• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Will the game show in August after being a bust in June?

• Yes

Votes: 653 36.3%
  • No

Votes: 1,147 63.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Spinky

Oct 25, 2017
London
Everyone at me right now.

More like

AmbitiousBelovedHapuku-size_restricted.gif

Phantom_Snake

The Fallen
Jul 26, 2018
Montana
I know Dusk is only speculating here but I'll be disappointed as fuck if Sony and Konami set up all this hype with the DBD DLC only to disappoint us with a no-show on the 11th.

See that's kinda what I'm thinking too. But the more I ponder the more I feel like it makes more sense to show games that could be further out at the reveal, and focus on launch games in August closer to release.

Shevek

Oct 25, 2017
Cape Town, South Africa
See that's kinda what I'm thinking too. But the more I ponder the more I feel like it makes more sense to show games that could be further out at the reveal, and focus on launch games in August closer to release.

Yeah, that makes sense. Though Dusk mentioned in that Twitter thread that he's positive that RE8 is going to be at the reveal event on the 11th, meaning that Silent Hill might indeed only be shown in August if what he's speculating ends up being true.

Phantom_Snake

The Fallen
Jul 26, 2018
Montana
Yeah, that makes sense. Though Dusk mentioned in that Twitter thread that he's positive that RE8 is going to be at the reveal event on the 11th, meaning that Silent Hill might indeed only be shown in August if what he's speculating ends up being true.
I believe him too that RE8 is 100 percent going to be there. But the show will be a little over an hour, they can space them out just fine.

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
SH and RE8 at the event would be freaking bonkers..
I'm really curious to see how they reveal both. To my mind, the RE7 reveal is still the best of this generation, with the huge swerve at the end. RE2R was super playful too with the mouse PoV (while RE3R was kind of a mess imo).

Something something, make us think we're watching the Silent Hill trailer during the RE one, before transitioning into actual Silent Hill right after.

Inkvoterad

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
How well established is Gamereactor?

Used to be my regular forum in my early teens and somewhat in the later, during that point it was one of the biggest gaming sites in the nordic countries. I know theres some other language ones but its the swedish one that was the original. Dunno how reliable it is nowadays though, because we're talking like 8-10 years back here, and the site itself kinda died in the forum side after big overhauls and it being more and more of a comfy place for gamergate type people, probably due to the chief editor being a "keep politics outta my vidyagames" type dude. I know a ton of good writers left it over the years and went to other places. News section is probably still good though.

Lord Fanny

Banned
Apr 25, 2020
By now, anyone that's followed this thread with any degree of regularity should know that Dusk doesn't really know anything about this project and is just hearing second hand stuff. And before you get the pitchfork, that's what he has basically said several times, not me. I know he's been deified here and all, but just saying, don't look a lot into what he says about this Silent Hill game. By his own admittance, he's not in the know.

How well established is Gamereactor?

It's just the average site, nothing I would look too much into. That came from an article about unannounced games, and it's just regurgitated rumors about Batman, Demon's Souls remake, etc. I imagine probably a lot of comes from this very thread lol.

John Frost

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
I'm really curious to see how they reveal both. To my mind, the RE7 reveal is still the best of this generation, with the huge swerve at the end. RE2R was super playful too with the mouse PoV (while RE3R was kind of a mess imo).

Something something, make us think we're watching the Silent Hill trailer during the RE one, before transitioning into actual Silent Hill right after.

Yeah RE7 and RE2R reveals were so good.

But if one of them had to skip this event it would be RE8 for me, just because SH deserves all the spotlight and because we got a lot of RE games this gen, so maybe in August? Of course both would be great tho^^

Oct 29, 2017
By now, anyone that's followed this thread with any degree of regularity should know that Dusk doesn't really know anything about this project and is just hearing second hand stuff. And before you get the pitchfork, that's what he has basically said several times, not me. I know he's been deified here and all, but just saying, don't look a lot into what he says about this Silent Hill game. By his own admittance, he's not in the know.

It's just the average site, nothing I would look too much into. That came from an article about unannounced games, and it's just regurgitated rumors about Batman, Demon's Souls remake, etc. I imagine probably a lot of comes from this very thread lol.

To be fair though, the editor claimed to have their own source, if I read the article correctly and if it was correctly translated.

