• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Loudninja

Oct 27, 2017
Thanks goes to backbreaker

Sony is increasing the production of its motion-sensitive PlayStation Move controllers ahead of an anticipated deluge of new titles.

Speaking at Develop:VR in London today, Stuart Whyte - Sony London Studio's director of VR product development - said Sony is tracking the number of players who own Move controllers, and hopes to increase this as the PSVR userbase grows.

"Currently, two thirds of the games released so far on PlayStation VR are Move-compatible or require Move," Whyte told attendees. "As we see more Oculus and Vive titles come to PSVR, we're expecting this number to increase. Sony is increasing the Move production capacity to [cater] to this."

"The ratio of PS4 Pro attachment for PSVR is high," he said. "One in five PS4s sold now are Pros, but that ratio [for PSVR] on PlayStation Pro is higher again.

"It's definitely worth supporting the extra power available on Pro when you're developing for PSVR, but it's still also super important to run on a base PS4."

He continued: "We're currently sitting at five games sold per headset, so we're seeing a really strong attach rate from our first year. Many of those games to date are smaller experiences, they're experiences that we as developers [use to] get to know the platform built around one or two mechanics.

"We feel that for VR to get to the next level, we need bigger, built from the ground up VR AAA experiences."

Sony London's answer to this is Blood & Truth, a new VR shooter that is inspired by the London Heist section of last year's launch title PlayStation VR Worlds. The game will be optimised for PlayStation Move, although Whyte said the team hopes to include standard controls as well.
http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2017-11-09-sony-ramping-up-move-production-for-psvr-push

Tagyhag

Oct 27, 2017
I guess that makes sense, if you have a Pro you're probably more serious about VR so you get more games. I hope that means we get more Pro bundles or Pro optimizations.

I also hope that for the next level they actually ditch the moves, one of the biggest limiting factors of VR.

Oct 25, 2017
They gotta reduce that PSVR price though. Like, I get it. It is the price that makes sense for them. But man, it is still such a high barrier of entry for me, especially since move controllers are pretty essential as well.

Also, the wires look like a disaster. Everything integrated into the PS5 would be ideal.

But yeah, I'll probably jump in on PSVR 2.0 and with the PS5.

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't even want to play Elder Scrolls VI or Fallout 5 in anything other than VR, i'll gladly wait a year or more to experience it that way.

Hopefully the first gen PSVR headset's will work with PS5.

Neuromancer

Oct 27, 2017
Baltimore
Great news. Loving my PS4 Pro, PSVR and my Moves. The next generation of VR is going to be even better and lighter!

They gotta reduce that PSVR price though. Like, I get it. It is the price that makes sense for them. But man, it is still such a high barrier of entry for me, especially since move controllers are pretty essential as well.

Also, the wires look like a disaster. Everything integrated into the PS5 would be ideal.

But yeah, I'll probably jump in on PSVR 2.0 and with the PS5.
After the initial setup the wires really aren't that bad. There's only one wire that goes from the breakout box to the headset.

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
Don't forget the Aim controller, please! I dont want it to end up a Sharpshooter 2.0

Garrison

Oct 27, 2017
Glad to read that is doing great. I've yet to experience using psvr but I've used other headsets thou. Funny how those nice controllers found a new life with vr. Still have a couple of those around.

GamerForever

Oct 27, 2017
Fuck my damn oversensetive motion sickness, VR is up my ally but get sick just putting on those damn things.

Rembrandt

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I feel like I haven't even seen advertisements for it. I would think Sony would be pushing the hell out it for the holiday season; maybe with the fallout VR bundle.

It's a system seller, imo, even with VR becoming more consumer friendly in terms of price and set up on PC.

Alienous

Oct 25, 2017
How about some VR controllers specifically designed for VR? The Move is inadequate in a few ways.

OrdinaryPrime

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
How about some VR controllers specifically designed for VR? The Move is inadequate in a few ways.

I think the next step for Sony is room scale stuff. It just can't compete with some of the experiences on the Vive at the moment :/. I think the Moves are passable but they really need to release a much more precise headset with the PS5.

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017
Congrats I guess. Being the cheapest VR solution, I guess it makes sense it's doing well.

