• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

MattAces

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Malaysia

The video accompanies a new research paper titled 'Evaluation of Machine Learning Techniques for Hand Pose Estimation on Handheld Device with Proximity Sensor'. Crucially, the work is authored by Kazuyuki Arimatsu and Hideki Mori from Sony Interactive Entertainment. That's the division of Sony specifically responsible for the PlayStation brand, and not the wider corp.
uploadvr.com

Watch: Sony Reveals Research On Next-Gen Finger-Tracked VR Controllers

Past patents have suggested that Sony is working on finger-tracking for a new VR motion controller, possibly PlayStation Move 2, to be paired with an unannounced PSVR 2 headset. Now a new video from Sony researchers gives us a much more solid look at that work. The video accompanies a

Blent

Oct 26, 2017
East Midlands, England, UK
That sounds awesome.

Personally, I'm more excited about what the next-generation of console hardware will mean for VR than anything else.

I can't wait to hear about any next-generation PSVR hardware.

RoboPlato

Oct 25, 2017
PSVR2 is going to be such a massive leap in every department. Very excited to see what comes of it.

Napalm_Frank

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Finland
I'm lowkey excited for VR developers since PSVR2 should make multiplatform VR games a whole lot easier when they don't have to design around PS4 and especially the substandard Move controllers.

VR gonna be so good next gen.

HStallion

Oct 25, 2017
Wow, this is incredibly impressive to see. PSVR2 could be something really special from a lot of the things we've seen coming out of Sony and the VR development space in general. With the power of a PS5 backing it we could see some truly amazing experiences.

gofreak

Oct 26, 2017
It'll be interesting to see in the end if they'll blend more than one approach, to cover off different weaknesses in each. From patent literature they've been doing a lot of work on finger tracking.

If they get good eye tracking in there too, we'll have an especially massive jump up next-gen I think.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
I'd be happy with current quest as a baseline (other than comfort). onboard camera tracking, decent controllers, can do finger tracking too.

Wollan

Mostly Positive
Oct 25, 2017
Norway but living in France
Fingertracking is nice but I believe the capacitive fingertracking seen in the Index controller is sufficient enough for the next few years (and practically reliable).
Foveated rendering / eye-tracking should be the big holy grail that everyone should be pouring all resources into now. Even if you start with 'unprecise'/high-latency eye-tracking that only gives you a 50% foveated rendering win that's still a big step in the right direction (and opens up big possibilities in game design, characters recognizing your gaze etc.). If they manage to get that into a *<$400 PSVR2 headset than that's a triumph.

HStallion

Oct 25, 2017
Fingertracking is nice but I believe the capacitive fingertracking seen in the Index controller is sufficient enough for the next few years (and practically reliable).
Foveated rendering / eye-tracking should be the big holy grail that everyone should be chasing right now. Even if you start with 'unprecise'/high-latency eye-tracking that only gives you 50% foveated rendering win that's still a big move in the right direction (and opens big possibilities in design).

Sony has been looking into this tech for a while now, they even had Infamous Second Son demos where you could aim using only your eyes. I think the issue was the tech was prohibitively expensive at that point in time. I believe they've been looking into using something similar in the VR headsets but who knows how feasible it is.

Calverz

Oct 28, 2017
Good. A step closer to where VR needs to be. Doesnt solve the problem of movement though. Thats a much bigger problem in my opinion.

score01

Oct 27, 2017
Have to admit that was pretty amazing. Imagine having to manipulate objects like that doll or something similar with your hands in order to solve puzzles in games...

HStallion

Oct 25, 2017
Good. A step closer to where VR needs to be. Doesnt solve the problem of movement though. Thats a much bigger problem in my opinion.

Movement is either going to require a room just to move around in for VR stuff or more realistically some kind of omni-directional treadmill, which there are some examples of but they are not exactly where the tech needs to be.

gabdeg

Oct 26, 2017
🐝
PSVR2 is going to be incredible with improved tracking and a powerful CPU at the developers disposal. I hope they manage to get an RGB OLED panel this time around as well.

HStallion

Oct 25, 2017
Didn't realise PSVR2 was actually a thing. I'm looking forward to hearing more about it.

Sony is in it for the long haul with VR and have been putting out patents and other info on their continued VR development. PSVR2 could be a really impressive piece of tech with all the advancements made by Sony and the VR development space in general especially since its probably not coming for at least a year after the PS5 launches.

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
How does this compare to whats on PC right now in terms if ability to match finger movement?

afrodubs

Oct 27, 2017
Looking good, I wonder how long until we see it? How long would it take to include good eye tracking FR at an affordable price? Can't wait, I'm in!

Wollan

Mostly Positive
Oct 25, 2017
Norway but living in France
Add this to the crazy sound tech - Sony is about to make reality obsolete.