• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Should we move to a new OT after E3?

• Yes

Votes: 412 47.9%
  • No

Votes: 95 11.0%
  • Wait for the Playstation 5

Votes: 354 41.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

LastNac

Oct 30, 2017
It's very expected but ND probably is in early stages of fleshing out Savage Starlight.
Kurt Margenau, Shaun Escayg, Josh Scherr (Lost Legacy staff) should be doing it.

Also, check Kurt's fixed tweet.

No better time than now since there won't be an Uncharted like Star Wars game.

You realize this was in reference to Donald Trump winning the Election, right?

Oct 31, 2017
I asked already, but are we sure they're not renewing the trademark for Syphon Filter so it didn't expire?

You realize this was in reference to Donald Trump winning the Election, right?

I think he's saying it's interesting that he's pinned it. I don't know if he pinned it recently or if it's been pinned since last year or due to an event that happened this year, though. And without knowing that, then I think people shouldn't get their hopes up (the story of GAF/people who left GAF =P).

LastNac

Oct 30, 2017
I asked already, but are we sure they're not renewing the trademark for Syphon Filter so it didn't expire?

I think he's saying it's interesting that he's pinned it. I don't know if he pinned it recently or if it's been pinned since last year or due to an event that happened this year, though. And without knowing that, then I think people shouldn't get their hopes up (the story of GAF/people who left GAF =P).
It was the night of the election. It's been pinned since the election as well.

DeathyG

Oct 27, 2017
NW Indiana
ND's next IP will probably be something nobody saw coming. Hell, TLoU surprised the hell outta me when it was announced.

Whatever it is, it should be glorious on PS5 :D

FelipeMGM

#Skate4
Oct 25, 2017
Well. I think Jak An Daxter isn't dead yet (and shouldn't be) whether by a reboot or a sequel (a sequel is better) that is why they nevr gave up on the IP and never sold it. It may come one day.

thats why you think a new one is being made right now? because they never got rid of the IP?

that means nothing dude, they never sell any of their properties, they own more than a couple hundreds of videogame IP's

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017
thats why you think a new one is beeing made right now? because they never got rid of the IP?
Naughty Dog said a while ago they will start doing on multiple games and not just one, plus the re-release of Jak And Daxter (and the enire franchise for a later date) as PS2 Classics on PS4 and even its offering it with Uncharted:TLL pre-order isn't innocent. If the series is dead and buried this would have never happened. The series was frozen for a long time and not dead, so it is time to revive it. And I see no reason for many to get offended if this flagship series comes back. People asked for the return for long time dead very limited series and they got what they wanted and they still ask for others.

zsynqx

Oct 25, 2017
It's very expected but ND probably is in early stages of fleshing out Savage Starlight.
Kurt Margenau, Shaun Escayg, Josh Scherr (Lost Legacy staff) should be doing it.

Also, check Kurt's fixed tweet.

No better time than now since there won't be an Uncharted like Star Wars game.

Look at the date of that tweet

Heckler456

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
Naughty Dog said a while ago they will start doing on multiple games and not just one, plus the re-release of Jak And Daxter (and the enire franchise for a later date) as PS2 Classics on PS4 and even its offering it with Uncharted:TLL pre-order isn't innocent. If the series is dead and buried this would have never happened. The series was frozen for a long time and not dead, so it is time to revive it. And I see no reason for many to get offended if this flagship series comes back. People asked for the return for long time dead very limited series and they got what they wanted and they still ask for others.
They do not have multiple teams.

Zukkoyaki

Oct 25, 2017
Naughty Dog's next IP is going to be a surprise, no doubt in my mind. Hopefully it's a gritty, realistic action/adventure that involves Kaiju because I need something like that in my life.

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017
They do not have multiple teams.
Hello there. It seems you aren't aware that since the start of last-gen ND had 2 teams, the ones who did Uncharted 1 were in charge of making Uncharted 3 and those who were in charge of making Uncharted 2 did TLOU. Since then ND grew even bigger and there may be even a possibility that a smaller 3rd team could be doing R&D for techs and upcoming projects till a bigger team gets in charge of the project.

Heckler456

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
Hello there. It seems you aren't aware that since the start of last-gen ND had 2 teams, the ones who di Uncharted 1 were in charge of making Uncharted 3 and those who were in charge of making Uncharted 2 did TLOU. Since then ND grew even bigger and there may be even a possibility that a smaller 3rd team coudl be doing R1D for techs and upcoming projects till a bigger team gets in charge of the project.
Yeah... No. They tried the two full teams approach, and it didn't work. The entire studio worked on Uncharted 4, moved on the LL while a smaller team kickstarted TLOU:II, and now the entire studio is on TLOU:II. At best, the LL leads are now working on the new IP.

