• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Should we move to a new OT after E3?

• Yes

Votes: 412 47.9%
  • No

Votes: 95 11.0%
  • Wait for the Playstation 5

Votes: 354 41.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

John Bender

Oct 27, 2017
PixelOpus is a 12 man team based at SIEA's headquarters

PixelOpus

fertdguqk.png

14 employees.... this game looks amazing!

OG_Thrills

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
When did I say they will abandon Single-Player games? I merely stated they will decrease them to expand and invest in new GAAS projects.

Reading your other replies here it's clear that on this point you're just theorizing. The reason I kept asking for proof or some source to back this up is because it reads as definitive fact not theory. And on that note (while we're theorizing and all) I don't think Sony will slow down their production of single player games. Especially now that Microsoft has all but vacated that genre. They will explore MTs for certain. However, with their Marketing deals they are partnered with all of the biggest Service based games already.

I'm not sure they'll be too keen to rupture those relationships by introducing a direct competitor. Especially when those deals like COD and Destiny keep breaking sales records on their platform. In fact, they actually cancelled a service based game that would have competed with Destiny.

Hopefully when they do implement MTs it will be via a new ip. Instead of going back into an existing ip and carving it up in a similar fashion to what XB did with the latest gears.

Nightengale

Oct 26, 2017
Malaysia
Sony WWS has explored MTs and F2P earlier this gen. However, they all but failed miserably at it and it's pretty clear why when we see what their investments amounted to. Killstrain, Drawn to Death, Guns Up, etc... these are not games that are in any shape or form competitive with the best F2P GAAS out in the market. Not even close.

Historically, Sony WWS has never been one to enforce new business ideas they want to explore onto their flagship studios. When PSP/Vita happened, their flagship studios other than Polyphony didn't support them, most first-party stuff were either handled by the smaller studios or outsourced. When VR happened, again, other than Polyphony, no one else even bothered to do something like a gimmicky VR mode. When F2P happened, they asked San Diego to do it and worked with external partners to explore it.

As we saw with the Visceral shutdown article, Sony has historically allowed their studios to operate on their own with limited publisher interference on every little aspect. ( not saying it's not there, we still have stuff like publishers commenting on Ellie on cover, doing research on Aloy as the main character, etc ) and unless things change in that respect, historically none of Sony's studios currently have the level of structure to be interested in GAAS.

The top honchos at Sony's WWS, for better or worst; are mostly "storyteller" devs. At least as of this moment, other than Kazunori; there's no other at Sony's creative leadership team who has an 'ongoing service' mindset.

Sony will need to figure out how they want to handle GAAS better moving forward. They can start by actually giving the initiatives a proper budget.

Quintus

Enlightened
Oct 26, 2017
Reading your other replies here it's clear that on this point you're just theorizing. The reason I kept asking for proof or some source to back this up is because it reads as definitive fact not theory. And on that note (while we're theorizing and all) I don't think Sony will slow down their production of single player games. Especially now that Microsoft has all but vacated that genre. They will explore MTs for certain. However, with their Marketing deals they are partnered with all of the biggest Service based games already.

I'm not sure they'll be too keen to rupture those relationships by introducing a direct competitor. Especially when those deals like COD and Destiny keep breaking sales records on their platform. In fact, they actually cancelled a service based game that would have competed with Destiny.

Hopefully when they do implement MTs it will be via a new ip. Instead of going back into an existing ip and carving it up in a similar fashion to what XB did with the latest gears.

Yes, I am theorizing(sorry If I led you or anyone else to believe otherwise) based on the news I posted above and general industry trends, Sony may make GaaS projects or may not and I certainly hope they don't pursue them.

Oct 27, 2017
There was Sony Online Entertainment before so maybe they form some online studio like that focusing on online, Gaas and battle royal games.

John Bender

Oct 27, 2017
Yes, I am theorizing(sorry If I led you or anyone else to believe otherwise) based on the news I posted above and general industry trends, Sony may make GaaS projects or may not and I certainly hope they don't pursue them.
DLCs can mean a lot of things. DLCs in LBP and Dreams make sense. LPB without DLCs would have been terrible. Expansions like Horizon Zero Dawn The Frozen Wilds or Bloodborne The Old Hunters are DLCs. That's what some people here don't get.
They always think DLC means horse armor, or skins. And that expansions like The Frozen Wilds are something completely different. Well no, they're not. For devs and publishers, story expansions like The Frozen Wilds are DLCs. Nothing else.
So if "more DLCs" means we will get more story expansions in the future, then good. I never understood why games like TLOU, Uncharted 4, Horizon, Bloodborne, Until Dawn and all the other Sony games only had one expansion, or no expansion at all.
Sell the main game, plan with 2 story expansions (see Dark Souls 3) and sell a season pass with the main game. And yes, offer small DLC stuff like extra skins, weapons, maps, cars, etc. for multiplayer stuff, as you can see in Uncharted MP, TLOU MP and soon GT. Sport.
Simply don't go crazy with them and all is good.

Saint-14

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
An AAA multiplayer focused game from one of their big studios could be interesting (GTS counts I think but that's a car game], I doubt any of them would want to work on such a title though unless Sony forces them.

Laplasakos

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So, i haven't been following this thread closely but is there any evidence or hope that Sony will make a new fighter, similar to Playstation All Stars (or Smash) in the future?

OG_Thrills

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

It's a burgeoning revenue stream so Sony will definitely pursue it. The real question, at least for me, is can Sony implement them with a greater deal of finesse than we've seen thus far. Take Horizon Zero Dawn 2 for instance. Strictly cosmetic outfits which you can purchase via Mt's is something they'd make bank on. I can see it now, Aloy's bow/outfit etc all unique which you can purchase from a vendor? Guerilla could print money if implemented right.

