• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 31, 2017
History can only tell so much. The expectations are changing, and with streaming consoles becoming the new standard, traditional consoles will become more niche.
😆 PS4 continues to remain niche as it becomes the fastest console to ship 100 million units. Consoles are dying y'all, Sony is doomed next gen thanks to streaming taking over. Same way they were doomed this gen when mobile took over, oh wait.....

JusDoIt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
South Central Los Angeles
How else do you interpret these statements for a console that hasn't been formally introduced?

or

www.wired.com

Exclusive: What to Expect From Sony's Next-Gen PlayStation

Don't expect it anytime in 2019, but the next PlayStation console is well on its way—and it's packing ray-tracing support and a loadtime-killing solid-state hard drive.

That's as much a confirmation one should expect or need at this point.

I'm not disputing that backwards compatibility is confirmed. I'm saying that the entire PS4 library being available day 1 on PS5 is far from being confirmed. For all we know, it could be a long roll out like Xbox has done this generation.

Welfare

Prophet of Truth - You’re my Numberwall
Oct 26, 2017
I actually called that forecast reduction. Woo

Did not expect 100M just yet though.

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not disputing that backwards compatibility is confirmed. I'm saying that the entire PS4 library being available day 1 on PS5 is far from being confirmed. For all we know, it could be a long roll out like Xbox has done this generation.

Not really. It will almost assured system level emulation and not the piecemeal solution Microsoft is using.

What are we thinking for lifetime total? I'll go with 120 million.

130 million. If they hit 15 million over the next year there is no way only sell 5 million more before support is dropped in another 3 or 4 years.

Raonak

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
PS4 is a beast! Its crazy how its pacing ahead of the ps2 right now. Will probably slow down as the ps5 has bc, but crazy impressive. Really makes all those 2013 analysts look quite foolish.

History can only tell so much. The expectations are changing, and with streaming consoles becoming the new standard, traditional consoles will become more niche.
Lol, did you forget sony have the only working cloud gaming service out right now?

Cloud gaming is niche until proven otherwise. Consoles are still the standard. And probably will be for the majority of the next generation.

Handicapped Duck

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
May 20, 2018
Ponds
It should hit 118 million by the time the PS5 launches.

I think it can be a serious contender to topple the PS2 considering the games still to come and price drops yet to come.
I read the post on games that still have yet to come out and yeah I agree, it will likely hit 118 million by next year, potentially revising the LTD forecast to 136 million. With a sales cut to $200 and deals for $180 by it's twilight year (cease production year), it has the potential to grow long after the PS5 is out. Forgot the PS2 was still selling decently even after the PS3 was out.

Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
😆 PS4 continues to remain niche as it becomes the fastest console to ship 100 million units. Consoles are dying y'all, Sony is doomed next gen thanks to streaming taking over. Same way they were doomed this gen when mobile took over, oh wait.....
I never said they were doomed, or were gonna die. I just said it will not be as easy to get to the 100m point with a traditional console next gen because of a dramatic shifts in available technology.

RestEerie

Banned
Aug 20, 2018

please sig the report of streaming consoles will become the new standards.

just 24 months ago, people told me that traditional issued currencies are going the way of DoDo and cryptocurrencies is the way forward. I wonder where are these people...

Puffy

Banned
Dec 15, 2017
cover2.jpg

Knight613

Oct 25, 2017
San Francisco
It's hard to be anything but impressed by the PS4's hardware sales. It also doesn't hurt that Sony made a ton of money from their gaming section this quarter.

bane833

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
Impossible to say without knowing their strategy going forward. They could keep selling PS4s for ages if the price goes low enough.
They could also keep the price at 300 and pretty much kill the PS4 sales the second PS5 comes out.

Shark

Oct 28, 2017
Raleigh, NC
Seems extremely unlikely but if pessimism is your prerogative, go for it I guess. I don't think the rollout of Xbox OG backwards compatibility is comparable to Sony moving from gen 8 to gen 9 and building a machine that has backwards compatibility in mind from the onset.

