• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Will the game show in August after being a bust in June?

• Yes

Votes: 653 36.3%
  • No

Votes: 1,147 63.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 29, 2017
Would a lot of people be upset if there was Silent Hill game with Toyama, Ito, and Yamaoka on board, and it was a SH game in just about every way but with a different name (and within legal limits) ala Bloodstained: ROTN? I think at this point, this is the most likely possibility given Konami's track record.

Encephalon

Oct 26, 2017
Japan
Would a lot of people be upset if there was Silent Hill game with Toyama, Ito, and Yamaoka on board, and it was a SH game in just about every way but with a different name (and within legal limits) ala Bloodstained: ROTN? I think at this point, this is the most likely possibility given Konami's track record.
I would like this. Silent Hill doesn't need endless, expensive lore. I also prefer the low key representation of the cult in the original...

Lord Fanny

Banned
Apr 25, 2020
I feel like I entered this page around the time of the PS4 event in June and am finally now looking through it and have absolutely no idea what's going on. Lol. So we thinking this is real and possibly at whenever Sony has their PS5 event?

This was before the August event was a bust, but this is the story thus far. Nothing of huge significance has changed since this

www.resetera.com

Sony rebooting Silent Hill series - Update: Maybe ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Holding out hope at least until Toyama's new project is announced.

Doodlebug

Oct 25, 2017
Homecoming was trying very hard to cash in on the movie. If you were fine with the tone of the movie and the way it used Silent Hill assets, you may enjoy Homecoming. I was okay with the movie otherworld, I was okay with the movie nurses, movie Pyramid Head started going too far for me, but it really lost me when

I definitely think Shattered Memories is the best of the post-Japan games, but it was also doing it's own unique thing. Downpour probably got closest at trying to be an update of what the series was. Homecoming and Origins were the ones I think failed at their intentions, but there's still okay things in both. People in general are too hard on the western games, they aren't anywhere near as good as earlier SHs but they are still decent horror games.

To stay slightly on topic, I do think one of the main things that's exciting about the currently believed team behind the new SH is that it's got the potential to bring back the flavor of the original games.

I think Shattered Memories excels at using the source material with artistic license. The story and what they chose to do with the characters is where the game shines.

Silent Hill is meaningful when it hits that specific mark; when it leaves you thinking about it, when it maintains its aesthetic grasps on you. All of the 4 entries did this along with Shattered Memories, which left you thinking about the music, the atmosphere.

Homecoming had the red/gold color scheme that played heavily off of the movie and sh3. Downpour was blue/gray, a thematic departure that relied too much on the miners from the movie and the prison story. However, it introduced a free roaming element around town that let you explore.

Origins had the sh1 theme going for it but the mirror travel made the otherworld less mysterious, which in the end I think helps to gather that SH isn't about innovation as much as it is capturing its essence.

Darkknight2149

Ban made permanent due to harassment of staff
Banned
May 27, 2020
I feel like I entered this page around the time of the PS4 event in June and am finally now looking through it and have absolutely no idea what's going on. Lol. So we thinking this is real and possibly at whenever Sony has their PS5 event?

Truth be told, it's entirely up in the air. There is a lot of evidence that it is real, but also reasons to believe it's not (mainly Sony taking their sweet time, if there is something to announce).

If it does turn out to be real, I hope it's announced sooner rather than later, since people are giving up or complaining every time it's not announced on the soonest possible date (even if Dusk or Katharsis clarify beforehand that the date isn't pinned down).

Katharsis originally said that the game would be announced between May and October, but before the PS5 launch at the latest. The game is supposedly in a playable state, geared for a 2021 release date. The latest rumours are suggesting that the PlayStation 5 console is getting released in November, which somewhat aligns with this timeline.

TGS (where Silent Hill games are traditionally announced) is happening in late-September, with rumours of another event in October. It's too soon to give up right now. But if the game is not announced by November (or whenever the PS5 launches), I think it's 100% time to start ignoring the rumours unless something concrete comes out.

The credibility will be gone by that point, if we pass the announcement window and it still isn't announced. In the meantime...

latest

"It's too soon to give up. If Sony sends a Gravity Rush rescue squad, we're home free."

