• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Should we move to a new OT after E3?

• Yes

Votes: 412 47.9%
  • No

Votes: 95 11.0%
  • Wait for the Playstation 5

Votes: 354 41.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

daniel77733

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Prediction: A Way Out will be the better game over Sea of Thieves and Ni No Kuni 2.

P.S. - Fuck the Oscars!!! And going by their TV rating, so did everyone else. LMAO!!!

Definitely a huge fan of Josef Fares and Hazelight. Hoping the game sells well.

StuBurns

Self Requested Ban
Banned
Nov 12, 2017
Second Son > First Light (mission design is better, and Digital is the best power)
DriveClub > DriveClub Bikes (why the fuck wasn't it called RideClub?)
Bloodborne > The Old Hunters (better bosses but level design falls short)
Frozen Wilds > Zero Dawn (more of the same, but prettier)
Lost Legacy > UC4 (not completely boring)

Oct 25, 2017
Digital is the best power? Opinion invalidated.

But yes, Lost Legacy is superior to UC4. TLL is the best UC, actually.

Last edited:

daniel77733

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Frozen Wilds > Zero Dawn (more of the same, but prettier)
Lost Legacy > UC4 (not completely boring)

Agree with Lost Legacy being better than UC4 but disagree with The Frozen Wilds being better than the base game. Loved TFW but the base game is easily better overall. I never played the other three games and expansions.

GamerDude

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Prediction: A Way Out will be the better game over Sea of Thieves and Ni No Kuni 2.

P.S. - Fuck the Oscars!!! And going by their TV rating, so did everyone else. LMAO!!!

Definitely a huge fan of Josef Fares and Hazelight. Hoping the game sells well.

Sadly, I don't think A Way Out looks too hot. I think it will perform the worst of those three critically.

1. Ni No Kuni 2
2. Sea of Thieves
3. A Way Out

Agree with Lost Legacy being better than UC4 but disagree with The Frozen Wilds being better than the base game. Loved TFW but the base game is easily better overall. I never played the other three games and expansions.

Yeah, I agree. Both are great, but the base game had a better story. I do feel Frozen Wilds had better side quests though.

daniel77733

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sadly, I don't think A Way Out looks too hot. I think it will perform the worst of those three critically.

1. Ni No Kuni 2
2. Sea of Thieves
3. A Way Out

Yeah, I agree. Both are great, but the base game had a better story. I do feel Frozen Wilds had better side quests though.

Really? I think A Way Out looks great and I love the "prison break" aspect of the game. Critically, I think it will be -

1. A Way Out
2. Ni No Kuni 2
3. Sea of Thieves

Fan wise -

1. Sea of Thieves (due to game pass...for $10, I think that the majority will be easy on the game where as if it was $60, people would be a little more upset)
2. Ni No Kuni 2 (think that fans will like it but not be pleased with some of the changes)
3. A Way Out (only because you MUST play with a friend as opposed to a random gamer via matchmaking)

In terms of actually being the best game excluding critics and fans -

1. A Way Out (it's perhaps the most unique and original game this generation that I have seen from a major publisher...majority of games are basically "safe")
2. Sea of Thieves (game will start out rough like all online focused live service games but will be good once a few months pass to where the beginning will be forgotten)
3. Ni No Kuni 2 (I think that when all is said and done, the first game will still be better. See more complaints with this game compared to the original. Will still be good but not entirely what was hoped for)

The side quests were very good in Horizon's base game and slightly better in TFW but that's also because there wasn't a "main story quest". Instead, TFW was only side quests and errands. The main side quest was basically the main quest but not labeled as such. I loved Horizon and TFW reminded me why Horizon was by far the best overall game of 2017. Amazing game. Can't wait for Horizon 2!!! :)

Wozman23

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Pico Rivera, CA
Naughty Dog still the most prolific studio for Sony. At the end of the generation they will have launched three games. (And im not counting the year they spent working on TLOU Remastered) Thats more than any other first party studio. I know these games are established IP but is still amazing.

