• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Should we move to a new OT after E3?

• Yes

Votes: 412 47.9%
  • No

Votes: 95 11.0%
  • Wait for the Playstation 5

Votes: 354 41.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Macca

Oct 25, 2017
Not sure if old

According to Cage, Detroit is by far QD's biggest launch ever. The video is in french.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-l5xJWXR1og&t=53m10s

I wonder if he's talking in terms of sales or just marketing and stuff? Anyways I hope this game does well, so Sony and Quantic Dream will continue working together. I feel no other publisher would give them the time or resources for the relatively high production values their games got.

edo_kid

Oct 27, 2017

janusff

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
I want to play Detroit solely for the graphics. But I know I'll regret it buying full price for that alone. Will pick up down the line for sure.

Emilijo

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I just want Crash Team Racing to be announced…...or Sly…….or LittleBigPlanet…….or Ratchet & Clank…...or……...

orochi91

Oct 26, 2017
Canada
I'm going in.

*Puts on gear*
1ba.jpg

Terraforce

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Yea... you might actually want to go back and see what that discussion was about initially.

If the Nintendo Switch version of Dark Souls wasn't delayed, there's a good chance that it could have outsold Detroit.

The UK numbers for Detroit were nothing impressive, and people acting as if the worldwide numbers somehow changes that for the UK numbers in a Pal Charts thread is hilarious.
Still sounds good for Detroit if DS couldn't beat out Detroit on three systems and potentially needed a fourth or even more to outpace it. And idk how the Pal thing is hilarious. GoW doing worse than people expected didn't do shit for the overall sales figures. If anything I think it's funny that some act as if UK sales are make or break or is indicative of what the game will sell WW. Just like GoW, Detroit sales in UK can be mediocre or under expectations and still sell.

Oct 25, 2017
Still sounds good for Detroit if DS couldn't beat out Detroit on three systems and potentially needed a fourth or even more to outpace it. And idk how the Pal thing is hilarious. GoW doing worse than people expected didn't do shit for the overall sales figures. If anything I think it's funny that some act as if UK sales are make or break or is indicative of what the game will sell WW. Just like GoW, Detroit sales in UK can be mediocre or under expectations and still sell.

GoW sales in UK were great. It opened higher than previous entries.

Detroit and GoW aren't comparable.

Terraforce

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
GoW sales in UK were great. It opened higher than previous entries.

Detroit and GoW aren't comparable.
That's not what I'm saying at all. What I said was GoW was lower than many expected and still did gangbusters WW. As is the case with several other games that sell below expectations in UK but much better WW. Not sure why we're putting so much stock into UK all of a sudden.

Oct 25, 2017
That's not what I'm saying at all. What I said was GoW was lower than many expected and still did gangbusters WW. As is the case with several other games that sell below expectations in UK but much better WW. Not sure why we're putting so much stock into UK all of a sudden.

UK is typically a mini-US. Not always, but often. GoW did great in the UK, because it debuted higher than past games. People expectations don't really have an impact on that, especially since GoW has always been a tradionally US focused series. It then proceeded to have great legs in the UK and now has sold a phenomenal amount. Those legs are also present in other regions, which is why it's a good market to look at generally.

Oct 25, 2017
GOW in the UK were below UC4 and maybe even HZD yet world wide it's the fastest selling exclusive.

Yes, because GoW is a monster in the US. That coupled with strong growth in other regions gave it a great boost.

GoW3 sold over a million in the US in it's opening month on PS3 for example. Very few Sony titles have reached that mark, let alone surpassed it. GoW improved on that number, added a boost in other regions and set new records.

Terraforce

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
UK is typically a mini-US. Not always, but often. GoW did great in the UK, because it debuted higher than past games. People expectations don't really have an impact on that, especially since GoW has always been a tradionally US focused series. It then proceeded to have great legs in the UK and now has sold a phenomenal amount. Those legs are also present in other regions, which is why it's a good market to look at generally.
Aren't UK sales for GoW around a couple hundred thousand? Because they're closer to 2 million in the US. Doesn't sound like a mini-US at all.

And yes it does mean something. As Mezoly said, it sold less than HZD and UC4 in the UK, that much is a fact. Yet it's on the tails of HZD's year plus sales in less than a month. That alone should be indicative that it's incredibly misguided to put much stock into that single region alone. And you're talking legs as if you have reason to believe Detroit won't have legs when there is no indication of such. You also say GoW is a monster in the US but why are you arbitrarily ignoring the fact that the same could be the case for Detroit? Heavy Rain did amazing there as well.

And with threads like this: https://www.resetera.com/threads/da...far-quantic-dreams-biggest-launch-ever.45637/
Cement the fact that you're not looking at the situation properly at all if you assume UK means so much for the performance of this game.

Oct 25, 2017
Aren't UK sales for GoW around a couple hundred thousand? Because they're closer to 2 million in the US. Doesn't sound like a mini-US at all.

And yes it does mean something. As Mezoly said, it sold less than HZD and UC4 in the UK, that much is a fact. Yet it's on the tails of HZD's year plus sales in less than a month. That alone should be indicative that it's incredibly misguided to put much stock into that single region alone. And you're talking legs as if you have reason to believe Detroit won't have legs when there is no indication of such. You also say GoW is a monster in the US but why are you arbitrarily ignoring the fact that the same could be the case for Detroit? Heavy Rain did amazing there as well.

And with threads like this: https://www.resetera.com/threads/da...far-quantic-dreams-biggest-launch-ever.45637/
Cement the fact that you're not looking at the situation properly at all if you assume UK means so much for the performance of this game.

