Spiderman - Aug 2018.
Days Gone - February 2019
Dreams - April 2019
The Last of Us - June 2019.
Death Stranding - August 2019.

Come E3 I'm sure we'll get a couple more surprises to add to the calendar. Just got such a good feeling about this E3 that I booked the whole week off work.

Dreams is one I'm thinking is 2018. Unlike Days Gone, they officially announced it for 2018, blog post and all, after its re-reveal.

El sueño

Feb 4, 2018
I have an standard PS4 and a 1080p tv, in order to play GOW properly I am really considering to buy a 4k tv and the PRO version. GOW is going to blow heads off.

Angie

Best Avatar Thread Ever!
Nov 20, 2017
Kingdom of Corona
Let's imagine that Spider-Man on the PS4 is a huge success.
Is there any chance that Disney might reach to Sony to make an awesome single player Star Wars game? Is clear EA wont deliver one.
Or is it too unrealistic to imagine that?

Oct 27, 2017
Until confirmed otherwise my feeling is Days Gone has been delayed for business and/or logistical reasons rather than development reasons.

I'm also a bit surprised that some are now pegging DS and TLoU2 for 2020. Are everyone dismissing the many comments from Kojima directly relating to how fast the game is coming together and even stating what it will come out before? Why?

As for TLoU2 I can't see it being beyond June 2019 just because how relatively quickly ND work and of course the previous game releasing in June.(creatures of habit!).

ETA: Change word when to what!

I completely agree with this.

Dude....Sony owns the spiderman movie IP exclusively still. Do as much googling as you want, it will always come back that answer

That they do, and they loaned Disney Spiderman to use in Civil War, so now they have their exclusive game. Pat your back, you pat ours scenario.

Oct 25, 2017
Let's imagine that Spider-Man on the PS4 is a huge success.
Is there any chance that Disney might reach to Sony to make an awesome single player Star Wars game? Is clear EA wont deliver one.
Or is it too unrealistic to imagine that?
I don't think they can. EA has an exclusive contract for console SW games.
That contract will expire in a few years.

I do think it is unrealistic at this point. Sony does not have a first party studio to spare, and their usual go-to third party studios are not equipped to handle it (if Spider-man is a success insomniac will be busy with that).

It would basically require one of the big first party studios to be in the process of figuring out what they want to do next and having trouble doing so, and they would have to be open to doing a star wars game as well. You won't just see Sony abandon a new IP (or a sequel to a successful IP) being made just because Star Wars is on the table, unless it's in really troubled development.

So yeah, it is a bit unrealistic imo.

I think we'll be seeing star wars branch out to a bunch of third parties once the EA exclusivity contract is up.

Angie

Best Avatar Thread Ever!
Nov 20, 2017
Kingdom of Corona
That contract will expire in a few years.

I do think it is unrealistic at this point. Sony does not have a first party studio to spare, and their usual go-to third party studios are not equipped to handle it (if Spider-man is a success insomniac will be busy with that).

It would basically require one of the big first party studios to be in the process of figuring out what they want to do next and having trouble doing so, and they would have to be open to doing a star wars game as well. You won't just see Sony abandon a new IP (or a sequel to a successful IP) being made just because Star Wars is on the table, unless it's in really troubled development.

So yeah, it is a bit unrealistic imo.

I think we'll be seeing star wars branch out to a bunch of third parties once the EA exclusivity contract is up.
It's Star Wars. If Disney put it on the table for Sony, there is no way they would say no.
The Star Wars name alone is enough to sell millions.

Oct 25, 2017
I'm a Dreams optimist but even I know if it's not out by early and I mean like first 5- days of September you pull a days gone on that bad boy

Oct 25, 2017
It's Star Wars. If Disney put it on the table for Sony, there is no way they would say no.
They would say no if all their good studios are deep in development of an existing game. You need to put a shit ton of money behind these games, and it isn't as simple as "well just cancel that other game you've spent 50 million dollars on already and spend 100 million making this brand new game now). There are other factors. IP ownership is a huge one. Star Wars may be a terrific one and done, gangbusters seller, but if Sony can't make it again due to not owning the IP, potentially scrapping a game that could be the next uncharted, last of us, gow, horizon etc is worse than saying no to a star wars game.

Spider-Man happened because Insomniac is a well-equipped studio that has a good relationship with Sony that is not obligated to work on Sony titles. So not only is Spider-Man a big get, having insomniac be working on a big scale exclusive game like that is good for Sony as well.

There isn't any other external dev that Sony has a good relationship that is well equipped for a star wars game, so it'd have to be one of sony's big internal studios to handle it, and for that to happen, some scenario that I mentioned in my previous post would need to apply imo, rather than it being a case of "screw your game that's shaping up well which you've spent years developing x studio, you're making star wars now".

This is all assuming that Disney is actually smarter this time after this whole EA Star Wars thing, and isn't giving out full on exclusive Star Wars license to a single publisher for a set amount of years. But moreso licensing on a game by game basis.

If for instance, Sony is given an offer to have the license that will last nearly an entire generation, that's a super different story.

Oct 25, 2017
They seem to be doing the same marketing approach they did with Horizon. Correct me if I am wrong, but it seems to almost be the same. We saw the same reveal video or two for a long time before the blowout with Horizon.
We saw a lot of gameplay for horizon. The introduction was a long demo(introducing basic concepts) and than that's when they become different marketing wise. Horizon got a story trailer before e3 with release date,another demo at e3(again long demo, showed the map, a mount, the world, crafting material and crafting in a menu itself,dialogue trees etc,more footage at pro event, I even remember tgs new footage.