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah... No. They tried the two full teams approach, and it didn't work. The entire studio worked on Uncharted 4, moved on the LL while a smaller team kickstarted TLOU:II, and now the entire studio is on TLOU:II. At best, the LL leads are now working on the new IP.

Still this new IP could be anything from Savage Starlight to Jak & Daxter to an entirely new IP.

AegonSnake

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
lol They are not going to make another Jak. Sony devs move on to greater and bigger things. They cant be making kiddie games all their lives. No, that fate is reserved for Nintendo devs lol. jk dont kill me

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017
lol They are not going to make another Jak. Sony devs move on to greater and bigger things. They cant be making kiddie games all their lives. No, that fate is reserved for Nintendo devs lol. jk dont kill me
And people almost died for a Crash Bandicoot game (that is not neither a Sony nor a ND IP anymore). -_- ...

So according to you Ratchet And Clank is a useless game on PS4 then.

I know it's a joke.

Rogote

Oct 25, 2017
One thing Sony's first party devs seem to do is come out with games no one saw coming from them. I mean, GG with Horizon, ND with TLOU and now SP with Tsushima.

Heckler456

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
Yeah. I don't see it either. Crash was way more popular, and the best we got was a remake made by some AA studio. To then think Sony's gonna put their premiere studio to the task of making a 4th entry into the Jak and Daxter franchise? Completely unthinkable, if not patently ridiculous, if you ask me. Besides, why would they go from "exploring the merits of storytelling in video games" to retreading old ground? It's just not what they do. The people who care about whatever Jak and Daxter represented aren't even there anymore, for the most part.

I don't even get why you'd want it to begin with. There's nothing worth going back for. Anything you'd want to achieve you could do far better in a new IP.

FelipeMGM

#Skate4
Oct 25, 2017

lol, no one is offended by that, Im sure most like Jak & Daxter in some capacity (I do). Is just that you said you were pretty sure ND was making the game alongside TLoU Pt II and no one agrees for various reasons (one of them being that they don't have two full teams at ND like they wanted in the past, something they said multiple times), thats all.

And no series is ever dead and buried, we have heard that multiple times from SIE execs, but that doesn't mean they all have factual shots of coming back as well. They released stuff like Okage, War Of Monsters and Kinectica on the PS2 classics, they put Primal on that catalog, and a year later they closed the studio who developed that game. These things dont mean much I think

And comparing Jak & Daxter to Ratchet & Clank doesnt make much sense either. R&C is the biggest hit series Insomniac has made still, J&D is on the bottom of that scale for Naughty Dog, and a kind of game they havent been making for over 10 years already.

Jak & Daxter coming back? Sure. ND making one at the moment? No way

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017
You know what I would do for a Demons remaster? You don't wanna know.
Well I won't like a remaster a or remake like Crash. I would like a real game, the real deal. If you understand what I mean.
But I still think Jak & Daxter won't be the same with the departure of Jason Rubin. If he stayed at ND, he would have fought for the franchise to come back a long time ago.

Edit: the hell did I quote myself for? Sigh..

I was wondering the same too. XD

Nakenorm

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Whatever they're doing after Tlou2 is years away, but I'm not tired of uncharted yet..
Especially after TLL.

Deleted member 864

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not tired of Uncharted either, I really enjoyed Lost Legacy so I'd love to see more in the future. I'd still like to see a game with a younger Sully as the lead, maybe before he meets Drake. Or, even another game with Chloe and Nadine since their relationship in TLL was one of my favorite parts of it.

Deleted member 17403

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'd rather see Naughty Dog build it's stable of ip's than returning to fairly recent ones. It makes them seem more accomplished and varied while players also have the opportunity to play a vast array of games. It also serves to have different people within ND contributing in creative ways they otherwise wouldn't have. Let Uncharted sleep for sometime, and revisit it sometime in the future but push for more ideas and hand off J&D to another studio, my vote being Blue Point...Shadow of the Colossus looks unbelievably good.

Ian Henry

Oct 29, 2017
At this point, I feel like Bluepoint Game should be acquired by Sony. They do a damn good job. Have them transition from making remakes and new IPs or entries in past series. Fuck....they would be a great addition to WWS

Deleted member 1326

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They really would. There are a ton of studios that work well with Sony. Insomniac, Quantic Dreams, Housemarque.
Sony missed buying From Software a couple years ago, Atlus too. Not sure if they are in for acquisitions though.
Bluepoint would work great because they could also keep them remaking classics forever.