But it's equal or less than many studios last generation:

Naughty Dog: 4 - UC 1, 2, 3 and TLoU
Sucker Punch: 3 - Infamous 1, 2, Festival of Blood
Media Molecule: 3 - LittleBigPlanet 1, 2, and Tearaway

and...

Insomniac: 10 - Resistance 1, 2, 3, Ratchet & Clank ToD, QfB, aCiT, A4O, FFA, ITN, and Fuse

Plus, Ratchet & Clank was the only existing IP out of all of those.

I'm not discrediting Naughty Dog. They are the best in the business. But it's disappointing that they probably won't launch any new IP this generation. It'll be the first time since the PlayStation was introduced that they didn't create any new IP during a console cycle. And, sure, the PS3 cycle was longer, but a releasing 3 games has just been par for pretty much every past generation.

fanboy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Slovakia
I'm playing Horizon again. I played the DLC last year but never played the whole game with the DLC. Now I get to finally do that and plan my skill tree accordingly based on the extra upgrades the DLC throws in.

Plan your skill tree? Is that even necessary, since you get all skills even before final missions (at least thats how I remember it).?

Its ok, but its kinda like fake rpg thing, since you dont really have to care about "your style of play" as you will get everyone of these skills anyway.

Nov 24, 2017
Probably
he will be resurrected.
There was an artwork with a massive giant alive in the background.

Its highly unlikely that he is resurrected. There are other Giants in his realm. Going by the lost pages, the Giants seem like sympathetic creatures who are being ravaged by the cruelty of Thor. They seem positioned to be allies rather enemies. And the dead giant has a son, so kratos cross paths with anyone it will likely be him (a vengeful son at that)

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017
According to this
the dead stone mason is one of the most epic enemies of the game!!!!
For those who do not know who he is, that's him:

gowstonemason.jpg

Isnt he
already dead? I mean according to the recent interview cory mentioned thor killed him. He is part of scenery now.

Probably
he will be resurrected.
There was an artwork with a massive giant alive in the background.

Its highly unlikely that he is resurrected. There are other Giants in his realm. Going by the lost pages, the Giants seem like sympathetic creatures who are being ravaged by the cruelty of Thor. They seem positioned to be allies rather enemies. And the dead giant has a son, so kratos cross paths with anyone it will likely be him (a vengeful son at that)

The dead stone mason in the picture is Thamur the father who got killed by Thor when looking for his son and the one you see standing in the background here:

God-of-War-2.jpg

is Harinthur with heart of a warrior instead of a builder and who quarreled with his father and fled beyond the wall which was supposed to protect them from Thor and he probably joined Thor's forces in order to halt Kratos. You can see in that scene that Harinthur is marching toward Kratos and his son while his killed father is buried under the snow his death caused with his hand still holding his hammer.

noctix

Oct 27, 2017
The dead stone mason in the picture is Thamur the father who got killed by Thor when looking for his son and the one you see standing in the background here:

God-of-War-2.jpg

is Harinthur with heart of a warrior instead of a builder and who quarreled with his father and fled beyond the wall which was supposed to protect them from Thor and he probably joined Thor's forces in order to halt Kratos. You can see in that scene that Harinthur is marching toward Kratos and his son while his killed father is buried under the snow his death caused with his hand still holding his hammer.

Looking at this makes me wish kratos son had grey hair...

THE GUY

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
There's something about the way Kratos's son looks that I just don't like. Don't know what it is, but I just want Kratos to go full asshole on him and slap the shit out of him. They needed a better design.

SageShinigami

Oct 27, 2017
Plan your skill tree? Is that even necessary, since you get all skills even before final missions (at least thats how I remember it).?

Its ok, but its kinda like fake rpg thing, since you dont really have to care about "your style of play" as you will get everyone of these skills anyway

Your skill tree still informs how you play. It's weird people don't get this.

Oct 27, 2017
That's fantastic Insomniac had the chance to choose which character to use!
I hope Sony-Marvel Video Game Universe takes place! With Spider man, black panther, Iron man, hulk and Dr. Strange. Sony gives them to different studio and finally we get an exclusive avengers game to close the deal! I can only dream...
We had info that David Jaffe was prototyping a VR Iron Man. Maybe it is handed to another studio...

