• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Will the game show in August after being a bust in June?

• Yes

Votes: 653 36.3%
  • No

Votes: 1,147 63.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Firmus_Anguis

Oct 30, 2017
Hey Dusk Golem!

Maybe you've already answered this, if so, I'm sorry but -
Any chance SH is cross-gen? I obviously want them to take advantage of the PS5, but that would make an announcement at a 40-minute SoP focused on PS4 games more feasible. I'm not getting my hopes up though, just curious about the possibility.

Jroc

Banned
Jun 9, 2018
Hey Dusk Golem!

Maybe you've already answered this, if so, I'm sorry but -
Any chance SH is cross-gen? I obviously want them to take advantage of the PS5, but that would make an announcement at a 40-minute SoP focused on PS4 games more feasible. I'm not getting my hopes up though, just curious about the possibility.

That would certainly be an interesting twist.

Especially if it was more of an AA game than a AAA game.

TheJollyCorner

The Fallen
Nov 7, 2017
I feel like a major exclusive game like a Japan Studio SH game starting production in early 2019 would have gone right to PS5 production.

Seems like it might be a real showcase for the Tempest audio + PS5's SSD making any crazy transitions (*cough* the otherworld) seamless.

Oct 29, 2017
What if it was originally designed as a PS4 game then became cross gen with PS5?

Edit: With Phil Spencer alluding to another Xbox showcase in August, I really can't see Sony Not responding with a games showcase of their own, along with a price announcement, because I'm sure they want to announce the price before it gets leaked.

Edit: Hmm...

Last edited:

addik

Oct 28, 2017
I generally try not to pester leakers for more info so sorry if I'm overstepping: Are you in any position to confirm with 100% certainty the project is indeed a AAA game as was suggested by the other leakers and that it hasn't been cancelled between 2018 and now?

I was thinking maybe this is not as big of a project as we may believe.

Anyways, thanks for keeping the dream alive!

No one actually specifically said it was going to be an "AAA project," (although I ask, what would qualify as an AAA budget?) but the reddit leaker said that "Silent Hill is going to come back a brand as strong as Resident Evil" or something to that effect and later clarified that people see it inside Sony as some sort of Resident Evil killer. I don't think it necessarily means an AAA budget. I don't think Silent Hill was expensive to produce at all (with what Team Silent having only... 50 developers?), but if the rumor is right, the project is going to be at least well-funded. No more cheap D-tier developer working on it.

And if the rumor that Sony is working it is true, then they are most likely splitting costs with Konami, so that affords them a higher ceiling when it comes to the project's budget.

Edit: With Phil Spencer alluding to another Xbox showcase in August, I really can't see Sony Not responding with a games showcase of their own, along with a price announcement, because I'm sure they want to announce the price before it gets leaked.

Edit: Hmm...

I honestly wouldn't be surprised to see another Sony event. We still don't have concrete launch info, and insiders have been saying that Sony has pocketed some big exclusivity deals that they are just dying to announce. So at the very least, we'll probably have an event on the former, and include some of these supposedly exclusive gets.

Deleted member 15395

Unshakable Resolve
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
No one actually specifically said it was going to be an "AAA project," (although I ask, what would qualify as an AAA budget?) but the reddit leaker said that "Silent Hill is going to come back a brand as strong as Resident Evil" or something to that effect and later clarified that people see it inside Sony as some sort of Resident Evil killer. I don't think it necessarily means an AAA budget. I don't think Silent Hill was expensive to produce at all (with what Team Silent having only... 50 developers?), but if the rumor is right, the project is going to be at least well-funded. No more cheap D-tier developer working on it.

I was coming from what KatharsisT mentioned. I don't recall if she specifically said it was AAA but I do recall the rumor mentioned it was going to be developed by Japan Studio so that would give it a reasonable budget.

addik

Oct 28, 2017
I was coming from what KatharsisT mentioned. I don't recall if she specifically said it was AAA but I do recall the rumor mentioned it was going to be developed by Japan Studio so that would give it a reasonable budget.

Oh yeah, I do remember KatharsisT (or was it Dusk Golem?) mentioning that part of the reason why Sony went with the Silent Hill IP is because Sony could only give so much funding to Team Siren for a new IP, a little higher for a new Siren game, but a Silent Hill project would give them a reasonable budget since Silent Hill, at the least, is an established franchise and because they would most likely be splitting costs with Konami.

Like I said, if the rumors are true, I don't personally believe it will have an "AAA budget," but I do believe it's being given a considerably high budget.

