• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Wishbone Ash

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
Michigan
I have been seeing the game for $5 at Best Buy for probably two years now. It sucks when Sony does this, but I can't imagine a lot of people have played this lately, even considering its VR only

LinkStrikesBack

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Sony needs to stop doing this shit.

What does the PlayStation plus subscription even pay for?

All the games with online functionality should maintain that functionality for at least the entire genre plus the one following it, if not longer, as long as you're subscribed.

Poimandres

Oct 26, 2017
Wonder how many people have been playing? Obviously very few, but if there are a few dedicated people still having fun this sucks.

Is Rigs still online? Was always interested in that one.

noyram23

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Well this add confidence on buying relatively niche mp games PSN, what's the use for PS+ then?

OMEGALUL

Banned
Oct 10, 2018
I'm surprised it lasted so sound, VR only and a online only multiplayer seems like a losing combo.

behOemoth

Oct 27, 2017

All the games with online functionality should maintain that functionality for at least the entire genre plus the one following it, if not longer, as long as you're subscribed.
Plus isn't paying for Sony's games but the overall online services.

Pankratous

Oct 26, 2017

Waaaaaaaaaah! Sony needs to stop closing servers that nobody uses!

They gave out this game for free of PS+ and still nobody plays it. Why should they keep servers open and waste money?

Cokie Bear

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I've literally never even heard of this game. Do we know how many players it gets on average?

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
Not too shocked. Starblood Arena never took off in the PSVR community. It looked neat but nothing that unique to stand out from the crowd of other cockpit shooters in VR.

LinkStrikesBack

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017

They gave out this game for free of PS+ and still nobody plays it. Why should they keep servers open and waste money?

Because people paid for it?

Jesus h Christ what is the point of paying for online if they're still going to shut servers down at random for games.

The corporate defense in this thread is incredible, Sony doesn't give a fuck about you, just your money, at least demand what is being paid for.

Sony can't afford the partisanship to use the plus subscription to maintain their online games.

You can't honestly believe that with the near 700 million dollars they get in ps+ subs each year.

Deleted member 20297

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017

If Sony is not able to scale online servers as we usually nowadays in 2019 with all the possibilities, than they are definitely to blame here. You could even spin up a small instance of it on demand. This doesn't paint a good picture on how they handle online services for games in general.

Adree

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah it does, but the game's always online because of the xp system. Don't you remember all the threads complaining about it? It was half a year before GT Sport.

Nah because I put the game down since it the bots were insane and while it was fun to turn off all the comfort limiters it was one of the best ways to make me get really sick fast.

Oct 30, 2017
Because people paid for it?

Jesus h Christ what is the point of paying for online if they're still going to shut servers down at random for games.

The corporate defense in this thread is incredible, Sony doesn't give a fuck about you, just your money, at least demand what is being paid for.

You can't honestly believe that with the near 700 million dollars they get in ps+ subs each year.

How long should it be playable for? Forever? They looked at the numbers and axed it.

If you're gonna point out corporate defending, maybe don't do it while displaying faux outrage.

bombshell

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Denmark
If Sony is not able to scale online servers as we usually nowadays in 2019 with all the possibilities, than they are definitely to blame here. You could even spin up a small instance of it on demand. This doesn't paint a good picture on how they handle online services for games in general.
Do you think that removes the need for maintenance of the game servers?

Intel_89

Oct 25, 2017
Portugal
It's not really that great of a game tbh, kinda felt like it had the same amount of untapped potential as Drawn to Death.

Storm

Oct 25, 2017
First party games shouldn't shut down. Especially first party games from this generation.

Perfect Dark Zero is still up even.

Gay Bowser

Oct 30, 2017

I don't normally like to be that guy who accuses others of defending "anti-consumer" actions, but: why are you defending this anti-consumer action?

The way people put the interests of the corporation who provides them with Gaming Content™ above their own interests is fucking wild, man. "Why should they keep servers open and waste money?" Oh, idunno, because they sold a product to people that relied on those servers? They got money from a bunch of people for that game, who reasonably expected that it would be usable for more than two years? Why is it your concern if keeping those servers open is a waste of money? It's part of the cost of providing people with the game they already paid for.