Modest_Modsoul

Living the Dreams
Oct 29, 2017
If you want more about how Spider-Man game came to be, listen to Kotaku podcast of Jason Schrier interviewing Ted.

https://kotaku.com/podcast-how-spider-man-ps4-came-together-1796328173

Long story short: Sony came to us and asked if we wanted to work with Marvel. Sony and Marvel let us decide what character/universe we wanted to make a game based on. We chose Spider-Man.

That's awesome.

I hope you can propose a new Ratchet & Clank RPG to SONY.

Please. ._.

Henrik

Jan 3, 2018
Regarding the over 1000 people on Division 2 screams unhealthy for the industry with these Gaas games.

Sony's single player focus looks cheap in comparison to these balloon budgets from Activision, Rockstar, EA and Ubisoft.

At this point Japan Studio is the cheapest studio of how they managing their projects and staff, and reason why they can be allowed to be a flop factory sometimes when they don't bring out a Bloodborne with a collab partner.

Deleted member 11262

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
There is really no need for an Q&Era, because jstevenson answers our questions voluntarily. :D

I actually saw all the interviews regarding Spider-Man, but I never realized that...it's really cool that you could potentially have chosen some other character.

LiquidSolid

Oct 26, 2017
Nothing ever linked this deal to MCU rights and this info from James actually distances that even more.
I'd go further and say that based on what we know, there's no way it was part of that deal. The reality is different divisions within giant corporations generally don't care what's going on in other divisions. That's why you get Sony Music publishing games on Switch, Sony Pictures buying SOE and so on. So the chances of Sony Pictures negotiating something in favour of PlayStation as part of their movie deal with Marvel Studios is extremely low.

History will show that I'm on the right side of that. Just as it did with UC3.

I'm still convinced everyone will come around on CV > RE3, they're not there yet, but I'm patient.
lol, good luck with that. If anything, opinions of CV have (rightly) gone down even further over the years.

Deleted member 11262

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Also, The Order > Uncharted 4...
That's less praise for The Order than it is shade on UC4, but still, I'm actually enjoying this replay more than I ever enjoyed UC4.

I'm still convinced everyone will come around on CV > RE3, they're not there yet, but I'm patient.
LMAO

The only thing I can agree with you about is CV>RE3, but your other hot takes are so bad I'm inclined to just laugh at you. :D

Henrik

Jan 3, 2018
I try to figure out why it has taken LocoRoco team this long to announce a new game.

Gavin Moore talked about the development of Puppeteer and showed the first concept video at GDC 2014. Sony's marketing team said to him it was too Japanese to sell so he had to change the art style to Western art style. The marketing team tried to hide the origin of Japan Studio of creating Japanese games. They didn't even understood the concept of SotC which Allan Becker had to step in and defend, according to Yoshida.

LocoRoco team wanted to make a Japanese game when the marketing team was dead against JRPGs and anything with Japanese/Asian art style in 2007~2011. Kouno had already ideas for a new game in 2007. Why wait to 2018 to announce? I don't get it.

Before Allan Becker the studio must have been delusional and controlled by monkeys at Sony's Western marketing team who didn't understand Japanese games. Westernization was the only solution to sell.

tiebreaker

Oct 25, 2017
I try to figure out why it has taken LocoRoco team this long to announce a new game.

Gavin Moore talked about the development of Puppeteer and showed the first concept video at GDC 2014. Sony's marketing team said to him it was too Japanese to sell so he had to change the art style to Western art style. The marketing team tried to hide the origin of Japan Studio of creating Japanese games. They didn't even understood the concept of SotC which Allan Becker had to step in and defend, according to Yoshida.

LocoRoco team wanted to make a Japanese game when the marketing team was dead against JRPGs and anything with Japanese/Asian art style in 2007~2011. Kouno had already ideas for a new game in 2007. Why wait to 2018 to announce? I don't get it.

Before Allan Becker the studio must have been delusional and controlled by monkeys at Sony's Western marketing team who didn't understand Japanese games. Westernization was the only solution to sell.