Also, Dusk Golem said he heard that other journalists heard about the game.

It is not so much that I believe any of this, though I wish it's all true.

Lord Fanny

Banned
Apr 25, 2020
To be fair though, the editor claimed to have their own source, if I read the article correctly and if it was correctly translated.

Well, I mean of course that's what he's saying lol, but what I meant was none of these rumors are original. It's all just retellings of other rumors. Mass Effect trilogy was talked about by Jeff Grubb, the Batman and Demon's Souls remakes were from Jason Schrier, and the Silent Hill stuff was from here. He may have 'original sources,' but it's largely just the same stuff multiple people have being saying alright.

Also, Dusk Golem said he heard that other journalists heard about the game.

It is not so much that I believe any of this, though I wish it's all true.

That's largely what I mean. Dusk's whole thing about this has been, 'I hear this from someone else, but I don't know. I want to believe.' People just tend to hang on his every word and all, but if you're actually reading what he's writing, it's clear all of his information about this particular project is stuff he's getting second hand from others. It's fine if he thinks it's reliable but it doesn't really mean much outside what we know from this thread, and have known from this thread for like months lol.

I think people are just kind of stir-crazy because he hadn't gotten any new leaks or info, and we haven't gotten anyone else that's like a silver bullet (like Jason Schrier, for instance) to 100% remove all doubt. We know what we know and have known for months, and that's all we know lol.

Last edited:
Apr 18, 2020
Hey, I've been stalking this thread for months now and finally decided to hop in. I really hope that Masahiro Ito is playing coy in this tweet response about the event he made today... not to derail the hype train, just something I noticed. I understand he wouldn't say anything that could spoil its intended reveal- but why respond at all? Unless that's part of the cat and mouse game? What are your thoughts on this? I've been keeping up with the rumors since RelyonHorror ran with the initial leaks back in February- so I've been invested in this roller coaster for some time.

Spinky

Oct 25, 2017
London
Hey, I've been stalking this thread for months now and finally decided to hop in. I really hope that Masahiro Ito is playing coy in this tweet response about the event he made today... not to derail the hype train, just something I noticed. I understand he wouldn't say anything that could spoil its intended reveal- but why respond at all? Unless that's part of the cat and mouse game? What are your thoughts on this? I've been keeping up with the rumors since RelyonHorror ran with the initial leaks back in February- so I've been invested in this roller coaster for some time.
He's responded to a number of tweets like this. He's just said "I don't know" every time. Doesn't mean much either way.

Hell, the fact that he's never outright denied it is probably-maybe a good thing.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017

I think you'd be better served by not worrying too much about what individual game developers have to say to random people who tweet at them. You're not going to see a smoking gun on Twitter like that.

Apr 18, 2020
He's responded to a number of tweets like this. He's just said "I don't know" every time. Doesn't mean much either way.

Hell, the fact that he's never outright denied it is probably-maybe a good thing.

Very true.

I think you'd be better served by not worrying too much about what individual game developers have to say to random people who tweet at them. You're not going to see a smoking gun on Twitter like that.

Valid point, I guess I've just seen so much of the hearsay about this coming from some of the things that he's tweeted that I got into the habit of reading a bit too much into them.

May 26, 2018

Surely that tweet means nothing. I guess you could read into it if you truly wished, but it seems maybe unnecessary to do so.

Miaus

Jan 28, 2018
There are very few games that could make me buy a new console just to play them and a new, actually good Silent Hill, is among them. If the new Paper Mario is great and this is actually real and looks great... man, what an amazing June it could be. Here's hoping TLoU2 is great too.

addik

Oct 28, 2017
Honestly, it'd be strange if RE8 is in the event and Silent Hill isn't. I get that SH will probably be released later than RE8, but they're both releasing in 2021 anyway and Silent Hill is at least exclusive to next-gen. We did hear that some plans shifted because of how Xbox 20/20 and Unreal Engine 5 reveal were received, so I wouldn't be surprised to see Sony doubling down on showing their next-gen efforts even if we won't get them on launch. 2021 isn't that far off, anyway.