Oct 27, 2017
Fuck my damn oversensetive motion sickness, VR is up my ally but get sick just putting on those damn things.

Is there anything you can take for it? Now I am not advocating any sort of pharmaceuticals, but have you tried any over the counter items for 'vertigo' or maybe even Dramamine used for sea/motion sickness?

Some natural remedies like B6, Ginger, and the like...
https://www.rd.com/health/conditions/natural-remedies-motion-sickness/

Chaos2Frozen

Nov 3, 2017
I would love if VR becomes the home of more mecha games and space/flight combat sims (like the up coming Ace Combat game).

Sidewinder

Oct 25, 2017
Can somebody tell me why the hell Sony didn't make an analogue stick attachment for the moves? It seems like such a no-brainer.

I'm pretty certain they won't make any new controllers, cameras/sensors or whatever this gen and this would be an easy and cheap fix for games like Skyrim, Doom etc.

NewDust

Visited by Knack
Oct 25, 2017
5 games attach rate seems low. I realize it's actually good, but I think they left out games that have VR compatibility and also run in non-VR. Equally they probably didn't include the PS+ VR games.

Oct 25, 2017
Texas
I plan to dust off my headset and catch up during thanksgiving week. It amazes me how much complaining about VR I hear on most of my podcasts when there is a respectable library now.

henhowc

Oct 26, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Can somebody tell me why the hell Sony didn't make an analogue stick attachment for the moves? It seems like such a no-brainer.

I'm pretty certain they won't make any new controllers, cameras/sensors or whatever this gen and this would be an easy and cheap fix for games like Skyrim, Doom etc.

had to kill all that existing move stock leftover from ps3. although they could have updated it with the updated move...but ended up just changing the charging port to micro-usb heh

LaneDS

Oct 25, 2017
Would rather see them put out an updated Move controller, since that to me is the biggest drawback to PSVR (they're good, not great), but I'm glad they're finding success with it regardless.

No Depth

Oct 27, 2017
Just sold mine last month. I too really enjoyed the experience at times, but the nausea issues were constant for me and especially the terrible tracking problems basically ensured the unit collected dust for months before I finally chucked it on eBay.

zyvorg

Oct 25, 2017
Love the PSVR but yeah, let us use the PS3 Navigator controller or make a move with a stick please, really gonna miss that in Skyrim VR.

Oct 25, 2017
Hard pass. This is cool and everything but the fact that it still looks the way it looks just turns me off and it's the reason why I just can't get behind the PSVR. Oculus, Vive, they both have really cool motion controllers that aren't child looking, why can't sony update the way theirs look? Its so...big and in the way.

Bundy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This is some good news. VR for the win. More games like Farpoint and The Inpatient please.

MrChocolate

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Hard pass. This is cool and everything but the fact that it still looks the way it looks just turns me off and it's the reason why I just can't get behind the PSVR. Oculus, Vive, they both have really cool motion controllers that aren't child looking, why can't sony update the way theirs look? Its so...big and in the way.

Could you imagine if only had something that could hide the move controllers, you know, something like a headset?

Shin

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Good on them and PSVR adopters, hopefully it keeps growing and VR is well established by the time PS5 comes out.

Oct 27, 2017
Could you imagine if only had something that could hide the move controllers, you know, something like a headset?

giphy.gif

Sidewinder

Oct 25, 2017
had to kill all that existing move stock leftover from ps3. although they could have updated it with the updated move...but ended up just changing the charging port to micro-usb heh

Well with an attachment you could sell something on top of all that old PS3 move stock win/win and then later make a move 1.2 with an integrated stick, everybody is happy, cheap fucks like me with the cheaper attachment and people who wouldn't mind paying again for a new Move controller.

Bundy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
"Meh! Doesn't look good. Looks like a child toy!!"

Somebody tells her that he can't see the Move controllers while playing:
Clever but the object you hold in your hand is not comfortable to me compared to the intuitive design of the other two that are.
"Oh...... ummm..... and it's... umm...not..... comfortable too!!"

Last edited:

Using multiple alt accounts
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Portsmouth
They need to make new Moves, the current ones are so far behind Oculus/Vive's controllers.

nampad

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

I would argue that the Move looks like an "adult toy" ;)