NLCPRESIDENT

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Midwest
At this point, I feel like Bluepoint Game should be acquired by Sony. They do a damn good job. Have them transition from making remakes and new IPs or entries in past series. Fuck....they would be a great addition to WWS

They would.
Even though Sony are throwing these guys a lot of work; they couldn't do the odd MGS collection or Titanfall. And it's possibly scary to them, being tied down.

Zukkoyaki

Oct 25, 2017
Not that I would be opposed to any acquisitions but I think Worldwide Studios is in a good place right now in terms of number of studios, output and variety of content.

Macca

Oct 25, 2017
Not that I would be opposed to any acquisitions but I think Worldwide Studios is in a good place right now in terms of number of studios, output and variety of content.

For sure. But if Insomniac(I know they've rejected it in the past) or a Quantic Dream would come up as possibly acquistions. I think they would be nice additions to what they already got.

OP
OP
JuanLatino

JuanLatino

Cerny’s little helper
Oct 25, 2017
Did you know that the Guys from Sucker Punch moved into a new Studio? Atleast thats what they say on their Homepage

To celebrate a new IP, we decided to move into a new studio as well. With fresh paint and new art on the walls, we're settling in nicely. There are dozens of restaurants, coffee shops and amenities close by, and plenty of transportation options as well.

LiquidSolid

Oct 26, 2017
A lot of people felt the same about Cambridge Studio, we heard they were a great tech team and helped a lot of WWS teams with their games. But you're right Manchester Studio and Pixel Opus teams are recently created there is no way Sony will close them down so soon.
Great tech team != R&D. London Studio have had their hands in a ton of stuff Sony's done over the years, particularly PSVR right now.

As for the other stuff, I'll answer it below.

Yes, I am theorizing(sorry If I led you or anyone else to believe otherwise) based on the news I posted above and general industry trends, Sony may make GaaS projects or may not and I certainly hope they don't pursue them.
See, I don't have a problem with them pursuing GaaS, in fact, I hope they do. Sony's published a number of great games over the years that'd be perfect for the GaaS treatment. Gran Turismo (which they're obviously pursuing, though they maybe went too deep on GaaS and left behind a lot of their single player fans), LBP, Warhawk, SOCOM 2, Killzone 2, TLOU MP, Uncharted 2 MP, Wipeout and so on.

What I object to is the idea they'll invest less into single player games next gen and that Kodera is somehow going to force them to move to GaaS. First off, Sony's meant to be a pretty hands-off publisher and I find the idea of Kodera suddenly changing that pretty doubtful. Second, it's not like they're going to cancel or meddle with studios/series that are doing well, they might introduce some GaaS stuff into some of those games but it's not like they're going to force Guerrilla to turn Horizon into a mindless co-op game like Ghost Recon Wildlands or whatever.

Key part: "A while ago." Things change. Just a few months ago Naughty Dog were saying they'd given up on having multiple teams and were happy with their current 1.5 teams structure, with one game in full production and one game in pre-production at a time.

ahktang

Oct 28, 2017
Bellevue, wa
Did you know that the Guys from Sucker Punch moved into a new Studio? Atleast thats what they say on their Homepage

Yeah they have a picture on their homepage of it.
key-art-09-1.jpg

Minilla

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Tokyo

Yeah, this is my understanding I got from a interview with ND on YouTube .

They have one smaller team developing the next idea / game (so now new IP perhaps ) and the bulk on current game LOU2. Said they couldn't recruit enough staff for two teams working on 2 games simultaneously.

icyflamez96

Oct 26, 2017
Speaking of Ratchet & Clank, I wonder if we're going to get another any time soon. Sure most, if not all, of Insomniac is working on Spider-Man but the 2016 reboot was a legit surprise hit for Sony. Another one feels inevitable.

I think the earliest we'll hear about one is late 2018. I'll be surprised if it happens before that.

Elfstruck

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Thanks.
Well without ND, I won't even care, so...
It's fun to have have dream about our favorite IP to make a return, but I'm pretty sure ND won't come back to the Jak series. This isn't the same ND that created Crash and Jak. Now, they want to make a more mature, grounded and realistic game which Jak doesn't fit. As for Insomniac, the team responsible for R&C is still there, so of course they will have no trouble making more R&C. Here is the quote from Josh Sherr ( the guy who made TLL): ''No, I don't, because we've got an amazing team of people making some really expressive performances with our current stable of realistic characters. I mean, animating the stylised stuff is a lot of fun, but the stories that we're trying to tell right now are a little bit more grounded and a little bit more grown up than they were back in the Jak and Daxter days.''

https://www.gamnesia.com/news/naughty-dog-says-no-to-a-return-to-crash-bandicoot-or-jak-and-daxter

Status
Not open for further replies.