Oct 27, 2017
We saw a lot of gameplay for horizon. The introduction was a long demo and than that's when they become different marketing wise. Horizon got a story trailer before e3 with release date,another demo at e3,more footage at pro event, I even remember tgs new footage.

I could have sworn we saw that same Thunderjaw video for months and months before getting more snippets of anything else closer to launch, and a newer one was the same exact scene but a different approach to it (not much different though).

Oct 27, 2017
We only saw the thunderjaw twice, once at e3 than they did a more in-depth thing at pgw

Right, but we had nothing until closer, right?

GoW had its reveal which was akin to Thunderjaw with the giant Troll. Then they had another gameplay one showing the environment can be used to help you, and they also had a Story Trailer.

I am sure the week coming up there will be more of a blowout. They are marketing MLB The Show heavy right now, and that will be shipping very soon, so then all the focus will be GoW next week and beyond I assume.

madgorillaz

Oct 28, 2017
Pls no. The world doesn't need another combo hack n' slash. I really hope we would get a more realistic approach to things, or even a cool looking Batman: Arkham copy.

SP's games have always had a really fast-paced, arcadey feel to them so it's going to be so interesting to see how they handle movement and combat in GoT.

Oct 25, 2017
Right, but we had nothing until closer, right?

GoW had its reveal which was akin to Thunderjaw with the giant Troll. Then they had another gameplay one showing the environment can be used to help you, and they also had a Story Trailer.

I am sure the week coming up there will be more of a blowout. They are marketing MLB The Show heavy right now, and that will be shipping very soon, so then all the focus will be GoW next week and beyond I assume.
The difference here is gow is out next month. In horizons case you had 4 different gameplay videos to take a look at to get a sense of how it played months and I mean months before it was out

SolidSnakex

Oct 25, 2017

Would Disney be willing to give Sony the same exclusivity as they've given EA? If EA's contract expires in 2023, that means they would've signed a 10 year deal. I think that's the only way Sony would agree to something like that. Otherwise what point is there in them building up the SW brand if other companies can simultaneously make SW games?

ThaNotoriousSOD

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You know what's interesting, is SOF Studios, who is making an indie game that's supposed to cater to the SOCOM community is able to get away with falsely claiming their game is in fact a SOCOM game.

Look at this tweet for example: https://twitter.com/sofstudios/status/972537680079867909

That's from the studios official twitter account. Can studios get away with something like this?? It just seems crazy to me, because this game looks so awful in quality and I would not want it being passed off as my IP if I'm Sony.

Angie

Best Avatar Thread Ever!
Nov 20, 2017
Kingdom of Corona
Would Disney be willing to give Sony the same exclusivity as they've given EA? If EA's contract expires in 2023, that means they would've signed a 10 year deal. I think that's the only way Sony would agree to something like that. Otherwise what point is there in them building up the SW brand if other companies can simultaneously make SW games?
The same reason why Sony is making a Spider-Man game. Eventually that IP will go multiplatform. Because of money. The name alone garantees being a multi million seller. And no Publisher would say no to it.
And imagine how it would be for a Star Wars being announced at E3 that would be exclusive for an PS console.

LiquidSolid

Oct 26, 2017
When activision was making Spider-Man didn't they need permission from Sony? Cause I thought Sony own the game licence as they own the movie licence
Kinda. Sony Pictures used to own all the merchandising rights to their movies, so Activision licensed Spider-Man 2 and Spider-Man 3 from them. But a few years ago (I'm not sure exactly when but it was a couple years before the MCU deal), Sony sold all the movie merchandising rights (including game adaptations) back to Disney. So Sony only have the movie rights now and Disney has complete control over game licensing.

I'm not sure what he meant by indie, which is why I have it in quotation marks.

I do have my reasons to fully believe him, although I'm not posting it as a "hot scoop" I just wanted to figure out what studio it could be. After all I'm certain every publisher had at least some talks about doing a battle royale game :p
Alright. I'm not really sure what would be an obvious answer though, so you should maybe just take some of the studios named here and throw them at your friend or something.

SnowFlakeCake

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The same reason why Sony is making a Spider-Man game. Eventually that IP will go multiplatform. Because of money. The name alone garantees being a multi million seller. And no Publisher would say no to it.
And imagine how it would be for a Star Wars being announced at E3 that would be exclusive for an PS console.

It keeps being said that Spider-Man will eventually go multiplatform but I honestly wonder how anyone can believe Marvel went to Sony first? EA took up Star Wars and I find it hard to believe Marvel did not go to all the 3rd parties for Spider-Man. I definitely think Sony was the choice AFTER every 3rd party that could make an AAA Spider-Man game told Marvel to fuck off. This is all speculation but it's crazy for me to think Marvel did not right from the start, want the biggest userbase possible in terms of a multiplatform release. The only other 3rd party which I think could have said yes was Square Enix but hearing about their Avengers game, it seems very online focused.

In term of IP ownership, I think Sony are one company that really don't fuck around with that. The biggie here for me is Death Stranding, at best Sony were willing to put the game on PC but even that has died out but from the time it was announced (?) Sony owned the IP. If nothing else, they definitely own the IP now. Which is why I think Sony did not go begging for Spider-Man, Marvel would have been pretty desperate so think the terms would have been in Sony's favour. Be that licensing costs, how long they get Spider-Man for etc, that is a list that could go on forever.

Disney know they are shit tier in terms of making their own games, they have bailed out of the market besides licensing for a reason.

Status
Not open for further replies.