Darkknight2149

Ban made permanent due to harassment of staff
Banned
May 27, 2020
Origins had the sh1 theme going for it but the mirror travel made the otherworld less mysterious, which in the end I think helps to gather that SH isn't about innovation as much as it is capturing its essence.

It wasn't that it made it less mysterious, it was that it:
  • Defeats the point of the Otherworld, since it's far more scary when you don't expect or cannot control when the Otherworld happens.
  • Misunderstands what the Fog World and Otherworld are in the first place. There isn't some comic book-style multiverse, where the town cycles through multiple parallel dimensions that you can travel back-and-forth to. To quote Team Silent sources directly:
The mist and darkness that blur the line between dream and reality

Mist and darkness have become symbols of the Silent Hill series. It is not the case that these elements are present merely to frighten the player. Mist and darkness obstruct the horizon by creating a condition in which visibility is limited. In other words, the boundary between heaven and earth is obscured, which suggests a blurring of the line between dream and reality.

Originally Silent Hill was a holy place to the area's former inhabitants. It would seem that although the power of the town was not evil in nature, due to a number of factors including the spread of an epidemic and executions at the prison, the power that this place held was greatly distorted. Furthermore, due to the large-scale shift to the otherworld that occurred in the first game, the town has become a great catalyst for the manifestation of peoples' unconscious minds. It appears to have become a place that beckons to those who hold darkness in their hearts.

It becomes night (?) on a number of occasions as Harry moves about the town. In the same way, there are also many times when aspects of the town and its buildings change completely. For the sake of convenience, this will be referred to as the "right side" and "reverse side" in this book. These changes occur because there is a cycle in the world of Alessa's nightmares which envelops the town. In the same way that a person normally repeats REM sleep and non-REM sleep in regular cycles while he or she is sleeping, when the nightmare world approaches a deeper darkness (sleep), a phenomenon occurs in which light is almost completely taken away and the world shifts into an even deeper nightmare as the cycle shifts again.

If you look at all of the Japanese-made games, aside from Silent Hill 3 returning to the story of the first game (which wasn't originally planned), the sequels did nothing but innovate. Silent Hill, Silent Hill 2, Silent Hill 4: The Room, Silent Hill 5 (cancelled), Silent Hills: Playable Teaser. A new game from Project Siren and Masahiro Ito would inevitably do the same.

www.resetera.com

Let's clear this up: Team Silent was making a Silent Hill 5, and it (and they) got canned by Konami

Basically what the title says. For a while I've been kind of annoyed at the misconception of what exactly happened to the "Silent Hill Team". For some reason, it's a popular belief that the team just quietly gave up after the release of Silent Hill 4: The Room and Konami immediacy outsourced the...

Last edited:

geronimo73

Oct 28, 2017
This is hell

It's fine

It's always like this....

We should all just descend into a mass shitposting to celebrate in the massive dumpster fire this year/OT has been.

KatharsisT ,Dusk Golem ,geronimo73 yall are invited too

Fuck your sources, fuck your scoops, fuck your drag, let's all just bask in the glory that is this fever dream of an OT.

Lets post cringe
Silent Hill cringe 🥴👍

News are coming

We are discussing it in private

Don't be angry

Ovvv

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Jan 11, 2019
Some of yall have never had to wait 10+ years for a game and it shows.

addik

Oct 28, 2017
Some of yall have never had to wait 10+ years for a game and it shows.
Last decent Silent Hill game for me was 2010 with Shattered Memories, so this would be a 10+ year wait for me.

Well, there's also PT/Silent Hills which made the waiting a lot worse lol. Talk about giving us false hope.

geronimo73

Oct 28, 2017
In agreement with KatharsisT

- Konami has working on a Silent Hill game reboot (like God of War) for around 2 years
- project "Silent Hills" deceaded this year after a briefing with Konami, a legal representant of Kojima and Sony
- Japan Studio (with PlaystationStudios support) cares the development of "project 0" to become a survival horror video game (after a partnership signed with Konami, this should right be the Silent Hill reboot)
- Roles: Toyama as creative director, Masahiro Ito and Akira Yamaoka as external artist consultants from 2019
- Sony will publish and release it as PS5 exclusive, Konami would obtain 8% of revenue
- Development status is expected to be good, so release by 2021 or early 2022

Maybe, what I used to know as "Project 0" based on the Silent Hill franchise was actually Silent Hill

