• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Should we move to a new OT after E3?

• Yes

Votes: 412 47.9%
  • No

Votes: 95 11.0%
  • Wait for the Playstation 5

Votes: 354 41.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 25, 2017
Sony is publishing a Spider-Man game after Marvel went to them. Because they wanted a single player Spider-Man game, and they like the way Sony deals with their first party games.

That was me expeculating if Disney (which owns Marvel) could do in the future the same for Star Wars.

Sony is publishing because they made a deal with Disney to allow them to have Spiderman in the MCU in exchange to make a Spidey game exclusive to the PS4.

Insomniac, a third party, is making Spiderman. Sony has nothing to do with actually MAKING the game.

Disney would not go to Sony to make a Star Wars game. What would be the point? Sony would obviously want it to be exclusive.

Disney would go to Insomniac, and have them make a Star Wars game, and put it on every console.

noctix

Oct 27, 2017
According to this
the dead stone mason is one of the most epic enemies of the game!!!!
For those who do not know who he is, that's him:

gowstonemason.jpg

Isnt he
already dead? I mean according to the recent interview cory mentioned thor killed him. He is part of scenery now.

StuBurns

Self Requested Ban
Banned
Nov 12, 2017
Disney aren't publishing games.

Who, other than Sony, is going to throw a hundred million at a Spider-Man game with no MTs?

None of them.

Angie

Best Avatar Thread Ever!
Nov 20, 2017
Kingdom of Corona
Sony is publishing because they made a deal with Disney to allow them to have Spiderman in the MCU in exchange to make a Spidey game exclusive to the PS4.

Insomniac, a third party, is making Spiderman. Sony has nothing to do with actually MAKING the game.

Disney would not go to Sony to make a Star Wars game. What would be the point? Sony would obviously want it to be exclusive.

Disney would go to Insomniac, and have them make a Star Wars game, and put it on every console.
I feel this was said so many times already, that is starting to be tiresome.
First Marvel went to Sony. Because after the way Activision was treating Spider-Man, they wanted a publisher to give it full AAA threatment.

Sony is payig for the game, Sony is publishing the game.

Sony ws the one that contacted Insomniac, not Marvel, but Sony.

Don't belive me, you can watch this video.

FelipeMGM

#Skate4
Oct 25, 2017

There is nothing that can confirm such deal happened this way, an explanation like that never came from the parties involved, so there is no reason to amuse that as fact

What has been stated (like Angie said) is that Marvel Games approached SIE who then got Insomniac to develop the title for them. Sony is heavily involved and even lists San Mateo Studio as a collaborator on the project (most likely producers, QA's and design consultant roles)

Here is Scott Rohde talking about it

Last edited:

daniel77733

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
What has been stated (like Angie posted) is that Marvel Games approached SIE who then got Insomniac to develop the title for them. Sony is heavily involved and even lists San Mateo Studio as a collaborator on the project (most likely producer and design consultant roles)

Marvel appears to be going in a "quality" direction meaning that even if it's exclusive, so be it because they're more confident in regards to what the quality of the end product will be as opposed to before, where it was just thrown out there over and over.

Very much interested in Spider Man now where as if it was just another licensed game published by Activision, I wouldn't even give a damn.

Father Kratos

Oct 30, 2017
We get Detroit, God of War, Dreams, Spider-Man for this year with a couple other smaller titles and than 2019 will be Days Gone, Ghosts, Last of Us, Death Stranding.

They have 4 heavy hitters in 2018 and 4 in 2019.
Hope this is the case. Cant wait till 2020 for any of those games. Ghosts has a chance of slipping 2019, but if i remember correctly Shu or someone else had mentioned that the game is quite far in development.

EssCee

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm not shocked at all. Since last year's E3, I have said February 2019 which is exactly when it's coming out. Days Gone was delayed because Sony doesn't want to send a new IP out to die which makes sense. Days Gone needs a nice slow month around it so it can do great numbers.