I said generally, not in the instance of GoW, since it's an incredibly US dominant series.

And I've replied to Melozy. Those titles had a UK to US performance that was much more the norm. But that's again why I used generally.

It's not misguided at all. And I am not ignoring that it could be massive. It just doesn't have precedence like the GoW series.

And I'm not the one incorrectly conflating the discussion. Some people get upset that folks in a PAL Charts thread talk about UK numbers and instead go, "but world wide numbers" when that doesn't really do much to address the numbers that the thread was created for.

Terraforce

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I said generally, not in the instance of GoW, since it's an incredibly US dominant series.

And I've replied to Melozy. Those titles had a UK to US performance that was much more the norm. But that's again why I used generally.

It's not misguided at all. And I am not ignoring that it could be massive. It just doesn't have precedence like the GoW series.
GoW didn't have a precedent within its own series lol. It outsold every other preceding game within a month. Suffice to say it is definitely misguided to put much stock into a single region when we have examples just from the past several months that would indicate the inverse of what people assumed.

And you ignored it, but that topic I linked to furthers my point. If UK sales are 1/4 of Heavy Rain, that means other regions (likely primarily US) had to sell even more than usual to be the best selling game in the company's history. I don't even need to rely on hypotheticals, the fact that it sold more than any other game within this time frame is proof in itself how laughable and misguided it is to follow UK sales so closely.

Oct 25, 2017
GoW didn't have a precedent within its own series lol. It outsold every other preceding game within a month. Suffice to say it is definitely misguided to put much stock into a single region when we have examples just from the past several months that would indicate the inverse of what people assumed.

And you ignored it, but that topic I linked to furthers my point. If UK sales are 1/4 of Heavy Rain, that means other regions (likely primarily US) had to sell even more than usual to be the best selling game in the company's history. I don't even need to rely on hypotheticals, the fact that it sold more than any other game within this time frame is proof in itself how laughable and misguided it is to follow UK sales so closely.

GoW did have precedence...

The previous games in the series always sold much more in the US than they did in the UK compared to the vast majority of other Sony IPs. And that precedence held up. The new one sold 1.9m in it's opening month in the US, which shows how ridiculously strong the series is in the US.

And I ignored it because the topic is not confirmed as of yet as a fact. It says biggest launch, not biggest sales launch. It very well could be what you posit is the case but it's not a fact yet.

And what you missed is that you're hilariously saying that it's misguided to follow UK sales so closely yet the only ones upset by it are those that don't like a particular games performance in the region. As if the thread dedicated to UK sales isn't an indicator enough that the thread might be following... UK sales. As if a games world wide performance somehow changes the narrative about a titles specific UK performance. It certainly does for an overall look. But the UK numbers are what they are, and the game being a success in other regions doesn't change that.

It's the equivalent of going into the Media Create threads and shouting, "but the world wide PS4 sales" everytime the PS4 doesn't sell well in Japan.

Like... no shit sherlock. That's not the point of the topic though is it.

Mezoly

Jimbo Replacement
Oct 25, 2017
Last edited:

Terraforce

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
It's the equivalent of going into the Media Create threads and shouting, "but the world wide PS4 sales" everytime the PS4 doesn't sell well in Japan.

Like... no shit sherlock. That's not the point of the topic though is it.

Who said that was the point of the topic? The point is that one region doesn't always mean much when it comes to overall performance so people can stop using that as a reason to downplay reception as what often happens in threads like that. But regardless my point has been proven with the thread I linked, and disproves your whole argument in assuming that GoW is somehow some singular special case. And if you want to ignore it for whatever arbitrary reason, that's on you.

Oct 25, 2017
Who said that was the point of the topic? The point is that one region doesn't always mean much when it comes to overall performance so people can stop using that as a reason to downplay reception as what often happens in threads like that. But regardless my point has been proven with the thread I linked, and disproves your whole argument in assuming that GoW is somehow some singular special case. And if you want to ignore it for whatever arbitrary reason, that's on you.

Yes, your thread completely disproved my assertion that generally the UK is a mini-US. Wow, you really showed me. And boo on me for ignoring your thread that you posited as a fact simply because it hasn't been confirmed to be sales yet, when I don't even deny the possibility exists, just merely that it hasn't been confirmed as a fact yet.

All y'all quick to the gun QD defenders need better reading comprehension.

TheRulingRing

Banned
Apr 6, 2018
Because eventually it will or it will be some required co-op bullshit which im not going to play whatsoever. There's a lot of online only co-op/multi-player games out there and not once have I ever wanted any type of single player campaign to be added in. If a game doesn't have what im looking for, I skip it. That's it. I don't go nuts. It's simply a pass.

In general, I agree 100% but again, when it comes to The Division and I have argued this with plenty of people because they're wrong, it's an RPG. If anything, anyone going into The Division should be expecting this. I knew from the first trailer what it was plus it clearly says RPG at the end of the trailer.

I guess. Maybe they'll add in what you're looking for post-launch. Either way, im super hyped and wish the rest of 2018 zooms by!!! LOL.

As for my review scale, I don't review online only games because I don't play them which in turn means that im not being unfair because there's nothing for me to review since I don't play, say an Overwatch for example to begin with. LOL.

You don't need to worry about Sony losing focus on single player any time this gen or even next gen, they know what they're good at for now.

Fair enough, you mentioned Overwatch as an example so I thought you were going on a killing spree to dash MP games for your single player agenda lol.

Anyway I'm glad our essays are getting shorter, maybe we are getting somewhere after all :p

Status
Not open for further replies.