Oct 29, 2017
For what it's worth, there should be an announcement for the PS5 later this month. Whether this entails some kind of game showcase in addition to price, who knows. Though if it's in relation to price, etc., Sony said they would let us know in advance before revealing that. So maybe the announcement would point to a bigger event where the price is revealed. Its probably wishful thinking. Personally, I think Sony showed all of the games They wanted to show for this year. Time will tell.

www.bloomberg.com

Sony Gives Conservative Forecast After Profit Tops Estimates

Sony Corp. reported profit that outpaced estimates on strong demand for its games products, but offered a measured forecast for the fiscal year due to uncertainty from the coronavirus pandemic.

Last edited:

Bundy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Oh yeah, I do remember KatharsisT (or was it Dusk Golem?) mentioning that part of the reason why Sony went with the Silent Hill IP is because Sony could only give so much funding to Team Siren for a new IP, a little higher for a new Siren game, but a Silent Hill project would give them a reasonable budget since Silent Hill, at the least, is an established franchise and because they would most likely be splitting costs with Konami.

Like I said, if the rumors are true, I don't personally believe it will have an "AAA budget," but I do believe it's being given a considerably high budget.
That's total nonsense. No matter who said it.

Nardy_19

Alt-account
Banned
Sep 14, 2019
So Toyama and Official Silent Hill both follow Aesthetic Gamer on Twitter? Damn.

It was stated from the beginning that the game:
  1. Began development around the start of 2019.
  2. Will be released in 2021.
  3. Will be announced between May and October, and before the PS5 launch at the absolute latest.
Not being announced on the soonest possible date doesn't make it fake.

I didn't say not being announced would mean it's fake.......i said it would affect his reputation.

Every single time this rumor comes up it's "not a guarantee". That's the problem. Constantly parroting the same rumor, going "maybe not this month, not my fault if it isn't" is just exhausting.

If you don't have anything new to say, don't re-light the rumor flame. Just let it die down and if the game gets announced, everyone gets to be happy, whereas if it doesn't, people aren't constantly let down by the goalposts conveniently moving.

EXACTLY. Just let this rest and stop with the pops up every few months which are essentially nothing but rumors that end up being "pushed back".[/QUOTE]

Nardy_19

Alt-account
Banned
Sep 14, 2019
I'm just waking up and catching up.

Silent Hill in development isn't fake, I've said this multiple times but I 100% can say that a Silent Hill game is in development from a Japanese studio that started dev in late 2018/the start of 2019 (and this came from Konami trying to gather/fund pitches from various different studios in the middle of 2018, looking to fund two Silent Hill games at the time). That I know absolutely with no doubt, so if we're talking about what's 100% true and what to trust as far as I know then you can believe that. I've said this multiple times and I know some don't like me doing that, but it's what I can guarantee is true. And I know it's frustrating, I can't get into why in detail publicly, but I can ensure these two tidbits are 100% true.

The Sony stuff even at this point I still believe, but as I've said I never was able to get a 100% confirm on it. I will say this, the two people I've talked to, Karthasis and the one Reddit user, did give me extremely detailed information on the who, what, where, why of how they came to know this information. I don't doubt for a second both truly believe in what they've heard and shared, and I can see why though I need a bit more before I can really feel truly confident behind it.

There's another point, but I'll answer it with this person's question.

I don't know Naftra's sources, but I can take a guess from having some monitor on behind-the-scenes sources.

Silent Hill is quite weird in the scene. If I didn't have four personal friends who I trust and have zero reason to doubt (and who have never lied about these things before and have zero reason to here), it'd be really weird to follow. So separate of Silent Hill, I know Sony has been trying really hard to keep a tight lid on certain things, I have a friend who's a translator who was going to sign contracts with a third party studio to translate some of their game stuff, but they had to be post-poned indefinitely due to the studio having a game for PS5 that's not revealed yet. Sony is being really tight shipped on some of this stuff, of including outside people being involved who might potentially leak things, I know that generally.

Silent Hill behind the scenes have had some reputable sources (not my sources either, others) who have talked and confirmed that Silent Hill stuff is true and does exist, but outside of that the details on it are like a desert. There's almost nothing, which makes it almost like a phantom, apparently it exists but where the fuck is it? And there's some parts of it which muddy the waters a bit more, like what parts are true and which parts are not?

