• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

nolifebr

Banned
Sep 1, 2018
Curitiba/BR
fBVytvn6QfinKPc9bVXMYEXfA0_eGE1LzIi0j7t89XPR_NMdH1hIg0VAbKRuliOBZvkZ8k-51zid5GYgBX7AmVOdkQsxgE9-Iu_-NtUqwvYsyr0Vv04vivlompv1hRrn1-Pt2TiDRHnBdOgOJ1eCe9v7dXQc3FpvZIY0YKeKjls4ELWoI49a2Qfi1SME4XPG

A computer-implemented method assigns one or more trophies to a user. A game is emulated in response to a request from a client device. A trophy trigger is detected during emulation of the game by comparing a memory value of the emulated game to a predetermined value and assigning the one or more trophies to the user based on the detected trophy trigger.

Dest

Has seen more 10s than EA ever will
Coward
Jun 4, 2018
Work
they gonna patent this and then do nothing with it watch

MrChocolate

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Don't make me hope... I can imagine popping up my Incredible Crisis disc on PS5 and playing just like it does on PS1 + Trophies ;__;

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
Isn't that what PS2 on PS4 was already doing? Are we sure this is not just refreshing a patent?

nsilvias

Oct 25, 2017
Stop with the trophy shit in emulated games. Its just gonna kill bc again like last time with ps2 on ps4

ratify

Feb 18, 2021
This news combined with the rumor they are closing down the PS3, PSP, etc. stores makes me hope they will consolidate those game stores into one overall store via emulation and use this tech to allow trophies.

JaseC64

Enlightened
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Strong Island NY
Are we sure this is new?

I thought this was posted on about before PS2 classics released on PS4.

This isn't new and it's applied to PS2 classics on PSN currently. (For use on PS4/PS5)

Izanagi89

Oct 27, 2017
PSP games were running in an emulator and had trophies. So something similar maybe? I highly doubt this means anything related to BC lol

Oct 25, 2017
New York City
Considering that:

- 3rd party games on the original Xbox, 360, PS3, Steam, and other systems with system-wide rewards have been doing this for years

- retro achievements has been doing this for years

I don't understand how they can patent this? I thought patents wouldn't hold up in court if an earlier implementation was found. There must be something I'm missing here...

Vash

Oct 28, 2017
Are we sure this is new?

I thought this was posted on about before PS2 classics released on PS4.

This isn't new and it's applied to PS2 classics on PSN currently. (For use on PS4/PS5)

It does sound like something they used for that, but the patent says it was applied for last year, and published five days ago.

This does make you think...

I hope this means the PS3 and older titles will migrate to PS5, and that full BC (both digital and physical) is coming to the platform. Being able to download old PS1 games I bought digitally on PS3, Vita, and more would be great.

Deleted member 1003

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
PS2 for PS4 did this, that's why the had so few games. You have to go back to each game and set a trigger. A huge pain in the rear.

Toumari

Oct 27, 2017
England
According to the given dates it isn't

US8898125B2 - Method and apparatus for awarding trophies - Google Patents

A method and apparatus for adding trophy support games that do not have trophies without modifying the original game. The method and apparatus are used to detect particular disk access, use the detected disk access as potential trophy triggers in games, and recognize the triggers while a game is...

This is the same patent with the same exact diagrams that was applied for in 2012.

It's possible it's just a refresh, but it's nothing new.

Edit - Seems this patent is reading from disc, this one from 2016 seems to match the one in OP:

https://patentscope.wipo.int/search/en/detail.jsf?docId=WO2017096062&tab=PCTBIBLIO

Last edited:

Qwark

Oct 27, 2017
If they're refreshing it, maybe they'll look at another classics system for PS5? I'd love for them to revisit. They killed it far too soon, didn't even get to PS1 games.

Thorn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Imagine a world where game companies realize that we would love to play older games.

raketenrolf

Oct 28, 2017
Germany
This shit again. Who needs Trophies for old games anyway if it means it takes ages to release them and at the same time too expensive/time consuming to bother for various pubs? Just release them as is, with a res boost like on Xbox.

I mean they tried with PS2 to PS4 games. But there is so much wrong with these games. Worst thing of all is the performance, the framepacing issues, especially for PAL games.

the-pi-guy

Oct 29, 2017
Diagrams are slightly different from the earlier 2012/2013 ones. Not sure why they would need to refresh something like this.

Hexa

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
1. This is essentially a continuation of an application that was originally applied for in 2015.
2. This one specifically isn't a patent, only an application that hasn't been reviewed at all yet. There are two applications in the same family that have been granted patents though. US10850201B2 and US10213693B2.

Last edited:

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
Be interesting if they made it easier to implement, it was apparently a hassle for the PS2 games on PS4 that got them.