• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 26, 2017
It definitely affects whether I buy Virtual Console or Classics. I stopped buying VC while we don't know what's happening with Switch VC. Once PS4 launched i stopped buying Classics dead and I'll never buy another one because there is flat out no excuse for them not to work on PS4.

Whether I buy a PS5 or not is a different matter though

Marukoban

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
BC is one of the big reason to consider PC as main platform.
Store like Steam (as long as it operates) won't block access to your older game.
Plus most older console can be emulated on PC.

Ricky_R

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I don't really care about it tbh, but I understand those who do. It's definitely a nice feature to have, but not really a critical one though.

Sony may or may not include it in the PS5 (I'm betting they're not), but not doing so won't really affect them all that much.

rycisko

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
No ps1 or ps2 BC is inexcusable though.

Selling you ps1 / ps2 classics that you own on PS3 again is super fucked.

This is the choice Sony made that still pisses me off the most. It's not currently having any BC, it's selling me those older titles when they didn't have BC before, and giving me zero options now. On the one-in-a-million chance they offer me some sort of discount with titles still in my purchase history I'd be a happy man, but lets be real here...

RedSwirl

Oct 25, 2017
Sales-wise, the most significant thing about BC isn't even really letting people keep playing games they bought 10 years ago, it's opening up access to huge back catalogs of games to sell without having to go through the trouble of remastering or remaking all of them.

GOG/Virtual Console/PS1 Classics are/were entire business models built off of this. From what I understand publishers love that extra bit of revenue they get from putting 15-year-old games on sale on Steam periodically. Sure, Sony and Nintendo get that in a selective sort of way by simply remastering and re-releasing a bunch of old games, but simply allowing digital BC is the only way the majority of those old libraries will ever become available. PS1/PS2 Classics allowed Sony to pretty much just toss ISOs onto PSN after getting the licensing worked out. Were the licensing costs so great that Sony simply decided to remaster and re-release those games for $40 each? Or $15 in the case of the emulated PS2 games on PS4?

Again, this may become a bigger issue in the future as today's games-as-a-service titles become legacy games in the age of the PS5 and Next Xbox, and maybe Sony and Microsoft will want to support some gamers who continue to play those games and buy lootboxes for them.

KalBalboa

Oct 30, 2017
Massachusetts
No ps1 or ps2 BC is inexcusable though.

Yeah, the fact they've had zero PS1 legacy support on PS4 is bewildering to me.

Vita, PSP, and PS3 all shared PSone classics support down to memory card save transfers over wifi. PS4 should have supported some form of compatability with the classic section of PSN, even if we went through a Nintendo-style $1 "upgrade" path. I play a lot of PS2 titles on my PS4 thanks to the cleaner picture output to my 4K set, not to mention Share Play and trophies. There's so much money just waiting on the table for Sony and various publishers right now.

Considering the streaming method of PS Now would require crazy bandwidth to stream PS1/PS2 video for ISOs that range from 50mb to 9gb in total, I think there's an irrefutable argument that the PS4 should have a universal emulator/wrapper for PS1 titles. I would love trophies for all those old titles, too, but I don't know if it's worth going years and years with zero support for that library.

Last edited:

PlainOldJosh

Nov 4, 2017
What is everyones reasons for choosing Multiplatform games?

If it's a game genre like FPS, I choose PC because of mouse and keyboard.

If it's a online multiplayer game, I choose PC because I refuse to pay extra for online play.

If it's a single player game that I play with a controller, then I usually buy it on console. Mainly because of the resale value of physical console games. But also because of the portable/TV versatility in the case of the Nintendo Switch.