But what would kill HZD2 is pay to level up before you can start your next quest.

Bottom line, if Sony continues to make/invest in really good single player games and adds more cosmetics (or any other mechanic that has no bearing on progression) we're ok. Mt's simply to start a mission...... I have a feeling the Sony fan base will be less forgiving and the eventual backlash, will be one with a lot mote clout to it. Simply because Sony's core audience really embrace that single player story driven narrative.

Putting that user base behind a paywall isn't worth the short term gains they could make if and when they introduce it.

FelipeMGM

#Skate4
Oct 25, 2017
What if like many other Sony studios Bend also grew enough to have a second team to develop a proper AAA Syphon Filter reboot?

eeeh, thats not really a thing

I think only Japan Studio has multiple teams at this point, and they can do that because they use a lot of contractors

Last edited:
OP
OP
JuanLatino

JuanLatino

Cerny’s little helper
Oct 25, 2017
in regards to DLC's for Dreams.

if my understanding of the game is correct, then Media Molecule could basically continue their work on this game for their whole career (given the game is successfull)
some story driven games, plattformers, kartgames? Thats all possible right? Creating a whole game with the tools of Dreams
its christmas, and MM releases a cute christmas plattformer. Or in Halloween a Horror Game?

And like the Guy said himself, by owning a guitar it doesnt stop you from buying music.
While everyone can create their own games and worlds in Dreams, a proffessional one made by Top Tier Studio is something else & im sure people would be willing to buy those.

The Potential is indeed huge for this project. Dreams could be a money maker for years to come & is the dark horse among the first party games.

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017
The Gateway franchise and 8 Days shoudl reappear some day. I am pretty sure Jak And Daxter is being made in parallel with TLOU2.

Deleted member 1326

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Eh...
I hope Spider-Man does dlc like Sony usually does. Left Behind, First Light, Old Hunters, Lost Legacy, Frozen Wilds were all amazing.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
And for good reason, honestly. The nostalgia for collectathon platformers that aren't Mario is kinda overblown.

That's not to say it doesn't exist, but it's kind of a waste of what Naughty Dog can do to make something like Jak nowadays.

Deleted member 1326

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's very expected but ND probably is in early stages of fleshing out Savage Starlight.
Kurt Margenau, Shaun Escayg, Josh Scherr (Lost Legacy staff) should be doing it.

Also, check Kurt's fixed tweet.

No better time than now since there won't be an Uncharted like Star Wars game.

Deleted member 864

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm really curious to see what ND could do with a Savage Starlight game, if one is in production they definitely have my interest.

Zukkoyaki

Oct 25, 2017
Speaking of Ratchet & Clank, I wonder if we're going to get another any time soon. Sure most, if not all, of Insomniac is working on Spider-Man but the 2016 reboot was a legit surprise hit for Sony. Another one feels inevitable.

Deleted member 1326

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
A big mistake if they do. There was a scrapped reboot project that looked interesting. Insomniac never gave up on Ratchet And Clank and the last reboot was great.
I'd like a new Jak, but that scrapped stuff looked bad.

Speaking of Ratchet & Clank, I wonder if we're going to get another any time soon. Sure most, if not all, of Insomniac is working on Spider-Man but the 2016 reboot was a legit surprise hit for Sony. Another one feels inevitable.
I think they have something in the works. When asked about R&C in past streams Insomniac has said "nothing to announce at the moment" or "there isn't anything announced yet". While when they were asked about Resistance they said ask Sony or something like that.

Ian Henry

Oct 29, 2017
Savage Starlight is gonna be interesting. I hope if they'll make it dark in the vein of Dead Space. With the aliens and shit. Put some RPG and Puzzel elements as well. And they'll definitely have a sure fire hit in their hands.

Heckler456

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
Savage Starlight is gonna be interesting. I hope if they'll make it dark in the vein of Dead Space. With the aliens and shit. Put some RPG and Puzzel elements as well. And they'll definitely have a sure fire hit in their hands.
Here's a crazy idea. It's never gonna happen, but one can hope...

You know how they're constantly widening their levels, right? And how they're experimenting with branching dialogue and all that?

And you know how Bioware made a 100 hour Mass Effect game instead of the usual ~30 hour ones?

Imagine a Naughty Dog space opera dialogue/worldbuilding-heavy RPG in the same vein as Mass Effect.

Those used to be pretty damn linear, and TLOU was already a 15 hour game, so it wouldn't be totally out of the realm of possibility for them to up it to ~30 while keeping something resembling their usual quality. I'd totally be up for a Naughty Dog take on space opera.

Ian Henry

Oct 29, 2017
Here's a crazy idea. It's never gonna happen, but one can hope...

You know how they're constantly widening their levels, right? And how they're experimenting with branching dialogue and all that?

And you know how Bioware made a 100 hour Mass Effect game instead of the usual ~30 hour ones?

Imagine a Naughty Dog space opera dialogue/worldbuilding-heavy RPG in the same vein as Mass Effect.

Those used to be pretty damn linear, and TLOU was already a 15 hour game, so it wouldn't be totally out of the realm of possibility for them to up it to ~30 while keeping something resembling their usual quality. I'd totally be up for a Naughty Dog take on space opera.

That's basically what I was thinking about too.

SageShinigami

Oct 27, 2017

What on Earth on you talking about? Let's not pretend that's real, it gets me excited for no reason. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.