It gets to a case where maybe some or maybe all of it is true, or some specific points weren't true, but do those deconfirm the other points or was it miscommunication, etc? I will say this, if the person I DM'd on Reddit was telling the truth (and again, to their credit they gave me a very detailed explanation of who they were, how they know, their history with this particular rumor, etc), they mentioned Silent Hill and one other project are two Sony in particular are being very, very secretive on, and many within the company don't even know the full details about them. Which if true might actually explain the whole situation of why certain trusted figures say it's real but know nothing about it, because it may be a case their sources know of it but know nothing else about it but its existence (and then other sources who knew the PS5 stuff knew it was never slated for the PS5 reveal event like Katharsis claimed, so they're a bit confused on the status as well).

That's all assuming that is real though, which again I can't confirm even if I believe it. The confirmed stuff I can say with absolute certainty I've already said multiple times, but none of that is about Sony's involvement.

Now that the Portland stuff is dying down a bit I'm getting back into digging into it, but I don't really expect to find much. I want to confirm things as I know people don't like the doubt either, but ultimately what's available is available and the rest is a bit ambiguously weird on the details for now.

Sooooo,
- If Sony is trying to keep a tight lid on it
- You yourself only know of it's existence but beyond that you don't know much
- You have no actual info and don't know if half of it is even true

WHY do you keep pushing this stuff? Why keep making announcements, teases etc only to have things "change" or back track. Why not just wait until something comes out that you can actually prove......or better yet, keep it to yourself and let the game get announced on it's own terms. Thanks.

Deleted member 12555

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sooooo,

WHY do you keep pushing this stuff? Why keep making announcements, teases etc only to have things "change" or back track. Why not just wait until something comes out that you can actually prove......or better yet, keep it to yourself and let the game get announced on it's own terms. Thanks.

Can't you handle a little hope? Ignore the thread if its bothering you that much, and I understand if it does because I'm ready to see this game since a long time ago, yet here we are.

That's just the way Dusk is, people call into question the stuff he's said and he feels the need to reiterate so as to keep things as clear as he can, that's it. Don't take it so personally.

dep9000

Banned
Mar 31, 2020
That's total nonsense. No matter who said it.
Why do you think that? Silent Hill is an established IP and there is/was a huge fanbase behind it. Siren is essentially unknown. It makes sense that they would put a larger budget behind Silent Hill since it definitely would outsell a Siren game, regardless of quality.

Oct 29, 2017
Hey KatharsisT. Have you seen or do you know anything tangible about this game other than that it exists? If so, you don't have to specify what it is, but if know at all or not. Thanks.

Henrik

Jan 3, 2018
It's so ironic to see original creators from Konami make their own games.

Castlevania is dead. Koji Igarashi is satisfied with Bloodstained. Castlevania reboot like Bloodborne style was BS.

Murayama and Suikoden staff are kickstarting a new IP. Suikoden died when the last one got canned in 2015.

Metal Gear Survive killed the last legs Metal Gear had as a franchise. Death Stranding was backed by Sony and ended with a new military organization was born. According to KatharsisT it was changed to something else than horror in the end. I guess Sony wants a new Metal Gear type game even if it plays in a different setting if the sequel greenlights.

Silent Hill reboot is made by original creators backed by Sony and Konami and developed at SIEJA's HQ in Minato-ku, Tokyo.

Which franchise won in the end?

Biggersmaller

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Minneapolis
The first 2 SH games are probably all I need. This would need to be more than retread of familiar themes to get me excited. I would want something really fresh and likely commercially risky.

Kaiserstarky

Oct 30, 2017
I'm just waking up and catching up.

Silent Hill in development isn't fake, I've said this multiple times but I 100% can say that a Silent Hill game is in development from a Japanese studio that started dev in late 2018/the start of 2019 (and this came from Konami trying to gather/fund pitches from various different studios in the middle of 2018, looking to fund two Silent Hill games at the time). That I know absolutely with no doubt, so if we're talking about what's 100% true and what to trust as far as I know then you can believe that. I've said this multiple times and I know some don't like me doing that, but it's what I can guarantee is true. And I know it's frustrating, I can't get into why in detail publicly, but I can ensure these two tidbits are 100% true.

The Sony stuff even at this point I still believe, but as I've said I never was able to get a 100% confirm on it. I will say this, the two people I've talked to, Karthasis and the one Reddit user, did give me extremely detailed information on the who, what, where, why of how they came to know this information. I don't doubt for a second both truly believe in what they've heard and shared, and I can see why though I need a bit more before I can really feel truly confident behind it.

There's another point, but I'll answer it with this person's question.

I don't know Naftra's sources, but I can take a guess from having some monitor on behind-the-scenes sources.

