• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

TazKa

Oct 27, 2017
What are the reasons we do not see a price cut and now a just 13.5 million sold projection for fy2019?

Can we say the 25% tax from US are one reason and maybe they do not want a low 200€/$ PS4, because the PS5 with approximately 499€/$ would not make a good look in the price delta?

KillerMan91

Oct 25, 2017
Looking at wiki I think it's fair to say the PS4 will pass the GB/GBC.

They have sold 6MM units. They are expecting another 7.5 for Q3 and Q4. A similar drop that Q2 had YoY will give Q3 about 5.8MM and Q4 about 1.9MM, or about 7.7MM for the last 2 Qs which will get them to their goal. Q3 last year had the 199 SM bundle, IIRC even past BF, so unless they have that 150 barebones slim or something similar then I see the drop being sharper. Maybe another 199 bundle, but I'm not sure they have another bundle that will fly off shelves like the SM one.

Pretty sure this is untrue (at least in US). PS4 saw big drop from November to December (going by NPD numbers) because deals were so poor in December.

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
Can a mod please change the thread title? It should be: "Sony refuse to talk about PS Now revenue".

How so? It's included here

1572416717-capture-d-ecran-2019-10-30-a-07-24-39.png

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
What are the reasons we do not see a price cut and now a just 13.5 million sold projection for fy2019?

Can we say the 25% tax from US are one reason and maybe they do not want a low 200€/$ PS4, because the PS5 with approximately 499€/$ would not make a good look in the price delta?

The PS4 will continue to be on the market for another 4 or so years, I'm sure they have a plan for when to perform the price cut, and many have speculated it'll coincide with the launch of a super slim that's built on 7nm. Right now they're still selling plenty of consoles and it seems they're making a profit on each unit so why eat into those profits now, if a revision is around the corner then it's best to just stay the course until then. Also worth keeping in mind that there will be holiday and Black Friday sales coming so the console will effectively be sold for $200 USD and possibly lower depending on the sales.

Peek-a-boo!

Oct 30, 2017
Woodbridge
360 is ahead of ps3 imo

The results here just show ps4 is on the downslope of the gen as expected.

Can a mod please change the thread title? It should be: "Sony refuse to talk about PS Now revenue".

You guys literally cannot say a single positive thing about the PlayStation 4, can you?

It is like an illness to you two.

Lelouch0612

Oct 25, 2017

Tariffs are definitely not factored in.

I think the PS4 overperformed last year for various reasons (Fortnite boom, GOW and Spiderman outperforming...) so the drops look sharper than usual. This year's sales slowed down significantly.

The price cut part is interesting. Sony pointed out that cost were reduced this fiscal year so it would probably be doable. However, they might have the data to suggest than cutting the price wouldnt increase revenue just yet. Regardless, they started aggressive PS4 promotions this October in Europe.

Feb 26, 2018
Tariffs are definitely not factored in.

I think the PS4 overperformed last year for various reasons (Fortnite boom, GOW and Spiderman outperforming...) so the drops look sharper than usual. This year's sales slowed down significantly.

The price cut part is interesting. Sony pointed out that cost were reduced this fiscal year so it would probably be doable. However, they might have the data to suggest than cutting the price wouldnt increase revenue just yet. Regardless, they started aggressive PS4 promotions this October in Europe.
What kind of aggressive promotions?

GamingCJ

Apr 14, 2019
Their PS Now promotions only started this month, that's Q3 and not Q2.
Sony is the only company that has given us a number of how many subscribers their service has, and they will probably give us an update next year.

squeakywheel

Oct 29, 2017
Sony did a lot of things right this gen. I applaud them. I just wish they didn't close beloved studios and they should stop killing online servers too early. Otherwise, kudos. I really like how hard they're pushing PSVR.

Jiggy

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
wherever
Yes, but lumped together with other positions.

Another suggestion would be to highlight the decline in hardware and physical sales in the thread title, instead of focussing on the positives.
The same can be said regarding Xbox about the user that made the thread about Microsoft's Q1 numbers.

Are you okay?

shark97

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
"imo" doesn't mean shit unfortunately.

