• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

T0kenAussie

Jan 15, 2020
Source article [it's actually pretty darn good] : https://tribune.com.pk/story/2357115/sony-readies-for-metaverse-revolution-with-cross-platform-push

TOKYO:
Japanese conglomerate Sony Group Corp said it is well-positioned to play a leading role in the metaverse, or immersive virtual worlds, which commentators speculate will massively disrupt industries and establish new powerhouses.

The metaverse is a vague term encapsulating the idea that consumers will spend more time in online simulated environments. While the concept is evolving, it has become a buzzword in briefings and a driver of industry dealmaking.

"The metaverse is at the same time a social space and live network space where games, music, movies and anime intersect," Chief Executive Kenichiro Yoshida said at a strategy briefing on Wednesday, pointing to the use of free-to-play battle royale title Fortnite from Epic Games as an online social space.

Sony's game, music and movie units contributed two-thirds of operating income in the year ended March, underscoring the group's transformation from consumer electronics maker into a metaverse-ready entertainment juggernaut under Yoshida and predecessor Kazuo Hirai.

The firm is a gaming gatekeeper with its PlayStation 5 console, however observers point to the risk presented by the growth of cross-platform, cloud-based titles and their potential to reduce the influence of proprietary platforms.

Sony has been adjusting its approach, enabling cross-play in Fortnite in 2018. This week, Epic said in-game "V-Bucks" currency purchased on PlayStation would be usable on other platforms.

"PlayStation has played a huge role in the social gaming revolution that's nurturing the growth of the metaverse as a new entertainment medium," Epic's CEO Tim Sweeney said on Twitter.

Sony has also taken steps to expand beyond its focus on single-player titles such as "Spider-Man: Miles Morales", with a deal announced in January to buy Bungie, the developer of online multi-player shooter "Destiny".

"We believe it will be a catalyst to enhance our live service game capabilities... (It) represents a major step forward in becoming multi-platform," Yoshida said.

Sony already licences its content to other platforms, profiting from the value to streamers of content such as popular US sitcom "Seinfeld". Though the firm owns the Crunchyroll anime streaming service, it has not pushed as aggressively into operating its own video platforms as rivals such as Walt Disney Co with its Disney+ service.

Interesting that the only "ready player one" metaverse is the abomination on metas headsets. MS and Sony seem to both be more invested in accounts living across everything which I think is a more frictionless way to start

Metaverse me if old

Toriko

Dec 29, 2017
Yeah Sony is going to go multi platform mostly going forward. Makes sense given how everything is heading.

Kolx

Oct 25, 2017
They literally had one more than a decade ago. Just bring back PS home. Preferably on PSVR2.

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
I feel a big part of Sony's push with Fortnite is due to this.

You can kinda tell Epic is gearing up to make Fortnite much more than just the Battle Royale mode with upcoming tools and purchases they've made.

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017
Fine by me! Nice that I get to play with friends no matter the platform

Smitch

Unshakable Resolve
Apr 21, 2022
WIll they try to add event and skin from movie and music like fornite to destiny ? (i don't know if it's already the case never played the game)

Gavalanche

Prophet of Regret
Oct 21, 2021
They should make Last of Us multiplayer Ftp and also release it on xbox. I know they never would, but imagine if they did. Release it on absolutely everything, go nuts.

Rowsdower

Prophet of Truth - The Wise Ones
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Canada
A new PS Home on PSVR2/PS5, cross-platform with PC, Xbox, Switch, Mobile? Look out Facebook. That could actually take off.

I could see more of their multiplayer/GAAS stuff going crossplatform as well. Do what Fortnite did, have it so any microtransactions/currency goes to Sony, and bam. Lots of money.

Jul 2, 2021

Uzupedro

Banned
May 16, 2020
Rio de Janeiro

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017
Sony's gonna buy Roblox, aren't they?
891779705538220033.webp

JaseC64

Enlightened
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Strong Island NY
I feel a big part of Sony's push with Fortnite is due to this.

You can kinda tell Epic is gearing up to make Fortnite much more than just the Battle Royale mode with upcoming tools and purchases they've made.
I'll be honest and say I would totally watch a Fortnite theme movie or TV series.

They have so much "lore" now and characters to pull in for cameos that would make people tune in.

Their cross overs make it the perfect type of media to have a Player One style movie or show.

BTW Epic would make a killing with a Playstation Home like service. I know they have the hangouts area but it's a little meh to be honest and it's not the main part of the game. I still think someone like Sony could leverage that space if they wanted to.

gothmog

Oct 28, 2017
NY
No lol
venturebeat.com

Roblox goes public at $41.9 billion valuation in direct listing

We're thrilled to announce the return of GamesBeat Summit Next, hosted in San Francisco this October, where we will explore the theme of "Playing the Edge." Apply to speak here and learn more about sponsorship opportunities here. Roblox, the platform for Lego-like user-generated games, went...
That's a year ago and they're now worth about half that. I mean it's still 20 billion, but it could go lower given that they seem to have both a cost of operations and sales problem. I could definitely see someone taking a run at buying them if they go lower.

convo

Oct 25, 2017
Making PSVR2 compatible to PC would do more for metaverse than whatever Facebook is doing. Epic and UE will undoubtedly play a huge part in VR too and Sony seem very invested in them at least.

