• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Should we move to a new OT after E3?

• Yes

Votes: 412 47.9%
  • No

Votes: 95 11.0%
  • Wait for the Playstation 5

Votes: 354 41.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Shin

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What is the studio that created the Order up to these days?
IIRC it consists of a lot of ex-employees from various WWS but then the order happen and they sort of disappeared.
They should have a new game in the works by now though, no?

Zukkoyaki

Oct 25, 2017
IIRC it consists of a lot of ex-employees from various WWS but then the order happen and they sort of disappeared.
Actually, they released 3 games this year.

Two highly acclaimed VR games for Oculus, Lone Echo and Echo Arena. Arena in particular is supposed to be phenomenal. They also released an arena multiplayer game with Gamestop's publishing label called Deformers that was a colossal flop critically and commercially.

Supposedly they have a multiplatform AAA new IP in development. No info about it or the publisher has leaked.

Iwao

Oct 25, 2017

Ready At Dawn went on to create an indie game called Deformers, and were also working on a VR game for Oculus Rift called Lone Echo.

They have expressed that they would like to work on a sequel to The Order, but needs Sony's approval.

Echo Arena. Arena in particular is supposed to be phenomenal.

Supposedly they have a multiplatform AAA new IP in development. No info about it or the publisher has leaked.

Didn't know about either of these.

Shin

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ready At Dawn

They have expressed that they would like to work on a sequel to The Order, but needs Sony's approval.

That's the one, I forgot their name :P
It could work with everything they learned from The Order and all the criticism from various press.
The setting seemed great to me at least (I haven't tried it yet), if it ain't that it sure as hell is a beautiful looking game.

Off-topic: someone should create a PSX attendance thread, it's in 2 weeks already.

SolidSnakex

Oct 25, 2017
Interesting read there, aside from the VG247 interviewer telling Denny that he's in charge of the now defunct Guerrilla Cambridge, and still seems to think SIE is still SCE.

It's reassuring to know that Worldwide Studios' focus is not monetisation first, but letting studios grow concepts they're passionate about and spend years in pre-production on ideas that aren't sequels. Love the strategy of release a full game, then work on DLC expansions afterwards: like The Last of Us (Left Behind), inFamous Second Son (First Light), Bloodborne (The Old Hunters), Gravity Rush 2 (The Ark of Time), Uncharted 4 (The Lost Legacy) and Horizon (The Frozen Wilds). The best kind.

The backlash against loot boxes really couldn't have come at a better time for Sony, or at least those that enjoy their games. Because as of now Sony really doesn't have any aside from U4. So they could pull them from other games, if they exist, without anyone outside of Sony knowing that they existed in the first place. Everyone in the industry has to be paying attention to what's going on with that right now. It's no longer just gamers that are pissed at loot boxes. They've now got governments around the world looking into them.

Deleted member 1326

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

LiquidSolid

Oct 26, 2017
The backlash against loot boxes really couldn't have come at a better time for Sony, or at least those that enjoy their games. Because as of now Sony really doesn't have any aside from U4. So they could pull them from other games, if they exist, without anyone outside of Sony knowing that they existed in the first place. Everyone in the industry has to be paying attention to what's going on with that right now. It's no longer just gamers that are pissed at loot boxes. They've now got governments around the world looking into them.
But but but Horizon totally has lootboxes! lol

I've never played it (cause I'm not American) but MLB The Show doesn't have microtransactions or loot boxes? I would've thought it'd be perfect for an Ultimate Team style mode but it's a good thing they held off, given how things are going.

Oct 25, 2017
I've never played it (cause I'm not American) but MLB The Show doesn't have microtransactions or loot boxes? I would've thought it'd be perfect for an Ultimate Team style mode but it's a good thing they held off, given how things are going.
I believe it does have microtransactions to help with leveling and things like that. But it seems the base game itself has been unaffected (so far) by the inclusion of them.