Thankfully, I don't see co-op or any online multi-player component being added whatsoever nor should it. There's plenty of online co-op and multi-player games out there but less single player story driven games each year so in no way, shape or form do I want to see any of this other stuff added in and for what? Just for the sake of adding it in to copy other games? No thanks.

Also, no thanks to co-op for Horizon either and yeah, I know it was an early idea for the first game but please no. Come on. It's like some want Sony to become like all these other shitty ass publishers. Please, no thanks.

Going by what the developers at 4A Games said about Metro Exodus in regards to an online multi-player, they said that it needs as much development and testing time as the main game itself and for the most part has to be an integral part of the game since early on in development meaning that if Days Gone didn't implement any type of online components from the start, it's simply not going to happen now.

It's not for "just the sake" of adding it in. I feel like they could do an interesting twist with the whole biker gang/crafting system that's involved and obviously how unique the "freakers" are as enemies. Again, the setting makes it sound like it could have a very interesting co-op component.

I could def see them adding some sort of co-op/online component to Horizon 2 - whether you want it or not. Again, a lot of these multiplayer modes don't necessarily take away from the main campaign/single player component. There is no reason to get upset about the possibility of multiplayer being added to these games - at the end of the day Sony is in this to make a profit and these things help add to the longevity of the game. You also have the option to not play the online portions of these games

Oct 31, 2017
I'm playing Horizon again. I played the DLC last year but never played the whole game with the DLC. Now I get to finally do that and plan my skill tree accordingly based on the extra upgrades the DLC throws in.

SolidSnakex

Oct 25, 2017
Hope this is the case. Cant wait till 2020 for any of those games. Ghosts has a chance of slipping 2019, but if i remember correctly Shu or someone else had mentioned that the game is quite far in development.

In terms of 2020, I wonder who'll be in positoin to have new games?

Naughty Dog - If PartII has single player DLC then this seems like the year it'd be released assuming that PII launches next year

Polyphony - It will have been three years since GTS. I really think we'll only get one GT this gen. So if the PS5 is ready in 2020 then it would be a dream scenario for Sony to have a GT ready at or near launch

Horizon - Just like with Polyphony, it will have been three years since Horizon. I expect Horizon 2 to be a next-gen title, so this will likely depend on just how early they can really get to hammering away at PS5-type tech

Media Molecule - This may seem like a long shot given how long Dreams has been in development, but I do think it's possible. That's if MM has a small team working on it as they did with Tearaway. They made Tearaway in three years with just 15 members. So, I think a smaller scale project is possible from them

London Studio - Very likely as Sony seems intent on continuing VR and if the PS5 launches in 2020 they're going to want a showcase title for it

Santa Monica - Unlikely

San Diego - MLB

Bend - Unlikely

Sucker Punch - Unlikely

Japan Studio - They'll have something for sure. Whether it's a big or small project is the only question

XDev - Likely as they seem to always be working on some collaboration

Deleted member 11262

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Would Dying Light 2 be awkward for Days Gone if they launch in a similar time frame?
One thing is for sure: I'd be way more hyped for Dying Light 2.

I'm playing Horizon again. I played the DLC last year but never played the whole game with the DLC. Now I get to finally do that and plan my skill tree accordingly based on the extra upgrades the DLC throws in.
I STILL didn't play Frozen Wilds after like starting it 3 months ago for some 2 hours or so...I even praised how GG improved the animations within dialogues in such a short timeframe. And the snow deformation led me to wander/jump/roll around for a good 30 minutes.

Still haven't played it. I don't get it.:D

Right now I'm playing Ratchet & Clank, which is btw my first experience with the franchise. It's pretty good, I like it.

Oct 31, 2017
One thing is for sure: I'd be way more hyped for Dying Light 2.

I STILL didn't play Frozen Wilds after like starting it 3 months ago for some 2 hours or so...I even praised how GG improved the animations within dialogues in such a short timeframe. And the snow deformation led me to wander/jump/roll around for a good 30 minutes.

Still haven't played it. I don't get it.:D

Right now I'm playing Ratchet & Clank, which is btw my first experience with the franchise. It's pretty good, I like it.

