• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

GamingCJ

Apr 14, 2019
Saw it here.

But on second look that might include PS5? I'm not actually sure.
Good find.
It can't be including PS5 numbers, though. We are looking at 3.5 million PS4s sold before even entering Black Friday. I really doubt Sony is projecting to sell nearly zero PS5s within the first 5 months.

Oct 31, 2017
Holy shit at those insane numbers!

😳 Best quarter on the eve of a new console launch? This is nuts!

NfXScwa.gif

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017
Absolutely insane and well deserved. They're actually expecting a huge profit at the cycle of the generation, that's crazy if you look at all the other cycles (PS1, PS2 and esp PS3).

I don't really get this, though. I thought platform holders (Sony, Nintendo, MS) got 30% from publishers for anything sold through via their platform. Anyone know what's up?

Also, Sony gets $40 from first party games, leaving only $20 for their studios or is that 20 going elsewhere?

30% is for DD ( unless the make a deal .) here Sony make 100% from first party.
$7 to 10 is for disc\physical media they get from 3rd parties.

TheHunter

Bold Bur3n Wrangler
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah 120 million seems like the cap on how many they'll sell through.

PS2 was just insane and I'm not sure we ever see such dominance again.

Deleted member 66837

User requested account closure
Banned
Apr 24, 2020
Actually, they have updated how they report software sales. It now says:
"Software unit sales have been re-classified from previously disclosed figures to include download-only titles, PS VR titles as well as software bundled with PS4 and PS VR (excluding certain regions)."
What counts as download only title? Is that just DLCs?

Welfare

Prophet of Truth - You’re my Numberwall
Oct 26, 2017
Good find.
It can't be including PS5 numbers, though. We are looking at 3.5 million PS4s sold before even entering Black Friday. I really doubt Sony is projecting to sell nearly zero PS5s within the first 5 months.
The Fiscal Year only includes the 1.9M from this quarter (Q1).

And yeah, if it's including PS5, it seems very low, but at the same time I can't see PS4 really selling millions of more units this year when stock seems to be low everywhere.

Sidewinder

Oct 25, 2017
"Forever, forever, ever, forever, ever?"

Damn these numbers are pretty good Sony, time to lower the PS4 price permanently though, you don't want to lose the race against PS2!!1 But the hardware sale forecast implies they won't cut the price any time soon ;(

Zelretch

Oct 25, 2017
Crazy especially 91mil software sale in 1 quarter... Absolutely ridiculous. What is that number dayummmmmm

And this console is 7 years old

I mean, for big softaware numbers the larger the install base (and in turn, the older a console is) the easier to pull this stuff out. It is selling new consoles which is hard

Radec

Oct 26, 2017
Ridiculous numbers. Great work OP.

Can I get an explanation here? I missed this meme it seems

There's this other thread here where some posters believe Nintendo is the market leader even though Sony sold the most hardware and games and have the much better profit this gen just because the Switch is selling truckloads right now.

TheHunter

Bold Bur3n Wrangler
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
"Forever, forever, ever, forever, ever?"

Damn these numbers are pretty good Sony, time to lower the PS4 price permanently though, you don't want to lose the race against PS2!!1 But the hardware sale forecast implies they won't cut the price any time soon ;(
They're gonna lose that race.

PS5 is right around the corner.

gofreak

Oct 26, 2017
They just mentioned in the earnings call that from FY20 they will publish monthly active PSN numbers, numbers for add-on content sales, and sales of first party games.

From the supplemental info for this quarter, though, I don't see any new info 🤷‍♂️

NLCPRESIDENT

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Midwest
The current model PS4 has been sold for $199 multiple times in various sales, even bundled with the new 2018 Spider-Man game so I have no doubt we'll see that price. Guessing the official price drop to $199 will come whenever they announce the PS4 Super Slim. Once the MSRP hits $199 we'll be seeing sale prices at $149 and in a couple years who knows maybe a mythical sale at $99? :)

I think one of the reasons Sony will want to keep the PS4 around a long time is because it will be a low price device to access PS Now on your TV. There'll be many other reasons to keep it around at least 3-4 more years, but eventually I think that'll be one of the major reasons pick one up.
True.

Xando

Oct 28, 2017
It'll be interesting to see if the attach rate lowers after the pandemic or if this was the push the market needed to go even more digital
Probably not by much. You'll have the purists like here on ERA but they shouldn't account for more than 4-5%.

We're probably looking at a situation where digital sales will be >90% by 2023.

Stickman

Oct 27, 2017
Those 44.9 million PS Plus subscriptions are crazy. Dropping paid online would really be the heaviest attack MS could do right now because it would put Sony in such a tough spot.

Cubo

May 14, 2018
So if the software total now includes download only titles (about time!), does the 70% digital ratio include them as well? Or they were always included in the digital ratio? I think it's better that way but it also makes comparing this quarter to others useless software wise.

Thorrgal

Oct 26, 2017
Unreal...

And people wonder why sony is so agressive with the ps5 when it's generating almost 1/3 of the whole companies profits. It's a business essential to their survival and not just another one that is nice to have but not important for the company.

In a surprise plot twist the real Warchest is Sony's Warchest

upinsmoke

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Ridiculously impressive. Not a huge surprise in the sense that we know the impact of Covid and how strong PS software is but it's still crazy to see the number breakdown. I think the DE is a possibility at 399, I think they could take a small loss and recoup on the store.

OP
OP
ArmGunar

ArmGunar

PlayStatistician
Oct 30, 2017
There is no PS4 forecast for this fiscal year
I put 9m as a placeholder, I forgot to remove it sorry

Thank you for all your messages <3

GamingCJ

Apr 14, 2019
The Fiscal Year only includes the 1.9M from this quarter (Q1).

And yeah, if it's including PS5, it seems very low, but at the same time I can't see PS4 really selling millions of more units this year when stock seems to be low everywhere.
I know, but this quarter ends June 30. No question there will be another 1.x million until end of October, especially with Covid not going away soon.

I have no idea how you can possibly argue that the remaining 5.5m consoles could possibly be PS4+PS5 for November till April, when Sony aims to produce 10m PS5s until end of this year. It's just technically impossible.

Edit: OK, problem solved. The 9m were a placeholder.

Zelretch

Oct 25, 2017
Did you look at the comparisons to the other quarters ?

91M is insane.

Im not saying it isnt, was more commenting on your comment about it being a 7 years old console in relation to that number. Plus it is important to note that this has been facilitated by the covid 19 pandemic which is a pretty exceptional situation. Still yeah those are pretty insane results but not that mindblowing with the information we had.

Ivanovic

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Interesting that we didn't get PSNow numbers. It was at 2m subscribers the last time and I'm guessing it hasn't gone up much?

Automagical

Jun 27, 2020
Guys, is it safe to say Sony is market leader? or do I have to wait for the next media crate thread?

Dat 74% digital vs Physical tho. OMG

Vault

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
pretty crazy how much the PS4 has sold at that price point

PS1 and PS2 both dropped to sub £100 to reach their numbers

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
They just mentioned in the earnings call that from FY20 they will publish monthly active PSN numbers, numbers for add-on content sales, and sales of first party games.

From the supplemental info for this quarter, though, I don't see any new info 🤷‍♂️
Nice that they'll be providing first party sales figures.

No PS Now figures? Considering it tripled its subscriber count in the past year and had had a 30% off sale in June I'm curious where it sits now.