FelipeMGM

#Skate4
Oct 25, 2017
Clearing some of my backlog this weekend, so Im finally finishing Knack 2. And man, I dont like this game overall but under all the bad stuff this property has (and its a lot) there is actually some solid action mechanics and design in this sequel. Hope the Knack team at Japan Studio tackles a character action game next (and move away as much as they can from Knack)

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Clearing some of my backlog this weekend, so Im finally finishing Knack 2. And man, I dont like this game overall but under all the bad stuff this property has (and its a lot) there is actually some solid action mechanics and design in this sequel. Hope the Knack team at Japan Studio tackles a character action game next (and move away as much as they can from Knack)
I actually loved the game overall, a solid 9/10 in co-op, and high 7 in solo (unlike the first one which was like a 6 in solo and a 8 in co-op), but even I agree. They need to move away from the character/property altogether and apply what they've learned/did in this game into something completely new. There's actually some real solid gameplay with a decent amount of depth in the game.

Kaiserstarky

Oct 30, 2017

We got some news about Wild with this interview in french with Mitsuo Hirawaka, who is a Producer at Sony Xdev Studio Europe. I translated the transcript of this interview by JVC (http://www.jeuxvideo.com/news/752495/sony-veut-donner-du-temps-a-wild.htm) :

He begins by indicating that, even if the communication around the game is weak, the project moves forward at a good pace :

The development of Wild goes well. We like taking our time on Wild, because the quality of the game is our main priority. We do not want rusher the development nor the team of just Michel to make an exclusivity average Sony.

He takes advantage of it then to return on the genesis of the project, on the way Michel Ancel convinced Sony to finance his new game :

Michel contacted people whom he knew to Sony by mentioning wanting to create a new studio in Montpellier. In the time it was a pure concept. He spoke of controlling animals in an open world. The concept was very good and directly convinced us. Furthermore, it is Michel Ancel, he has a sacred history in the creation of good games. Since this moment we have a very strong relation: they were helped go up the studio, I speak to them every day, I go to Montpellier one time a month …

He cannot stop praising Wild Sheep Studio's team and indicates that, just like the players, Sony also had to learn to be patient with Wild :

This team has a lot of energy, creativity. It is something that I learnt with years, to spot the teams which have creative ambitions. This team is in the right direction, and we want to help them create a good exclusivity PlayStation. Thus we are not going to push aside them if they do not want to make of compromise on a subject. We wait patiently.

In the question to know if the allowed time by Sony for Wild will be unlimited, Mitsuo Hirakawa answers funnily :

Let me call Shuhei Yoshida to ask him how long he stays in them ! Unlimited not, but you know, even the experimented designers make errors. It is necessary to make errors to make the good choices of design for the game. We really think that Wild deserves this extra time which is granted to him, to make it the best possible game.

Then, on 2018 it will be the year of the return of Wild ? Mitsuo, by laughing, gives us one beginning of answer:

Maybe, it would be maybe the convenient year. Who knows ?

Last edited:

janusff

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
Sony is probably just staying quiet about WiLD until there's a substantial thing to say about it, like a release window for example. They probably feel they've revealed it too soon and are hunkering down.

Nightengale

Oct 26, 2017
Malaysia
I am just super glad that WILD is still actively being worked on and didn't go through what some other games like Rime or Wattam had went through where Sony pulled out of first-party funding.

Unlike Dreams, I had real concern that the game's absence meant Sony might have quietly stepped away from it and that Ancel was looking for other publishers.

Papacheeks

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Watertown, NY
I am just super glad that WILD is still actively being worked on and didn't go through what some other games like Rime or Wattam had went through where Sony pulled out of first-party funding.

Unlike Dreams, I had real concern that the game's absence meant Sony might have quietly stepped away from it and that Ancel was looking for other publishers.

My question is how is Ancel developing this game and Beyond Good and Evil 2?

SLB1904

Self-requested ban.
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Now is just a smooth ride
That's a lot good games

Now Just give me bloodborne 2 Sony
And whatever ueda is working on

SageShinigami

Oct 27, 2017
Ready At Dawn went on to create an indie game called Deformers, and were also working on a VR game for Oculus Rift called Lone Echo.

Didn't know about either of these.

Yeah,here ya go. I'm concerned about them doing a larger game when they had so much trouble doing The Order, but y'know...here we are.