And before people start with the strawman of "oh, so you think the servers should be up forever?" (EDIT: too late...), no, nobody's saying that. It's unreasonable to expect that the servers for any game will be up until the heat death of the universe. But the people buying the game do have a reasonable expectation that it will be playable for a reasonable amount of time, and I'd love to hear someone tell me why they think it's okay for that to only be two years.

You're allowed to like your PlayStation and still think that Sony occasionally does bullshit moves, guys.

Last edited:

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
I don't get how anyone can defend first party games getting their servers closed in the same generation they release in. I'm still pissed for GR2

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
To think that there's still dead-ish Xbox 360 games with active servers to this day. Sony is definitely trigger-happy when it comes to shooting down servers of underperforming games.

KingdomKey

Oct 27, 2017
Barley found any matches a year ago anyways. I'm guessing very few people will care about it shutting down.

qrac

Nov 13, 2017
That sucks for the people that payed for the game. This should not be allowed to happen. I hope EU does something about it -> Like a set of minimum years a game has to be accessable or if shutdown before the minimum then the dev have to implement dedicated server options.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
I mean, if nobody plays it anymore and the servers are empty, can you blame them? 🤷‍♂️

Seeing as the game requires an online connection, even the single player, and thus will become completely unplayable in any form, yeah, I think you can blame them for selling people a game and then making it 100% a coaster two years in.

I wondered if they'd consider patching it to enable offline play for the single player stuff but their announcement of this specifically says 'As you have to be online to play this title, this game will not be playable starting 07/25/19.'

Oct 27, 2017

They can at the very least patch in an offline mode? This is on them and fuck Sony for doing this.

Should have also patched Gravity Rush 2 to get the content that needed you to be online.

Patch is the very least they can do.

Brutalitops

Dec 6, 2017
Starting to regret stacking my Plus subscription for so long. Really see no reason to hold onto it much longer

KORNdog

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
They should really release an update to remove the necessity to be online, so it at least remains functional. This is why I don't buy into online only titles. Because ultimately one day, the servers for that game will die and you end up with a coaster.

Axass

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
How long should it be playable for? Forever?
Yes. Is it so hard to understand? People are being asked to pay for an online service, Sony is making thousands of millions thanks to that. You can't really think they're "wasting money" over servers for one game barely played. It's disgusting that they keep doing this, even if almost none play the game.

Why do you people as consumers keep defending huge corporations is beyond me. They don't need your help, and they really don't need the few dollars they saved closing the servers: it's a move that has pretty much no repercussions on their finances in the grand scheme of things.

Corporations aren't your friends, also they don't need your protection. You should fight for consumers' rights, not the opposite. No wonder America is so behind on that compared to Europe.

Psykotik

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Brunei
if nobody is playing this game anymore, online or offline (even if that was an option), why would sony even want to keep paying money to keep the servers online? nobody is playing the game. nobody wants to play the game.

BernardoOne

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
if nobody is playing this game anymore, online or offline (even if that was an option), why would sony even want to keep paying money to keep the servers online? nobody is playing the game. nobody wants to play the game.
Can we stop with these garbage posts already?
People do still play it. Not many, but it does still have players.

SheriffMcDuck

Oct 27, 2017
Yes. Is it so hard to understand? People are being asked to pay for an online service, Sony is making thousands of millions thanks to that. You can't really think they're "wasting money" over servers for one game barely played. It's disgusting that they keep doing this, even if almost none play the game.

Why do you people as consumers keep defending huge corporations is beyond me. They don't need your help, and they really don't need the few dollars they saved closing the servers: it's a move that has pretty much no repercussions on their finances in the grand scheme of things.

Corporations aren't your friends, also they don't need your protection. You should fight for consumers' rights, not the opposite. No wonder America is so behind on that compared to Europe.

While the users sarcastic reply was unwarranted. There doesn't seem to be a reason to keep servers up for a game that has such little players. Server rental isn't expensive, but if there are sub-100 people playing a game(I'd venture that it's sub-20, honestly), there's very little reason to keep the server up.

Sony doesn't need defense or help, like you said, but I can definitely see why this is happening. They should patch an offline mode but it probably isn't going to happen.