Consumer expectation of software compatibility has grown immensely since the advent of smartphones. A half-assed backwards compatibility solution would be catastrophic and doesn't seem remotely possible when the most important people in the company are telling everyone how important BC is for the future.

Oct 31, 2017
I never said they were doomed, or were gonna die. I just said it will not be as easy to get to the 100m point with a traditional console next gen because of a dramatic shifts in available technology.
Dramatic shifts in available technology this gen did not slow down the PS4. Consoles will continue to stay relevant and strong as long as there are still places in the world with shitty internet (which is most of the world last time I checked). I think people predicting streaming taking over are 10 years or more too early and they will be proven wrong again with the PS5 come next gen.

OléGunner

Oct 25, 2017
Airborne Aquarium
100 million PS4's sold, wow!
Keep pumping that PSN money into high quality games pls.

Also a bit surprised at the slight uptick in PS4 sales over this quarter last year (+2.7%).
Sales continue to be remarkably strong worldwide.

bane833

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
There are no dramatic shifts in available technology anytime soon. Streaming is available since like a decade ago. It was shit then, it's shit now and it will still be shit in 3 years.

Oct 31, 2017
I'm thinking 140-150 million. PS4 still has a lot of life in it especially if Sony does major permanent price drops for it which they haven't really done this gen. PS4 has yet to hit the magical permanent price of $199 where consoles become an impulse buy and start flying off shelves.

JusDoIt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
South Central Los Angeles
Consumer expectation of software compatibility has grown immensely since the advent of smartphones. A half-assed backwards compatibility solution would be catastrophic and doesn't seem remotely possible when the most important people in the company are telling everyone how important BC is for the future.

I agree it would be catastrophic, but until we get details I'm not going to assume they're necessarily going to meet consumer expectations.

legend166

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Their expenses are nuts. Generated $4 billion but took home $672 million?

Gratz on 100 million so damn fast, they should clear 120+ million ps4 when its all said and done, which is effing crazy!

A massive chunk of that revenue is game sales on PSN, which also accounts for a 70% "expense". So let's say someone buys the latest COD on the Playstation Store - Sony will book $60 in revenue and then a $42 "expense" to give Activision their money. So I imagine that accounts for a large chunk of their expenses.

Anyway, I think a couple years back I predicted 135 million as the final figure for the PS4 so will be interested to see if it can hit it. If they hit their forecast this FY they'll be what, 112 million. Don't know if they can do another 20 million after that.

Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
There are no dramatic shifts in available technology anytime soon. Streaming is available since like a decade ago. It was shit then, it's shit now and it will still be shit in 3 years.
It's become dramatically better, and all it takes is a compelling package in order to upend the whole industry. We'll see if Google and Microsoft will offer that, but I am certain streaming will become the new standard sooner or later. There are too many advantages, and the drawbacks, no game ownerships, are non-issues to most people. That's been eroded for years of digital releases anyway.

Zok310

Oct 25, 2017
Alot of that cash will be passed onto third parties after sony take their cut though
Yea but what is allowing them to keep up to 2018? Last year was arguable their best year for exclusive yet 2019, a drought year, is keeping up with 2018 in terms of noi?

Cant see them spending that much on R&D 3 years in a row also. Just odd to me how high their expenses are.

Oct 25, 2017
It's become dramatically better, and all it takes is a compelling package in order to upend the whole industry. We'll see if Google and Microsoft will offer that, but I am certain streaming will become the new standard sooner or later. There are too many advantages, and the drawbacks, no game ownerships, are non-issues to most people. That's been eroded for years of digital releases anyway.

Maybe no drawbacks for YOU, but there are plenty.

Seeya

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The reduction of the forecast of hardware sales for FY20 is really interesting, because sales were flat YOY in Q1 and the reduction of the forecast is big (-1M). I think it's the prove that The Last of Us Part II has been delayed from 2019 to 2020.

Nope, no way. PlayStation 4 will end between 120 and 130M.

That's certainly fits with the rumoured delay