I'm not going to get into as I already knew it was going to light up my alerts but there's plenty of evidence. Believe what you like, but nobody can say in good faith either winning isn't plausible. Also pretty irrelevant as they'll be within ~5% of each other.

Welfare

Prophet of Truth - You’re my Numberwall
Oct 26, 2017
What are you basing your idea that the 360 ultimately outsold the PS3 on? You're going to need to make a case.

I think they are surely close, but on the one hand we have hard numbers and on the other...
Hard number*

You're arguing that PS3 only sold more because its 2017 LTD is higher than the 360's 2014 LTD.

Peek-a-boo!

Oct 30, 2017
Woodbridge
The same can be said about the user that made the thread about Microsoft's Q1 numbers.

[It is clear to me that] these Sony quarterly reports seems to torment you every night, so in order to finally get some sleep today you are required to leave a negative post in this thread. Your frustration would probably eat yourself from the inside otherwise.

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not going to get into as I already knew it was going to light up my alerts but there's plenty of evidence. Believe what you like, but nobody can say in good faith either winning isn't plausible. Also pretty irrelevant as they'll be within ~5% of each other.

The PS3 outsold the 360.

We know this based on actual sales figures.

The end.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
I had assumed Wii was the best selling console of all time.

I knew PS2 smoked it, but I was surprised PS1 was over it... by less than a million.

We'll probably never see something like the PS2 again in our lifetimes for home consoles. For many it was their first DVD player.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
I'm praying someone writes a book about this generation. To go from last with PS3 to the 2nd highest selling console of all time with PS4? Ridiculous.
PS3 was 2nd last gen (just). PS4 isn't the 2nd highest selling console of all time it's the 2nd highest selling PlayStation of all time. Edit: I was including handhelds here

Nintendo went from last place (GameCube) to 1st place (Wii) in a generation. The gap between those two is a much greater contrast than PS3 to PS4. PS3 still sold 86m consoles after all.

Last edited:

Golvellius

Banned
Dec 3, 2017
User Banned (2 Weeks): Platform Warring and Trolling Over Multiple Posts; Prior Bans for Platform Warring

sleepr

Banned for misusing pronouns feature
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Yes, but lumped together with other positions.

Another suggestion would be to highlight the decline in hardware and physical game sales in the thread title, instead of focussing on the positives.
The same can be said regarding Xbox about the user that made the thread about Microsoft's Q1 numbers.
It seems that I was able to give you a pretty accurate impression of what the reading experience in a typical Xbox thread is like.

Spoken like a true uberfan! Pure gold.

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
I knew PS2 smoked it, but I was surprised PS1 was over it... by less than a million.

We'll probably never see something like the PS2 again in our lifetimes for home consoles. For many it was their first DVD player.

My friend, let me tell you about #Team200Million where we believe the PS5 is going to be the first console to break the 200 million mark 😃

As for the PS4, considering it'll be on the market for another 4 years and will see more price cuts out should easily surpass the 130 million mark and could potentially challenge the PS2 depending on what sort of software support it gets after the PS5 launches.

shark97

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
The PS3 outsold the 360.

We know this based on actual sales figures.

The end.

Link? Lol. Come on man.

Xbox didn't update it's numbers after 84m for starters (which inarguably they reached before PS3, as Sony's announcement of 84m was months later). It's all guessing. Most people point to an IDC report but hmm, in a recent thread where IDC had the Xbox One at 48m worldwide, they were deemed not credible. So, they are not credible.

Actually I recall MS did provide more 360 numbers years later for one solitary quarter, and it just bolstered the case, while not being proof. But I'm not going to look it up, and last time I tried I couldn't find it...

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
My friend, let me tell you about #Team200Million where we believe the PS5 is going to be the first console to break the 200 million mark 😃

As for the PS4, considering it'll be on the market for another 4 years and will see more price cuts out should easily surpass the 130 million mark and could potentially challenge the PS2 depending on what sort of software support it gets after the PS5 launches.

PS5 being backwards compatible will hurt the PS4's sales post-PS5 imo. 130 million is possible but I don't think it will go much beyond that. PS2 also sold pretty strong in Japan which gave it a boost as well.