Lord Fanny

Banned
Apr 25, 2020
Honestly, it'd be strange if RE8 is in the event and Silent Hill isn't. I get that SH will probably be released later than RE8, but they're both releasing in 2021 anyway and Silent Hill is at least exclusive to next-gen. We did hear that some plans shifted because of how Xbox 20/20 and Unreal Engine 5 reveal were received, so I wouldn't be surprised to see Sony doubling down on showing their next-gen efforts even if we won't get them on launch. 2021 isn't that far off, anyway.

Well SH is 2021 at the earliest. It could be 2022.

dpanim

Oct 27, 2017
There are very few games that could make me buy a new console just to play them and a new, actually good Silent Hill, is among them. If the new Paper Mario is great and this is actually real and looks great... man, what an amazing June it could be. Here's hoping TLoU2 is great too.
The day Silent Hill PS5 releases, I'm buying a PS5 along with a 4K TV. It will be a glorious day.

Lord Fanny

Banned
Apr 25, 2020
I would say if by the end of August, there's no sign of this game, the thread should definitely be shut down imo. Because at that point, it's either not real or at the very least much farther down the road than anyone thinks. Either way, at that point, there would be nothing to discuss and no real endpoint for any speculation.

Lord Fanny

Banned
Apr 25, 2020
You've got a point there, actually. People have been throwing around 2021 as a target release but Sony could have elected to make this a 2022 release recently (or it may have always been 2022)

Well, 2021 is what KatharsisT said, as you see above, so that's where it comes from. But if development started in 2019 as she also said, yeah, it's very likely it could slip into 2022 is basically what I meant. 2 year cycle is pretty tight honestly, especially assuming there is a decent budget to this, so it wouldn't surprise me.

Mar 19, 2020
If it is in active development, I hope they just announce it rather than sitting on a reveal until later in time. I don't think people would mind waiting a long time for a release date.

KatharsisT

Banned
Mar 2, 2020
Not cool
Wait until 2021 is nothing. Remember the latest AAA from PlayStation ? Spider-Man, we had to wait 2 years, same for GoW. 3 years for Death Stranding and 4 years for Last of Us Part.2. Oh and 3 years for Ghost of Tsushima. Around 1 year to wait is absolutely nothing.

addik

Oct 28, 2017
I can confirm it's still 2021 atm.

Well, 2021 is what KatharsisT said, as you see above, so that's where it comes from. But if development started in 2019 as she also said, yeah, it's very likely it could slip into 2022 is basically what I meant. 2 year cycle is pretty tight honestly, especially assuming there is a decent budget to this, so it wouldn't surprise me.

Oh yeah it's definitely tight and I wouldn't be surprised if this gets delayed, especially with many things still in flux because of Covid. But if 2021 is still their target release, then they probably have a plan to start marketing soon, and I'd find it weird if this game isn't revealed on June 11 but RE8 is considering they're both releasing the same year and the latter is a cross-gen title. Friday is supposed to be their big next-gen reveal so a cross-gen title being prioritized would be strange, imo.

I mean, it's not fixed and I could be wrong, but just my two cents here.

Lord Fanny

Banned
Apr 25, 2020
Oh yeah it's definitely tight and I wouldn't be surprised if this gets delayed, especially with many things still in flux because of Covid. But if 2021 is still their target release, then they probably have a plan to start marketing soon, and I'd find it weird if this game isn't revealed on June 11 but RE8 is considering they're both releasing the same year and the latter is a cross-gen title. Friday is supposed to be their big next-gen reveal so a cross-gen title being prioritized would be strange, imo.

I mean, it's not fixed and I could be wrong, but just my two cents here.

Well, it depends on when in 2021 we're potentially talking about. If it's early 2021, sure, but if it's later in the year, there's still a lot of time. Most of the games came out in the June-September range, for instance, so if that's what we're looking at they still have a lot of marketing time. RE8 is apparently planned for as early as January, so they have a much tighter window if that remains true.

And RE8, in general, is going to be a far bigger game than SH whether it's crossgen or not, so it's not that strange one way regardless

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
So a crazy shot in the dark. What if Antony Johnston is the writer on this?

The timing matches up, he's worked on a Japanese game before, Cerny randomly brought up Dead Space in the PS5 presentation. To be clear, I think this has like a 1% chance of being right, but it would be fun to have called it if it is lol.

EDIT: He could also be on RE8 since RE7 was a Western writer too.

Status
Not open for further replies.