Silent Hill is quite weird in the scene. If I didn't have four personal friends who I trust and have zero reason to doubt (and who have never lied about these things before and have zero reason to here), it'd be really weird to follow. So separate of Silent Hill, I know Sony has been trying really hard to keep a tight lid on certain things, I have a friend who's a translator who was going to sign contracts with a third party studio to translate some of their game stuff, but they had to be post-poned indefinitely due to the studio having a game for PS5 that's not revealed yet. Sony is being really tight shipped on some of this stuff, of including outside people being involved who might potentially leak things, I know that generally.

Silent Hill behind the scenes have had some reputable sources (not my sources either, others) who have talked and confirmed that Silent Hill stuff is true and does exist, but outside of that the details on it are like a desert. There's almost nothing, which makes it almost like a phantom, apparently it exists but where the fuck is it? And there's some parts of it which muddy the waters a bit more, like what parts are true and which parts are not?

It gets to a case where maybe some or maybe all of it is true, or some specific points weren't true, but do those deconfirm the other points or was it miscommunication, etc? I will say this, if the person I DM'd on Reddit was telling the truth (and again, to their credit they gave me a very detailed explanation of who they were, how they know, their history with this particular rumor, etc), they mentioned Silent Hill and one other project are two Sony in particular are being very, very secretive on, and many within the company don't even know the full details about them. Which if true might actually explain the whole situation of why certain trusted figures say it's real but know nothing about it, because it may be a case their sources know of it but know nothing else about it but its existence (and then other sources who knew the PS5 stuff knew it was never slated for the PS5 reveal event like Katharsis claimed, so they're a bit confused on the status as well).

That's all assuming that is real though, which again I can't confirm even if I believe it. The confirmed stuff I can say with absolute certainty I've already said multiple times, but none of that is about Sony's involvement.

Now that the Portland stuff is dying down a bit I'm getting back into digging into it, but I don't really expect to find much. I want to confirm things as I know people don't like the doubt either, but ultimately what's available is available and the rest is a bit ambiguously weird on the details for now.

I'm really curious about the other project from Sony you're talking about especially if it's also a japanese game.

KatharsisT

Banned
Mar 2, 2020
Not cool
Hey KatharsisT. Have you seen or do you know anything tangible about this game other than that it exists? If so, you don't have to specify what it is, but if know at all or not. Thanks.
I don't wanna give who my source is but when this kind of source tells you that this game exists, that the development goes fast and that the persons behind it are so passionate, you can only believe them. This game has been wanted for a while now and not only from the players but also from the people behind it. This isn't just a game, this is a letter of love from some devs who have been hard at work behind it for more than a year and a half so far.

Like Dusk said, I had other information about other things that were right from the same person. I don't wanna specify what it is but I trust them 100%.

I'm certain everything they gave me about SH was right and I have my reasons for that (that I can't give you and you know why).

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
Roma, Italia
I don't wanna give who my source is but when this kind of source tells you that this game exists, that the development goes fast and that the persons behind it are so passionate, you can only believe them. This game has been wanted for a while now and not only from the players but also from the people behind it. This isn't just a game, this is a letter of love from some devs who have been hard at work behind it for more than a year and a half so far.

Like Dusk said, I had other information about other things that were right from the same person. I don't wanna specify what it is but I trust them 100%.

I'm certain everything they gave me about SH was right and I have my reasons for that (that I can't give you and you know why).

🤤

KatharsisT

Banned
Mar 2, 2020
Not cool
I have absolutely no point in sharing all of that information other than give people who wants Silent Hill to come back like me a little hope. I know what you've been through, I've felt exactly the same. I don't want people to love me or anything else, I just wanna be happy with all of you and I know some people here were really happy to have a glimpse of hope during that shitty period we went through.

I know that someday we'll be all happy together that Silent Hill is back, we just need to have a little bit more patience. I'm feeling the same frustration as all of you, trust me.

TheJollyCorner

The Fallen
Nov 7, 2017
The first 2 SH games are probably all I need. This would need to be more than retread of familiar themes to get me excited. I would want something really fresh and likely commercially risky.

Not gonna lie- this is where I'm at, too.

Don't get me wrong, I'll go crazy once this is confirmed knowing Toyama/Ito/Yamaoka are all working together again making something new.
Personally, I want to see Ito go really crazy with the other world art direction; something that is familiar as Silent Hill, but also something different allowing this game to really have its own unique visual identity.
I want the story to be in some kind of wild layers and not just "guy searching for something -> twist ending".