I JUST finished another playthrough of that game this morning. How far are you into the game?

Father Kratos

Oct 30, 2017
Yet to play Horizon. Which is the better option? Play the whole game with DLC or in order of release?

Horizon - Just like with Polyphony, it will have been three years since Horizon. I expect Horizon 2 to be a next-gen title, so this will likely depend on just how early they can really get to hammering away at PS5-type tech

London Studio - Very likely as Sony seems intent on continuing VR and if the PS5 launches in 2020 they're going to want a showcase title for it
So usually how this works? If PS5 is indeed 2020 and with the long game development cycles these days, wouldn't these studios will need more time with PS5 dev kits? or they are already having it?

Deleted member 11262

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I JUST finished another playthrough of that game this morning. How far are you into the game?
Ratchet & Clank?
I'm at the point where the Galactic Rangers attack some kind of Blargian planet I think (with Captain Qwark for the first time). I take my time with the game and try to clear the all the planets before starting a new level.
The point I dislike the most as of now is the Magneboots thing where you get obstacles which you have to hit with your Omniwrench. The angle is so fucking bad that I get hit everytime. :D
I play on Hard too, so it can get a bit tricky at some points.

Oct 31, 2017
Yet to play Horizon. Which is the better option? Play the whole game with DLC or in order of release?

Well, the DLC adds another part to the map, so it works to just buy the Complete Edition if you don't own it yet. You'll come across the DLC during your playthrough, and the added upgrades, features, etc., you'll be able to use during your regular playthrough anyway.

Ratchet & Clank?
I'm at the point where the Galactic Rangers attack some kind of Blargian planet I think (with Captain Qwark for the first time). I take my time with the game and try to clear the all the planets before starting a new level.
The point I dislike the most as of now is the Magneboots thing where you get obstacles which you have to hit with your Omniwrench. The angle is so fucking bad that I get hit everytime. :D
I play on Hard too, so it can get a bit tricky at some points.

Hard can be, well, hard lol, especially the hoverboard races. Just remember to save your boosts for the end because the one negative I do have is the rubber-banding in the races. The second race is actually easier due to two shortcuts you can take.

It sounds like you're actually 75% finished if you are where I think you are. What are the latest weapons you've purchased?

Deleted member 11262

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Well, the DLC adds another part to the map, so it works to just buy the Complete Edition if you don't own it yet. You'll come across the DLC during your playthrough, and the added upgrades, features, etc., you'll be able to use during your regular playthrough anyway.

Hard can be, well, hard lol, especially the hoverboard races. Just remember to save your boosts for the end because the one negative I do have is the rubber-banding in the races. The second race is actually easier due to two shortcuts you can take.

It sounds like you're actually 75% finished if you are where I think you are. What are the latest weapons you've purchased?
That was the Warmonger I think. The last objective I had was to destroy the Hydroharvesters.

-PyramidSong

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Argentina
Naughty Dog still the most prolific studio for Sony. At the end of the generation they will have launched three games. (And im not counting the year they spent working on TLOU Remastered) Thats more than any other first party studio. I know these games are established IP but is still amazing.

Oct 25, 2017
Frozen Wilds was great, one of my favorite DLC's in recent memory.
Looking forward to it. The last great DLC I played was LEft Behind. Granted, I don't buy a lot of DLC but yeah. I'm sure Old Hunters will be up there whenever I get to it.

Naughty Dog still the most prolific studio for Sony. At the end of the generation they will have launched three games. (And im not counting the year they spent working on TLOU Remastered) Thats more than any other first party studio. I know these games are established IP but is still amazing.
The quality of The Lost Legacy in ~1 year is crazy. For me, it is the best UC in the series, so it was very impressive work overall.

Deleted member 11262

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Looking forward to it. The last great DLC I played was LEft Behind. Granted, I don't buy a lot of DLC but yeah. I'm sure Old Hunters will be up there whenever I get to it.
That moment is long overdue...
I just started a new game today after 2 years of abstinence and destroyed that troll on my second attempt with just two well-timed shots, That feeling of the visceral attack is unmatched.