Det

Jul 30, 2020
That's a year ago and they're now worth about half that. I mean it's still 20 billion, but it could go lower given that they seem to have both a cost of operations and sales problem. I could definitely see someone taking a run at buying them if they go lower.

They've been investing in Epic for that reason (well, one of). Fortnite is a better base platform that "synergizes" across their other divisions i.e., music concerts in game etc.

gothmog

Oct 28, 2017
NY
They've been investing in Epic for that reason (well, one of). Fortnite is a better base platform that "synergizes" across their other divisions i.e., music concerts in game etc.
Oh definitely. Epic is the right place to be, especially if you end up being complimentary which they seem to be. Sony has the game platform and media know how and Epic has the engine and the content creation pipeline among other things. The sheer volume and speed of updates to Fortnite is mind boggling.

Roblox I guess would be Sony's Minecraft if they could acquire it. At worst they leave it alone and at best they help it grow into the Metaverse.

Det

Jul 30, 2020
Oh definitely. Epic is the right place to be, especially if you end up being complimentary which they seem to be. Sony has the game platform and media know how and Epic has the engine and the content creation pipeline among other things. The sheer volume and speed of updates to Fortnite is mind boggling.

Roblox I guess would be Sony's Minecraft if they could acquire it. At worst they leave it alone and at best they help it grow into the Metaverse.

It's a high price for a single IP with questionable practices associated with it. At best, they could strategically invest in it as a platform like they have with Epic.

Real

Oct 28, 2017

RisingStar

Banned
Oct 8, 2019
Including PC is just best practice moving forward for the highest ROI. Their direction is something I'm not convinced by long term when it comes to consoles however. Their ecosystem isn't as flexible as Xbox's on a multiplatform basis.

Nameless

Oct 25, 2017
Even more of a reason for PSVR 2.0 to be compatible with PC, and for Sony to do the work on a Wireless version.

Smitch

Unshakable Resolve
Apr 21, 2022

gofreak

Oct 26, 2017
'Metaverse' is a very wooly term, but per what Yoshida said, I don't think Sony views 'the metaverse' as a singular piece of software or platform - e.g. like a PS Home. They view any 'live networked space' where people share and enjoy entertainment together as falling under that term. Thus any multitude of efforts could constitute Sony's interest here, rather than one attempt to be some kind of singular metaverse space. He name-checked their intention to launch ten live games by 2026 under that banner... of course one of them could be a 'PSHome' type service...

There were interesting comments in the Q+A in response to a question about the future of the gaming business, uncertainty and risks around the role of platform holders as M&A and network distribution changes potentially disrupt the business. Yoshida talked about how media changes from landscapes where media chooses content, to one where content and creators choose media - basically alluding to the shift in power from platform holders to creators. TLDR, Sony is doubling down on content and content creators as it believes that will be key to viable business no matter how distribution may change. Totoki explicitly said that their M&A activity was weighted heavily toward IP over DTC (platform). Yoshida talked about taking the viewpoint of reaching communities of interest rather than 'one platform'. I thought it was pretty interesting as they were the clearest comments yet, I think, that Sony is prepping the business for possible futures where the platform-holder role is either under pressure or significantly less lucrative that it has been to date.

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
They literally had one more than a decade ago. Just bring back PS home. Preferably on PSVR2.
This.

Wild part is, I had a Second Life account...and spent way more time in PS Home.

PS Home is also one of the first things my kids asked me about when the PS4 launched.

I'm sure Sony knows what they had..it's just a matter of time.

Kouriozan

Oct 25, 2017
If a Metaverse want to be succesful, it gotta be highly customizable ala VRChat, and considering they'd want to get money out of it, I doubt this would happen.

Bengraven

Oct 26, 2017
Florida
I'll be honest and say I would totally watch a Fortnite theme movie or TV series.

BTW Epic would make a killing with a Playstation Home like service. I know they have the hangouts area but it's a little meh to be honest and it's not the main part of the game. I still think someone like Sony could leverage that space if they wanted to.

Maybe I'm outside their demographic but I'm 43 and I sign all the dotted lines here. I adore their little goofy worlds and characters.

And I think a larger map version of Party Royale but with more incentives to not linger in the main hub would be great. Maybe open world pvp style challenges or the ability to affect the world around you more outside of paint. Or trolling people by throwing those bounce pads under them.

Calvin

Oct 26, 2017
I mean, if they aren't specifically talking about day and date release with PC, then they are 1. completely missing where the gaming space has been headed for years, 2. strictly referring to their generations old VR platform, so I just find the whole thing bizarre.