Lord Fanny

Banned
Apr 25, 2020

- Konami has working on a Silent Hill game reboot (like God of War) for around 2 years
- project "Silent Hills" deceaded this year after a briefing with Konami, a legal representant of Kojima and Sony
- Japan Studio (with PlaystationStudios support) cares the development of "project 0" to become a survival horror video game (after a partnership signed with Konami, this should right be the Silent Hill reboot)
- Roles: Toyama as creative director, Masahiro Ito and Akira Yamaoka as external artist consultants from 2019
- Sony will publish and release it as PS5 exclusive, Konami would obtain 8% of revenue

Maybe, what I used to know as "Project 0" based on the Silent Hill franchise was actually Silent Hill

The Silent Hills thing was supposed to have happened on 2018, not this year. Unless you're trying to say something new with it happened this year, but I assume that's not what you mean

Dusk Golem

Local Horror Enthusiast
Oct 25, 2017
The Silent Hills thing was supposed to have happened on 2018, not this year. Unless you're trying to say something new with it happened this year, but I assume that's not what you mean
If Katharsis is telling the truth, which I believe they are, the meetings on Silent Hills were at the start of this year/late last year.

I also heard similar things from Cannon_Fodder seperately who heard the same thing from a different source. And it seems Roberto heard the same thing from yet a different source.

However, it should be clarified again these talks lead to nothing for Silent Hills with an S.

Oct 25, 2017

Is the bolded information from KatharsisT or from you originally?

Lord Fanny

Banned
Apr 25, 2020
If Katharsis is telling the truth, which I believe they are, the meetings on Silent Hills were at the start of this year/late last year.

I also heard similar things from Cannon_Fodder seperately who heard the same thing from a different source. And it seems Roberto heard the same thing from yet a different source.

Have you not said that these meetings happened in 2018 in the past?

Dusk Golem

Local Horror Enthusiast
Oct 25, 2017
Have you not said that these meetings happened in 2018 in the past?
2018 is when Konami shopped around to greenlight two Silent Hill games at different studios. That I know 100%.

I also know from both Katharsis and Cannon_Fodder if they are both telling the truth (which I believe) that a Siren game was canned and Sony came into the picture to Konami, but negotiations only made complete until 2019.

Lord Fanny

Banned
Apr 25, 2020
The 8% thing, honestly, kind of makes me more skeptic of that information in some ways. Like, there's no way anyone who didn't have knowledge of the contract details would know that, and the odds of someone with that kind of knowledge of an actual contract leaking it out feels very low. Something is off about that. The rest may be true, but I think that part is probably speculation.

2018 is when Konami shopped around to greenlight two Silent Hill games at different studios. That I know 100%.

I also know from both Katharsis and Cannon_Fodder if they are both telling the truth (which I believe) that a Siren game was canned and Sony came into the picture to Konami, but negotiations only made complete until 2019.

Well, okay, if that's the case that makes the Silent Hills information make even less sense. So they were already making one Silent Hill reboot, and in the middle of development, worked with a third party studio to revive another Silent Hill game? One that would also be had to be made from scratch since no real work with into Silent Hills as an actual project? The timeline sort of made sense, even though a lot about it didn't, when it was Sony/Konmai/Kojima wanting to revive the game and when that fell apart they went another direction, but this makes it sound like they were going to commit to doing two full SH games, one of which would undoubtedly be a very large budget game with Kojima involved, from two different studios.

Something isn't adding up there.

geronimo73

Oct 28, 2017
Is the bolded information from KatharsisT or from you originally?
Merged and shared

in particular

Me
KatharsisT

Deleted member 12555

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The 8% thing, honestly, kind of makes me more skeptic of that information in some ways. Like, there's no way anyone who didn't have knowledge of the contract details would know that, and the odds of someone with that kind of knowledge of an actual contract leaking it out feels very low. Something is off about that. The rest may be true, but I think that part is probably speculation.

Well, okay, if that's the case that makes the Silent Hills information make even less sense. So they were already making one Silent Hill reboot, and in the middle of development, worked with a third party studio to revive another Silent Hill game? One that would also be had to be made from scratch since no real work with into Silent Hills as an actual project? The timeline sort of made sense, even though a lot about it didn't, when it was Sony/Konmai/Kojima wanting to revive the game and when that fell apart they went another direction, but this makes it sound like they were going to commit to doing two full SH games, one of which would undoubtedly be a very large budget game with Kojima involved, from two different studios.