Oct 31, 2017
Interesting read there, aside from the VG247 interviewer telling Denny that he's in charge of the now defunct Guerrilla Cambridge, and still seems to think SIE is still SCE.

It's reassuring to know that Worldwide Studios' focus is not monetisation first, but letting studios grow concepts they're passionate about and spend years in pre-production on ideas that aren't sequels. Love the strategy of release a full game, then work on DLC expansions afterwards: like The Last of Us (Left Behind), inFamous Second Son (First Light), Bloodborne (The Old Hunters), Gravity Rush 2 (The Ark of Time), Uncharted 4 (The Lost Legacy) and Horizon (The Frozen Wilds). The best kind.

And Lost Legacy ended up being its own game, not even just an expansion.

Do you have a link to the interview? I admittedly didn't read any interviews they did post-Order. =(

Iwao

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah,here ya go. I'm concerned about them doing a larger game when they had so much trouble doing The Order, but y'know...here we are.

Thanks. For all we know though, their new IP might not be a larger game, just a better one.
Plus, they're able to use their "RAD Engine 4.0" which means that a lot of the tech for a AAA game is already there.

And Lost Legacy ended up being its own game, not even just an expansion.

Do you have a link to the interview? I admittedly didn't read any interviews they did post-Order. =(

It's impressive that they also produced such a great game in around 15 months.

Here's the article.

SageShinigami

Oct 27, 2017
Thanks. For all we know though, their new IP might not be a larger game, just a better one.
Plus, they're able to use their "RAD Engine 4.0" which means that a lot of the tech for a AAA game is already there.

Here's the article.

It says somewhere else that basically it's an open world game too, which implies larger.

SageShinigami

Oct 27, 2017
I still think this a kinda a sequel or at least a spiritual sequel to the Order. When Geoff Keighley said: "Expect the unexpected.", this would be kinda unexpected.

All due respect to Geoff, rein in your expectations for the TGAs. People always see major titles revealed there but usually all the big stuff happens at PSX. And we got the stuff from PSX already.

FelipeMGM

#Skate4
Oct 25, 2017
yeah, Im not expecting anything (major at least) PlayStation at TGA. In fact more excited to see if Nintendo and Microsoft will have a big presence

Last edited:

Deleted member 11262

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

I'll believe it when I see it.

It's been 3 years now...I want a trailer with a release date at PSX!!!!

Oct 31, 2017

Here's the article.

Thanks for the link! Yup, they definitely want to revisit it, and while they didn't outright say it, it's obvious from the terms of their agreement that we know that Sony owns the IP, so they need to give the green light.

Monty Mole

Alt Account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I like the PlayLink initiative but the games are really bad so far, I hope they stick with it though as I still believe there's potential here.

After the disappointment of That's You (free on Plus a couple of months back), I was feeling far more optimistic about Knowledge is Power and decided to purchase it from the PSN store.

Well after a couple of games with my wife this evening, I have to say that this is the literal definition of a polished turd. Very highly polished, complete with artificial film grain, but the game underneath it all is abysmal.

The pacing is awful, with long gaps between questions. Pointless weapon things like gunge and freezing, that are terribly implemented. But worst of all, the questions themselves. One of them was a photo of a tortoise, and it asked us what animal was in the photo. Well fuck me sideways if anyone could get that wrong. And they don't get much better.

Honestly, if you want a quiz game you'd be better getting the Trivial Pursuit game which whilst far from perfect, actually has some half decent questions at least.

Not sure if the development team, or Sony, actually tried playing this in a social environment before publishing. Utter shite.

Fingers crossed we get the overdue return of the far superior BUZZ some point soon, which would be perfectly suited for PlayLink. Do we know what other PlayLink games are in development?

Nov 21, 2017
OP some things to update:

Japan Studio-
History/Internal Games:
-Playroom VR(2016)

Japan Studio Collaborations:
-No Heroes Allowed! VR (Acquire/2017)

PS4 Projects:
-Monkey King: Hero Is Back the Game --> HexaDrive

janusff

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
I always wondered if Mark Cerny ever wanted to make a marble madness spiritual successor. I think it could work. Remake it as a roguelike indie title and add some leaderboards. Just in case, you know, knack 3 ain't happening.