That's interesting. I always find it kinda strange that the puppet is named Kutaro when the game looks very western.

dgrdsv

Oct 25, 2017
Naughty Dog - If PartII has single player DLC then this seems like the year it'd be released assuming that PII launches next year
I think it's a bit unrealistic to expect P2 next year, especially now, after they've moved similarly themed Days Gone to 2019. Assuming that PS5 will launch at the end of 2020, P2 will likely be released around June 2020 and follow the same path as P1, with P2 Remastered coming out in 2021.

Oct 31, 2017

Its ok, but its kinda like fake rpg thing, since you dont really have to care about "your style of play" as you will get everyone of these skills anyway.

That I'll get all the skills by the end doesn't change which ones I want to tackle first, though. Sometimes I want to stealth first; sometimes I want to get my item creation up to snuff as quickly as possible.

If I wait until the end to get a skill, it's one I'm not going to use for much of the game.

Thorrgal

Oct 26, 2017
Many posts to read but I wanted to post my top 15 of this gen. I have 2 lists, one for classic AAA and another for indie titles. And some multple entries (So I manage to squeeze 40+ games instead of 10 :P)

1. The Last of Us 2
2. Bloodborne + (DS3)
3. The Witcher 3
4. Horizon Zero Dawn
5. Kingdom Come: Deliverance
6. Uncharted 4 + (1-3 Remaster)
7. Assassins Creed Origins + (Black Flag)
8. Resident Evil 7 in VR
9. Borderlands: The Handsome Collection
10.NioH
11.Far Cry 4
12.Until Dawn
13.South Park (Both)
14.Tomb Raider (Both)
15.Shadows of Mordor

1. Limbo+Inside
2. Journey
3. Salt & Sanctuary
4. Hotline Miami 1-2
5. Life is Strange
6. The Binding of Isaac: Rebirth
7. Resogun/Alienation/Nex Machina
8. Rogue Legacy
9. Telltale games (TWD, TWAU,TFTB)
10.SuperHot VR
11.Darkest Dungeon
12.What Reamins of Edith Finch
13.Undertale
14.Fez
15.Shovel Knight

Order varies depending on the day...

fanboy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Slovakia
Many posts to read but I wanted to post my top 15 of this gen. I have 2 lists, one for classic AAA and another for indie titles. And some multple entries (So I manage to squeeze 40+ games instead of 10 :P)

1. The Last of Us 2
2. Bloodborne + (DS3)
3. The Witcher 3
4. Horizon Zero Dawn
5. Kingdom Come: Deliverance
6. Uncharted 4 + (1-3 Remaster)
7. Assassins Creed Origins + (Black Flag)
8. Resident Evil 7 in VR
9. Borderlands: The Handsome Collection
10.NioH
11.Far Cry 4
12.Until Dawn
13.South Park (Both)
14.Tomb Raider (Both)
15.Shadows of Mordor

1. Limbo+Inside
2. Journey
3. Salt & Sanctuary
4. Hotline Miami 1-2
5. Life is Strange
6. The Binding of Isaac: Rebirth
7. Resogun/Alienation/Nex Machina
8. Rogue Legacy
9. Telltale games (TWD, TWAU,TFTB)
10.SuperHot VR
11.Darkest Dungeon
12.What Reamins of Edith Finch
13.Undertale
14.Fez
15.Shovel Knight

Order varies depending on the day...

I really am not fond of these list starters. One start, another 20 will join and here we are, scrolling in list thread.

Tbh, top games in current gen, thats a list for a new thread, if you would like. I know you will defend these lists, but why not create new thread rather than spamming this thread, especially if we are not talkimg about first party.

SolidSnakex

Oct 25, 2017
I think it's a bit unrealistic to expect P2 next year, especially now, after they've moved similarly themed Days Gone to 2019. Assuming that PS5 will launch at the end of 2020, P2 will likely be released around June 2020 and follow the same path as P1, with P2 Remastered coming out in 2021.