Something isn't adding up there.

Was Hills supposed to be exclusive to PS? Because if it wasn't, I can see it sort of happening. Japan Studios supposedly had a Siren game canceled, they could maybe have reworked unused concepts into Silent Hill, which is more recognizable than Siren, and then Hills would be Kojima's thing, in first person, coming out at a different time. I think there would've been interest in both.

I'd love to know more details, for sure.

Angie

Best Avatar Thread Ever!
Nov 20, 2017
Kingdom of Corona
Wait what the hell? What happened to the supposed briefing that happened this year?
And the for sure no Silent Hill is being made.

I already replied about it

No Silent Hill in development at now

There was a briefing a lot of months ago to discuss it, nothing more

if Konami will choose to deliver a new (or reboot of) Silent Hill , it's not soon

At now there is a new horror game in development by Playstation Studios for PS5. No way to know when it will come out

tenor.gif

Lord Fanny

Banned
Apr 25, 2020
Was Hills supposed to be exclusive to PS? Because if it wasn't, I can see it sort of happening. Japan Studios supposedly had a Siren game canceled, they could maybe have reworked unused concepts into Silent Hill, which is more recognizable than Siren, and then Hills would be Kojima's thing, in first person, coming out at a different time. I think there would've been interest in both.

I'd love to know more details, for sure.

It was supposedly a deal between Sony, Konami and Kojima Productions, so yeah. Honestly, something like that happening in general is incredibly unlikely for a lot of reasons. But it being negotiated while Sony is already developing a SH reboot or whatever just makes zero sense. The only way I could see this making sense is if Sony is planning to just out and out make Silent Hill a PS-exclusive franchise, kind of like how Fatal Frame is technically a Nintendo franchise at this point despite being owned by someone else.

And we don't know if Silent Hills would be first person. Silent Hills never had an actual direction or work done on it. It was never more than PT and a bunch of ideas in Kojima's head. Which makes someone 'reviving' it seem strange to begin with.

Like I said, something just isn't adding up there.

EagleClaw

Dec 31, 2018
8% revenue IP deal sounds like pretty detailed informations.
I also could see Konami making business with their IPs.

But after seeing that...

... i'm not even sure i want it.

I want a game with Silent Hill atmosphere, the name or storyline in relation to previous games is not important for me.

Dusk Golem

Local Horror Enthusiast
Oct 25, 2017
The simplest way I can say it is Katharsis has some very compelling info that can't be public but simultaneously fits with what I know for fact and what Roberto knew as fact. And Transistor can verify.

I even had some suspicions Roberto heard correct things but from someone in the dark. Cannon_Fodder was kind and gave me a very thorough explanation of the how, who, what they knew, not to share publicly, but they highlighted internally even Sony has been VERY secretive about two projects, Silent Hill being one of them. Many in the company have only heard murmerings about it, or know a horror game is in the works but not the specifics around it. Which had me thinking Roberto heard something true but from someone a bit in the outer ring of things.

Assuming this is all true, though I believe it, but I can only 100% verify the stuff on my end and not all the Sony stuff, just know the evidence is compelling but too specific to be public.

Angie

Best Avatar Thread Ever!
Nov 20, 2017
Kingdom of Corona
Are you not reading what he said? A game he called project 0 was a horror game being made by Sony. After talking to Katharsis he says the game he knew as project 0 is now probably silent hill.
Yes I'm reading. He also claimed that no Silent Hill was being made. Also the supossed Horror game that sony was making was not be shown soon, and now aparently is a 2021 game.

From being certian to not being made that only a small briefing that happened this year, to the game is well advance, is normal that I might have some doubts? Don't you agree?

Also how would anyone would have acess to the deals detail like revenue? Seems that is something very very very few would know. And not even devs would have that info.

Oct 26, 2017
UK
Yes I'm reading. He also claimed that no Silent Hill was being made. Also the supossed Horror game that sony was making was not be shown soon, and now aparently is a 2021 game.

From being certian to not being made that only a small briefing that happened this year, to the game is well advance, is normal that I might have some doubts? Don't you agree?

No, he's spoken to other insiders, they have shared their information, he has now changed his stance upon learning new information.