I just can't wait for that first trailer and the speculation that will come from each frame.
Being on a forum with other SH enthusiasts and really digging into the first SH3 trailer back in '03 was a blast.

Menchi

Oct 28, 2017
UK
Sooooo,

You could just put the thread on ignore. You seem personally offended that people are still interested in it, why on earth would you obsess yourself with something so much if it bothers you?

Oct 29, 2017

Thanks for your reply. Much appreciated. 🙂

addik

Oct 28, 2017

Oh man, I still remain a skeptic, but I do hope it's true. Passion isn't something that this franchise has seen since it was taken off Team Silent's hands.

Nardy_19

Alt-account
Banned
Sep 14, 2019
You could just put the thread on ignore. You seem personally offended that people are still interested in it, why on earth would you obsess yourself with something so much if it bothers you?
That would make sense but I ACTUALLY want to hear news and this is the only active thread on Silent Hill. So no, i can't put it on ignore , because any information at all gets put into this thread.

I appreciate you concern though.

Nardy_19

Alt-account
Banned
Sep 14, 2019
Can't you handle a little hope? Ignore the thread if its bothering you that much, and I understand if it does because I'm ready to see this game since a long time ago, yet here we are.

That's just the way Dusk is, people call into question the stuff he's said and he feels the need to reiterate so as to keep things as clear as he can, that's it. Don't take it so personally.
There's a difference between "hope" and constantly changing the goal line of Silent Hill news. I WANT a new Silent Hill......so i'm in here for that reason, but it's annoying how many different times there is a new "leak" from him, only to be changed when it gets disproven. Like, just give actual news or don't say anything at all.

Not to mention the constant "well i have a source, but i can't reveal that source, but i trust them, so it's 100%". Again, either leak it or don't but the half leaks-half secrecy stuff is silly and just adds to the fuel of them constantly changing the info.

Naga

Alt account
Banned
Aug 29, 2019
So to clarify, neither Dusk or Katharsis' sources are devs (or similar) working on the game, but second hand sources that themselves have heard from someone else, right?
And they both aren't 100% sure it's Sony, but a japanese studio?

edit: just trying to sum up the actual interesting info in those two posts on this very page.

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
There's a difference between "hope" and constantly changing the goal line of Silent Hill news. I WANT a new Silent Hill......so i'm in here for that reason, but it's annoying how many different times there is a new "leak" from him, only to be changed when it gets disproven. Like, just give actual news or don't say anything at all.

Not to mention the constant "well i have a source, but i can't reveal that source, but i trust them, so it's 100%". Again, either leak it or don't but the half leaks-half secrecy stuff is silly and just adds to the fuel of them constantly changing the info.
The lack of self awareness of how annoying you are to people sharing "inside" information in this thread is amazing. Please take what they say with a healthy grain of salt, or feel free to ignore them or this thread.

addik

Oct 28, 2017
So to clarify, neither Dusk or Katharsis' sources are devs (or similar) working on the game, but second hand sources that themselves have heard from someone else, right?

edit: just trying to sum up the actual interesting info in those two posts on this very page.

KatharsisT's source seems to be in the know, but we're not sure how directly or indirectly involved they are with the game, if they are at all.

Dusk's sources are second-hand, but he has a lot. He has several who have come out and claim that there is a Silent Hill game being developed by a Japan-based team (they did not specify this was Sony). He was also in contact with someone at Reddit who also had a source who used to work for Sony (but left recently). The Redditor claims his source knew about a Silent Hill game being developed within Sony, but was not sure if it was Team Siren/Toyama who is behind it.

We don't know who RelyOnHorror's source is, but it's most likely different from the others listed.

Another verified user said in this thread that he knows that Sony is working on a horror game with a renown horror director, but don't know other details.

Trejo

Oct 25, 2017
At this point I'm just assuming the rumors are false, the info is bogus and the franchise remains dead. No reason to constantly get my hopes up only to see them dashed month after month. And if by some miracle this thing actually turns out to be true I'll get to be pleasantly surprised. Until then, it's business as usual.

KatharsisT

Banned
Mar 2, 2020
Not cool

I'm 100% sure it's Japan Studio.

Oct 29, 2017
only a real insider could know something as obviously made up as "developing a major title faster than regular because its on a new unreleased console with major technology changes and needs to be able to be promoted as a first party showcase exclusive title"

Supposedly, PS5 is "easy" to develop for, and Silent Hill games don't require huge budgets.

Status
Not open for further replies.