Oct 31, 2017
Such a shit show of thread titles too. Dudes ain't even trying to hide it. But I guess folks are still salty at how successful Horizon was.

"BotW made me realize how Horizon is my GOTY." Would probably get locked so fast.

I have no idea how the moderation works here, but in defense to the person who made the opposite thread, he seems to be a pretty huge fan of Horizon, and the idea of almost limitless traversal in the next Horizon game, in addition to all the great things Horizon does, would make it easily one of my favorite games ever, I'm sure.

I understand that sometimes, people do sneaky fanboy threads, but I looked at his post history, and he had some grievances with Zelda, really seemed to enjoy Horizon and Bloodborne, and I honestly don't think he was trying to sneak a Switch fanboy thread on us.

The Days Gone one, on the other hand...

OrdinaryPrime

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I have no idea how the moderation works here, but in defense to the person who made the opposite thread, he seems to be a pretty huge fan of Horizon, and the idea of almost limitless traversal in the next Horizon game, in addition to all the great things Horizon does, would make it easily one of my favorite games ever, I'm sure.

I understand that sometimes, people do sneaky fanboy threads, but I looked at his post history, and he had some grievances with Zelda, really seemed to enjoy Horizon and Bloodborne, and I honestly don't think he was trying to sneak a Switch fanboy thread on us.

The Days Gone one, on the other hand...

As a huge fan of Horizon, I didn't see anything wrong with that thread. I mean sure it's comparing it to Zelda which blah. But it was all constructive criticism unlike some I've read in the hype threads for The Frozen Wilds.

Both games are amazingly genuine and earnest in ways that so many games are not. I'm glad we got both of them.

LiquidSolid

Oct 26, 2017
I like the PlayLink initiative but the games are really bad so far
Wrong. Hidden Agenda is great.

PS4 Projects:
-Monkey King: Hero Is Back the Game --> HexaDrive
The last I recall, there's been no specific mention of Japan Studio, just "Sony Interactive Entertainment." So I wouldn't list it as a Japan Studio Collaboration at this point.

As a huge fan of Horizon, I didn't see anything wrong with that thread. I mean sure it's comparing it to Zelda which blah. But it was all constructive criticism unlike some I've read in the hype threads for The Frozen Wilds.

Both games are amazingly genuine and earnest in ways that so many games are not. I'm glad we got both of them.
Yeah, that thread was fine. Though it is really annoying to see comments in that thread and the Horizon 2 one that basically boil down to "they should just make it like BotW." I do think Horizon's traversal is fairly clumsy and could do with a lot of improvements but the idea of Guerrilla copying BotW's free-roam design is utterly unappealing to me and I really hope they don't pay much attention to those people. They're two very different games with two very different goals in mind.

And yeah, that Days Gone thread is a real flashback to pre-launch Horizon. The OP didn't even bother to stick around and pretend it wasn't a troll thread. Embarrassing.

MegaBeefBowl

Oct 31, 2017
I'm interested to see the fate of that and Phanta Rhei as well. Looking at RE7 right now and thinking that it looks dated compared to other games this gen.

IIRC RE7 isn't even using Phanta Rhei. I believe it uses it's own engine. All signs point to the Phanta Rhei engine being a complete bust, with most Capcom games going forward using Unreal. It is frankly shocking considering what a powerhouse MT Framework was.

LiquidSolid

Oct 26, 2017
IIRC RE7 isn't even using Phanta Rhei. I believe it uses it's own engine. All signs point to the Phanta Rhei engine being a complete bust, with most Capcom games going forward using Unreal. It is frankly shocking considering what a powerhouse MT Framework was.
RE7 uses Capcom's new multiplatform engine, RE Engine (which, weirdly enough, doesn't stand for Resident Evil). Last we heard, they're meant to have other games in development using it too.

And to answer the person you quoted, RE7 looks "dated" because it's a PSVR game. Hence why even the XB1 runs it at 1080/60.

StuBurns

Self Requested Ban
Banned
Nov 12, 2017
Dated? Physical based rendering with photogrammetry and buttery smooth performance. I thought it was a technical wonder.

Status
Not open for further replies.