Deleted member 12555

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
8% revenue IP deal sounds like pretty detailed informations.
I also could see Konami making business with their IPs.

But after seeing that...

... i'm not even sure i want it.

I want a game with Silent Hill atmosphere, the name or storyline in relation to previous games is not important for me.

Well, assuming he's involved, he's in a consultant capacity, not heading the project, if that eases your concerns. I think they understand that there are certain things people have come to expect from SH. The first 4 games, at least.

Oct 25, 2017
So the 8% cut was the only new information today and that came from KatharsisT apparently? I hope it wasn't something that was not supposed to be shared. A pretty specific detail if true.

EagleClaw

Dec 31, 2018
Well, assuming he's involved, he's in a consultant capacity, not heading the project, if that eases your concerns. I think they understand that there are certain things people have come to expect from SH. The first 4 games, at least.

I don't want to start some premature concerns.
Just that he names espacially the legacy SH games is somehow "sad".

Maybe the mist in the games were just there because the consoles couldn't handle the games otherwise, but that is exactly what i want.
I want a open world town.
And strong highly animated mist with RT lighting.

I don't want Silent Hill the Room. It was also not too bad, but the last SH i played.

Lord Fanny

Banned
Apr 25, 2020
The simplest way I can say it is Katharsis has some very compelling info that can't be public but simultaneously fits with what I know for fact and what Roberto knew as fact. And Transistor can verify.

I even had some suspicions Roberto heard correct things but from someone in the dark. Cannon_Fodder was kind and gave me a very thorough explanation of the how, who, what they knew, not to share publicly, but they highlighted internally even Sony has been VERY secretive about two projects, Silent Hill being one of them. Many in the company have only heard murmerings about it, or know a horror game is in the works but not the specifics around it. Which had me thinking Roberto heard something true but from someone a bit in the outer ring of things.

Assuming this is all true, though I believe it, but I can only 100% verify the stuff on my end and not all the Sony stuff, just know the evidence is compelling but too specific to be public.

There's just too many holes in the Silent Hills thing to be believable tbh. But apparently nothing can be said about it without exposing sources or whatever, so nothing else to be said about it.

As far as the highlighted...yeah, that's kind of hard to believe as well lol. It's much harder to keep a game's development secret than that, and apparently they haven't done a good job if these people have found out about it lmao.

Looks like KatharsisT said end of 2021 or early 2022 a couple months ago. Of course we already knew from KatharsisT that Toyama, Ito and Yamaoka were involved some months ago too.

www.resetera.com

PlayStation Studios |OT9| Moves 100 times faster than |OT8|

Not this year imo. Maybe in the end of 2021 or beginning of 2022.

www.resetera.com

Sony rebooting Silent Hill series - Update: Maybe ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

The only thing I can 100% confirm is the SH reboot with Toyama, Ito and Yamaoka. It'll be announced in the next few months.

So the 8% cut was the only new information today and that came from KatharsisT apparently? I hope it wasn't something that was not supposed to be shared. A pretty specific detail if true.

One of those posts don't mention that, and the other is about PS VR 2

Lord Fanny

Banned
Apr 25, 2020
How many people inside Sony or Konami you imagine that would have access to that information?

I would imagine a pretty small amount, honestly. I don't know how it works in those two companies specifically, but I generally know in other businesses the people who know the actual specifics of a contact like that would be, obviously, the lawyers, and those at the top who negotiated the deal. I don't know, it could be different in the gaming world, maybe more lower level employees have more access to these kinds of things, and it's always possible someone was able to see it it they weren't supposed to, but my initial reaction is not many.

Angie

Best Avatar Thread Ever!
Nov 20, 2017
Kingdom of Corona
I would imagine a pretty small amount, honestly. I don't know how it works in those two companies specifically, but I generally know in other businesses the people who know the actual specifics of a contact like that would be, obviously, the lawyers, and those at the top who negotiated the deal. I don't know, it could be different in the gaming world, maybe more lower level employees have more access to these kinds of things, and it's always possible someone was able to see it it they weren't supposed to, but my initial reaction is not many.
No one that has access to this info is going to leak it. Because no one wants to be sued by a multi billion $ conpany by leaking information like that.
And leaking for no gain btw. Leak contract details to post on a forum?
Am I the only one that see that this makes no sense?

Status
Not open for further replies.