Ah, yes, you don't have too long to go. NG+ is great, though. Glad you've been enjoying it! It's fun to watch the comparison videos, too.
NG+ is great to hear. I really don't think I can upgrade these weapons within my first playthrough. I don't get enough Raritanium, although I use the Pyrocitor quite often.

-PyramidSong

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Argentina

The quality of The Lost Legacy in ~1 year is crazy. For me, it is the best UC in the series, so it was very impressive work overall.
Yep. I'm just playing "The Lost Legacy" right now. I'm on chapter 7 and it's an incredibly beautiful game with nothing to envy Uncharted 4. Im really enjoy it And i know it will become one of my favorite Uncharted games. As you said: crazy for 1 year of development.

SolidSnakex

Oct 25, 2017
So usually how this works? If PS5 is indeed 2020 and with the long game development cycles these days, wouldn't these studios will need more time with PS5 dev kits? or they are already having it?

I'm pretty sure that even before they get dev kits they work on PC's that are targeted toward whatever specs Sony are aiming at. I mean, the first talk we heard of Orbis dev kits going out was in early 2012. There's no way that teams were putting together current-gen games in less than two years. So they had to have been working on some sort of target hardware before getting kits.

Father Kratos

Oct 30, 2017
I'm pretty sure that even before they get dev kits they work on PC's that are targeted toward whatever specs Sony are aiming at. I mean, the first talk we heard of Orbis dev kits going out was in early 2012. There's no way that teams were putting together current-gen games in less than two years. So they had to have been working on some sort of target hardware before getting kits.
Thanks. Wasnt sure how these teams handle cross-gen games.

jayu26

Oct 25, 2017
They are probably the best studio at making reused assets not look like reused assets.

OP
OP
JuanLatino

JuanLatino

Cerny’s little helper
Oct 25, 2017
im really curious what meaning Ghost has for the japanese market. Is it just another AAA Game from Sony in their eyes or does it actually have the potenial to become a systemseller with high sales numbers.

we are talking and worrying so much about Days Gone (which should do perfectly fine), and here i am hoping the best for GOT to do well and prove the doubters wrong about AAA Games and Asian Settings.

Majiebeast

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
im really curious what meaning Ghost has for the japanese market. Is it just another AAA Game from Sony in their eyes or does it actually have the potenial to become a systemseller with high sales numbers.

we are talking and worrying so much about Days Gone (which should do perfectly fine), and here i am hoping the best for GOT to do well and prove the doubters wrong about AAA Games and Asian Settings.

Have there been many games where a western developer takes on an asian setting?

Oct 25, 2017
If you want more about how Spider-Man game came to be, listen to Kotaku podcast of Jason Schrier interviewing Ted.

https://kotaku.com/podcast-how-spider-man-ps4-came-together-1796328173

Long story short: Sony came to us and asked if we wanted to work with Marvel. Sony and Marvel let us decide what character/universe we wanted to make a game based on. We chose Spider-Man.
Holy crap y'all had a choice? Damn that's amazing I didn't know that part

v_iHuGi

Banned
Oct 28, 2017

Wandu

Oct 27, 2017
If you want more about how Spider-Man game came to be, listen to Kotaku podcast of Jason Schrier interviewing Ted.

https://kotaku.com/podcast-how-spider-man-ps4-came-together-1796328173

Long story short: Sony came to us and asked if we wanted to work with Marvel. Sony and Marvel let us decide what character/universe we wanted to make a game based on. We chose Spider-Man.

Thank you for posting this. Clears some things up. Will give this a watch.

Sangetsu-II

Oct 26, 2017

Holy crap y'all had a choice? Damn that's amazing I didn't know that part

Holy Crap, that's thread worthy, does that mean that Sony has dibs on any Marvel property as long as they give Spider-Man movie rights for MCU movies? or if Spider-Man PS4 is successful you guys can make any MCU sequels?!!

Status
Not open for further replies.