I imagine that DG will be released fairly early on in 2019, so that'd give PII the majority of the rest of the year to release in. Plus ND typically developers big games in 3 or so years. As I mentioned earlier, the troubled development of Uncharted 4 is well known. The creative director/writer and director were all replaced on the project. They had to get the engine up to PS4 standards. And even with all that they still managed to release it three years after TLoU. 2019 will have been three years since U4.

Thorrgal

Oct 26, 2017
I really am not fond of these list starters. One start, another 20 will join and here we are, scrolling in list thread.

Tbh, top games in current gen, thats a list for a new thread, if you would like. I know you will defend these lists, but why not create new thread rather than spamming this thread, especially if we are not talkimg about first party.

I didnt start it, it was a thing of last week that I got late too.

I hope you can overcome such a grave affront though and that it doesn't cause you much grief.

Or you can just ignore me, like I just did with you ;)

Oct 25, 2017
Underground
Puppeteer was/is amazing. I'd love to play it again, but it's very hard going back to the PS3 since it's so much slower than a PS4 at nearly everything. Need a PS4 port or remaster.

Edit: How did the Patapon remaster turn out?

fanboy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Slovakia
I didnt start it, it was a thing of last week that I got late too.

I hope you can overcome such a grave affront though and that it doesn't cause you much grief.

Or you can just ignore me, like I just did with you ;)

You obviously did not...

and now contribution to the thread: when do you think embargo on God of War will lift?

17-18th march?

Nov 3, 2017
If you want more about how Spider-Man game came to be, listen to Kotaku podcast of Jason Schrier interviewing Ted.

https://kotaku.com/podcast-how-spider-man-ps4-came-together-1796328173

Long story short: Sony came to us and asked if we wanted to work with Marvel. Sony and Marvel let us decide what character/universe we wanted to make a game based on. We chose Spider-Man.

was it MCU or MARVEL in general?

A Ghost Rider game would've been incredible

daniel77733

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Also, The Order > Uncharted 4...
That's less praise for The Order than it is shade on UC4, but still, I'm actually enjoying this replay more than I ever enjoyed UC4.

Wow. As much as I love, defend and enjoyed The Order 1886 more than Uncharted 4, let's be realistic, Uncharted 4 is the far better overall game.

I do agree with you 1000% in regards to RE:CV being better than RE3. That's an easy decision. Nemesis is better than RE5 and RE6 but that's not saying much if anything. CV was awesome though and the true continuation of RE2. Nemesis was meh.

StuBurns

Self Requested Ban
Banned
Nov 12, 2017
Wow. As much as I love, defend and enjoyed The Order 1886 more than Uncharted 4, let's be realistic, Uncharted 4 is the far better overall game.
I really don't think that it is. The only way in which I prefer UC4 is the combat design, however, it's such a small portion of UC4. I think The Order has better art, which is rendered better, better voice acting, better dialogue scripting. UC4's narrative is stronger, but it's still totally flat to me. I actually really like Galahad, where as I can't stand Drake.

UC4 was a painfully dull experience to me, and it massively out stays its welcome. The Order is poorly paced, but from the Ripper reveal onwards, it has a great energy to it that left me wanting more. UC4 left me never wanting to play an Uncharted again. LL was great, and washed that taste away, but it was there.

I was joking about being on the 'right side of history', but I truly believe once TLoU2 comes out, this board will be littered with smack talk about UC4.

Thorrgal

Oct 26, 2017
UC4 was more fun to play than The Order though. I also like to defend the Order but let's get not crazy here, it had some huge flaws, while the flaws in UC4 were not that bad. It also nailed the ending, which is very hard to do.

Nice to see some recognintion for Code Veronica!!

Dave Mash

Banned
Feb 19, 2018
I loved Uncharted 4, and largely because of the sense of adventure which is fostered by the slower sections exploring the beautiful environments.

I do think it's a shame they removed the climbing mechanics, though. Uncharted has always been more of an adventure game than a shooter to me, and so I've always loved the down time traversing the world and solving puzzles etc. But it could have really done with making the climbing a proper test. It needed the more chilled sequences, but they could still have done that without removing all challenge.

Status
Not open for further replies.